next Head Coach

Eagle-1

14 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Look at Brian Doball the new OC at uat. He just came to college from the NFL. He seems to be doing good.  

Yep, he walks into a team that has talent similar to an NFL team. Don't you think most OC's would prosper with that set up?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Aucater said:

Yep, he walks into a team that has talent similar to an NFL team. Don't you think most OC's would prosper with that set up?

The AU setup ain't chopped liver....but, how could anyone actually know this?

1 hour ago, Aucater said:

You might want to look at JH last year versus this year. He was an athelete last year playing QB this year he is a quarterback. But the remark was to someone saying coaches from the nfl don’t come back to college. Also thanks for making my other point that Nick is running it like an NFL team . We are still playing like a highschool. I just think it’s time we stepped up our games do quit hiring highschool coaches

1). Brohm.  Yes please.  Offensive mind and bro Brian a former pro qb who coaches qbs.  What is there not to like.  Would he leave Purdue after one yr?  I think he would to coach in SEC, with a team that is already stacked, and a school that will pay him and his assistants.  

2). Fuente.  Would very much like.   Offensive mind; coached Paxton Lynch.  Would bring O staff but could very likely keep Twill and RG.  Would he leave VT after two yrs?  Well he was HC at Memphis only 3 yrs.  Young family may really like Auburn.

3) Frost - Nebraska has already said they are  getting money together to make him an offer and increase pay for his assistants.  Unless he wants to coach in the SEC, I doubt we are more attractive than his alma mater or UCF.  He would be a great hire but I don't think he is an option.

Please AU get going and bring one of these guys in!

48 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

2). Fuente.  Would very much like.   Offensive mind; coached Paxton Lynch.  Would bring O staff but could very likely keep Twill and RG.  Would he leave VT after two yrs?  Well he was HC at Memphis only 3 yrs.  Young family may really like Auburn.

He is the guy I want. Since we won't get Chip Kelly or Chris Peterson. Of course, he left Memphis for VT. Length at a group of 5 school doesn't matter. My issue is why would Fuente come? SEC is going down and the ACC is on the rise. SEC is a 2 team conference this year. UGA and Bama.

Talking with my dad I'm back on the Chris Klieman train. His Bisons blew out Jacksonville State in the FCS championship game against a J'ville team that as we all know we're loaded with SEC caliber talent. You may argue N. Dakota St. Is the "Alabama" of FCS but just how much talent exists within the North Dakota pipeline? Either they are pulling talent from the competition or they are coaching at an elite level. Either way that's what I want for Auburn.

What's Mr. Yellawood's number?

On 10/16/2017 at 8:09 PM, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Here is my suggestion.  Go Hire Scott Frost but tell him to keep the defensive side of the coaches...come in and turn this around.  He has done a wonderful job at UCF and is young enough to put in the time.  His offense is clicking and has made his team tough.

Thoughts?

Would you take a HC job where your first condition was you had to keep the current defensive staff? Any coach worth hiring is going to want control of that. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Would you take a HC job where your first condition was you had to keep the current defensive staff? Any coach worth hiring is going to want control of that. 

It depends.  If I knew that that part of the staff had things clicking, I would.  Also, the coach would have the option of letting them go after the first season if production fell off.  

11 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I have been pretty firm in the Brohm camp. Another name I'm starting to warm up to is Dave Doeren, at NC State. Won two back to back MAC championships at N. Illinois. Think he is in season 5 at State. Not a great record so far, but has them at 6-1 so far this season, and has made good progress with that program. Should have beaten Clemson last year, if not for a missed chip shot field goal. Curious as to some of your thoughts.

I am pretty sure NC State almost beat Clemson last year.  I mean like out played them for sure.   Impressive.

For me, I am not a big fan of his resume.  I like his record this year and in the MAC, but he has a very experienced team and you don't always have that in the SEC.

Also for me, I don't like his coaching tree.  At all.  who has he learned his craft from?  Who has he learned leadership from?  This is possibly the #1 reason Gus has failed.  He never studied under anyone successful except Chiz and that was so short in duration.  And he didn't see the implosion.  Lots can be learned from failure if you open your eyes.

No good coach will come to Auburn while Jay Jacobs is our AC.  JJ has crashed the entire Athletic Cept.  He should have been let go years ago.  I've said this for several years now and only received poo poos from this forum.  As recently as two years ago I was assured by the resident college football expert here that Rhett Lashlee was an excellent OC when it was clear he was completely incompetent.  Now Jacobs has sat quietly while the gorls' softball coaches were sexually harassing the players.  He said nothing.  He allowed the basketball coaches to run amok committing federal crimes.  All our teams stink.  And the board of trustees meets about some real estate matters and still don't fire Jacobs.  Until  Jacobs is gone we will not get a first class coach because NO ONE wants to come to a department lead by Jacobs.

Yeah, we’re gonna have to go head to head with Nebraska for Frost. Fuente has absolutely no reason to leave VT, a program about on par with us.

Remember where Leath is from. Could come in handy if ISU keeps winning, just sayin.’ They’re 5-2 right now, crushed an ok Texas Tech team in Lubbock today. (Could you imagine how much they’d hate us if we got him? They already despised us for Chizik.)

