Barkley's TV ads

tigerman1186

I know Chuck likes to play the fool at times, but it is hard watching what they're making him do in those Master Cards commercials...anyway, I thought Samuel Jackson was leaving the country when Pres. Trump was elected....last year they were funny/cute, now they're just stupid...making Chuck look like a fool... 

Yeah I kinda feel the same way. I hate that those commercials have devolved into portraying Barkley as an Ever increasing dumb$$. Barkley has become as much if not more entertainer than sports commentator. His quotes address politics, race relations, state pride, and school allegiance.  He's an opportunist who's willing to say or do most anything for a buck. I recall him getting into a financial pickle years back over gambling debt, so it's likely he'll do just about anything to fund his habits, whatever they might be. He's still a big hoot to listen to.

The first couple were funny.....but they got old right away and now I consider them as a good reason NOT to have that card...and a good reason to check the other ball games.

y'all!!!

Think about it for a second ... Sam Jackson and Spike Lee are 2 iconic figures in pop culture, particularly black pop culture.  the fact that Charles Barkley ... the basketball player from Leeds and Auburn Alabama is included with them is very impressive to me.  It transcends sports in to popular culture.  I think it is crazy cool.  I don't think it makes him look any more buffoon-ish than peyton manning did in his dead-pan commercials.  Personally, I think they are funny and fun.  If it wasn't so obviously self-deprecating then it might be uncomfortable, but it is obvious.

I like them. It is obvious it is Tongue and Cheek and they are funny.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

y'all!!!

Think about it for a second ... Sam Jackson and Spike Lee are 2 iconic figures in pop culture, particularly black pop culture.  the fact that Charles Barkley ... the basketball player from Leeds and Auburn Alabama is included with them is very impressive to me.  It transcends sports in to popular culture.  I think it is crazy cool.  I don't think it makes him look any more buffoon-ish than peyton manning did in his dead-pan commercials.  Personally, I think they are funny and fun.  If it wasn't so obviously self-deprecating then it might be uncomfortable, but it is obvious.

Barkley hosting SNL a couple of weeks ago was funny as hell.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like them. It is obvious it is Tongue and Cheek and they are funny.

True...but the purpose of million dollar TV ads is to sell something.    Guess maybe some people might be drawn to get them a new credit card by that ad....but I really wonder.?      But then again, I doubt I am in the demographics of the target audience....so that has to be considered too.  Trust CB is getting paid well and I never object to a person making an honest buck... 

Archived