LSU postgame thread (merged threads)

TAYLORKEETON

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Omg yall are way overboard. How is this Gus fault? Im not the guys biggest fan but this came down to execution. We were passing to open up the run then the passing went away. You can point to route trees or whatever but stidham wasnt getting the same amount of time in the 2H. Gus made one call this game that was bad- it wasnt to go for it- it was to go for it with a pulling guard. A play like that early in a game shpuldnt doom you. The Safeties took AWFUL angles on the td catch. Tega got blown up a few times, kim got blown up a few times. But honestly i thought overall the oline performed better than i thpught they would. Most of yall are pissed bc yall thought lsu was gonna be easy. Its LSU. Theyve got exceptional talent at nearly every position. 

We crapped our pants early on but then bam! Got the lead when we needed to. Execution stopped. Yall need to get over yourselves with gus is mediocre bs- idk how great he is but ill give the dude credit that this aint on him. 

And the refs sucked eggs

Oh yea the refs lost it for us. Sound like a bammer!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I just think this team doesn’t have the identity to be run first. Felt this way at the beginning of the season. I also think it’s  bad when JS has to think too much. Wish we could watch some Baylor film and take some principles from them. He excels with quick hittersand pace passing the ball.

Yep! He was on the money with quick passes. I agree. We have to take what the defense gives us. We don't have to be the raid offense but it's clear that as of now our OL is not where we're going to dominate with a ton of run yards. Quick throws...4 and 5 WR sets to get the ball out quick to our WRs. I actually think that would be best b/c we have so many WRs that are athletic. Just doubt we'll ever see that kind of change. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Yep! He was on the money with quick passes. I agree. We have to take what the defense gives us. We don't have to be the raid offense but it's clear that as of now our OL is not where we're going to dominate with a ton of run yards. Quick throws...4 and 5 WR sets to get the ball out quick to our WRs. I actually think that would be best b/c we have so many WRs that are athletic. Just doubt we'll ever see that kind of change. 

Gus’ strength used to be matching his offense to the QB. Use him like Chris Todd and break records.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Gus’ strength used to be matching his offense to the QB. Use him like Chris Todd and break records.

Agree. He made Chris Todd look amazing. We just have not seen that same Gus since he's been a head coach. 

8 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. He made Chris Todd look amazing. We just have not seen that same Gus since he's been a head coach. 

Well we saw it in 2013/2014.   He did a great job of tailoring the O to Marshall.  But since Nick left, I 100% agree.

21 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Oh yea the refs lost it for us. Sound like a bammer!

I graduated from auburn in 2013, my grandfather graduated from API in ‘57. We used to tailgate under a pecan tree across from the football complex every saturday. But sure im a bammer

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well we saw it in 2013/2014.   He did a great job of tailoring the O to Marshall.  But since Nick left, I 100% agree.

If I’m Gus... look at the Patriots... duplicate it... enjoy

Just might have to get the ball out quicker because we don’t have a stout OL

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

If I’m Gus... look at the Patriots... duplicate it... enjoy

Just might have to get the ball out quicker because we don’t have a stout OL

I would love to run that style.  Our personnel is perfect for it.

6 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

I graduated from auburn in 2013, my grandfather graduated from API in ‘57. We used to tailgate under a pecan tree across from the football complex every saturday. But sure im a bammer

Do you have someone else in the family graduating this year?  ?

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Do you have someone else in the family graduating this year?  ?

Ha no, but my brother may/may not be going there next year. Its definately bc of us though

New poster...I've been a lurker for a few years. 

I registered because I wanted to give my thoughts on today's game.

Unlike some of our recent losses, we had a good game plan for today. Was it perfect? No. We likely needed some defensive adjustments to get more pressure and to prevent our CBs from being isolated in man-to-man. We made defensive adjustments like that vs Washington, but Steele went in a different direction today. 

