2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orluttnybqvsehi4mrhn

Nathan King • AuburnSports

A recent trip to a Power-5 program left a bad taste in
Brenden Coffey’s mouth.

A JUCO offensive tackle whose recruitment has rapidly surged as of late, Coffey took an unofficial visit to Cal before coming to Auburn this weekend, and the Golden Bears didn’t exactly pass with flying colors in his eyes.

“They just kind of walked me around,” Coffey said. “It didn’t really seem legit. It didn’t seem like they were taking it as seriously as they could have.”

Admittedly, Coffey was then skeptical about his upcoming official visit to Auburn — or any school, for that matter.

But according to Coffey, he couldn’t have been happier on the Plains this weekend.

“It was amazing,” Coffey said. “It was more than I ever could have expected, really. I came here not really knowing what I was going to get, but it was overwhelming and astounding overall.

“I liked the homey feeling it had. Everyone was super close with each other. When I was walking around everything just felt really natural.”

Expected to graduate in December and enroll in a program where he will have three years to play two seasons, Coffey is a 6-foot-6, 275-pound junior college left tackle — though he said he’s shot up to 6-foot-7 recently.

Coffey defines himself as an aggressive player on the field, and a fast learner off it. As a JUCO product looking to continue to rise and improve, Coffey has a grip on his weaknesses, as well.

He said he’s looking to improve his footwork and fundamental hand techniques next season, adding that some aspects of playing tackle don’t come as naturally to him because of his length.

But that size and athleticism — combined with his production as a freshman at Butte Community College (Oroville, Calif.) — has caught the eye of several major college football programs.

Coffey said he currently has offers from Arizona, Nevada, UCLA, Oregon, Utah and Auburn — though none have made as sizeable of an impact thus far as offensive line coach J.B. Grimes and the Tigers have.

“I came here, and they just had so much personality and life to them,” Coffey said, "that it made it really easy to be like, ‘Wow. I want to be here.’

“Auburn is my No. 1 right now… I’m actually kind of sad that I’m leaving.”

JBGs continues to buck the narrative that he can’t recruit or that he’s not relatable. He just needs to land the plane on some more of these guys.

14 minutes ago, toddc said:

JBGs continues to buck the narrative that he can’t recruit or that he’s not relatable. He just needs to land the plane on some more of these guys.

He does? Weird flex for a 3 star JUCO OL but aight. We are not landing our top targets so I guess YAY be excited for the backup backup plans he gets.

I AM EXCITED that this dude comes from Aaron Rodgers old juco school!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Love that. Hope he turns out to be as good at his position as A Rod has been at his. Lets start a new pipeline baby!!!! BUTTE COLLEGE TO AU BAAAAAY BAAAAAAY!!!!!! LETS GOOOOO!!!!! WAR DAMN!!!!!

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I AM EXCITED that this dude comes from Aaron Rodgers old juco school!!!!!!!!

Aaron Rodgers reaction1.gif

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Aaron Rodgers reaction1.gif

PUFF, PUFF, PASS. Right @aubiefifty?  lol

tr.gif

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

PUFF, PUFF, PASS. Right @aubiefifty?  lol

tr.gif

He may smoke the reefer but he sure cannot chug a beer. 

4 hours ago, CR said:

One time AU commit Demouy Kennedy committed to Bama.

Interesting. He had been trending LSU.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

You do realize he's getting a lot of help from the O staff right?...Specifically Dilly.

55 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He does? Weird flex for a 3 star JUCO OL but aight. We are not landing our top targets so I guess YAY be excited for the backup backup plans he gets.

@GwillMac6 given the bind Gus put us in with OL recruiting via his philosophy in previous years the top 2 Juco OL at their respective positions aren't back ups to back ups or even back up plans. We need guys from the 2020 class that can go right out of the gate for the 2020 season & that doesn't happen often with true freshmen OL. In this case I'd look less at stars & more at rank within position.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

BUTTE COLLEGE TO AU BAAAAAY BAAAAAAY!!!!!!

Nice to see Adam Cole stop by.

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He may smoke the reefer but he sure cannot chug a beer. 

Watered down cat piss can be hard to drink.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Watered down cat piss can be hard to drink.

It’s not necessarily pleasing at first taste for a rookie. It’s an acquired taste that is much appreciated on a hot day. 

giphy.gif

200.gif

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

All I’ve heard is that we don’t take guys that can help us and when we do you’re making fun of it! It’s still early and I said in my post he needs to land the plane on some top guys. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

You do realize he's getting a lot of help from the O staff right?...Specifically Dilly.

I would think most recruiting is a team sport. It seems that I’m reading more and more about recruits responding to JBG in these articles though, and that’s what I was reacting to.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I would think most recruiting is a team sport. It seems that I’m reading more and more about recruits responding to JBG in these articles though, and that’s what I was reacting to.

OL recruits have always been asked about & talked about JBG in article since he would be their position coach should they come here. There's nothing more about JB in articles than they has been.

4 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Coffey said he currently has offers from Arizona, Nevada, UCLA, Oregon, Utah and Auburn — though none have made as sizeable of an impact thus far as offensive line coach J.B. Grimes and 

This is what I’m referencing.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

OL recruits have always been asked about & talked about JBG in article since he would be their position coach should they come here. There's nothing more about JB in articles than they has been.

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is what I’m referencing.

nat.gif

Just now, CR said:

Damn, that's a classic GMac.

The original is my favorite one! Everyone loves Christmas Vacation and for good reason but the First one will always be my favorite!!

Archived