ADay Thoughts

PChamp119

Will the rest of the Nation that thought Kenny Irons would be 3rd string (or 2nd string) finally agree with me and the few around here that Kenny Irons will be the starting RB. This kid is so amazing, I don't care about experience. Yea he was at USC and has 1 year under his belt, but a few around here seem to think that Tre and Carl have "experience" over him, which is more important. This Kenny Irons boy is just amazing. I realize he was against the 2nd string defense most of the time (2nd team defense as in, because most of the 1st string sat out), but this boy it gonna be the man. I still like Tre over Carl Stewart. Tre did fumble, but Carl does not impress me at all - I don't know what all this "Carl is like a Ronnie Brown" talk is all about.

Stanley McLover is sooo funny.

Brandon Cox... I continue my disproval of him, but I still like him over the rest of our QBs. That boy needs to learn to avoid sacks. He will make passes and make drives, but he is gonna put us in 3rd and long a lot this year.

Kenny Irons is playing very well and probably should start by the way he is playing, but Tre is going to start. To me, the question isn't who's going to start... but who's going to play the most. Tre will start while both Carl and Kenny getting carries. I don't see one being "the guy" this year. All of them will have their packages they are on the field with and all of them should see similar amounts of snaps. Right now, I see Tre as the best cutter and direction changer, Carl as the strongest runner, and Kenny with the speed. Whoever plays should do just fine.

About Cox and the sacks... That's going to happen when you're going against McClover and Groves. On obvious passing downs, you have to double team those guys to buy some extra time. I haven't seen the final stats, but Cox was 11 for 17 with 100ish yards in the first half. That's pretty good if you ask me. Yes, it should be better at least TD wise - but I will take those stats at this time. He still have 5+ months to learn as much as he can. Cox will do just fine. Our schedule works out great for him with our first 5 or 6 games all being home games. I see him doing what he needs to with our stout defense aiding him.

pc, i don't mean this in a bad way, but have you been to practice much this spring or are you basing your thoughts on irons on today and last a-day? i know he looked great last spring. i know he looked good today. but if you've been watching these guys in practice (especially last weekend when the offense and the defense used their full packages), i don't think you'd see as wide a gap. tre really played great last week every time i saw him. he catches the ball much better than kenny or carl, and he knows all the blitz pickups. kenny's still learning that. i still say tre's going to be the starter on opening day based on more than just "experience." he's so versatile that he gives us the most options. that said, all three guys are going to get plenty of oppotunities next year to make plays.

i completely agree about brandon. he doesn't feel the rush as well as he should. he doesn't have a really strong arm. he will be much better by opening day. and i think we'll be okay with him. the offense just won't look the same as last year.

the defense is what really impressed me today. i realized that we were a LOT deeper than i thought. merrill johnson looks like a really solid player. dede would start for any other team in the sec. tony bell is going to find the field b/c he's so naturally talented, and he's huge. the only reason he may not start is b/c will, erik brock, and steve gandy all look good. lorenzo ferguson is going to be a terror as a nickel back. pat sims gets off the ball as quickly as demarco used to. and you can't say enough about mcclover and groves. they have gotten so much better (and i'd lump marquies gunn in there too) against the run that they may be the two best ends in the conference by opening day. defense is going to be fun to watch.

Cox never looked very sharp with his passes. It looked like he was just lofting all of them. He never really fired them in there. There was one play where C Taylor was breaking towards the corner of the endzone and had a guy behind him and Cox didn't throw it to him. Not sure why, but it could have been an easy TD. Neither offense impressed me that much. Kenny Irons did look very good, and so did Taylor. Other than that, it was really a defensive game. Stanley looked great along with Groves.

I think Kenny should start and get the majority of the carries. He looks a lot faster than the other backs and he definately hits the holes quicker. If he had Carnells vision he would be unstoppable. Where was Brad Lester today? I really had high hopes for him. I dont think anyone should be comparing Carl Stewert to Ronnie Brown at this point. He looks big and strong but I saw him get stopped in his tracks a few times by smaller defenders. I thought Brandon looked pretty good today. He throws well on the run and had threw some nice deep balls. As CTT said, he has the physical ability to be a very good quarterback in the SEC but he's not there mentally yet. That will come with experience. The defense looked very tough. Groves and McClover are going to be a nightmare for opposing QB's. If our offense starts clicking I look for us to have a very good season. Ga Tech will give us a good idea what kind of a team we will have.

