Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

50 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

RIP Toby Keith

Lol Scott Hall was such a cool guy. 

• Love 1

Anyone watching this press conference!?

@GwillMac6 The writing team at WWE is at a level only rivaled by Russo in the attitude era. Just absolute perfection 

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Anyone watching this press conference!?

@GwillMac6 The writing team at WWE is at a level only rivaled by Russo in the attitude era. Just absolute perfection 

**** Cody his crybaby fans and most of all his story.

Where the hell is everybody! After 15 years of PG boringness, WWE is cooking with some attitude era fire again! @AUBwins you watch last night?

34 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Where the hell is everybody! After 15 years of PG boringness, WWE is cooking with some attitude era fire again! @AUBwins you watch last night?

Well I’m pissed. I don’t want Cody vs Roman 2. We just had that last year. Idgaf if it’s a triple threat. I am not interested in that at all. All I have wanted for years is rock vs Roman. And no matter when it happens it won’t feel big anymore. This Cody sideshow ruined all of that. F all of this man.

Edited by GwillMac6

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well I’m pissed. I don’t want Cody vs Roman 2. We just had that last year. Idgaf if it’s a triple threat. ‘My not interested in that at all. All I have wanted for years is rock vs Roman. And no matter when it happens it won’t feel big anymore. This Cody sideshow ruined all of that. F all of this man.

I agree that The Rock/ Roman match would have been more fun to watch. But probably only for nostalgia reasons. Rock probably can’t go like he used to and Roman is a liability in long matches (smallest move set ever). I’m just glad that creative is taking people on this ride, though. Who knows what’s going to happen before WM40. It’ll be a fun 7 weeks. I can tell you, they are going to build on this and capitalize on Rock’s open schedule, though.

But yea Rock should have come back as a face and wrestled Roman, maybe lost and then Cody could have gotten Roman again.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I agree that The Rock/ Roman match would have been more fun to watch. But probably only for nostalgia reasons. Rock probably can’t go like he used to and Roman is a liability in long matches (smallest move set ever). I’m just glad that creative is taking people on this ride, though. Who knows what’s going to happen before WM40. It’ll be a fun 7 weeks. I can tell you, they are going to build on this and capitalize on Rock’s open schedule, though.

But yea Rock should have come back as a face and wrestled Roman, maybe lost and then Cody could have gotten Roman again.

Cody can sit his ass down and wait his turn. Does it really matter if he beats roman at Summerslam or mania!? Got damn!! Roman vs rock is the biggest match they could have done and now that’s over. Rock didn’t come back for anything but rock vs Roman. It’s a mess.

The bloodline is a way bigger REAL story than this manufactured BS that’s horse***t about Cody’s got damn story. I’m sick of hearing about it. Roman and rock are on the same side for now!? Man I don’t want to see that! All these Cody “fans” are just fickle and will move on to the next fad after mania once he wins. 

whatever rocks role in all of this is going forward it isn’t going to be near as big as it would of been before the Cody crybabies whined bitched moaned and we’re kicking and screaming  for a week on social media until they got their way.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Cody can sit his ass down and wait his turn. Does it really matter if he beats roman at Summerslam or mania!? Got damn!! Roman vs rock is the biggest match they could have done and now that’s over. Rock didn’t come back for anything but rock vs Roman. It’s a mess.

The bloodline is a way bigger REAL story than this manufactured BS that’s horse***t about Cody’s got damn story. I’m sick of hearing about it. Roman and rock are on the same side for now!? Man I don’t want to see that! All these Cody “fans” are just fickle and will move on to the next fad after mania once he wins. 

whatever rocks role in all of this is going forward it isn’t going to be near as big as it would of been before the Cody crybabies whined bitched moaned and we’re kicking and screaming  for a week on social media until they got their way.

I think this all could have been avoided if they would have pushed Rock to win the rumble. Set up a surprise entry for him at number 30 and have him win. Then he would get first dibs at Roman. And Cody could win chamber and start a push at Seth. Problem fixed. Where they went wrong is Cody getting first dibs, because it made all his fans want to see him get that second chance shot.

I don’t think this is over yet though. They want you to think it’s settled. This is just good writing.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think this all could have been avoided if they would have pushed Rock to win the rumble. Set up a surprise entry for him at number 30 and have him win. Then he would get first dibs at Roman. And Cody could win chamber and start a push at Seth. Problem fixed. Where they went wrong is Cody getting first dibs, because it made all his fans want to see him get that second chance shot.

