commercialization of high-school sports

WDG

I do not believe Cliff Hare envisioned this.

BRADENTON, Fla.—The best moments of high school for 18-year-old senior Will

Huggins haven’t been typical rites of passage like the prom or getting a driver’s

license. Instead, he recites his time in the 40-yard dash, down four-tenths of a

second in two years, and the 40 pounds he gained.

“Thirty-seven of that is muscle mass,” he says.

Mr. Huggins is a wide receiver for IMG Academy, a high-school football program

that is just four years old but has already become a fearsome, controversial

powerhouse. Owned and operated by Hollywood entertainment conglomerate

Endeavor, IMG Academy is an elite, for-profit boarding school—and the leading

producer of top college and National Football League prospects.

As many as 30 members of the current team are expected to get Division I

scholarships, including from top programs Alabama, Ohio State and Florida

State. Mr. Huggins, who convinced his mother two years ago to let him move

3,000 miles from northern California to IMG Academy, recently got an offer

from Stanford. Recruiting experts say no other high-school team is likely to

produce even 20 scholarship players.

IMG sits at the apex of the commercialization of high-school sports. Purists have

long bemoaned how college football has become a big business like the

professional game. Now, for many of the same reasons, that phenomenon has

trickled down to even younger players and has turned a Friday night ritual into a

form of career development.

IMG Academy players and their parents seem happy overall with the return on

their investment. Critics say the school damages football’s central role in

communities when it lures budding stars away from their hometowns.

Ha, football just following the blueprint that AAU basketball and travel baseball have perfected .  If you can get in an elite program and it makes you better, why not?  If you are ownership/management simple market forces should prevail, produce or go away.  Here in Atlanta East Cobb Baseball set the standard with their Astros team.  They are no longer the benchmark and the whole ECB program has been watered down as they've gone for the money without the overwhelming success they once had.  This is what makes the American economy great...specialize, compete and excel (or die).

With tuition of $75,200 and an $11 million training complex, Endeavor’s IMG Academy sits at the apex of the commercialization of youth sports. This can't be good for youth sports.

2 minutes ago, WDG said:

With tuition of $75,200 and an $11 million training complex, Endeavor’s IMG Academy sits at the apex of the commercialization of youth sports. This can't be good for youth sports.

My number one question is where do these kids that come from low income families get the money?  Folks like the REC?

2 hours ago, saminbama said:

My number one question is where do these kids that come from low income families get the money?  Folks like the REC?

Probably the same way  they get into Universities.Scholarships ?

3 hours ago, saminbama said:

It's a "for profit" institution.  Delusional parents of kids with money and not nearly enough talent, desire or both are funding the kids with tons of ability and little resource.  And I'm betting most everybody there is pretty okay with it.

43 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It's a "for profit" institution.  Delusional parents of kids with money and not nearly enough talent, desire or both are funding the kids with tons of ability and little resource.  And I'm betting most everybody there is pretty okay with it.

That's my point.  Yes, IMG is "for Profit", and for that reason, who would fund "scholarships"? They're in business to make money not give away free memberships.  I don't care how delusional a parent is, that money is coming from somewhere, and lot of these people can't even afford to buy a house.  75 Grand a year?  That's a whole lot of delusion.

IMG is just a part of the issue.  When HS teams travel half way (or all the way) across the US to play some other HS team for ESPN you know priorities are skewed.   JMO but money is probably changing hands above and below the table to make these "made for TV' games possible.

Furthermore, there does not seem to be some version of the NCAA looking to see what's going on in the way of 'impermissible benefits" causing kids to transfer to IMG or similar prep schools or as rewards for their play.  

On 10/28/2017 at 12:10 PM, saminbama said:

Exactly. The same way they get money to make unlimited numbers of unofficial visits during high school. 

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Furthermore, there does not seem to be some version of the NCAA looking to see what's going on in the way of 'impermissible benefits" causing kids to transfer to IMG or similar prep schools or as rewards for their play.  

You have to wonder what is going on here

https://www.manta.com/c/mb5z602/red-elephant-club-of-montgomery-inc

Who pays the bills for 

Deyavie Hammond, a 2019 four-star guard and Alabama commit, tells BamaOnLine he has transferred to IMG Academy (Fla.) from Lakeland (Fla.). 

The 6-foot-4, 320-pounder is the third Tide commitment enrolled at IMG joining four-star defensive end Stephon Wynn and 2019 four-star running back Trey Sanders.

Hammond committed to the Crimson Tide back in May after receiving an offer.

The Sunshine State offensive lineman is rated the No. 5 guard and the No. 111 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

46 minutes ago, WDG said:

That's a good question and I'm not sure the NCAA even looks at that kind of thing.  Seems that IMG and a few other places like that are the "black hole" of recruiting except for the few states like Texas that have protested openly about their talent being recruited away.https://247sports.com/Bolt/Texas-high-school-coaches-annoyed-by-IMG-Academy-43916848

Who pays for it.....

It's obvious they have skirted the whole agent issue. Go to IMG Academy get a D1 scholarship, maybe choose an IMG represented college and go to the NFL and get you an IMG Sports agent to represent you.

I know someone who's son goes to IMG for soccer.  She doesn't get to see him that much but then again she's what I would consider a "party mom", so I don't see it bothering her that much.

I have a son who just started HS, I couldn't imagine sending him off and not getting to see him grow up.  Everyone always talks about how they miss the baby years of their kids life.  I have enjoyed each phase of my kids lives and look forward to the next.  I couldn't imagine missing the HS years, these are some of the most fun of all and when you can really start to see the man or woman your child is growing up to be.

It will be interesting to see what the IMG  generation of kids think when they start to have kids of their own and how they feel about sending their child off for some or most all of their HS years for a sport.  Yes I know that obviously this type of thing goes on over seas with boarding school.  I have a good friend who is from India who went to boarding school, says he doesn't plan on sending his son to boarding school.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting Asa Martin
Following my sophomore year I decided to transfer to IMG Academy in Bradenton (Fla.).
https://n.rivals.com/news/the-next-chapter-asa-martin-tells-story-behind-auburn-commitment

Archived