On the offensive side of the ball, I thought the play-calling was good. Did we need to mix some different plays in and take better advantage of some of our skill players? Sure. But the game plan was effective and more than sufficient to win. 

We lost today because of execution. Stidham's first interception was a really poor decision. It was absolutely unnecessary. On 2nd & 8, there's no need to make such a tight throw to the sideline. The DB made a good play as well, but ultimately it was a very bad decision by a veteran player that should know better. 

On the early 4th & 1 we missed in the 1st Quarter, the play call was fine. In fact, we'd have gotten the 1st if Driscoll didn't whiff when blocking the LB. 

At the beginning of the 2nd Quarter, we had 2nd & 4 at the LSU 48. We lost 6 yards on Schwartz's end around because Horton missed a key block. On the very next play, Stidham was sacked for an 8 yard loss because Tega got beat badly. 

There are many more examples of the offensive line missing key blocks, or whiffing on blocks that led to negative plays or an incomplete pass due to pressure. 

Stidham's 2nd interception was another very poor decision, and yet again it was an unnecessary risk. Thankfully, we didn't gift LSU 7 points by starting inside our own 35, but we missed an opportunity to pin LSU deep if he threw it away and we punted. Or, even a 4-5 yard scramble gives us a chance at a 55-56 yard FG if Gus wanted to risk it. 

On the defensive side, several of the interference calls were definitely weak when contrasted against the no-calls on Greedy Williams. That said, the CBs were being exploited the same way Washington did, but this time we were not able to adjust by getting more pressure by sending a LB, or playing a bit of zone so that the CBs would have safety help. 

There were strategic mistakes by the coaches to be sure. Steele didn't make the adjustments I just mentioned. Gus should've taken the points early on, but I, confess to having wanted him to go for it. Again, the play call was fine. The execution failed due to Driscoll whiffing on the LB that blew up the play in the backfield. 

But, the main reason we lost was poor execution by our team. Ultimately, both the players and coaches share responsibility for poor execution. The ultimate blame goes on Gus because he's the head coach, has to get his team ready, has to make adjustments, etc. 

One tiny thing I noticed, that may have had a big impact, was related to penalties. Other than Slayton complaining when Greedy Williams interfered with him, our players didn't lobby the refs for penalties or spots. Gus has trained the players to hand the ball to the ref and keep their mouth shut. There was a facemask on Shivers in the 2nd half after a 2-3 yard game and he didn't complain or make the facemask symbol. Contrast that with LSU. Their receivers lobbied the refs on every tight coverage play. Burrow also lobbied the ref the VERY PLAY before one of the PIs on the last drive. It clearly had an effect. Working the refs absolutely has an effect - - we see it in the NFL and College nearly every game. 

I've been a major critic of Gus in the past. I'm decidedly NOT on the Gus bus. But, this was the rare game in which I believe Gus doesn't have the lion's share of the blame. He's still RESPONSIBLE as HC, but the majority of the blame doesn't fall on him. This wasn't run the ball up the middle on 22 straight 1st/2nd down Gus. This wasn't "what's a short or intermediate pass" Gus. This wasn't "we're going to run the ball no matter what" Gus. The gameplan was good. The execution was mediocre - - particularly the offensive line and Stidham's protection of the football. And, for the first time in awhile, the defense really let us down. The 71 yard pass TD was absurd. It was thrown into quadruple coverage. Multiple guys went for the INT, there was no communication, and one of the DBs gave up on pursuit as he evidently thought the other DB was going to be able to make the tackle. That pissed me off. That's not how Auburn plays. We don't give up on plays. 

I'm not here to defend Gus, but I actually don't think today's loss in an indictment of him as a coach. He's actually shown an improvement at making adjustments, play-calling is better, and he's been less married to particular players out of stubbornness. 

We're stuck with Gus for at least two more years. We shouldn't have lost today nor vs LSU last year. But, I'll take the way we lost this year ANY DAY over the cluelessness or stubbornness of last year's Clemson & LSU games. 

