2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

8 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am having a bad day. Trying to work and reply. Natham King was the writer Brenden Coffey was the Juco OT in the article. He was not #1 Juco he said Auburn was currently his number #1. Sorry like I said I am having a bad day. 

No worries @AuburnNTexas & I hope your day gets much better.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So this guy is #4 Dual Threat QB?

Not sure if it's ever been discussed here, but does anyone know what criteria the major recruiting services use to classify QB's as "dual threat" vs. "pro style"?  Dual threat to me is Tebow, Cam, Marshal, Watson, Jackson, and not Stidham or Nix even though they are classified as DT.  Do they need to go ahead and make that 3rd grouping of Rodgers/Mayfield types who are very mobile and extend plays, but aren't going to be running the ball significant reps?

I recently proposed as much myself, but really we should probably just not care how a QB is classified. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I recently proposed as much myself, but really we should probably just not care how a QB is classified. 

Yeah, it was your post that got me thinking about it. Once GM demonstrates that he can win championships with any type of QB, I will cease to care how they are classified.:P

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tea leaves say anything interesting about this DB from LA who just decommitted from UF?

No tea leaves or AU related report. Keith is on Vaca in Hawaii & JLee doesn't cover recruiting very well.

So my friend's son, that I have been bragging on for last few years (http://www.hudl.com/profile/7549490/Michael-McNutt) was in AU yesterday and had a great time.  He worked hard and turned some heads.  They recorded him almost all day doing the drills.  Coach Grimes was around him all day giving pointers and talking to him.  Apparently they had him going against the JUCO kids most all day.  He did good but got beat a few times.  He is not a day 1 starter due to lack of good coaching but has the size and desire.  Everyone is hoping for an offer but realize that may be just a dream.  Anyway, excited for the kid and hoping for the best.

IMG_0139.jpg

Edit: PS My wife wanted to crop the picture because she said it didn't show Micheal's true size.  I said but it shows he is in AU.  She asked how anyone would possibly know that.  :)  ahhhhh  some people just don't understand :) 

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 6/12/19)

A name to keep an eye on is 3* DT Jaden Hardy. 3 Rivals writers have him picked to AU. Keith & Jason have not said a word on him yet so I will wait til they do before making a profile for him.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A name to keep an eye on is 3* DT Jaden Handy. 3 Rivals writers have him picked to AU. Keith & Jason have not said a word on him yet so I will wait til they do before making a profile for him.

Hmm. Chancellor Handy from Saraland, by chance? Jaden Handy appears to be a RB out of NOLA. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Hmm. Chancellor Handy from Saraland, by chance? Jaden Handy appears to be a RB out of NOLA. 

No. Jaden Hardy.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaden-Hardy-46052753/

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/jaden-hardy-211856

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Jaden Hardy....not Handy....It would be cool if it was Handy though. Then we would have Handy and Handy on the DLine in a couple of years

Is this kid a Project for Rodney? Or a hidden gem? I was just looking at his offer list and he doesn't have that impressive of an offer list....Maybe he is another DJ Williams type that flies under the radar. Looks like UT and Vandy have offered, but no real power houses. 

I was looking at the updated OP.....I am kinda starting to worry about our Defensive recruiting. I know we are trending big for some good LBs but we have one single D committed...and he's just a 3*. We have always recruiting WRS very well under Gus and that looks the case again. Our OL recruiting has picked up, but I am concerned here. Looking at other classes they are already loaded on the defensive side of the ball. Any input or should I put my concerns to bed...I have faith in Coach Steel and the Defensive Staff. I would like to see some D commits soon though

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ah, I see the issue. It's Hardy.

Damn! I've been reading it as Handy the past couple days. No Freudian psycho analytics please. lol

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Damn! I've been reading it as Handy the past couple days. No Freudian psycho analytics please. lol

Hahahahaha

(I know I already gave you the laugh reaction, but I had to double down. SOLID!)

19 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I was looking at the updated OP

Still not completely updated. I'm doing a few names a day.

