2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

59 minutes ago, autan said:

Does this mean you think both of them may be trying to get AU to accept their commitment?

I'm saying when they are ready to decide the 1st one gets the spot. They both were originally going to hold off til later but Both have moved commit time frames up to July-August.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

HiI listened to the podcast this morning. Lots of information and insight. 

https://traffic.megaphone.fm/CBS9560489035.mp3

Thanks for sharing this. I learned that the tight end's last name is pronounced "puh GEESE", among other things. And he sounds like a hell of a prospect. 

@ellitor, you may want to move this or start a thread on him. I didn’t see a thread on him so it might be time to start one!

Could Auburn add 2nd QB in 2020 signing class?

By Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

Today 7:11 AM

Gallery: 2019 Elite 11 QB competition

Haynes King, a 4-star quarterback from Longview, Texas, originally planned to make his college decision last week.

He instead hit the delay button.

The rangy 4-star quarterback who led his team to a Texas high school title last fall needed more more time to decide between his four finalists of Auburn, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Duke.

“They were too close to make that decision,” King said at the Elite 11 quarterback competition in Frisco, Texas. “I tried to look at in that perspective where I’m making the decision what’s the best situation for me, but all of them have great situations.”

King has impressed at this week’s Elite 11, showcasing arm strength, mobility and touch in virtually every drill.

View image on Twitter

Elite11✔@Elite11

Rankings after Day 2 of #Elite11.

6:19 PM - Jun 30, 2019 · Frisco, TX

431 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Auburn currently has 11 commitments for the Class of 2020, including 3-star Florida prep star Chayil Garnett, and Tennessee has a commitment from fellow Elite 11 competitor Harrison Bailey, a 4-star prospect from Marietta, Georgia. Duke has Luca Diamont, a 3-star from Los Angeles.

Texas A&M – largely considered the favorite to land King -- doesn’t currently have a committed quarterback and three of its top four committed players are wide receivers, including 5-star Demond Demas.

Does the presence of another committed quarterback impact King’s decision?

“It doesn’t have an effect at all,” King said. “As I looked into recruiting, every year is going to have great competition. It might be the year before you, (but) it’s going to a great quarterback year. Somebody takes me and the year after me they’re going to be trying to recruit just as good, if not better, trying to find one. 

“Other than that, it’s going to be competition everywhere. It’s just how you respond to that,” he added. “Are you going to outwork the other dude? So, that deal is not going to bother me.”

King is rated the third-best dual-threat quarterback in the country and the nation’s No. 79 prospect, according to the 247Sports Compsite rankings. That places him ahead of Bailey (ranked No. 120 nationally), Diamont (ranked No. 433 nationally), and Garnett (ranked 709 nationally).

What does King like about Auburn?

“When I was hanging with the players, it kind of sent out a vide where it’s like a welcoming vibe,” he said. “Everyone is there to have fun, but when it’s time to get busy and get serious, it’s time to work. They had that vibe that everybody is here to work, but everybody is for everybody.”

King led Longview to the Texas Class 6A Division II state championship last year, completing for 183-of-273 passes for 3,677 yards and 41 touchdowns with four interceptions. He added 576 rushing yards and eight touchdowns on 71 carries and also caught a touchdown pass.

King earned the Associated Press Texas Offensive Player of the Year and the Class 6A AP Offensive Player of the Year last season, and he’s thrown for 5,771 yards and 66 touchdowns in 27 career high school starts. He’s coached by his father at Longview.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn hasn’t named a starting quarterback for the 2019 season opener against Oregon, although the Tigers exited spring practice with true freshman Bo Nix and redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood battling.

Malik Willis opted to transfer after spring practice, leaving former minor league baseball player Cord Sandberg as Auburn’s only other scholarship quarterback.

If Gatewood or Nix opted to transfer after losing out on the starting job, it might make sense for Auburn to snag two quarterbacks in this recruiting cycle. 

“It’s shown when Auburn has a good triggerman, they’re very successful,” King said.