Unless you were really drinking the Kool-Aid, you knew we were going to lose sometime this year. I'd rather it happen early than late. Gus is still the man ultimately responsible for any loss -- including today's -- but this was a very different kind of loss than we've had under Gus. If everyone wants to meltdown and say 8-5 or 9-4 that's fine. But, we don't play another good team until TAMU. MSU isn't that good, ARKY is a joke, Tennessee is a few years away from competing with us, and Ole Miss can't hang with any team that has a defense. 

Gus needs to do exactly what he did last year. Beat Georgia and beat Alabama. I don't believe Georgia is as good as last year, but Alabama might have the best team they've ever had. Gus is paid 7 million dollars a year for a reason. He has to get it done. No one likes to lose, but today was less an indictment of Gus than poor execution and effort by our team. He's still responsible for that, but remedying that is a much easier fix than 96 total yards in a game or 11 sacks. 

Remember, Nick Saban has rarely gone undefeated. Gus does have the ability to put us into position with Alabama and Georgia this year. Can he do it? We'll see. But today's game is absolutely not a reason to jump off the cliff. Clemson and LSU last year were much more disappointing and unexplainable losses than today.

Finally, I give LSU credit. They were more physical on both sides of the football when it counted the most. They are a talented team. Not as talented as Auburn, and we should've won, but the key will be how Gus and the team responds. I don't think Gus will take us to the promised land this year or next, but he IS capable of it. Today shows he has LEARNED whether we want to admit it or not. The question is: Can Gus keep learning and will that be enough to take us to the next level?

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Please go back to coaching your kids pee wee team. I beg.

sure thing chief...

though i bet my pee wee team would’ve hung 27 or 28 on coach o and the the corndogs.  

get your head out of the sand... that’s not a good team.

Right the ship next week by beating Arkansas by 70. Take all of your anger into next weekends game and build off it. Time to put this in the rear view 

Side note: Stidham is not NFL ready much less a “top 10 pick”. Like the young man a lot but he’s just not there.

His deep balls have been terrible and two of them today would have been TDs on drives we ended up coming out empty. Not great under pressure both literal and mental (tough games).

I can’t emphasize enough how I believe he should stay. Thought the same thing about Sensei Mudd and a slew of other players who fizzled quick in the pros with little chances (seems like we have had a lot of receivers and even a running back or two go a year too soon).

Why is no one talking about the 4th & 7 we allowed LSU to convert on the final drive?  Ahhhh!  The more I think about the missed opportunities to put this game away, the angrier I get.

4 hours ago, Tigercj said:

Gus always screws up the big games this will not stop until he is gone. Our secondary is horrible and this defense is average and our offense is so so

I'm not sure you know the definition of "always".

22 minutes ago, SouthPaw83 said:

New poster...I've been a lurker for a few years. 

I registered because I wanted to give my thoughts on today's game.

Unlike some of our recent losses, we had a good game plan for today. Was it perfect? No. We likely needed some defensive adjustments to get more pressure and to prevent our CBs from being isolated in man-to-man. We made defensive adjustments like that vs Washington, but Steele went in a different direction today. 

On the offensive side of the ball, I thought the play-calling was good. Did we need to mix some different plays in and take better advantage of some of our skill players? Sure. But the game plan was effective and more than sufficient to win. 

We lost today because of execution. Stidham's first interception was a really poor decision. It was absolutely unnecessary. On 2nd & 8, there's no need to make such a tight throw to the sideline. The DB made a good play as well, but ultimately it was a very bad decision by a veteran player that should know better. 

On the early 4th & 1 we missed in the 1st Quarter, the play call was fine. In fact, we'd have gotten the 1st if Driscoll didn't whiff when blocking the LB. 

At the beginning of the 2nd Quarter, we had 2nd & 4 at the LSU 48. We lost 6 yards on Schwartz's end around because Horton missed a key block. On the very next play, Stidham was sacked for an 8 yard loss because Tega got beat badly. 

