More lawyers on the way

Tigermike

Bob Barker Gives More Money to Establish Animal Rights Law Programs

By Brian Carnell

Wednesday, February 2, 2005

Bob Barker was busy in December endowing yet more animal rights law programs at major universities.

Barker gave $1 million each to both the Duke University School of Law and Columbia Law School to create animal rights law programs.

At Duke Law School, according to a press release,

The Barker fund will support teaching at Duke Law School in the growing field of animal rights law, including opportunities for students to work for course credit on cases involving compliance with state animal cruelty laws and other forms of animal rights advocacy. North Carolina is the only state that allows individuals and citizens' organizations to seek injunctions against violators of the state's animal cruelty laws.

At Columbia, according to the law school,

Mr. Barker's gift will support current initiatives into animal rights law, as well as open up possibilities in which the Law School will draw on its wealth of resources and contacts to develop future endeavors.

During the 2005-06 academic year, for example, the gift will be used to enlist the services of David Wolfson '93, a partner at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, to teach a class on animal rights. Mr. Wolfson represents, on a pro bono basis, groups such as the Humane Society of the United States and the Animal Legal Defense Fund. He also has published on animal rights law and has taught classes on the subject at several law schools.

There was also speculation that Barker may donate a similar amount to the University of Michigan Law School.  (He just did, but I have no link for it)

http://www.animalrights.net/archives/year/2005/000021.html

Now Mr. Barker has a new mission, which he is bankrolling with his own fortune. He has established endowments of $1 million each at several law schools - including those at Stanford, Columbia, Duke and the University of California, Los Angeles - for the study of animal-rights law. Other law schools, among them Northwestern University and the University of Michigan, are in the running for similar gifts.

The idea, he said, is to train a generation of lawyers, judges and legislators in animal rights and the widespread problems of cruelty and neglect.

But the dems sure will fight to keep President Bushs nominations being confirmed won't they?

http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_i...mc=1&forum_id=2

The bill, HR2929, calls for the banning of the use of elephants in circuses. "Elephants have suffered terribly ever since they have been used in circuses, and many, if not most of the people who go to circuses have no idea how miserably the elephants live and how terribly they are treated in order to make them perform," Bob explains. "I am doing all I can to help expose this cruelty. I am also hopeful that as people become more aware of the terrible suffering of animals in circuses that they will refuse to attend them. And that animals in circuses will become a thing of the past."

The left forcing their views on the nation and world is always much better and more noble than anything anyone else does.

http://www.thepetpress-la.com/articles/bobbarker.htm

I have no problem with this, and honestly don't see this as a Dem or Repub issue - this is a human issue. I wouldn't mind practicing animal rights law - for the most part, this focuses on enforcement of the laws we have in place that currently do not receive the enforcement they deserve, due to overlog in the courts. PROVEN FACT: Anyone capable of cruelty to animals is capable of cruelty to humans as well.

The way I read this, the attorney that does pro-bono work is not working for freak groups like PETA and Greenpeace. The Humane Society of America is a VERY worthwhile organization that manages no-kill shelters around the US. Both of my dogs are Humane Society adoptees. I support their efforts with my charitable dollars and with my volunteer time. IN NO WAY are they to be considered a radical animal rights group - they don't go around freeing bunnies from medial research cages, but they will accept animals who come from those places and will attempt to find them new homes if they are adoptable.

In North Carolina, unique among the 50 states for a law that enables individuals and citizens' organizations to obtain injunctions against violators of the state's animal cruelty laws, officials at Duke University plan to use part of their Barker gift to establish the North Carolina Animal Cruelty Project, which will monitor compliance with the laws and help litigate cruelty cases.

I think Bob Barker's endowments are wonderful - he has long been an advocate of responsible pet ownership - "Spay and Neuter Your Animals!" is his catch phrase. The other organization here in Houston that I support is a group that provides low or no costs sterilizations for dogs and cats to stop the overpopulation problem. A fabulous way to address the homeless animal issues in this country.

My own personal opinion is that traveling circuses are probably not the best environment for animals, and I personally do not attend them. My opinion.

I am sure that some pinkos at Stanford will find a way to use this money to protect the yellow bellied flying wing snatcher ant, but overall, this is a wonderufl thing for him to do. IMO. :D

The way I read this, the attorney that does pro-bono work is not working for freak groups like PETA and Greenpeace.  D

152374[/snapback]

Bob Barker, BTW is a card carrying member, marcher and sometimes spokesman for PETA. Spokesman that is when Pamela Anderson is not performing that job.

