Not liking this new 4 game rule

steeleagle

I love it, takes a little power from coaches who try to act as if they are a god. Also it's going to make the coaches be held accountable for things they promise and say when they recruit

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

They do play JH and NM all the time for their blocking. I think it’s JS looking down certain receivers and not giving those guys a chance.

Hammer meet nail...  and some to do with offensive philosophy.  Plus either not coaching up Stidham or Stidham failing to take the coaching.   There are many layers to an onion.

we heard all summer Jarrett was working with the staff and outside coaches on improving pocket presence.  It looks worse.  So is it coaching or the player?  Us fans can’t and wouldn’t really know that.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I just want to know if there are players leaving other schools that might be worth our time to entice them here.  

Like an O lineman, unless you are from UT-Austin 

If the rule would have been in effect would OJ Howard have left Bama?  Their fans say he was uber talented and underutilized.  And he made it to the NFL.  

The NFL uses him now.  Shame on Saban for not using his talent better.  

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Hammer meet nail...  and some to do with offensive philosophy.  Plus either not coaching up Stidham or Stidham failing to take the coaching.   There are many layers to an onion.

we heard all summer Jarrett was working with the staff and outside coaches on improving pocket presence.  It looks worse.  So is it coaching or the player?  Us fans can’t and wouldn’t really know that.

Lots of folks on here automatically assume it is the coach.....but I am more of the philosophy that stuff like that is generally on the players.   Now if we had guys leaving AU from non-starting roles and all of a sudden becoming starters and impact players at other Power 5 schools I would be worried..  Face it.....not all 4* or 5* HS players are really cut out for the SEC....no matter how much time to coaches devote to them and I can't recall any player other than Roc who left and has made even a ripple elsewhere. .

Just thinking of the classes I took in college.....the instructor usually did his or her job to present the subject and it was up to the students to do the work.  Some made A's and some flunked the course despite having access to the same information so I'm inclined to put the burden on the student. 

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If the rule would have been in effect would OJ Howard have left Bama?  Their fans say he was uber talented and underutilized.  And he made it to the NFL.  

Seeing him as a freshman scared me to death of what I thought he would become at Bama. Thank goodness for us they didn't.  The Clemson game for him was a picture of what he could have been every game.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I like the rule however if the big dogs like AU lose more then they gain from it the rule will be removed just how the haves do it in the real world

There should be a stipulation that if you lose a player via red-shirt rule the team can bring in a grad transfer and it not count towards the 25 hard limit.  That way teams can remain balanced. If not, you'll rarely, if ever, keep a full roster if you have many transfers

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There should be a stipulation that if you lose a player via red-shirt rule the team can bring in a grad transfer and it not count towards the 25 hard limit.  That way teams can remain balanced. If not, you'll rarely, if ever, keep a full roster if you have many transfers

I like that

29 minutes ago, corchjay said:

OJ made plays all over the place while at bama.

Fr:   14 rec  269yds 19.22 avg

So:  17 rec  260yds  15.3 avg

Jr:  38 rec  602yds. 15.8 avg  2 TD

Sr:. 45 rec  595 yds 13.2 avg  3 TD

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I continue to be an advocate for athletes being held to the same standard as regular students. If a regular student is unhappy at a school, he or she goes elsewhere. NCM and JH are doing the same. I wish them all the luck in the world. Also, I bet a lot of teammates  and fans of Casey Dunn and Jack Driscoll were upset when they left their respective schools, but we welcomed them with open arms. It’s a two way street now. 

You do realize that could potentially have a severe impact on the admission of athletes to Auburn University. Mean what is Auburn looking at now, like 29ACT's, 1300 SAT's, 3.8 GPA's and those under that are given consideration cause they took Honors, AP and IB classes in things like Physics and Chemistry

While I'm too lazy to do in depth searching for recent. I do have numbers for 2011. Auburn in 2011 spent $13,979 dollars on a academic student. They spent $212,021 dollars on an athlete.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/alabama_universities_spend_mon.html

I just want what’s best for the kids. From high school sports to college it seems like that concept gets lost. These kids using it to transfer are just looking to put themselves in a better position.

We live with their decisions and performance for four years. They live with it for the rest of their lives.

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

You do realize that could potentially have a severe impact on the admission of athletes to Auburn University. Mean what is Auburn looking at now, like 29ACT's, 1300 SAT's, 3.8 GPA's and those under that are given consideration cause they took Honors, AP and IB classes in things like Physics and Chemistry

While I'm too lazy to do in depth searching for recent. I do have numbers for 2011. Auburn in 2011 spent $13,979 dollars on a academic student. They spent $212,021 dollars on an athlete.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/alabama_universities_spend_mon.html

With two sons in major universities, I’m very familiar with admissions standards.  If major college athletes were held to the same admissions standards as regular students, all Power 5 programs would suffer, not justAuburn. That’s a separate discussion. Regarding this issue, let me ask you a question. What if today we had not learned the Myers brothers were leaving AU? What if instead, we learned that WRs Metcalf and Brown left Ole Miss and announced they were transferring to AU. Would we have a problem with that? Coaches and fans squawk at these rules when it hurts our plans, but we jump at the chance to leverage them for our advantage. It’s been that way for years and now the athletes are getting more empowered to flex their decision making for their best interests. I happen to think that’s a good thing. I’m fine with those who see it differently. 