I don’t think this is over yet though. They want you to think it’s settled. This is just good writing.

I think that's exactly what should have happened.  I was sitting there waiting for Rock at 30, primarily because they did a great job setting up the final push of the rumble with all of the contenders. This was absolutely a pivot. I think the fact they were going to Philly spooked them with the crowd.  VM stuff has a lot to do with thoughtless creative.  They rushed everything.  

They still need an explanation for Cody winning and deciding not to choose Roman only to change his mind.  Just garbage.  I think they tag match night 1 and Cody vs Roman night 2. Drew vs Seth night 2. That sucks though.  Although they may tag if Rock can't go.  

I also think Seth being injured screws up EC. The tag match if it happened should be there.  Cody should have lost rumble and then he had no choice. 

IF they wanted to "finish the story"  Roman needed to go through Rock to make him the final boss for Cody to pin at WM. Even if Roman and Rock night 1 and Cody night 2

Agreed this whole thing makes Rock weak, Cody weak, and Seth just plain secondary garbage despite the fact he raised that title standard the best he could leading up to it.  

I think at this point I would rather Stone Cold come out against the Rock at EC that makes Rock want to handle him instead and meet Roman at SS or WM next year. Still want Cody to get cashed in on by DPriest at WM after he wins 😆 

Side note, does Rock come to the ring with any sort of Rocky nostalgia in Philly??

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Still want Cody to get cashed in on by DPriest at WM after he wins 😆 

Well I hadn’t thought about that, but that’s a quick way to start riots lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Agreed this whole thing makes Rock weak, Cody weak, and Seth just plain secondary garbage despite the fact he raised that title standard the best he could leading up to it.  

I think Roman and Seth have looked the weakest in this. That PC last night made Roman look like Rock’s lackey goon. Roman. I really like the PG-13 stuff though. And I think the story is deep and has a good build up.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Well I hadn’t thought about that, but that’s a quick way to start riots lol

That's why I like it.  The focus has been on finishing the story.  He does it only to lose it instantly 😆 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 11:39 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Wrasslin fans are fickle. They see a hot bandwagon angle  filling up and it’s a mad dash to all have group think together collectively. There’s no way that I believe this many people want to see Cody vs Roman 2. A main event we just saw last year ffs. People have been clamoring for Rock vs Roman for several years. Now everyone is like nah??? They just want Cody to win the title and “finish his story”.  Which please for the love of God can we just stfu about it!? It’s repeated over and over! As soon as wrestling fans get what they want they move on to something else real quickly. As soon as Cody wins a lot of his popularity will start to erode. 

They do. People need a payoff on this damned angle.

On 9/2/2023 at 4:03 PM, Paladin said:

Good to see Kahn stepping up and being a boss. 

Now Punk is banned from Collision. 

It’s funny looking back on this now. WWE is putting out a quality product and AEW is withering with their heatless bangers.

AEW has bad creative. Like really bad. It was built around a very niche audience and got hot while WWE was in a terrible state regarding booking and it actually looked like a viable alternative. Now that WWE has gotten their act together and AEW looks like warmed over ass what once looked like a viable challenger is melting.

And it’s funny people framed that as Tony being a boss. Ultimately it was his failure to be the boss that lead to where we are now. 

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It’s funny looking back on this now. WWE is putting out a quality product and AEW is withering with their heatless bangers.

AEW has bad creative. Like really bad. It was built around a very niche audience and got hot while WWE was in a terrible state regarding booking and it actually looked like a viable alternative. Now that WWE has gotten their act together and AEW looks like warmed over ass what once looked like a viable challenger is melting.

And it’s funny people framed that as Tony being a boss. Ultimately it was his failure to be the boss that lead to where we are now. 

Well said!!! As someone who is fully on team WWE I cannot love this enough!!! Wwe is en fuego right now and aew is struggling to fill up buildings even half the size of the buildings that WWE runs. 

48 minutes ago, AUDub said:

They do. People need a payoff on this damned angle.

