Teammates: Davis made decision to sit out

abw0004

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

By the time Jim does it, he does it for laughs because that is in the 6th season I believe.  This is their relationship in a nutshell:

michael-scott-checks-toby.gif?ssl=1

Fun fact:  Paul Liberstein (Toby) is actually one of the main writers for the show.  He also directed a few episodes.  Originally his character was just an extra and was to be written out but the audience loved Michael's relationship with him so much he stayed.  Actually, this was the case with the majority of the supporting staff as they were writers and just filled in because the show needed more characters.  

That gif is fricking awesome. 

As far as the actual discussion, it’s pretty obvious that CD sat out the bowl game to protect his draft stock from taking a hit from injury. 

I talked to him," Matthews said. "First off, I got onto him. 'Hey, man, I need you. You’ve been my dog the past three years and you’re going to leave me hanging like that?' Then he explained a few things. That’s his decision. I’ve got to respect it. He’s a first-round talent, so that’s on him."

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm guessing his "decision" as you call it,  was to believe what one of his players told him....

Goodness...you do anything to bend over backwards for Gus won’t you? Gus absolutely knows this is a professional decision. Gus is literally an opportunist. He is no fool and I imagine he wants his player to succeed in the NFL, which is why he didn’t make any big fuss about it. Gus has jumped shipped previous to bowl games in the past and rightfully so. I am sure he understands the position of CD. You are calling CD naive, but then you make it seem like CGM is the most naive participant in this situation. 

I think head football coaches hope that their players would all be playing for each other by the bowl game.  At that point it shouldn't be up to the coaches to try to convince the players to play as a team and do their best.  In Auburn's case there were many factors that influenced our players in the Peach Bowl.  Obviously, losing the SEC Championship game and then being selected to play what was considered a lesser team, UCF,  had some influence, as did career choices such as leaving early for the NFL.  CD sat out the game for Auburm but there were many players on other teams who also didn't play in their bowl games for various reasons. 

I applaud Gus for trying to protect his players.  Auburn has enough players on this team that they should have been able to win without Carlton Davis.  Carlton Davis had a great career at Auburn and he should be remembered for that.  War Eagle.

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

"We're built different," Matthews said. "If it was me, I would've still played because it was my last game with my boys. Maybe, give or take, you never know how somebody's feeling, though. You don't know how his body was feeling."

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

"I talked to him," Matthews said. "First off, I got onto him. 'Hey, man, I need you. You’ve been my dog the past three years and you’re going to leave me hanging like that?' Then he explained a few things. That’s his decision. I’ve got to respect it. He’s a first-round talent, so that’s on him."

I'm surprised no one else has noticed that we got two completely different stories out of one player. First he's rolling with the "he's sick" story and then he's saying he called him out for deciding not to play. So they question becomes, is Trey talking out of both sides of his mouth, or are the beat writers twisting his words to get clicks?

42 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm surprised no one else has noticed that we got two completely different stories out of one player. First he's rolling with the "he's sick" story and then he's saying he called him out for deciding not to play. So they question becomes, is Trey talking out of both sides of his mouth, or are the beat writers twisting his words to get clicks?

I don’t know. The quote “First off, I got onto him.” speaks volumes to me. I highly doubt Matthews would’ve gotten on to a sick player that had no business of playing for deciding to sit. 

I presume it went like this:

Tray finds out his junior secondary mate will not be playing in the bowl game

Tray gets pissed and tells him how he feels about it

Carlton says "my draft grade is a 1st rounder and I don't wanna screw that up with an injury" and then explains to him how much money is on the line for him

Tray says "damn, I want you out there with me for one last time but yeah I understand since theres X amount of money on the table for you to be had"

While the players don't like playing short handed when you're talking money these guys understand IMO

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t know. The quote “First off, I got onto him.” speaks volumes to me. I highly doubt Matthews would’ve gotten on to a sick player that had no business of playing for deciding to sit. 

Unless he was getting over it and Matthews was just telling him to man up and play through it. Personally, I trust the integrity of our players far more that I trust that of the sports media. At the same time, I would not be surprised if Davis did choose to sit and was healthy enough to play, but that calls into question why Matthews would tell 2 different stories.

As much time and effort as is being put into this discussion, I half expect an ESPN - "30 for 30" or "Outside the Lines" to be forthcoming...

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

As much time and effort as is being put into this discussion, I half expect an ESPN - "30 for 30" or "Outside the Lines" to be forthcoming...

I got a nice shotgun mic for my phone and a copy of Premiere on my computer, let's get to work.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

You've got the order of the quotes backwards. And I don't read them as contradictory. 

Edit: And a couple of us have pointed out a few times that Tray leaves open the possibility that CD wasn't 100%. I'd go with ambiguous at worst.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You've got the order of the quotes backwards. And I don't read them as contradictory. 

Edit: And a couple of us have pointed out a few times that Tray leaves open the possibility that CD wasn't 100%. I'd go with ambiguous at worst.

This is probably how it went...cough, cough, my sinuses are a little stuffy...I think I'll sit out b/c that's what I really want to do anyways.

18 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So 13 pages huh 

We are so close to proving Godwin’s law again. Where is Toby at?

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tray, Tre and Carlton are probably texting each other the crying laughing emoji repeatedly.

Actually, they're off living their lives and preparing for their future while we are obsessing on their past.  :beer2:

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Actually, they're off living their lives and preparing for their future while we are obsessing on their past.  :beer2:

Good. Glad Carlton got a head start on preparing for his. 

This makes sense. There was no indication that Carlton was held out for concussion. 

We can argue all day whether or not it’s selfish or smart for a high draft pick to forgo putting his body on the line for an exhibition game. But this drives home the point (yet again) that Gus has a tendency to not be forthcoming on these issues. I know it drives the med team crazy because it makes them look so silly holding a player out, when in fact it’s a coach/player situation. 

Id like to see an injury report each week like the pros to protect player/coach/staff.

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

This makes sense. There was no indication that Carlton was held out for concussion. 

We can argue all day whether or not it’s selfish or smart for a high draft pick to forgo putting his body on the line for an exhibition game. But this drives home the point (yet again) that Gus has a tendency to not be forthcoming on these issues. I know it drives the med team crazy because it makes them look so silly holding a player out, when in fact it’s a coach/player situation. 

Id like to see an injury report each week like the pros to protect player/coach/staff.

Hadn't even thought about you guys getting caught in the crossfire. Ugh. Thanks for your thoughts as always.

13 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Good. Glad Carlton got a head start on preparing for his. 

True That.... As we used to say.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well @aujeff11 has a signed Creed Bratton photo of him in his office and it says To Jeff, The only person who can best me in strip pong! TOP THAT ABW!

giphy.gif

Your move ABW, you have been challenged.

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

Because I’m not reading all the pages and I drank a little heavy during/after the SECCG, do you mean he wasn’t held out after halftime of that game? He did go out for medical injury, right? Or so he tweeted...

and thanks, PTB for your insight as always! I look forward to reading your posts...unless it’s bad news. ?

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

True That.... As we used to say.

Yeah, he needs to practice his kneeling for the national anthem in the National Fool League.

2 minutes ago, DivisionN said:

Yeah, he needs to practice his kneeling for the national anthem in the National Fool League.

Ugh... Don't get me started on that garbage.  We'll be told to "take it to the political forum" in no time.

But.....yes.

16 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I’ve often wondered about the bolded part.  I stopped listening to Gus’ pressers as he gives the fans no real information concerning the player’s health.  Thanks for sharing.

18 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Thanks for being honest and exposing the dishonesty.  But Gus is without reproach,  right Gus fan boys?

wde

Archived