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

With two sons in major universities, I’m very familiar with admissions standards.  If major college athletes were held to the same admissions standards as regular students, all Power 5 programs would suffer, not justAuburn. That’s a separate discussion. Regarding this issue, let me ask you a question. What if today we had not learned the Myers brothers were leaving AU? What if instead, we learned that WRs Metcalf and Brown left Ole Miss and announced they were transferring to AU. Would we have a problem with that? Coaches and fans squawk at these rules when it hurts our plans, but we jump at the chance to leverage them for our advantage. It’s been that way for years and now the athletes are getting more empowered to flex their decision making for their best interests. I happen to think that’s a good thing. I’m fine with those who see it differently. 

This all I care about and was addressing when you said that student athletes should be held to the same standards as normal students. You are absolutely correct all power 5 programs would suffer.

Truthfully, from the fans perspective, if Metcalf and Brown were leaving to come to Auburn I don't think people would care about Myers brothers leaving. So I would agree with you.

I'm fine with people seeing things differently. Just for me when its said treated like normal students then that includes things like admission. Or, when people start talking business and the players protecting themselves, then for me with the amount of money that AU spends on these athletes, that includes Auburn protecting itself also.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

I agree it’s one or the other but it just cost us two really good players. 

48 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Doesn’t matter which university they are leaving, when you lose two very productive players you have to wonder why. If they had be like JR or MD with their counterproductive attitudes then I can understand that but this was not the case. The case is we have a QB that is not going thru his checkdowns past his primary receiver. This will only spread . Maybe he starts throwing to Schwartz all the time and Ryan might leave. Maybe some of the other freshman might leave. This will snowball real quick.

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I knew someone would blow it back at me. lol.

No, I am glad for players who are unhappy to have another way to save their eligibility. I just have a problem with it disrupting a team who is in the middle of their season and use players like NCM to contribute. Granted it wasn't to his liking and he is leaving, but it still creates a problem for coaches. Just saying...

Yep and the coaches need to fix it by working with these good players and being fair to them. I understand if they weren’t good enough but these guys are starters. We need their blocking. Find a way to at least target them once in a while . If JS can’t do it , bench him. Then he will learn to do it.   I get ill when fans don’t watch the whole game and realize it’s usually the unsung hero’s like linemen, FBs and TEs that make the blocks that allow the WRs, RBs and QBs score the touchdown. They get all the glory and no one notices the guys in the trenches. Maybe they ought to just let a few blitzes thru untouched. Then help JS up off his butt and see if he thinks their important the next play.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I love it, takes a little power from coaches who try to act as if they are a god. Also it's going to make the coaches be held accountable for things they promise and say when they recruit

I like that it does this. But athletes still need to know coaches are going to try and replace them with the next recruiting class and that #2 on the chart has his eye on your postilion.

18 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yep and the coaches need to fix it by working with these good players and being fair to them. I understand if they weren’t good enough but these guys are starters. We need their blocking. Find a way to at least target them once in a while . If JS can’t do it , bench him. Then he will learn to do it.   I get ill when fans don’t watch the whole game and realize it’s usually the unsung hero’s like linemen, FBs and TEs that make the blocks that allow the WRs, RBs and QBs score the touchdown. They get all the glory and no one notices the guys in the trenches. Maybe they ought to just let a few blitzes thru untouched. Then help JS up off his butt and see if he thinks their important the next play.

Interesting that you said that. Cause I remember Daniels during the LSU game pointing out that when protection broke down that no receiver went deep to help Stidham. Then when he did talk about receivers that Stidham missed the ones in question were not the open receivers he mentioned.

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

Interesting that you said that. Cause I remember Daniels during the LSU game pointing out that when protection broke down that no receiver went deep to help Stidham. Then when he did talk about receivers that Stidham missed the ones in question were not the open receivers he mentioned.

Go back in that game and you can see at least twice in just the LSU game where J H was open and JS didn’t look at him and throwed it in a bad spot. 

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Go back in that game and you can see at least twice in just the LSU game where J H was open and JS didn’t look at him and throwed it in a bad spot. 

So blame to go all around. No issue with that and what I believe the case to be. It is a team game with a ton of moving parts. I'm pretty sure Stidham believes that all his players are important.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I actually felt my jaw drop seeing a TE get 45 receptions in a season. Thats EXPONENTIALLY more than the targets the position has gotten since C.J left, much less the actual catches. Why does Saban take advantage of his talent so much smh

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Some of these dudes just be talking. Lol.

8 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Or, when people start talking business and the players protecting themselves, then for me with the amount of money that AU spends on these athletes, that includes Auburn protecting itself also.

Colleges do protect themselves, by making millions and millions of dollars off of those athletes they invest in. That’s how they pay football coaches 7-10 million dollars a year. You and I seem to disagree about this particular rule, but one thing I think we would agree on is that CFB is headed in a bad direction. It has shifted from a really fun form of entertainment and source of pride, to a corporate enterprise with billions of dollars at stake. For me, I wish I could revert it all back about 20 years ago when it was a more pure product than today. WDE!

It sticks from the instability it provides.

It does provide clarity to the powers to be though that this is a big business and these guys are not coming in for and education (some may be) but to get to the league.   

Archived