Teammates: Davis made decision to sit out

abw0004

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Ten years ago we may not have imagined ever having this convo. The nuts and bolts of your argument depends on the nonexistence of the normalization of players sitting out regular season games in preparation for the draft. There was brief speculation that Jadaveon was going to skip his junior year and prepare for the draft as a matter of fact. He could’ve been tbe guinea pig. If he did so and he was still picked number one, that would’ve told other players that the water was clear so to speak. Last year, Fournette and McCaffery really shook the CFB world and we don’t even know where it is going to take us. 

First, I don't have any issues with a player sitting out a year. However, that's an option that will only be viable for freaks like Clowney, and someone correctly advised him against it. Doubt that ever catches on, even if someone successfully accomplishes it, which is unlikely. 

If we see players begin to sit out of meaningful games, I do think you will see a response from the NFL.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It depends on the school... there aren't blanket documents that every school uses. I don't have time to go through it, but here's a sample.
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Example-Athletic-Aid-Agreement.pdf

Thanks. Fyi, the only line in that one regarding actual participation in the sport suggests to me that the athlete can withdraw anytime he or she likes once the season starts without penalty:

* I voluntarily withdraw from the sport for personal reasons prior to the first competition in my sport

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Doubt that ever catches on, even if someone successfully accomplishes it, which is unlikely. 

It may and it may not. Like I said, I never thought we’d talk about our players sitting out NY6 games.

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

First, I don't have any issues with a player sitting out a year. However, that's an option that will only be viable for freaks like Clowney, and someone correctly advised him against it. Doubt that ever catches on, even if someone successfully accomplishes it, which is unlikely. 

If we see players begin to sit out of meaningful games, I do think you will see a response from the NFL.

Exactly. Also, if it REALLY becomes an issue for these programs, there will be language added to scholarships/repercussions for players deciding to sit out.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks. Fyi, the only line in that one regarding actual participation in the sport suggests to me that the athlete can withdraw anytime he or she likes once the season starts without penalty:

Looks like requirements are going to be on the school to determine. If schools start having bad showings in games because of players sitting out, you can bet the language will change. The NFL is big money for player, but everything leading up to it is big money for schools. It's really all just a gross amount of money being thrown around.

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It may and it may not. Like I said, I never thought we’d talk about our players sitting out NY6 games.

One game vs. one year is apples to oranges. We can reasonably say that sophomore players who project as Top 5 draft pick in the following year are extremely rare, and even more rare are those players who could maintain that status after giving up competitive football for an entire year.

That plan only makes sense for players who could not possibly improve their draft stock by playing their junior season, and that's a rare player, probably a once in a generation type guy. It was fun for Clowney to talk about; and even he concluded that he would drop significantly for sitting out. 

The players who are sitting out of bowl games are sitting because there is little or no upside, and conversely little or no downside to that decision. The risks associated with sitting out an entire season are astronomically higher. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Looks like requirements are going to be on the school to determine. If schools start having bad showings in games because of players sitting out, you can bet the language will change. The NFL is big money for player, but everything leading up to it is big money for schools. It's really all just a gross amount of money being thrown around.

No argument with any of that. Looks like @Barnacle expressed some similar thoughts, with which I also agree.

#lettheredshirtsplay

34 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It depends on the school... there aren't blanket documents that every school uses. I don't have time to go through it, but here's a sample.
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Example-Athletic-Aid-Agreement.pdf

Many Thanks.

Not a lawyer (nor could I convincingly play one on TV), but

“My financial aid will not be increased, reduced, or canceled during the period of the award on the basis of my athletic ability, performance or contribution to my team’s success; …

I am aware that the amount of this aid may be immediately reduced or canceled during the term of this award if:* I voluntarily withdraw from the sport for personal reasons prior to the first competition in my sport; …” [excerpted and underlines mine]

While I might (selfishly?) disapprove of a player's actions or motivations in this kind of situation, I find little support for anyone's grounds to claw back benefits already paid.

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

One game vs. one year is apples to oranges. We can reasonably say that sophomore players who project as Top 5 draft pick in the following year are extremely rare, and even more rare are those players who could maintain that status after giving up competitive football for an entire year.