There are many more examples of the offensive line missing key blocks, or whiffing on blocks that led to negative plays or an incomplete pass due to pressure. 

Stidham's 2nd interception was another very poor decision, and yet again it was an unnecessary risk. Thankfully, we didn't gift LSU 7 points by starting inside our own 35, but we missed an opportunity to pin LSU deep if he threw it away and we punted. Or, even a 4-5 yard scramble gives us a chance at a 55-56 yard FG if Gus wanted to risk it. 

On the defensive side, several of the interference calls were definitely weak when contrasted against the no-calls on Greedy Williams. That said, the CBs were being exploited the same way Washington did, but this time we were not able to adjust by getting more pressure by sending a LB, or playing a bit of zone so that the CBs would have safety help. 

There were strategic mistakes by the coaches to be sure. Steele didn't make the adjustments I just mentioned. Gus should've taken the points early on, but I, confess to having wanted him to go for it. Again, the play call was fine. The execution failed due to Driscoll whiffing on the LB that blew up the play in the backfield. 

But, the main reason we lost was poor execution by our team. Ultimately, both the players and coaches share responsibility for poor execution. The ultimate blame goes on Gus because he's the head coach, has to get his team ready, has to make adjustments, etc. 

One tiny thing I noticed, that may have had a big impact, was related to penalties. Other than Slayton complaining when Greedy Williams interfered with him, our players didn't lobby the refs for penalties or spots. Gus has trained the players to hand the ball to the ref and keep their mouth shut. There was a facemask on Shivers in the 2nd half after a 2-3 yard game and he didn't complain or make the facemask symbol. Contrast that with LSU. Their receivers lobbied the refs on every tight coverage play. Burrow also lobbied the ref the VERY PLAY before one of the PIs on the last drive. It clearly had an effect. Working the refs absolutely has an effect - - we see it in the NFL and College nearly every game. 

I've been a major critic of Gus in the past. I'm decidedly NOT on the Gus bus. But, this was the rare game in which I believe Gus doesn't have the lion's share of the blame. He's still RESPONSIBLE as HC, but the majority of the blame doesn't fall on him. This wasn't run the ball up the middle on 22 straight 1st/2nd down Gus. This wasn't "what's a short or intermediate pass" Gus. This wasn't "we're going to run the ball no matter what" Gus. The gameplan was good. The execution was mediocre - - particularly the offensive line and Stidham's protection of the football. And, for the first time in awhile, the defense really let us down. The 71 yard pass TD was absurd. It was thrown into quadruple coverage. Multiple guys went for the INT, there was no communication, and one of the DBs gave up on pursuit as he evidently thought the other DB was going to be able to make the tackle. That pissed me off. That's not how Auburn plays. We don't give up on plays. 

I'm not here to defend Gus, but I actually don't think today's loss in an indictment of him as a coach. He's actually shown an improvement at making adjustments, play-calling is better, and he's been less married to particular players out of stubbornness. 

We're stuck with Gus for at least two more years. We shouldn't have lost today nor vs LSU last year. But, I'll take the way we lost this year ANY DAY over the cluelessness or stubbornness of last year's Clemson & LSU games. 

Unless you were really drinking the Kool-Aid, you knew we were going to lose sometime this year. I'd rather it happen early than late. Gus is still the man ultimately responsible for any loss -- including today's -- but this was a very different kind of loss than we've had under Gus. If everyone wants to meltdown and say 8-5 or 9-4 that's fine. But, we don't play another good team until TAMU. MSU isn't that good, ARKY is a joke, Tennessee is a few years away from competing with us, and Ole Miss can't hang with any team that has a defense. 

Gus needs to do exactly what he did last year. Beat Georgia and beat Alabama. I don't believe Georgia is as good as last year, but Alabama might have the best team they've ever had. Gus is paid 7 million dollars a year for a reason. He has to get it done. No one likes to lose, but today was less an indictment of Gus than poor execution and effort by our team. He's still responsible for that, but remedying that is a much easier fix than 96 total yards in a game or 11 sacks. 

