Not liking this new 4 game rule

steeleagle

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

If the rule would have been in effect would OJ Howard have left Bama?  Their fans say he was uber talented and underutilized.  And he made it to the NFL.  

The NFL uses him now.  Shame on Saban for not using his talent better.  

mis-remembering at its best.  swing and a miss

CJ Uzomah might be a better TE example, but might not fit your narrative.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see if the SEC conference gets enough flak from coaches to have some sort of change or addendum to the yearly 25 max signees.  

So far BS, JB, IS, JH, NCM and JM have either left, or will redshirt/grad transfer. 6 scholarships players, I believe.

Now exclude grad transfers, because that is a players right they have earned after graduating and there will always be attrition in programs it is just the nature of the beast.

Vacated scholarships can be awarded to those walk-ons to fill the 85 max set by the NCAA but that generally or most of the time is given to a senior, so it is a one year deal.  

The question comes; as players decide to shut it down for the year and transfer out using the redshirt rule.  

If a school looses a number of scholarship players that can not be backfilled the next year due to the 25 max signee limit and the fact Grad Transfers count towards those numbers, a void of depth could develop. Now that void could happen in one or over a 2-3 year period, if a consistent # of players use the redshirt rule as a means to transfer out of programs. No coach wants to just consistently backfill that 85 man void with an abundance of walkons, I would think.   

I think tell tale sign is what happens at other schools within the SEC, to see if this isolated to one school or multiple schools. 

This rule is good in theory; negative consequences are being brought out of tbe application though. I’m all for taking some power away from the coaches, but we are probably not even done with the mid-season attrition, and the attrition could affect our program as a whole. 

Just thinking out loud, in 2012 if this rule was in place, how many players would leave? Would 2013 even be possible? 

@Mikey, what are our attrition numbers this year? I know we are at  5 since start of fall camp. 

From GUS on newly available scholarships:

“They'll continue throughout this semester on scholarship. Wishes he could give them to walk-ons, but if a player starts semester on scholarship, they cannot be handed over if that player transfers” - per Arkansas Tiger Talk 

Just now, auburnphan said:

Great rule.  As soon as we get a couple of transfers our way everyone will be all excited

Yep...

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Great rule.  As soon as we get a couple of transfers our way everyone will be all excited

lol

”a couple”

17 hours ago, corchjay said:

If the rule would have been in effect would OJ Howard have left Bama?  Their fans say he was uber talented and underutilized.  And he made it to the NFL.  

The NFL uses him now.  Shame on Saban for not using his talent better.  

:dead:

Dang corch, you sure you want to try to make a case of Saban not using his talent with OJ Howard as the example?

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

There should be a stipulation that if you lose a player via red-shirt rule the team can bring in a grad transfer and it not count towards the 25 hard limit.  That way teams can remain balanced. If not, you'll rarely, if ever, keep a full roster if you have many transfers

I like the 4 game rule because it gives players more power.  I'd like for the team to have some ability to offset the losses.  This sounds like a reasonable way to do so.

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

“They'll continue throughout this semester on scholarship. Wishes he could give them to walk-ons, but if a player starts semester on scholarship, they cannot be handed over if that player transfers” - per Arkansas Tiger Talk 

Yep - Scholarship $$ was applied to the first semester tuition over a month ago.  

I see where you are coming from, OP. It sucks about NCM. It sucks a lot. However, this can also help us with getting quality transfers in the future. Keep in mind that all teams are in this boat together.

WDE

1 hour ago, keesler said:

:dead:

Dang corch, you sure you want to try to make a case of Saban not using his talent with OJ Howard as the example?

No trying to make a case against fan perspective 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

@Mikey, what are our attrition numbers this year? I know we are at  5 since start of fall camp. 

Five since August 1st. I don't count the punter Marshall in this, since he wasn't on scholarship.

Tyler Carr, John Broussard, Jalen Harris, Nate Craig-Myers and Javaughn Myers. Not an unusual number at all. The only difference is that, whereas in the past some dropped out during pre-season camp, this time four waited until after the season started. There's no doubt that the new rule affected the timing, if not the numbers.

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So far BS, JB, IS, JH, NCM and JM have either left, or will redshirt/grad transfer. 6 scholarships players, I believe.

Who are scholarship players BS and IS?  I try to keep a good list, so help please!

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Colleges do protect themselves, by making millions and millions of dollars off of those athletes they invest in. That’s how they pay football coaches 7-10 million dollars a year. You and I seem to disagree about this particular rule, but one thing I think we would agree on is that CFB is headed in a bad direction. It has shifted from a really fun form of entertainment and source of pride, to a corporate enterprise with billions of dollars at stake. For me, I wish I could revert it all back about 20 years ago when it was a more pure product than today. WDE!

I can locate plenty of organizations making millions with heads making 7 figures that are falling flat and in risk of bankruptcy, acquisition, etc.

I disagreed about student athletes and regular students being the same.

I actually like parts of the rule. I like that a player is not locked into a coach, I like that they can leave if the school changes coaches, I like that Freshmen get a chance to showcase what they can do, I like that players now wont waste a red shirt on one game late in the season because of an injury to someone that hurts depth.

What I don't like is the inconsistencies on the thoughts and use of the rules. These kids left 4 games into a season for better opportunities and applauded for it. Terry Bowden left in the season cause of our jacked up administration and has been hated and labeled a quitter from that day. People use the excuse that coaches can leave when they want so why shouldn't players. Well coaches also have buy outs or owe universities money when they leave of their own accord.

I have zero issue with them leaving and I hope they do well. My complaints would be this, you should of done it before the season started. Like Gus said that someone showed above. Those kids now get a free ride for the rest of the semester for doing nothing when players committed to Auburn for the remainder of the season could of used those scholarships.

I 100% agree with you about the college game going in a bad direction.

8 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Love to see this rule changed if the player voluntarily removes himself from the team. Either transfer prior to the season, burn your red-shirt to keep your scholly, pay for the semester on your own, or stick it out and work scout team till the end of the season then move on.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I hope they made the best choice for themselves by staying. 

Funny how last game they force fed Kam the ball...And Sal has caught like one pass since Washington. 

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Funny how last game they force fed Kam the ball...And Sal has caught like one pass since Washington. 

What happened to the last thread on this? It looks like it was deleted. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

What happened to the last thread on this? It looks like it was deleted. 

Idk this is the only thread I remember on this.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Idk this is the only thread I remember on this.

We have been talking about this all morning in another thread.  Oh well. 

It looks like this rule is causing unintended consequences. 

9 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I had the same thought

Archived