next Head Coach

Eagle-1

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

do you think of the two Vennables might be the better option given the state of Nebraska's program and Frost's connection/attractiveness to them?

Is the draw for Frost to Nebraska truly that much greater than Venables to Kansas State (or any other coach to their alma mater)?  As I understand it CBV and Snyder are close.  There doesn't seem to be any reservations about him leaving for KSU when 78-year-old Bill Snyder decides to re-retire, which frankly could happen at any time.  And while it doesn't mean everything, Frost did choose Stanford over home state Nebraska.  Again, that was a long time ago, and he choose to play for Bill Walsh, but at that time in his life he was willing to skip out on the Huskers (and an offense perfectly suited for his skill set) for a better gig.

WDE!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

I'm totally down for Scott Frost, but I feel he may slip out of our grasp before they drop the hammer on Gus.?

if we want him we will get him. Nebraska is not a good job anymore. He would only be going there because he played there. The recruiting base is awful.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:57 AM, AU64 said:

I'm surprised in the interest in Venables....no HC experience to my knowledge and while he is good at what he is doing, seems he would just be Muschamp 2.0   or maybe Gus 2.0 ......a coordinator who has to learn how to be the HC on our dime...or our four million dollars as the case might be.  

Might as well take Heath up on his offer....get the same amount of HC experience,  though Evans comes with an AU background which might cause him to be persona non grata to some on this board. 

Venables isnt leaving Clemson. His son plays there or soon will be. He's making million plus and treated like a king.

1 minute ago, Builder said:

Venables isnt leaving Clemson. His sons plays there or soon will be. He's making million plus and treated like a king.

Good points...and everyone does not aspire to be a HC.

On 10/14/2017 at 6:59 PM, Randman5000 said:

We aren't getting those big names. So here's a list

1. Dino Babers

2. Scott Frost 

That's all I got for now. But I'll add more later. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/138889/ucf-coach-scott-frosts-new-role-scout-team-quarterback

5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Mike Gundy won't leave Oklahoma State. As for Jess Bromm, I don't know much about him.

i don't know much about him either...now, jeff brohm, i have heard of

9 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Mike Gundy won't leave Oklahoma State. As for Jess Bromm, I don't know much about him.

Ole Jess Bromm doesn’t have the sack to coach for us.  

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Scott Frost has a 11-7 record plus he's 0-1 in bowl games while at UCF.

After taking over an 0-12 team that looked gave up when O'Leary resigned after losing by 46 to Houston. Not to mention he was in his first year of being a HC with a 1st year OC and a 1st year DC. He's also 6-0 this year. 

Let's look at some of those 7 losses too-

1. @ #5 Michigan (14-51)

This was one of 4 games that they lost by more than 7 points. It was also on the road at a team that ended up going to a New Year's 6 bowl, and that could probably win on talent alone. Not counting this one against Frost.

2. Maryland (24-30, 2OT)

1st game for Milton as the starter, took a B1G team (with DJ Durkin, a coach I really like at the helm) into double overtime and lost on an unfortunate fumble. Close game.

3. Temple (25-26)

Temple went 7-1 and won the AAC in 2016. They had 3 players drafted in the NFL draft, 1 in the first round. They were a good football team, and UCF lost by 1.

4. Houston (24-31)

Houston came back after 4 turnovers in the 2nd half (2 fumbles, 1 interception, 1 turnover on downs), and it's not like they were a bad team. After all, they beat Oklahoma last year, and their HC is now coaching at Texas.

5. Tulsa (20-35)

Tulsa is actually being coached by another guy I like for the Auburn job, Phillip Montgomery, who was formerly the offensive coordinator at Baylor under Art Briles. Tulsa's only losses in 2016 were to #4 Ohio State, #13 Houston, and Navy, all of them away games. Another good team.

6. South Florida (31-48)

Coached by a guy who was hired by Oregon and led by a dynamite QB (who was a Heisman dark horse at the beginning of the season). USF went 11-2 last year, losing to Florida State and Temple.

7. Arkansas State (13-31)

The worst loss of the year. Arky State was not a good team, 8-5 with a loss to Central Arkansas. Bowl games can be weird, but the Knights should have won this one.

So out of the 7 losses, I would say that 5 of them were to good teams (Michigan, Temple, Houston, Tulsa, and South Florida). 3 of the 7 were by more than 7 points, the others were by 3, 7, 1, and 6. 

On 10/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, AUEngineer2016 said:

That's fair, but I personally think passing on Frost would be a huge mistake. To me, he's exactly what Auburn needs (and what we thought we were getting with Gus): Energetic guy with an explosive offensive approach who players love. 

Some added stats

• Arky State under Gus in 2012 was 26th in Scoring Offense (34.9 PPG), 43rd in Scoring Defense (24.5 PPG). 
  • UCF under Frost in 2016 was 66th in Scoring Offense (28.8 PPG), 41st in Scoring Defense (24.6 PPG).
  • UCF under Frost in 2017 is 1st in Scoring Offense (50.6 PPG), 14th in Scoring Defense (16.8 PPG). 

I get that Frost doesn't have a ton of experience as a head coach, but his resume doesn't lie- the guy just fricking wins. It's very telling to me that he went from Co-DC/LB coach at FCS Northern Iowa to WR coach at Oregon. Chip Kelly obviously saw something in him that he liked.

Pros And Cons:

• Pros:
    • Turned UCF from 0-12 to top 15 in Scoring Offense and Scoring Defense in 2 years
    • Protoge of Chip Kelly.
    • Played under Tom Osborne, Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, and Jon Gruden.
    • Has experience as an OC and a DC at the D1 level, and was successful at both
    • Young and brings lots of energy to the program
    • Former Broyles award winner (and has coached a Heisman winner)
    • Former national championship winning Quarterback and NFL Safety
  • Cons
    • Only has 2 years of HC experience.