Remember, Nick Saban has rarely gone undefeated. Gus does have the ability to put us into position with Alabama and Georgia this year. Can he do it? We'll see. But today's game is absolutely not a reason to jump off the cliff. Clemson and LSU last year were much more disappointing and unexplainable losses than today.

Finally, I give LSU credit. They were more physical on both sides of the football when it counted the most. They are a talented team. Not as talented as Auburn, and we should've won, but the key will be how Gus and the team responds. I don't think Gus will take us to the promised land this year or next, but he IS capable of it. Today shows he has LEARNED whether we want to admit it or not. The question is: Can Gus keep learning and will that be enough to take us to the next level?

Great post. Agree almost 100%. I also rarely post but actively view the forums on this site and another multiple times a week. Some of the comments on that other site were such an overreaction that I ended up posting more today than I had in probably 4-5 years. I understand -- it's a rivalry game and we have a not-so-great record against our rivals under Gus, but today was in no way solely his fault. As you said, he is ultimately responsible, but the overall game plan and playcalling was plenty enough to win if we would have properly executed. 

The number of people jumping off a cliff is unbelievable...I'm pretty sure half of the people losing their minds over the first quarter fourth down attempt were probably calling for it themselves at the time. Remember the last few years of hesitant Gus? Half of the time we hesitated to the point of having to call timeout in these situations. I'm fine with the aggressiveness and think it'll help us more than it'll hurt in the long run.

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why is no one talking about the 4th & 7 we allowed LSU to convert on the final drive?  Ahhhh!  The more I think about the missed opportunities to put this game away, the angrier I get.

That sucked, but the Refs had their hands on the yellow flag just in case they didn't convert. No matter what LSU was going to be giving a chance to win that game. It's a shame, they should keep that stuff in the NFL where it belongs.

3 minutes ago, clwn said:

That sucked, but the Refs had their hands on the yellow flag just in case they didn't convert. No matter what LSU was going to be giving a chance to win that game. It's a shame, they should keep that stuff in the NFL where it belongs.

So glad you know for certain that a flag would have been thrown either way. 

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus is what he is. He is a middle of the pack SEC coach with a top of the line salary. 

The grimes hire is just robbing AU of money. It was criminal

Does Gus part with Grimes at season end?

4 minutes ago, autigers1101 said:

Great post. Agree almost 100%. I also rarely post but actively view the forums on this site and another multiple times a week. Some of the comments on that other site were such an overreaction that I ended up posting more today than I had in probably 4-5 years. I understand -- it's a rivalry game and we have a not-so-great record against our rivals under Gus, but today was in no way solely his fault. As you said, he is ultimately responsible, but the overall game plan and playcalling was plenty enough to win if we would have properly executed. 

The number of people jumping off a cliff is unbelievable...I'm pretty sure half of the people losing their minds over the first quarter fourth down attempt were probably calling for it themselves at the time. Remember the last few years of hesitant Gus? Half of the time we hesitated to the point of having to call timeout in these situations. I'm fine with the aggressiveness and think it'll help us more than it'll hurt in the long run.

I agree as well. People tend to think AU should just come out and dominate every aspect of the game. Coach’s will always have a perfect game plan and it will always be better than the other teams plan. When everything does not work its time freak out. This is not a video game and It is getting increasingly difficult for a coach to overmatch the other teams in the SEC. Put Gus and this team in the PAC 12 and he is one of the best coachs and a lock for the playoffs. I am going to support AU win loose or draw. War Eagle!

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So glad you know for certain that a flag would have been thrown either way. 

I watched the game. Of course it would have been.

Fun read:

http://thefixisin.net/theproof.html

I imagine you'll be one of those thinking it's impossible for games to be fixed. All it takes is a few calls and no calls at certain points of a game. Shame it's leaking into College now.

Archived