Is Putin a fascist? An autocrat?

TexasTiger

Your basic KGB thug....

In many respects, Russia could be considered fascist. Many of the requirements to be considered fascist are satisfied, especially if you agree with Mussolini's original definition, but some of them are not, so I wouldn't put them in that box quite yet.

The militaristic rhetoric is somewhat tempered. Putin thinks like a spy.

It lacks the ethnic component generally associated with past fascist states. 

The idea of revolutionary fascist justice isn't there. Putin’s goal is preserving the state-oligarchal capitalism inherited from Yeltsin. I would say it's not as heavily centralized as one would expect in a full fascist state, but having all of his cronies in charge is a step in the right (ahem) direction.

With the right people in charge or if Putin goes just a bit further, Russia could easily flip the switch to becoming a raging fascist state, but I wouldn't consider it one yet. The seeds (Extreme nationalism, anti-liberalism and authoritarianism) are definitely there. 

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

In many respects, Russia could be considered fascist. Many of the requirements to be considered fascist are satisfied, especially if you agree with Mussolini's original definition, but some of them are not, so I wouldn't put them in that box quite yet.

The militaristic rhetoric is somewhat tempered. Putin thinks like a spy.

It lacks the ethnic component generally associated with past fascist states. 

The idea of revolutionary fascist justice isn't there. Putin’s goal is preserving the state-oligarchal capitalism inherited from Yeltsin. I would say it's not as heavily centralized as one would expect in a full fascist state, but having all of his cronies in charge is a step in the right (ahem) direction.

With the right people in charge or if Putin goes just a bit further, Russia could easily flip the switch to becoming a raging fascist state, but I wouldn't consider it one yet. The seeds (Extreme nationalism, anti-liberalism and authoritarianism) are definitely there. 

Good point...had not thought of it that way.....that explains the sneaky war we are engaged in with them.....rather than an " in your face" cold war.  

And no point in them becoming a raging fascist state as you mention because the Europeans are showing little or no resistance to whatever he wants to do.  His energy policy has most of the Europeans by the "you know what".

Archived