1963 starting backfield

CrimsonPirate

Who joined Jimmy Sidle and Tucker Fredrickson in the '63 Auburn backfield? That was the year that Mailon Kent, relegated to backup upon Sidle's arrival, came off the bench to lead the Tigers to a 10-8 win over Alabama. I can't remember who the other back was on that team.

So, what's the answer? Surely someone can tell me the starting backfield off an Auburn team that went 9-2 overall and 6-1 in the conference.

Who joined Jimmy Sidle and Tucker Fredrickson in the '63 Auburn backfield? That was the year that Mailon Kent, relegated to backup upon Sidle's arrival, came off the bench to lead the Tigers to a 10-8 win over Alabama. I can't remember who the other back was on that team.

150301[/snapback]

I believe that was Gerald Gross and George Rose.

150301[/snapback]

I believe that was Gerald Gross and George Rose.

150311[/snapback]

Yeah. George Rose. I remember the name now. I 'member Gross, too, but Rose is the name I was lookin' for. Thanks.

are you sure that it wasn't lamar rawson?.....i remember the year and i remember the game when kent filled in and beat the great "broadway brod,er joe" namath....the backfield that year was jimmy sidle, tucker fredrickson, george rose and lamar rawson, i think.....they almost beat nebraska iin the orange bowl with sidle running the ball out of the shotgun formation....things get all mushed up after all of these years but i think i'm correct

are you sure that it wasn't lamar rawson?.....i remember the year and i remember the game when kent filled in and beat the great "broadway brod,er joe" namath....the backfield that year was jimmy sidle, tucker fredrickson, george rose and lamar rawson, i think.....they almost beat nebraska iin the orange bowl with sidle running  the ball out of the shotgun formation....things get all mushed up after all of these years but i think i'm correct

150356[/snapback]

Lamar Rawson's name is also familiar to me. Mailon graduated two years ahead of me at Lanett High and joined other LHS players, Bobby Hunt and David Hill, at Auburn. Sidle was something else, but I didn't like him. After all, he beat Mailon out. :D Everbody in the stadium knew Kent would throw when he came off the bench, but it didn't matter. Wasn't it Rose he hit for the winning score?

Lanett's had a few to play on the Plains: The three I mentioned along with Richard (later known as Dick) Wood, Jimmy Jones, and John Motley (much more recent).

I know what you mean about things getting all mushed up. They get even mushier when you get to be as old as me.

I loved that team, and Jimmy Sidle was an All America QB! AUsome...one of my all time fave players!!!

:au::homer:

There were two Rawson bros on that team. Larry and Lamar. There were so many good players on that team. i.e. The Rawson Brothers, George Rose, Tucker Frederickson, Jimmy Sidle, George Gross, Chuck Hurston,When Nebraska beat us in the Orange Bowl, Sidle was playing with a hurt shoulder, perhaps seperated as I can't remember. Also, SIdle led the nation in rushing for awhile which was unique for a QB. WDE!

There were two Rawson bros on that team. Larry and Lamar. There were so many good players on that team. i.e. The Rawson Brothers, George Rose, Tucker Frederickson, Jimmy Sidle, George Gross, Chuck Hurston,When Nebraska beat us in the Orange Bowl, Sidle was playing with a hurt shoulder, perhaps seperated as I can't remember. Also, SIdle led the nation in rushing for awhile which was unique for a QB. WDE!

150422[/snapback]

Yep, and Tucker played LB and RB on that team...one of the last years of the real two way players...and then he went on to play for the NY Giants till his knees couldn't take it any more...great player!

:au::homer:

I thought Tucker played safety and FB ?? Didn't he make all SEC at safety one year?

It was Larry and David Rawson, Bill Cody at linebacker, Woody Woodall was the kicker'

CP, in the Bama game, Woodall kicked a 30+ yd field goal early in the game to make it 3-0 AU at the half. Kent hit Frederickson for an 8 yd TD to make it 10-0. Benny Nelson then went 80 yds for Bama's TD and the two point conversion. I remember listening to it on the radio. Both teams wore their home jerseys, looked great in color in replay. We didn't beat Bama much in those days, so this one was really special.

Both teams wore their home jerseys

What was the reason for both teams to be doing this?

That game was played a month and a half before I was born.

Not real sure why they wore the home jerseys.

Maybe because it was played in Birmingham, maybe for visual impact.

Auburn's blue vrs Bama's red on God's green grass.

Don't know exactly why, but it sure looked cool.

Lamar Rawson (FB) and Tucker Frederickson (TB) were the prime blockers for Sidle in the Avalanche, as the offense was called. Sidle gained 1005 yards rushing that year. George Rose lined up at flanker, I believe, also played cornerback. Lamar Rawson, Larry's older brother, was a senior in '59. David Rawson, the youngest, was indeed on the '63 team, but not a starter as I recall. He was kicked in the head during the Georgia Tech game in '63, effectively ended his career. Bill van Dyke was a pulling guard on the '63 team. Cody was a sophomore linebacker.

The jersey color question: I think 1964 may have been the year when the NCAA began requiring contrasting jersies for TV purposes. Pretty sure both teams wore home jersies for the '59 game. I attended the '61 and '62 games, but for the life of me can't recall which jersies were worn. I know beginning in'64, the teams have worn contrasting jersies.

Auburn once wore white at home, against Kentucky in 1959.

It was Larry and David Rawson, Bill Cody at linebacker, Woody Woodall was the kicker'

CP, in the Bama game, Woodall kicked a 30+ yd field goal early in the game to make it 3-0 AU at the half.  Kent hit Frederickson for an 8 yd TD to make it 10-0.  Benny Nelson then went 80 yds for Bama's TD and the two point conversion.  I remember listening to it on the radio.  Both teams wore their home jerseys, looked great in color in replay.  We didn't beat Bama much in those days, so this one was really special.

150640[/snapback]

Right you are, oldautiger. It was Tucker. My forgetter works better than my rememberer. I was actually pulling for Mailon to git 'er done that day. Sssh. Don't tell BG03 and the others. :blink:

CP, I know what you mean. I had to consult a couple of AU football publications to verify all that stuff I said.

I was in high school at the time, right in front of the radio taking in every word.

Exciting game.

Don't worry about BG and the others, I won't tell :D

Archived