I am kinda starting to worry about our Defensive recruiting.

I wouldn't worry yet. We are in a good spot with 4* DT McKinnley Jackson & CRG typically walks late. DB recruiting is a concern though since this year's crop of DBs are not as talented as usual overall & we need DBs.

we have one single D committed

Mark Murphy says if we don't have more D commits by the end of Summer then that's the time to get concerned so we still have a few months.

and he's just a 3*

Which we all know means nothing for a reason to be concerned

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

DB recruiting is a concern though since this year's crop of DBs are not as talented as usual overall & we need DBs.

Like you said, this isn't a strong DB class. I would go after a few, but I wouldn't take a flyer on any. We have some good young talent that will progress into the starting roles next year. We can afford a small class this year with the weaker class allowing us to go full out next year in what should be a much better class.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Still not completely updated. I'm doing a few names a day.

I wouldn't worry yet. We are in a good spot with 4* DT McKinnley Jackson & CRG typically walks late. DB recruiting is a concern though since this year's crop of DBs are not as talented as usual overall & we need DBs.

Mark Murphy says if we don't have more D commits by the end of Summer then that's the time to get concerned so we still have a few months.

Which we all know means nothing for a reason to be concerned

OK well that makes me feel somewhat better. Yes I know the star rankings don't mean much I trust Coach Steele's evals. Are we that thin at DB? I know we lose Thomas, Dinson, J. Davis after this year and possibly Iffy if he were to show out....what do we have behind them....Smoke, Sherwood, Tutt, McCreary, Jordyn Peters., Zion Puckett, Neamiah Pritchett...that' all I can think of....what about JAylon Simpson and Jashawn Sheffield.....are they going to be DBs or wasn;t one recruited to be WR?

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

OK well that makes me feel somewhat better. Yes I know the star rankings don't mean much I trust Coach Steele's evals. Are we that thin at DB? I know we lose Thomas, Dinson, J. Davis after this year and possibly Iffy if he were to show out....what do we have behind them....Smoke, Sherwood, Tutt, McCreary, Jordyn Peters., Zion Puckett, Neamiah Pritchett...that' all I can think of....what about JAylon Simpson and Jashawn Sheffield.....are they going to be DBs or wasn;t one recruited to be WR?

Next year, we have Smoke and Sherwood at safety along with Askew. We are desperately thin at safety just like we were when we signed Smoke and Sherwood. 

Simpson is a corner and Sheffield was recruited to play WR but could switch back to DB. 

Starting safeties, Corner, and nickel should be fine next year, but we need to be recruiting for the future.

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Like you said, this isn't a strong DB class. I would go after a few, but I wouldn't take a flyer on any. We have some good young talent that will progress into the starting roles next year. We can afford a small class this year with the weaker class allowing us to go full out next year in what should be a much better class.

Staff is looking to take a juco or 2 I think.

41 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Are we that thin at DB?

A bit. We didn't get the numbers we wanted at Safety last class & Kelly transferring immediately hurt too. Bird covered the rest of your post thoroughly.

47 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Next year, we have Smoke and Sherwood at safety along with Askew. We are desperately thin at safety just like we were when we signed Smoke and Sherwood. 

Simpson is a corner and Sheffield was recruited to play WR but could switch back to DB. 

Starting safeties, Corner, and nickel should be fine next year, but we need to be recruiting for the future.

Thanks Bird. So i forgot about Kelley leaving. That was a big loss. Are Pritchett and Puckett Corners? and Tutt is playing nickle who is behind him....

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Thanks Bird. So i forgot about Kelley leaving. That was a big loss. Are Pritchett and Puckett Corners? and Tutt is playing nickle who is behind him....

I think next year Tutt will move to corner and Zion will take over nickel. Pritchett is a corner.

22 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think next year Tutt will move to corner and Zion will take over nickel. Pritchett is a corner.

FWIW Keith says Pritchett can play at CB or Safety.

Archived