That plan only makes sense for players who could not possibly improve their draft stock by playing their junior season, and that's a rare player, probably a once in a generation type guy. It was fun for Clowney to talk about; and even he concluded that he would drop significantly for sitting out. 

The players who are sitting out of bowl games are sitting because there is little or no upside, and conversely little or no downside to that decision. The risks associated with sitting out an entire season are astronomically higher. 

I’m done talking about it.

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m done talking about it.

So... Does this mean you're sitting this one out?  ;)

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

So... Does this mean you're sitting this one out?  ;)

Taking my ball and going home.

:crossedarms:

i do not understand all those not liking cd's choice to sit out a game.he got the clearance and backing of his head coach right?and yes gus sent him home.beyond that it is mostly guess work and speculation. i would think most folks would be more upset over a starter who missed games due to liking to party too much. the person that shall not be named hurt his team way more than cd ever did. we could have used him in the sec championship game right?and i believe he was banned from using auburn facilities etc. and yet we bash a kid who did come to his  coach to discuss his actions. i will believe this kid hurt auburn even though he probably loves auburn. why have his teammates not called him out like it would seem they did cd.? one kid gets sent home and one kid removed from the team. ultimately it is gus making the calls so you tell me who he is really upset with all this. now i loved watching the one kid play that i have not named, i hope he is a great kid and realizes his dreams even tho i believe his actions did a lot of damage while cd did not.one is concerned for his future while the actions of the other seem to indicate otherwise. breaking some rules hurt the whole team. so why do cd's teammates call out one and seemingly give a pass to the other who did far more damage? most people like to think in strict terms of black and white and ten to forget the gray areas. for the record i like both the kids but is it really fair to give one a pass and not the other? if i am missing something different other than teamwork someone please let me know. and for the record i am not trying to slam anyone thus i left the one kids name a secret. and mods if this post is wrong please delete it as i am not trying to crucify anyone but pointing out  what i think are flaws in the thinking of some.

If the guy is on scholly to play football for AU and AU is giving him a free ride (housing, tuition, other assorted fees, etc) then the guy should have played in the game.  If Davis chose not to then he and Gus should have been upfront instead of hiding behind the sick excuse. The way this played out has reflected poorly on Davis and Gus.

wde  

gus never spills the beans on players no matter how bad they screw up. personally i think it shows class on the part of gus. if your kid played and screwed the pooch on something would you want HIS business put out all over the streets?

46 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

gus never spills the beans on players no matter how bad they screw up. personally i think it shows class on the part of gus. if your kid played and screwed the pooch on something would you want HIS business put out all over the streets?

I expect Gus and Davis to be honest as to why he did not play in the game.  I would expect the same if it was my son.  I would expect my son to honor his scholarship to AU by playing in the game.  I would expect his HC to be honest about why my son chose to skip the game should that be the case.  But to be clear, my son would know my opinion on the matter should he chose the not play due to anything other than an injury or a true illness and it would not be pretty.  If Davis was healthy and based on comments by his teammates he probably was, he should have played.  If he held himself out for the draft, both he and Gus should have been upfront about it.  Personally, I would still disagree with that decision, but would have respected the honesty instead of hiding behind the too sick excuse.

wde

in this day and time of crackpots i would not want my sons business on the street. i understand you are talking about honor but i am afraid times have changed for the worst in a lot of ways. look at how jalen hurts was called the n word by several fans.hell we got people poisoning trees that do nothing more than create oxygen, give shade, and help us celebrate big wins.jesus we had a kid put rat poison on an auburn fans ballcap in tuscaloosa. i agree with gus that sometimes less is better. he runs the football team the way he see's fit and it is all on him.  besides trying to protect kids who are wrong as well as right what about libel? how much of the football operations are we truly owed? lol for the record i am honestly asking your thoughts other than attacking them other than the privacy issue. i would be interested in your thoughts.

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

In this instance...

First round draft pick

Millionaire

Effective utilization of risk/reward

3 year starter

All-american

All that, but not a guy I'd have over for a little fishing with burgers after. Hey, I might slip and fall in a cold lake and he couldn't risk his career by pulling me out.

Just now, Mikey said:

All that, but not a guy I'd have over for a little fishing with burgers after. Hey, I might slip and fall in a cold lake and he couldn't risk his career by pulling me out.