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah, we’re gonna have to go head to head with Nebraska for Frost. Fuente has absolutely no reason to leave VT, a program about on par with us.

Remembwr where Leath is from. Could come in handy if they keep winning, just sayin.’

I would think we could pay Fuente much more.  He would need it since I agree with your premise regarding him.  Based on logic, Frost may be an easier get than Fuente since Nebraska is a crap show and does not have the built in advantages that we do compared to them in terms of recruiting and playing in the SEC.

wde

Just now, AUwent said:

Remembwr where Leath is from. Could come in handy if they keep winning, just sayin.’

a program on par with us? va tech has nowhere close to the historical significance that Auburn does when it comes to college football. I am guessing you meant now. Beamer for his last few years had a mediocre program and fuente has elevated it. I am not scared of going head to head with nebraska when it comes to a coach. Even if said coach went there. Frost is a smart guy he knows nebraska is a really hard job because of the recruiting base. Todd McShay made a interesting point the other day on the Russillo Show. He said if Nebraska is the only big time job that comes calling for frost he would be better suited to just stay at central florida where you can field a really good team with the recruits in florida that the big boys do not get as you wait for a better job to come along.

4 hours ago, mom2kid said:

1). Brohm.  Yes please.  Offensive mind and bro Brian a former pro qb who coaches qbs.  What is there not to like.  Would he leave Purdue after one yr?  I think he would to coach in SEC, with a team that is already stacked, and a school that will pay him and his assistants.  

3) Frost - Nebraska has already said they are  getting money together to make him an offer and increase pay for his assistants.  Unless he wants to coach in the SEC, I doubt we are more attractive than his alma mater or UCF.  He would be a great hire but I don't think he is an option.

Like this list.

4 hours ago, mom2kid said:

Just curious why you have brohm 1? I think he may be the best play caller out of those 3 but 3rd out of the 3 as far as being the best head coach. I see a guy who really loves calling plays same as gus. Fuente I do not believe calls the plays anymore. Not sure about frost. But fuente has made the transition to being a real head coach and not a glorified OC like gus.........

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

just curious why you have

Just curious why you have brohm 1? I think he may be the best play caller out of those 3 but 3rd out of the 3 as far as being the best head coach. I see a guy who really loves calling plays same as gus. Fuente I do not believe calls the plays anymore. Not sure about frost. But fuente has made the transition to being a real head coach and not a glorified OC like gus.........

I numbered the list is based on who I think we may have better chance to get, that's why I have Frost last.  I do like that all three are offensive minded coaches.  

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Talking with my dad I'm back on the Chris Klieman train. His Bisons blew out Jacksonville State in the FCS championship game against a J'ville team that as we all know we're loaded with SEC caliber talent. You may argue N. Dakota St. Is the "Alabama" of FCS but just how much talent exists within the North Dakota pipeline? Either they are pulling talent from the competition or they are coaching at an elite level. Either way that's what I want for Auburn.

What's Mr. Yellawood's number?

Yeah, I brought his name up a long time ago and I got the standard, he is in the FCS, he in the Northwest and has no ties to Southeast so how could he compete in the recruiting circles...............

Yet a lot of people complain that Gus and his staff do not develop players. I tell you, that a coach does not consistently win NC's on a consistent basis on just pure talent and no coaching. Even Saban ain't that good. Kleinman is a good coach!!

1 hour ago, CJBas said:

No good coach will come to Auburn while Jay Jacobs is our AC.  JJ has crashed the entire Athletic Cept.  He should have been let go years ago.  I've said this for several years now and only received poo poos from this forum.  As recently as two years ago I was assured by the resident college football expert here that Rhett Lashlee was an excellent OC when it was clear he was completely incompetent.  Now Jacobs has sat quietly while the gorls' softball coaches were sexually harassing the players.  He said nothing.  He allowed the basketball coaches to run amok committing federal crimes.  All our teams stink.  And the board of trustees meets about some real estate matters and still don't fire Jacobs.  Until  Jacobs is gone we will not get a first class coach because NO ONE wants to come to a department lead by Jacobs.

Rhett's O at Uconn has been looking very good this year though.

Sitting here watching the Syracuse-Miami game and I sort of like what Dino Babers has done at Syracuse.  Seems like a gutsy coach.  He's doing a lot with very little talent.  Anyone mention him yet in this thread?

8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You might want to look at JH last year versus this year. He was an athelete last year playing QB this year he is a quarterback. But the remark was to someone saying coaches from the nfl don’t come back to college. Also thanks for making my other point that Nick is running it like an NFL team . We are still playing like a highschool. I just think it’s time we stepped up our games do quit hiring highschool coaches

Until you recruit with them you will never beat them on a consistent basis. But that is a foregone conclusion.. I don't doubt we have suspect play calling but it seems to be more like freezing instead of keeping your wits about you and making adjustments.

Scott Frost and UCF just snapped Navy's 15 home game winning streak. Jeff Brohm and rutgers lost to rutgers today. wooooooof.

4 hours ago, countoff said:

Sitting here watching the Syracuse-Miami game and I sort of like what Dino Babers has done at Syracuse.  Seems like a gutsy coach.  He's doing a lot with very little talent.  Anyone mention him yet in this thread?

Yeah, he's gotten a shout out a few pages back. 

Archived