Frost reminds me a lot of Tom Herman in the coaching realm, so much in fact that they are the same age. He has a TREMENDOUS upside, and IMO he will create a powerhouse wherever he goes. I want that to be Auburn.

^ +1000 In addition something tells me he would like the challenge of coaching in the SEC West. 

Frost reminds me of malzahn. 

I like venables and clark bc theyve been around the coaching world long enough to know what system they want to run and what its weaknesses are. Idk if Frost has been around long enough to have his system broken-down yet

They were running down Frost on The Drive yesterday. The guy sounds great. He's been around some of the best coaches in modern history. He has college and NFL experience, playing. If I was the athletic department, I'd be trying to get this guy RIGHT NOW! After him, I think Braum should be next. 

18 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Frost reminds me of malzahn. 

I like venables and clark bc theyve been around the coaching world long enough to know what system they want to run and what its weaknesses are. Idk if Frost has been around long enough to have his system broken-down yet

The system is...there is no system.  The problem with Gus is he has a system...and that system is not flexible and adapts very slowly.  The coach up the road, however, has a process, not a system.  He's moved subtly from offensive system to offensive system based on personnel, his OC, and trends.

Everyone keeps posting names of coaches due to their great offensive or defensive style. Why not find a coach based on his likely hood to win at this level and let him hire OC/DCs that run great offenses and defenses? That is the whole purpose of having OC/DCs . HCs need to be hired based upon their leadership credentials. Being tough and knowledgeable leaders . Gus was a good offensive mind but a lousy leader. Muschamp and Chizik were great defensive coaches but again were not good leaders. So we need to quit hunting HCs on their ability to be a coordinator.

19 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Everyone keeps posting names of coaches due to their great offensive or defensive style. Why not find a coach based on his likely hood to win at this level and let him hire OC/DCs that run great offenses and defenses? That is the whole purpose of having OC/DCs . HCs need to be hired based upon their leadership credentials. Being tough and knowledgeable leaders . Gus was a good offensive mind but a lousy leader. Muschamp and Chizik were great defensive coaches but again were not good leaders. So we need to quit hunting HCs on their ability to be a coordinator.

The defensive staff doesn't really need to change. If they do decide to move on, I hope whoever is hired will keep the defensive staff as is and just replace the offensive pieces. If you go back and look at Chip's old offenses, they balled out. We need an actual WR coach and I still have not been impressed with our oline play. I would call out the TEs but we don't use them so I don't have feedback on Porter. With all of that being said, we took a gamble bringing Gus in and now we are talking about bringing in someone else who is really untested. I just have not seen anyone mentioned that IMO will win more than the 8 games a season we will now. 

18 hours ago, Butthead said:

if i am auburn's prez, i hand-deliver Foley a $500K check to be a consultant for me until this mess is cleaned up.  i fire JJ today.  i ask foley to interview ADs for me and give me his opinion.  then let the new ad clean, with Foley's assistance if asked for, house. 

This is the smartest thing I have read in a month.

Give Patterson the big money and bring him to the Plains. 

I've wanted this guy for years. Lol

As much as I'd love to hang on to the defensive staff I'd sacrifice them for a new head coach. The only reason we feel like we want to keep the staff is that its been so long since the D has been good and we don't want to let this go but a good defense is not exclusive to this staff. A new good head coach will be perfectly capable of building another top notch staff.

Plus, what self respecting coach is going to take a job where there are demands that he has no say in literally one half of his staff?

17 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I really like Patterson, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed. It's kind of like Petrino, at this point. It just wasn't meant to be. 

18 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I say make it a double and hire the TCU AD as well.

48 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I'm just going to leave this here...

Scott Frost plays Scout Team QB to help team prepare for Navy

7 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Scott Frost plays Scout Team QB to help team prepare for Navy

The more I read about Scott Frost, the more I'm ready write the check for him.  He is young, energetic, with NFL and college experience.  His UCF team ranks 1st in total offense in the American Athletic Conference, and 2nd in total defense. In an article I read he said that he enjoys recruiting at UCF much more than Oregon because he can drive to several different towns and recruit the natural pipeline of prospects in Florida, instead of having to fly thousands of miles and try and convince a kid and his parents to come play football in the northwest.  Auburn would be a terrific place for him. He could make several recruiting trips a day and unlike Nebraska, Auburn is a strong program whereas Nebraska is dying off.  I do worry UFlorida will make a run at him.

“I've been recruiting all week,” Frost said last year upon taking his name out of the running at Oregon. “[One day,] I drove to a [nearby] town in Florida, recruited and was back in Orlando that night. [The next day,] I drove to another town in Florida and was back at home that night. That's a lot different than flying all over the country and sleeping in a different state every night.”

•Scott is an avid pheasant hunter and golfer. His hunting dog, named Bogey in honor of his love for golf, passed away last week.

•Scott competed in football, basketball, wrestling and track until he reached high school, when he dropped wrestling to focus on the other sports.

•He is a former nationally ranked pentathlete and was coached by his mother, Carol.

•Scott didn't come off the football field during his junior year at Wood River High. In addition to lining up on offense and defense, he played trumpet for the school's marching band during halftime.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-scott-frost-nebraska-mike-bianchi-0921-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-scott-frost-1213-20151212-story.html

59 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

I apologize but not following what your getting at. First I’m not criticizing any coach just merely pointing out what we need is more of a CEO type guy that will go out and get good coordinators and position coaches and build a support staff that covers every area that will give us an advantage over our competition. I have nothing against up and coming coaches but usually older and more experienced coaches have two import qualities that I like. First they have a wide network of other coaches to bring in with them. And second they have the credibility to get other good coordinators and position coaches to follow them to a school.

Archived