Well now, that's just plain dumb

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

And if presented with the same decision, millionaire or play one last game, I'm pretty confident which the majority, if being honest, would take.

I' d choose millionaire AND play in the last game, every play at 100%,

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I' d choose millionaire AND play in the last game, every play at 100%,

That’s not what he asked you . If it were that easy, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

in this day and time of crackpots i would not want my sons business on the street. i understand you are talking about honor but i am afraid times have changed for the worst in a lot of ways. look at how jalen hurts was called the n word by several fans.hell we got people poisoning trees that do nothing more than create oxygen, give shade, and help us celebrate big wins.jesus we had a kid put rat poison on an auburn fans ballcap in tuscaloosa. i agree with gus that sometimes less is better. he runs the football team the way he see's fit and it is all on him.  besides trying to protect kids who are wrong as well as right what about libel? how much of the football operations are we truly owed? lol for the record i am honestly asking your thoughts other than attacking them other than the privacy issue. i would be interested in your thoughts.

In this case, had Davis chosen to honor his scholarship and play in the game, there would be no business on the street. It is due to Davis' own actions and decisions and Gus' handling of the situation that Davis' business is on the street. I applaud Trigga Trey bringing this to light and I applaud Trigga Trey for still supporting his teammate.  

Look at how Jason Campbell was treated by a few stupid AU fans prior to the 2004 season (very similar to the treatment that Jalen Hurts was treated based on your comments above). There are idiots in all fan bases.

LOL, there is no libel if the truth is told.  Privacy regarding medical and injury info are subject to HIPPA regulations, privacy due to the unwillingness to play in a game simply because you want to save yourself for the draft while still on scholly from AU are not.

wde

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

In this case, had Davis chosen to honor his scholarship and play in the game, there would be no business on the street. It is due to Davis' own actions and decisions and Gus' handling of the situation that Davis' business is on the street. I applaud Trigga Trey bringing this to light and I applaud Trigga Trey for still supporting his teammate.  

Look at how Jason Campbell was treated by a few stupid AU fans prior to the 2004 season (very similar to the treatment that Jalen Hurts was treated based on your comments above). There are idiots in all fan bases.

LOL, there is no libel if the truth is told.  Privacy regarding medical and injury info are subject to HIPPA regulations, privacy due to the unwillingness to play in a game simply because you want to save yourself for the draft while still on scholly from AU are not.

wde

The same trigga Tray saying how it was just so hard to get motivated for this UCF team ? I don’t know how he has been supportive by putting his business out there.

Just now, DAG said:

The same trigga Tray saying how it was just so hard to get motivated for this UCF team ? I don’t know how he has been supportive by putting his business out there.

Good point regarding the motivated comments regarding the UCF game.  He could have totally thrown Davis under the bus with no platitudes had he chosen too so he was supportive.  Again, the fact that Braden Smith played in the game after going through what he went through in terms of illness the night before is what honoring your scholarship is all about (actually above and beyond) whereas in Davis' case, not so much.  Again, just own it that you don't want to play.  I would have disagreed with it and would have said so, but would have respected his honesty.  Like Fournette and McCaffery last year.  They both came out early and were honest about not playing in their bowl games and both of them were a lot higher profile players than Davis is.   I thought both Fournette and McCaffery should have honored their scholarships to LSU and Stanford then so I am not being inconsistent.

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Good point regarding the motivated comments regarding the UCF game.  He could have totally thrown Davis under the bus with no platitudes had he chosen too so he was supportive.  Again, the fact that Braden Smith played in the game after going through what he went through in terms of illness the night before is what honoring your scholarship is all about (actually above and beyond) whereas in Davis' case, not so much.  Again, just own it that you don't want to play.  I would have disagreed with it and would have said so, but would have respected his honesty.  Like Fournette and McCaffery last year.  They both came out early and were honest about not playing in their bowl games and both of them were a lot higher profile players than Davis is.   I thought both Fournette and McCaffery should have honored their scholarships to LSU and Stanford then so I am not being inconsistent.

wde

Trigga Tray is a senior that has exhausted his eligibility and has played his last game. He is free to say whatever he wants. I commend him for being honest about our bowl game approach. 

Archived