The way I read this, the attorney that does pro-bono work is not working for freak groups like PETA and Greenpeace.  D

152374[/snapback]

Bob Barker, BTW is a card carrying member, marcher and sometimes spokesman for PETA. Spokesman that is when Pamela Anderson is not performing that job.

152377[/snapback]

His perogative - he is also a vegetarian for PETA's reasons, not for health reasons only. Do I find that bizarre? Yes. But his $1M gift was not to PETA, and that indicates to me that he is not totally on board with their extremism. The law schools won't necessarily turn out little PETA attorneys - and the Humane Society certainly does not support PETA's efforts - at least the one here in Houston doesn't!! :P The sad thing is that PETA's basic underlying principle is sound - treat animals humanely and with dignity. But just like the Dem party, the extremists have taken over and drowned out the reasonable voices with their shrill screechings.

PROVEN FACT: Anyone capable of cruelty to animals is capable of cruelty to humans as well.

Not to hijack the thread, but more to this point...

One of the warning signs of children (and adults) who are capable of murder, or on that path, is if they are progressively cruel to animals, and eventually have no problems killing them.

Back to the topic, I agree with everything you said Jenny. I think PETA can be a little extreme, but I do think that animals are worth protecting with our laws.

PROVEN FACT: Anyone capable of cruelty to animals is capable of cruelty to humans as well.

Not to hijack the thread, but more to this point...

One of the warning signs of children (and adults) who are capable of murder, or on that path, is if they are progressively cruel to animals, and eventually have no problems killing them.

Back to the topic, I agree with everything you said Jenny. I think PETA can be a little extreme, but I do think that animals are worth protecting with our laws.

152389[/snapback]

WOW, channon! Two topics of agreement in one month! :P:P J/K.

I meant to include the same statement you made - the three things that are signs of a budding serial killer - (1) bedwetting, (2) fire setting (3) cruelty to animals. This information can be found in Sexual Homicide Patterns and Motives, page 29, written by R. Ressler, A. Burgess, and J. Douglas. These three executed a study involving 36 incarcerated serial killers, and compiled the data collected into a chart of childhood behavior traits among serial killers.

1. Bed-wetting-at least 60% of serial killers were wetting the bed past the age of 12.

2. Fire-starting-Otis Toole and Carl Panzram are two serial killers who started fires as children. Carl Panzram burned down the reformatory he was sent to. Toole set fire to a neighbors house. Fire fascination is an early manifestation of their obsession with destruction.

3. Animal torture-many serial killers, before moving to human victims, start with small animals. Ed Kemper killed neighborhood cats. A dog's severed head was found on a stick in the woods near Jeffrey Dahmer's childhood home.

There is no guarantee that if all three conditions are present, the child will grow up to become a serial killer. They are early warning signs to be aware of.

SerialKillersExposed/characteristics

The Humane Society of America is a VERY worthwhile organization that manages no-kill shelters around the US.  Both of my dogs are Humane Society adoptees.  I support their efforts with my charitable dollars and with my volunteer time.  IN NO WAY are they to be considered a radical animal rights group - they don't go around freeing bunnies from medial research cages, but they will accept animals who come from those places and will attempt to find them new homes if they are adoptable.

If the Humane Society of America is the same as the Humane Society of the United States, then they get not one red cent of my money.

The HSUS is one big anti-hunting and Anti-gun group. I might give to the local Humane Society. but if they take funds from HSUS, they don't get funds from me.

I couldn't find a Humane Society of America on the net. Or maybe I missed it.

I will go ahead and hijack this thread.

Why is it that those bedwetting, fire setting, cruel to animal, folks who eventually become cruel to humans are not incarcerated and kept behind bars?

And now the Supreme Court has declared the death penalty for minors who are murders and rapists and who started out as bedwetters, fire setters, cruel to animal kids.

Why is it that someone like this can remain on the street with a rap sheet with over 50 arrests?

4301422_200X150.jpg

I actually heard a lawyer on TV attempting to portray this pedophile murdering S.O.B. as a victim. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

4301422_200X150.jpg

I actually heard a lawyer on TV attempting to portray this pedophile murdering S.O.B. as a victim.    :angry2:  :angry2:  :angry2:

152408[/snapback]

Honestly, I hope that someday, in a prison shower or exercise yard, he DOES become a victim. :angry:

Archived