What angle? It’s pretty clear Cody only won the rumble last year because Rock decided to turn it down and Cody’s return from injury lined up with when the rumble was and wwe loves those types to win the rumble. It felt just thrown together. Cody and Roman had no history together. It was random. The rock and Roman have an easy built in storyline about the battle of the bloodline and who really runs the bloodline and is head of the table. Plus it’s the biggest possible match wwe can put on right now. It’s a dream match that has been discussed for years. It’s ridiculous we have to wait another year for it or maybe never…. I’m pissed and won’t get over it. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

What angle? It’s pretty clear Cody only won the rumble last year because Rock decided to turn it down and Cody’s return from injury lined up with when the rumble was and wwe loves those types to win the rumble. It felt just thrown together. Cody and Roman had no history together. It was random. The rock and Roman have an easy built in storyline about the battle of the bloodline and who really runs the bloodline and is head of the table. Plus it’s the biggest possible match wwe can put on right now. It’s a dream match that has been discussed for years. It’s ridiculous we have to wait another year for it or maybe never…. I’m pissed and won’t get over it. 

That match doesn’t need the world title. Get it off of Roman first and pay off the Cody angle. As much as you don’t like it people are very VERY invested in it at this point and need that payoff  

Then you get the heat machine fired up with tension between the Rock and Roman because losing the belt means Roman isn’t good enough to be the tribal chief without it. Have them feud. Have the loyalty of the bloodline all over the place. Bam. Summerslam main event is right there.

Meanwhile Cody can go off with the title and feud with Gunther, who they’re going to have to push to main event status shortly, or someone else. Maybe Bron Steiner gets his initial main event push here lol. 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That match doesn’t need the world title. Get it off of Roman first and pay off the Cody angle. As much as you don’t like it people are very VERY invested in it at this point and need that payoff  

Then you get the heat machine fired up with tension between the Rock and Roman because losing the belt means Roman isn’t good enough to be the tribal chief without it. Have them feud. Have the loyalty of the bloodline all over the place. Bam. Summerslam main event is right there.

Meanwhile Cody can go off with the title and feud with Gunther, who they’re going to have to push to main event status shortly, or someone else. Maybe Bron Steiner gets his initial main event push here lol. 

No matter how strong they book Cody and treat him like a star he will always be a mid carder (fuggin star dust still exists!) at best to me. It is  all he ever was in his first WWE run and all he was in aew. Him not getting over in aew tells me all I need to know about him….

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

No matter how strong they book Cody and treat him like a star he will always be a mid carder (fuggin star dust still exists!) at best to me. It is  all he ever was in his first WWE run and all he was in aew. Him not getting over in aew tells me all I need to know about him….

No that’s absolutely wrong. Him leaving WWE and going independent then to Japan then AEDub then coming back ended up being perfect for him.

As an aside, I’m convinced he’s the only VP that understood mainstream wrestling AEW had and it was him propping that company initially since Omega and the Bucks only know the IWC stuff and Jericho has lost his marbles. Punk kept it going for a bit but now AEW is treading water.

He’s absolutely a legitimate star now and literally “white hot” over. Whether you like it or not people are extremely invested in him putting Roman in his place. He’s the over star right now and the timing is right  

There’s going to be an inevitable cool off after this angle. It’s inevitable given how long Roman has had the title, but you risk the pay off altogether if you don’t s*** or get off the pot.

Edited by AUDub

Hehe. Look at me discussing META booking like a smark lol. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

No that’s absolutely wrong. Him leaving WWE and going independent then to Japan then AEDub then coming back ended up being perfect for him.

As an aside, I’m convinced he’s the only VP that understood mainstream wrestling AEW had and it was him propping that company initially since Omega and the Bucks only know the IWC stuff and Jericho has lost his marbles. Punk kept it going for a bit but now AEW is treading water.

He’s absolutely a legitimate star now and literally “white hot” over. Whether you like it or not people are extremely invested in him putting Roman in his place. He’s the over star right now and the timing is right  

There’s going to be an inevitable cool off after this angle. It’s inevitable given how long Roman has had the title, but you risk the pay off altogether if you don’t s*** or get off the pot.

Exactly that’s my whole point! He left wwe because he was a nobody by the time he left. Wwe gave him every opportunity to become a star and nothing took. The same fan’s didn’t give a ish about him. In AEW he still couldn’t become a star and top guy. He’s just not credible at all in this jerrrrrrrrn ceeeeena role they clearly are going for. 

he’s going to cool off after he wins at mania because  without a real viable mega star and main eventer to play off of in Roman fans will become less invested in him. And yes I agree the fans def are big fans of him but as we all know wwe fans are the most fickle kind of fan!! It’s way easy to get to the top than stay there in wwe.