S. Davis: 40.7 ( 12 )

R. Brown: 42.7 ( 12 )

R. Johnson: 46.3 ( 7 )

J. Bostic: 49.5 ( 8 )

C. Williams: 61.7 ( 12 )

J. Joseph: 64.6 ( 7 )

S. Danley: 263.0 ( 2 )

:au::football::cheer:

he has the best acceleration of the backs at practice and I'd say the best body control-he reads blocks very well-he'll get some carries this year :thumbsup:

Is he gonna be the starting RB?

i haven't been at practice yet, but i can say that tre has the best balance of any runner i've ever seen at auburn. and we've had some good ones. he just knows how to center his body to stay upright. if he's 100% and he's bigger and faster like he claims he is (see free article on autigers.com) then i'd say he's got a solid chance of being the "starter." whatever that means on a team that claims it will play three or four tailbacks in every game.

Tre Smith is good...I bet Tre gets over 1000 rushing yards this year. He is definitely a back that is fun to watch...I'm glad I'll finally get to see him get some carries

Tre Smith is good...I bet Tre gets over 1000 rushing yards this year.  He is definitely a back that is fun to watch...I'm glad I'll finally get to see him get some carries

149175[/snapback]

I dunno about that, if Tre gets a 1,000 yards on the ground :blink: , then wow we had a pretty good running game. I still think in the long run Kenny Irons or Carl Stewart will get the bulk of the carries.

I don't know what to think about Tre. In 2002, he was the white guy who gave our defense fits. In 2003, he was the white guy who couldn't catch a punt...

I don't know what to think about Tre. In 2002, he was the white guy who gave our defense fits. In 2003, he was the white guy who couldn't catch a punt...

149258[/snapback]

You could say that about pretty much anything we did in 2003.

149258[/snapback]

Yea, he sure had butterfingers in 2003. Three or four fumbles...StatTiger? At least he didn't take a knee at the ½ yard line on a kickoff.

About Tre's stats...we should remember that, with the exception of the 2002 Iron Bowl (God bless it), Tre has had a whole lot of carries against teams that are either not nearly as good as Auburn or teams whose defenses have been worn out by one of our other backs. He's a great runner...don't get me wrong. But I don't think he'll start on a regular basis. I would look for Kenny Irons to be the go-to guy this fall, barring injury or academic troubles.

149258[/snapback]

Maybe that's because he was forced to play out of position because he had TWO NFL first-rounders in front of him...come on.

Find a bammar board and type the name Tre Smith and see what you get. :big:

Here's Tre, making a stop on the "X man". :rolleyes: Isn't this the guy who downs kickoffs on the 1? :big:

918jr14.jpg

149258[/snapback]

Yea, he sure had butterfingers in 2003. Three or four fumbles...StatTiger? At least he didn't take a knee at the ½ yard line on a kickoff.

About Tre's stats...we should remember that, with the exception of the 2002 Iron Bowl (God bless it), Tre has had a whole lot of carries against teams that are either not nearly as good as Auburn or teams whose defenses have been worn out by one of our other backs. He's a great runner...don't get me wrong. But I don't think he'll start on a regular basis. I would look for Kenny Irons to be the go-to guy this fall, barring injury or academic troubles.

149321[/snapback]

He fumbled two punts against LSU in 2003 and had one fumble against MSU. This gives him one fumble in 118 carries.

Yes, it's true that he has gained the majority of his yards in a reserve role but he's also running behind the #2 line.

best balance? i mean i know the guy has left but Carnell Williams had the best balance out of any running back i have ever seen in my life. I mean he's leagues ahead of people in terms of balance. Game over. No contest.

Don't get me wrong, Tre is a very good running back, and i think he will surprise a lot of people this fall, ESPECIALLY opposing teams.

I think Tre is gonna do a good job but I agree with Slug and think that Kenny or Carl will get the bulk of the carries. But I hope he can prove me wrong!

no, no, i'm talking sheer balance. caddilac was the best cutter i've seen since barry sanders. he hit like a freight train. he had body control like nobody's business (see that two yard run for a first down against va tech where he gets hit three times). but tre's balance is the one thing that makes him special. i remember a play against lsu where he gets hit, bounces to the side, and runs for like 3 yards on one hand and one foot. never seen anything like that.

If Tre had black skin everyone would be talking about him as a future first round draft pick...Irons may be good as well, but Judging by what each has proven on the field...I'm looking for Tre to put up numbers that are as good as anyone in the SEC.

If Tre had black skin everyone would be talking about him as a future first round draft pick...Irons may be good as well, but Judging by what each has proven on the field...I'm looking for Tre to put up numbers that are as good as anyone in the SEC.

149460[/snapback]

:no::no::no:

gabe, you're completely incorrect. if tre had black skin he'd still weigh around 200 pounds. he'd still be 5'9" on a good day (i have class with him... he couldn't touch 5'10" without platform shoes). he'd still run maybe a 4.5. in other words, he'd still be a guy who couldn't beat out two first round picks. could he be a darren sproles guy? sure. but sproles is a 3rd rounder at best. skin has nothing to do with this one.

I think Tre Smith is going to surprise alot of people this year. 5'9 200 is plenty big enough at RB. I have seen alot of All-American RB that size. Sometimes it is just about whether some one can play football or not and not about their 40 times or height. Too many people get caught up in shapes and sizes of football players and forget about whether they can play. Until I see otherwize from some of the new players, Tre Smith is the best back on the team.

I don't see Tre being THE man this year. I see them distributing the ball around very evenly between all the backs. I think we'll have a lot of variety where we use Stewart and Tre at the same time, Irons and Tre etc. Borges' offense gets everyone involved and I see Tre, or any other back for that matter, getting no more than 10-12 carries per game.

When CAB calls me for his weekly input, I'll share some of the thoughts you guys have about how to use Tre. :D

I don't see Tre being THE man this year.  I see them distributing the ball around very evenly between all the backs.  I think we'll have a lot of variety where we use Stewart and Tre at the same time, Irons and Tre etc.  Borges' offense gets everyone involved and I see Tre, or any other back for that matter, getting no more than 10-12 carries per game. 

When CAB calls me for his weekly input, I'll share some of the thoughts you guys have about how to use Tre. :D

149485[/snapback]

I agree but if one of the backs shows a tendency to break big runs, he will become the featured back.

I think Tre will be the #1 RB all Season. He has proven what he can do. He is tough and can get the tough yards. (It all goes back to EXPERIENCE. Tre has plenty of experience and in the SEC that is what it is all about.) Carl Stewart will be right behind him. Irons has yet to prove himself in live game action. I hope he too does well. :au:

Archived