King, who said he has no timetable for when he plans to make his college decision, also broke down what he likes from his other three finalists:

Texas A&M: “It’s Jimbo (Fisher) there. He’s proven to develop quarterbacks. Coach Dickey, he’s had a lot of experience on quarterbacks. They run a pro-style offense. I’m kind of used to that. That’s kind of what we run right now. They have great recruiting classes coming in, and they have great resources. What that Aggie Cult can do, it’s pretty special right there.”

Tennessee: “I developed great relationships with Coach (Chris) Weinke, Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt and Coach (Jim) Chaney. All three of them have pretty much been successful everywhere they’ve been. That kind of stood out to me. They’re trying to get that program back to where they were.

“They have produce a great atmosphere with all the players. That was pretty special right there.”

Duke: “They had a family deal. They call it Duke Gang for a reason. It’s a pretty fun deal there. There’s a lot of good people there. They look deep in recruiting. They’re not just recruiting the player. They’re not just recruiting Haynes King the player, they’re also recruiting Haynes King the person.”

Josh Bean✔@jbeanpoll

Talked to @OhioStateFB QB commit @jackjamesmiller, who is nursing an injury but is amazingly an Arizona kid who loves cold weather. Give it a read: https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/06/ohio-state-qb-commit-jack-miller-discusses-injury-plus-why-hes-all-in-on-the-buckeyes-and-cold-weather.html …@clevelanddotcom

10:53 AM - Jun 30, 2019

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

you may want to move this or start a thread on him

Not until he visits and Auburn make some serious push for him. No need to tag me when you’re posting articles. I read everything in the recruiting form anyway.

Auburn moves up 5 spots in recruiting team rankings

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 

Auburn football recruiting had a great June and now the Tigers are off to a strong start in July.

With the addition of 4-star receiver Ze'Vian Capers of Alpharetta (Ga.) Denmark to the commit list Monday evening, the Tigers moved up five spots to No. 19 in the 247Sports recruiting team rankings. For those keeping score at home, that's a 10-spot improvement since June 1, when Auburn had only six commitments and ranked No. 29. (Complete team rankings HERE)

Capers gives the Tigers 12 verbals, and his pledge might not be the end of the good news for Gus Malzahn's program this week.

Four-star linebacker target Wesley Steinerof Warner Robins (Ga.) Houston County plans to announce his commitment decision sometime Tuesday (we do not know the time yet for that announcement). He has a final two of Auburn and Stanford -- and right now the Tigers are trending.

Capers, a 6-feet-3.5, 195-pound standout, is the No. 25 receiver and No. 112 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite. He has a 94.76 rating.

Before his commitment to Auburn, the Tigers averaged 89.99 per commit, just below the 90.00 4-star cutoff. With Capers on board, the class now has a solid 4-star average per commit, which actually is better than four current teams sitting in the top 10 of the recruiting team rankings -- Michigan (No. 6), Florida (8), Miami (9) and Penn State (10th).

Based on Monday's point totals, Auburn would move up to No. 12 in the rankings should it land Steiner on Tuesday.

The bold part is more important to me than our team rankings!!!

I will also add recruiting for positions of greatest need.

With Steiner joining this LB class we now have one of the better LB classes Auburn has ever had. July couldn't have started out much better.

39 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Who are our top targets at DB in this upcoming class?

TIA.

See first page of 2020 recruiting OP!

11 minutes ago, toddc said:

See first page of 2020 recruiting OP!

Thanks.  Looks like we have some serious catching up to do.  That's a little surprising with Crime Dog and Porters reputations.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, toddc said:

@ellitor, you may want to move this or start a thread on him. I didn’t see a thread on him so it might be time to start one!

Could Auburn add 2nd QB in 2020 signing class?

By Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

Today 7:11 AM

Gallery: 2019 Elite 11 QB competition

Haynes King, a 4-star quarterback from Longview, Texas, originally planned to make his college decision last week.

He instead hit the delay button.

The rangy 4-star quarterback who led his team to a Texas high school title last fall needed more more time to decide between his four finalists of Auburn, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Duke.

