Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Why is it unfortunate? Hhaha I'm still chuckling for some reason.

Complete money pit. It runs only 1/6bbl kegs, so we make basically nothing off growler sales. Also, being in a suburban area, people don’t really buy growlers to begin with, especially since the fad is totally dying across the country. I hate the ******* thing and so do my coworkers. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Complete money pit. It runs only 1/6bbl kegs, so we make basically nothing off growler sales. Also, being in a suburban area, people don’t really buy growlers to begin with, especially since the fad is totally dying across the country. I hate the ******* thing and so do my coworkers. 

I wonder about that. I've never been much of a growler guy but I thought I was weird. Just so rarely a useful format for me. 

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wonder about that. I've never been much of a growler guy but I thought I was weird. Just so rarely a useful format for me. 

Unless you get a pressurized one, you’re stuck having to drink it all in one night or flat beer in the morning. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Unless you get a pressurized one, you’re stuck having to drink it all in one night or flat beer in the morning. 

I see folks getting growlers of 11% imperials and I’m like damn, they are planning on not remembering ‘ish.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This is why I never got into the growler thing. That much volume was in my past by the time it became a thing, lol

• Like 1

I’ll go ahead and post this here. Loof and I have been chatting about food and I was telling him about this soy sauce I had ordered, totally based on a Facebook review. Well, it is AFREAKINGMAZING. If you are any kind of fan of Asian food, order it. It’s aged for 4 years in sake barrels. 

Gah.

https://www.oishisojapan.com/home/2018/6/28/yamaroku-soy-sauce

• Love 2

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It’s certainly not beer. And it’s definitely unlike any hard seltzer I’ve ever had. 

NuIa3K1.jpg

Was it good?

For some reason I find the concept of a smoothie seltzer more appealing than either a smoothie beer or a normal hard seltzer. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Was it good?

For some reason I find the concept of a smoothie seltzer more appealing than either a smoothie beer or a normal hard seltzer. 

I found it quite enjoyable. Thicc AF. If you like orange juice with the pulp, you’d like this. It’s a lot like the cans of juice you’d get in the Hispanic section of an international market. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Meh. Too many IPAs out now to even get hyped about it. That said, previous years have definitely been better. This almost tastes watered down. Not crazy about going back to bottles from cans either—but I assume that’s gotta be a covid-related issue. 🤷‍♂️

Ywoiv66.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Meh. Too many IPAs out now to even get hyped about it. That said, previous years have definitely been better. This almost tastes watered down. Not crazy about going back to bottles from cans either—but I assume that’s gotta be a covid-related issue. 🤷‍♂️

Ywoiv66.jpg

I was actually excited about this year's release. Maybe I'll throw a single into a mixed sixer to test drive.

17 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Ywoiv66.jpg

You're correct. I read somewhere that it is due to the can shortage.

I gotta admit. I'm kinda tired of beer at the moment. Thinking about taking a break for a bit. Everything just kinda isn't hitting the spot. Not sure why. 

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

You're correct. I read somewhere that it is due to the can shortage.

I gotta admit. I'm kinda tired of beer at the moment. Thinking about taking a break for a bit. Everything just kinda isn't hitting the spot. Not sure why. 

I moved to drinking only on my off days for January(I can’t commit to full dry January), it’s been nice and the beer tastes better with a few days in between drinking. I might just keep it for the full year. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I moved to drinking only on my off days for January(I can’t commit to full dry January), it’s been nice and the beer tastes better with a few days in between drinking. I might just keep it for the full year. 

Some time in between definitely helps. I think I just need to hit a reset button. Clean out the beer fridge and start anew. 

I did pick up some tea brewed with hops that I really like. Great taste(think seltzer-ish with nice hop aroma and flavor). I def recommend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Some time in between definitely helps. I think I just need to hit a reset button. Clean out the beer fridge and start anew. 

I did pick up some tea brewed with hops that I really like. Great taste(think seltzer-ish with nice hop aroma and flavor). I def recommend.

We stayed dry until this past week. Last week was, well, reasons. And we're back dry again and are going to try to extend into February.  And it definitely made our brief time off the wagon more special and enjoyable.

And Fuge, I feel the same way about beer. I still have a truly fantastic one on occasion, but damn if I don't quickly find the flaw(s) in 99% of the beers I drink. Also, it's one or two and then I'm over it. I dunno if that's from too much beer consumption over the last 15 years or just getting old or both. But after one or two, I either need to switch to spirits or just not drink anymore. It's not beer's fault. It's me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We stayed dry until this past week. Last week was, well, reasons. And we're back dry again and are going to try to extend into February.  And it definitely made our brief time off the wagon more special and enjoyable.

And Fuge, I feel the same way about beer. I still have a truly fantastic one on occasion, but damn if I don't quickly find the flaw(s) in 99% of the beers I drink. Also, it's one or two and then I'm over it. I dunno if that's from too much beer consumption over the last 15 years or just getting old or both. But after one or two, I either need to switch to spirits or just not drink anymore. It's not beer's fault. It's me. 