It is hard to make any realistic assessment of this team based upon the A day! The offense was limited by "Vanilla" Play calling and the defense was so diluted by injuries to the LB's that it couldn't be judged either.

Two or three things do stand out however. One is Kenny Irons is an outstanding back and so is Trey. Carl Stewart has improved and so has McLaughlin. Kenny and Trey definately have the advantage right now. Brad Lester must recover from a severe hamstring pull to make any impression but has potential. Our tackles could NOT block either MCclover or Groves and these two are going to be a nightmare for teams this fall as rush ends. This made Cox look worse than he is. It's obvious that Courtney Taylor is going to be premire receiver in this league this year. Finally, I was impressed with the play of our secondary. It seems that Gibbs coaches an aggressive style of play and they COULD be as good next year even with the Loss of Rosegreen and Rogers. I like his style!

All in all, it was a typical "A"Day game. I believe that the Tigers are going to be very good next year and I think this team will surprise some people too. ! WDE! :cheer::au::au::au:

Just got back from Auburn, so I haven't gotten to watch the game on tape yet.

Being there I thought Irons was the best looking RB with Tre a little behind and Stewart well behind. The one thing I can say is that Cox impressed me. I can only think of 1 sack that was BC's fault. McClover's sacks were so fast that Cox never had a chance. Cox's passes were not bullets, but they were very accurate. He completed more than were incomplete and had several dropped by the WR.

The D looks good. We have good size at DB and DL. Hard to tell about LBs with so many not playing, but the ones that did looked good.

Realistically this is just another practice that cannot be taken too seriously.

Quick question: What was the final Attendance, since they Never anounced it over the PA.

Back to the Thread:

Kenny looked Really good, but I know that he still hasn't quite gotten the Blitz packages down pat....yet.

Cox looked......so so, but like I've said since the start of Spring.......The best QBs in the Country would look so so, if not Terrible, going against our DEnds.

"The Predator" looked true to his form.......5 to 6 Sacks. Freakin' Saawwweett.

I'd give the A-Day game :thumbsup::thumbsup: , mainly because I love Auburn, plus Finally a Sport worth Watching, and I got Tray Blackmon's signature on my Full Sized Helmet w/ Oakley Visor......Yessssss

War "BY GOD" Eagle

Quick question: What was the final Attendance, since they Never anounced it over the PA.

I heard on the news there were 30 somthing thousand in attendance. Not bad at all for a spring game.

McClover is a freak. He is Dwight Freeney fast. I pity our opponents.

Cox is getting better. He needs a summer to mature more. I am very glad we have the 5-2-1-2-1 schedule now. Time to mature at home.

Irons, very impressive.

Lee Guess, very impressive, at least to me.

Courtney Taylor, May be the best WR in the SEC, or nation.

Vaughn looked good early but was not perfect. Better, but not perfect/good as we need.

Dbs played reasonably well. The D shut us out of a rushing TD. Seems they are taking right back up where we were last year in Scoring D.

How can the OL not block one guy over and over? McClover ruined auburn's passing game and drives. Either that guy is the best DE in the country or Auburn's OL needs some serious work.

That guy IS the best DE in the country...he and Groves were tied for 2nd in the SEC in sacks last year.

And Kenny WILL be the starting tb by year's end...maybe before. IMHO....

Who saw Cox throw a ball at McClover after a play was over? I think it was when McClover had like 2 sacks out of three downs, I assume McClover may have said some "competitve" words, but Cox didnt like it, threw the ball at his legs, and walked off the field. Thought it was rather funny, but in the SEC...these beasts actually get to hit you buddy!

"tough love" baby!

Who saw Cox throw a ball at McClover after a play was over?  I think it was when McClover had like 2 sacks out of three downs, I assume McClover may have said some "competitve" words, but Cox didnt like it, threw the ball at his legs, and walked off the field.  Thought it was rather funny, but in the SEC...these beasts actually get to hit you buddy!

151764[/snapback]

they are teamates. they do this kinda stuff everyday in practice. i don't think it was anything negative.

Stanley McClover is a monster. I love watching him dance around on the sidelines with those long braids swinging around. He was everywhere.

Brandon has a long way to go. There were a few times when he had receivers open and he didn't see them. One would have been a touchdown. Hopefully he will get better with experience. I was impressed with the pass before halftime, he must have a better arm than I thought.

Kenny Irons looked good, not great. He seemed to be faster than the other two runningbacks.

Tre did not have one of his better days, but he is still a valuable player on offense.

Carl Stewart did not impress me at all. He seems to be a step slower than the other two backs.