“They were too close to make that decision,” King said at the Elite 11 quarterback competition in Frisco, Texas. “I tried to look at in that perspective where I’m making the decision what’s the best situation for me, but all of them have great situations.”

King has impressed at this week’s Elite 11, showcasing arm strength, mobility and touch in virtually every drill.

View image on Twitter

Elite11✔@Elite11

Rankings after Day 2 of #Elite11.

6:19 PM - Jun 30, 2019 · Frisco, TX

431 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Auburn currently has 11 commitments for the Class of 2020, including 3-star Florida prep star Chayil Garnett, and Tennessee has a commitment from fellow Elite 11 competitor Harrison Bailey, a 4-star prospect from Marietta, Georgia. Duke has Luca Diamont, a 3-star from Los Angeles.

Texas A&M – largely considered the favorite to land King -- doesn’t currently have a committed quarterback and three of its top four committed players are wide receivers, including 5-star Demond Demas.

Does the presence of another committed quarterback impact King’s decision?

“It doesn’t have an effect at all,” King said. “As I looked into recruiting, every year is going to have great competition. It might be the year before you, (but) it’s going to a great quarterback year. Somebody takes me and the year after me they’re going to be trying to recruit just as good, if not better, trying to find one. 

“Other than that, it’s going to be competition everywhere. It’s just how you respond to that,” he added. “Are you going to outwork the other dude? So, that deal is not going to bother me.”

King is rated the third-best dual-threat quarterback in the country and the nation’s No. 79 prospect, according to the 247Sports Compsite rankings. That places him ahead of Bailey (ranked No. 120 nationally), Diamont (ranked No. 433 nationally), and Garnett (ranked 709 nationally).

What does King like about Auburn?

“When I was hanging with the players, it kind of sent out a vide where it’s like a welcoming vibe,” he said. “Everyone is there to have fun, but when it’s time to get busy and get serious, it’s time to work. They had that vibe that everybody is here to work, but everybody is for everybody.”

King led Longview to the Texas Class 6A Division II state championship last year, completing for 183-of-273 passes for 3,677 yards and 41 touchdowns with four interceptions. He added 576 rushing yards and eight touchdowns on 71 carries and also caught a touchdown pass.

King earned the Associated Press Texas Offensive Player of the Year and the Class 6A AP Offensive Player of the Year last season, and he’s thrown for 5,771 yards and 66 touchdowns in 27 career high school starts. He’s coached by his father at Longview.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn hasn’t named a starting quarterback for the 2019 season opener against Oregon, although the Tigers exited spring practice with true freshman Bo Nix and redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood battling.

Malik Willis opted to transfer after spring practice, leaving former minor league baseball player Cord Sandberg as Auburn’s only other scholarship quarterback.

If Gatewood or Nix opted to transfer after losing out on the starting job, it might make sense for Auburn to snag two quarterbacks in this recruiting cycle. 

“It’s shown when Auburn has a good triggerman, they’re very successful,” King said.

King, who said he has no timetable for when he plans to make his college decision, also broke down what he likes from his other three finalists:

Texas A&M: “It’s Jimbo (Fisher) there. He’s proven to develop quarterbacks. Coach Dickey, he’s had a lot of experience on quarterbacks. They run a pro-style offense. I’m kind of used to that. That’s kind of what we run right now. They have great recruiting classes coming in, and they have great resources. What that Aggie Cult can do, it’s pretty special right there.”

Tennessee: “I developed great relationships with Coach (Chris) Weinke, Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt and Coach (Jim) Chaney. All three of them have pretty much been successful everywhere they’ve been. That kind of stood out to me. They’re trying to get that program back to where they were.

“They have produce a great atmosphere with all the players. That was pretty special right there.”

Duke: “They had a family deal. They call it Duke Gang for a reason. It’s a pretty fun deal there. There’s a lot of good people there. They look deep in recruiting. They’re not just recruiting the player. They’re not just recruiting Haynes King the player, they’re also recruiting Haynes King the person.”

