Trump Can't Afford to Admit His Failures With North Korea

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

You don't know what you're talking about.

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

There have been starts and stops in this story for years.  Hopefully Trump can be an agent for positive change, but for goodness sakes research a bit before you make claims about how historic Trump's influence in the matter has been.

Research?  :lmao:

They don't even bother to read even when it's presented to them.

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

There have been starts and stops in this story for years.  Hopefully Trump can be an agent for positive change, but for goodness sakes research a bit before you make claims about how historic Trump's influence in the matter has been.

Someone needs to print this out and send it to Trump.  I am sure it will be news to him.

2 hours ago, HVAU said:

I do know that the U.S. bowing and scraping and dumping bundles of cash on North Korea has had zero long term positive results. Trump has moved the ball forward much, much farther than was done by previous leaders. Even should Trump fail, he cannot possibly fail worse than those that preceded him as POTUS.

PS: Yes, I did read your link. What it boiled down to is a list of abject failures, thus we find ourselves in the same position we were in 50 years ago, or worse.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I do know that the U.S. bowing and scraping and dumping bundles of cash on North Korea has has zero long term positive results. Trump has moved the ball forward much, much farther than was done by previous leaders. Even should Trump fail, he cannot possibly fail worse than those that preceded him as POTUS.

Much, much further than was done by previous leaders?

January 20, 1992: The two Koreas sign the South-North Joint Declaration on the Denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. Under the declaration, both countries agree not to “test, manufacture, produce, receive, possess, store, deploy or use nuclear weapons” or to “possess nuclear reprocessing and uranium enrichment facilities.” They also agree to mutual inspections for verification.

June 15, 1994: Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter negotiates a deal with North Korea in which Pyongyang confirms its willingness to “freeze” its nuclear weapons program and resume high-level talks with the United States. Bilateral talks are expected to begin, provided that North Korea allows the IAEA safeguards to remain in place, does not refuel its 5-megawatt nuclear reactor, and does not reprocess any spent nuclear fuel.

January 1996: North Korea agrees in principle to a meeting on missile proliferation issues, which had been requested in a letter by Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Thomas Hubbard. However, Pyongyang contends that the United States would have to ease economic sanctions before it could agree on a date and venue for the talks.

December 4-11, 1998: The United States and North Korea hold talks to address U.S. concerns about a suspected underground nuclear facility at Kumchang-ni. Pyongyang reportedly accepts in principle the idea of a U.S. inspection of the site but is unable to agree with U.S. proposals for “appropriate compensation.”

May 20-24, 1999: A U.S. inspection team visits the North Korean suspected nuclear site in Kumchang-ni. According to the State Department, the team finds no evidence of nuclear activity or violation of the Agreed Framework.

July 19, 2000: During a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong Il reportedly promises to end his country’s missile program in exchange for assistance with satellite launches from countries that have expressed concern about North Korea’s missile program.

September 27, 2000: U.S.-North Korean talks resume in New York on nuclear issues, missiles, and terrorism. The two countries issue a joint statement on terrorism, a move that indicates progress toward removing North Korea from the State Department’s terrorism list.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

You don't know what you're talking about and apparently don't care to research for five minutes to change your state of knowledge.

I along with, I hope, everyone else would like to see this issue resolved, but so far Trump has done nothing significant when compared to actions taken by previous leaders.  Take your MAGA glasses off for just a moment and you will see that.

6 minutes ago, HVAU said:

Much, much further than was done by previous leaders?

January 20, 1992: The two Koreas sign the South-North Joint Declaration on the Denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. Under the declaration, both countries agree not to “test, manufacture, produce, receive, possess, store, deploy or use nuclear weapons” or to “possess nuclear reprocessing and uranium enrichment facilities.” They also agree to mutual inspections for verification.

June 15, 1994: Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter negotiates a deal with North Korea in which Pyongyang confirms its willingness to “freeze” its nuclear weapons program and resume high-level talks with the United States. Bilateral talks are expected to begin, provided that North Korea allows the IAEA safeguards to remain in place, does not refuel its 5-megawatt nuclear reactor, and does not reprocess any spent nuclear fuel.

January 1996: North Korea agrees in principle to a meeting on missile proliferation issues, which had been requested in a letter by Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Thomas Hubbard. However, Pyongyang contends that the United States would have to ease economic sanctions before it could agree on a date and venue for the talks.

December 4-11, 1998: The United States and North Korea hold talks to address U.S. concerns about a suspected underground nuclear facility at Kumchang-ni. Pyongyang reportedly accepts in principle the idea of a U.S. inspection of the site but is unable to agree with U.S. proposals for “appropriate compensation.”

May 20-24, 1999: A U.S. inspection team visits the North Korean suspected nuclear site in Kumchang-ni. According to the State Department, the team finds no evidence of nuclear activity or violation of the Agreed Framework.

July 19, 2000: During a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong Il reportedly promises to end his country’s missile program in exchange for assistance with satellite launches from countries that have expressed concern about North Korea’s missile program.

September 27, 2000: U.S.-North Korean talks resume in New York on nuclear issues, missiles, and terrorism. The two countries issue a joint statement on terrorism, a move that indicates progress toward removing North Korea from the State Department’s terrorism list.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

You don't know what you're talking about and apparently don't care to research for five minutes to change your state of knowledge.

I along with, I hope, everyone else would like to see this issue resolved, but so far Trump has done nothing significant when compared to actions taken by previous leaders.  Take your MAGA glasses off for just a moment and you will see that.

As I noted above, I read that. What long term good did all that do? None.

38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think the point is Trump has accomplished nothing.  (Well, except for offering Kim Un the prestige of a personal meeting with the POTUS, something they have wanted forever.) 

He has most certainly not "moved the ball forward much, much farther than was done by previous leaders".

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You're claiming that Trump has moved the process further than any other leader.  I have demonstrated that that is not correct, but you moved the goal post by asserting that the actions of previous leaders have all failed, which has an implicit assertion that Trump's has been a success.  However, we do not yet know whether or not Trump's approach will succeed or fail.

Again, if you'll take a break from hoisting Trump onto that pedestal you'll see I'm not attacking Trump here.  I'm actually rooting for success, but let's all be realistic about how far this process still has to go, and recognize that we've been here before.

7 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

So much winning.

You're going to tie so much you'll be sick of tying?

Archived