The defense impressed me from what I saw. McClover and Groves are ausome.

I hope we continue to improve.

Stanley is absolutely amazing..he's going to give fits to the offenses we face this year. I hope the boys down in red stick have someone to at least slow him down or he's going to get a lot of "face" time with J. Russell.

Cox is going to be ok. He has a lot of room to grow but that's the good news. Would you rather read? Cox needs some work but has reached the peak of his game? Give him the summer and the fall practices to iron this out and before the first game he will be itchin' to get on the field.

Kenny Irons impressed me yesterday but Tre underperformed yesterday. It was still a good game to watch all around.

OL needs a lot of work. Groves and McClover are going to be well known across the nation. Those guys were throwing the offensive line around like rag dolls.

just so you guys know, tre had 34 yards on 8 carries (4.25 ypc) and irons had 78 on 18 carries (4.33 ypc). i'm not talkin bad about irons, but i think it's overstating it to say that he was a LOT more impressive than tre. i'll say again, tre's going to be our starter.

i think it's a credit to mcclover and groves getting to the qb against our tackles. he lined up mostly as a right end which means he was matched up against marcus who was first team all-sec last year. i'm pretty sure we don't have much to worry about at left tackle. troy was one of the top 5 or 6 tackles in the conference too last year... it's just asking a lot to block those guys one on one. as long as they stay at home when we need them too, they'll be the best ends in the conference (my favorite play by stanley was the sack on the naked boot b/c he was in the right position. he didn't fire down the line like he did last year. he was home and cox rolled right into him. great play).

ct and ben and devin (hope he's okay) and anthony all looked good in limited action. might be our best set of receivers ever from top to bottom.

Who saw Cox throw a ball at McClover after a play was over?  I think it was when McClover had like 2 sacks out of three downs, I assume McClover may have said some "competitve" words, but Cox didnt like it, threw the ball at his legs, and walked off the field.  Thought it was rather funny, but in the SEC...these beasts actually get to hit you buddy!

151764[/snapback]

they are teamates. they do this kinda stuff everyday in practice. i don't think it was anything negative.

151773[/snapback]

Not to worry--"...it's all love out there"
McClover, the back-to-back defensive MVP, didn't make it easy for Cox, though.

"I told him before the game I was going to throw him on the ground, so be ready for it," McClover said. "Cox knows it's all love out there. He's got to get used to it one of these days. We have to give him a little action out there."

Link

151764[/snapback]

151773[/snapback]

Not to worry--"...it's all love out there"
McClover, the back-to-back defensive MVP, didn't make it easy for Cox, though.

"I told him before the game I was going to throw him on the ground, so be ready for it," McClover said. "Cox knows it's all love out there. He's got to get used to it one of these days. We have to give him a little action out there."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1111313888221800.xml

151796[/snapback]

Dont get me wrong guys, I played fball in highschool....I saw and participated in "tough love" moments....I knew it was all fun and games, as I said: "i thought it was rather funny".

Quick question .. sorry if this has already been posted, but Aromashadu's injury wasn't really serious was it? I saw him get up and walk it off. was it just a cramp?

How can the OL not block one guy over and over? McClover ruined auburn's passing game and drives. Either that guy is the best DE in the country or Auburn's OL needs some serious work.

Mebbe a little of both. When the O-linemen are released to cut-block, they'll look much better, IMO. Pass blocking seems to be improving but the footwork is sloppy at times.

Cox never looked very sharp with his passes. It looked like he was just lofting all of them. He never really fired them in there. There was one play where C Taylor was breaking towards the corner of the endzone and had a guy behind him and Cox didn't throw it to him. Not sure why, but it could have been an easy TD. Neither offense impressed me that much. Kenny Irons did look very good, and so did Taylor. Other than that, it was really a defensive game. Stanley looked great along with Groves.

151730[/snapback]

AU contraire, mon ami...Cox hit Guess in the hands with two tough passes. They would've been nice catches, but the ball was there. So you can add those two to his stats.

There were 35006 at the game....

And Irons will be the starting tb at some point in the season...so let it be written...so let it be done! :big:

:au::homer:

AU contraire, mon ami...Cox hit Guess in the hands with two tough passes. They would've been nice catches, but the ball was there. So you can add those two to his stats.

There were 35006 at the game....

And Irons will be the starting tb at some point in the season...so let it be written...so let it be done!  :big:

:au:   :homer:

151828[/snapback]

Amen....Kenny Irons will be a starter this year, no questions about it.

Archived