Josh Bean✔@jbeanpoll

Talked to @OhioStateFB QB commit @jackjamesmiller, who is nursing an injury but is amazingly an Arizona kid who loves cold weather. Give it a read: https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/06/ohio-state-qb-commit-jack-miller-discusses-injury-plus-why-hes-all-in-on-the-buckeyes-and-cold-weather.html …@clevelanddotcom

10:53 AM - Jun 30, 2019

aTm just got a commit from the #4 Dual rated QB out of Denton, TX. 

That could leave us against UT and Duke  for Haynes

I sure wish we'd make room for King. He is really good and would do well in our system.

8 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

aTm just got a commit from the #4 Dual rated QB out of Denton, TX. 

That could leave us against UT and Duke  for Haynes

The number one ranked dual QB in this class is Bryce Young and he is committed to USC. Texas A&M is highly likely to pull King right now.

The kid you are thinking about is Eli Stowers. He’s in the 2021 class which is a different class and will not affect King.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I sure wish we'd make room for King. He is really good and would do well in our system.

Room is not an issue. We are just getting beat straight up for him by Tennessee and Texas A&M. If we miss on King we still may take a second QB in the class.

8 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Thanks.  Looks like we have some serious catching up to do.  That's a little surprising with Crime Dog and Porters reputations.

@dyehardfanAU, has been posted many times this is a relatively weak DB class so Crime Dog & Porter have their work cut out for them. I am adding a name to the DB list later today FWIW. A 4* CB AU is in the top 2 with Tennessee for

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Room is not an issue. We are just getting beat straight up for him by Tennessee and Texas A&M. If we miss on King we still may take a second QB in the class.

I guess I misspoke. I wish we'd push harder.

50 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I guess I misspoke. I wish we'd push harder.

If we weren't pushing as hard as possible then a mistake was made.

Good news folks! We are now allowed to summarize VIP content. With that being said, here are some notes from The Opening...

-4* CB Kendall Dennis is high on AU
-AU & Vols stand out
-could commit this summer
-AU needs at least 2 CBs this class
-Chance to play early at AU is a major point
-could visit AU &/or Vols the last week of July
-also plans to OV AU in November
-teammates with QB commit Chayil Garnett

-Top Buck target Phillip Webb is talking up LSU & AU the most  at The Opening per an AU commit at the event
-LSU is likely the biggest threat to AU & may lead
-some at AU think AU is where he wants to be

-AU in top 3 for 4* S Chris Thompson but Texas is the heavy favorite

-Of the QBs at The Opening, AU commit Ze'Vian Capers has been most impressed with UNC commit Jacolby Criswell
-Should AU miss on Haynes King as expected Criswell expects AU to offer & push for him

11 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Further to E's comments, those guys are also heavily responsible for commits and priority prospects at other positions. Porter, at least. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Further to E's comments, those guys are also heavily responsible for commits and priority prospects at other positions. Porter, at least. 

Yup. I will add primary & secondary recruiters for all our commits sometime this Summer. Interesting to note the primary role has been spread quite a bit amongst the staff this cycle.

More so then most years this has been a roller coaster year. We started out gangbusters talk of one of our best classes ever then we stop and get a couple of de-commits plus others Clemson, Bama, Ga, LSU took off. Much crying in the Land of Orange and Blue. June hits  and it is like a stick of dynamite was exploded what a month for Auburn. We follow it up with two great commits in first two days of July.  It is obvious our coaches are working overtime.  I don't know what the rest of the recruiting cycle will be but strap in tight as the Roller Coaster ride is going full steam.

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

More so then most years this has been a roller coaster year. We started out gangbusters talk of one of our best classes ever then we stop and get a couple of de-commits plus others Clemson, Bama, Ga, LSU took off. Much crying in the Land of Orange and Blue. June hits  and it is like a stick of dynamite was exploded what a month for Auburn. We follow it up with two great commits in first two days of July.  It is obvious our coaches are working overtime.  I don't know what the rest of the recruiting cycle will be but strap in tight as the Roller Coaster ride is going full steam.

And people complain about their salaries. It's a non-stop job.

Do we have any chance with Issiah Walker the big OT from the Miami area? 

he just de-committed from SCe

Archived