Dude. I’m right there with you. I really think I’ve just pounded my palette into submission. It’s time for a break from all the heavy ass double and triple IPA’s. 

I very rarely have any alcohol during the week. I’ve done that for years. Me thinks it’s time for an extended break.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Signed a contract on a house today. Found out a store in Jackson, TN had 450 North, so we made a trip to buy to celebrate. No idea if they’re getting this legally but also DGAF.

It’s 🔥🔥🔥 

UgnpInT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Signed a contract on a house today. Found out a store in Jackson, TN had 450 North, so we made a trip to buy to celebrate. No idea if they’re getting this legally but also DGAF.

It’s 🔥🔥🔥 

UgnpInT.jpg

Dude! Congrats on the house! I guess I’m gonna have to get on the 450N train. Lots of folks raving about their stuff.

After all my big talk last week, I traded with a guy down in NOLA and he sent me some bangers. Currently having this one. I Told You This Would Happen DDH triple IPA from Great Raft. It’s a collab with Cellestial out of Dallas. Absolutely delicious.

89BBC1B3-5684-419F-BB4A-E530E544380E.jpeg

Edited by Tiger Refuge
Forget the pic
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dude! Congrats on the house! I guess I’m gonna have to get on the 450N train. Lots of folks raving about their stuff.

After all my big talk last week, I traded with a guy down in NOLA and he sent me some bangers. Currently having this one. I Told You This Would Happen DDH triple IPA from Great Raft. It’s a collab with Cellestial out of Dallas. Absolutely delicious.

89BBC1B3-5684-419F-BB4A-E530E544380E.jpeg

They’re crazy delicious. But I daresay that anything SGB does is as good or better (but I’ve had a lot more SGB brews). That beer you posted looks bomb. 

And thanks for the congrats on the house. Been searching since October. Going up against 25+ other offers on the regular is pretty frustrating. Finally we decided to go with **** it money with an offer and they accepted (with a counter offer based on appraisal). 

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

They’re crazy delicious. But I daresay that anything SGB does is as good or better (but I’ve had a lot more SGB brews). That beer you posted looks bomb. 

And thanks for the congrats on the house. Been searching since October. Going up against 25+ other offers on the regular is pretty frustrating. Finally we decided to go with **** it money with an offer and they accepted (with a counter offer based on appraisal). 

I can’t imagine being in a housing market like that. Y’all still in SW TN, correct?

That sucker was amazing. First one of those I e ever tried, and now I have a 4-pack headed this way.

37 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I can’t imagine being in a housing market like that. Y’all still in SW TN, correct?

That sucker was amazing. First one of those I e ever tried, and now I have a 4-pack headed this way.

We’ll be in Cordova, which the house is conveniently located behind the Flying Saucer (best craft beer bar chain in Memphis). Total seller’s market here. The agent for this house got 75 text messages with inquiries about it the day it went on the market. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We’ll be in Cordova, which the house is conveniently located behind the Flying Saucer (best craft beer bar chain in Memphis). Total seller’s market here. The agent for this house got 75 text messages with inquiries about it the day it went on the market. 

Man, I’m glad y’all got a place to call your own. There’s nothing quite like it, for sure! We rented for a long time(longer than I wanted). To me, it’s a great feeling knowing it’s “your” place.

We almost went to the downtown Flying Saucer last year after the marathon, but ended up at a little hole in the wall pub instead. Their beer selection wasn’t the best, but the cocktails were strong and the shepherds pie was absolutely delicious. Plus, we felt like locals patronizing there. I think the joint was called The Brass Door?

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Man, I’m glad y’all got a place to call your own. There’s nothing quite like it, for sure! We rented for a long time(longer than I wanted). To me, it’s a great feeling knowing it’s “your” place.

We almost went to the downtown Flying Saucer last year after the marathon, but ended up at a little hole in the wall pub instead. Their beer selection wasn’t the best, but the cocktails were strong and the shepherds pie was absolutely delicious. Plus, we felt like locals patronizing there. I think the joint was called The Brass Door?

We’re super stoked. It’s got a great kitchen and den, basically all I really looked for in all the houses we’ve looked at. Those are the two places we spend the most time in, so I wanted them to be as close to perfect as possible. And they don’t require any immediate upgrading. All appliances stay including washer/dryer, which is a huge plus for me because I don’t care to ever have to fool with connecting a dryer to the vent ever again. 

We got accepted on another house last Sunday, but we backed out. It was close to 100 years old and the 67(!) page inspection report made us run the other way. The house we signed on today was built in ‘78, so it’s half as old, but still has great bones. 

Brass Door sounds familiar, but I’ve never been. We rarely go downtown unless it’s for some sort of special occasion.

lcrSD7B.jpg
cOg2D1g.jpg

• Love 2