Both offenses struggling

thrustmaxwell

For everyone, like me, looking for positives for this game:

State's offense stinks, but Auburn's not much better

Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham put on extra pounds in offseason. Maybe that's not helping in his second season as the Tigers' starter, which has been up and down so far.

Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham put on extra pounds in offseason. Maybe that's not helping in his second season as the Tigers' starter, which has been up and down so far. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson )

A week ago, even as early as Labor Day, the stars didn't seem to align with No. 8 Auburn defeating Mississippi State in Starkville.

Auburn didn't have a running game to speak of and State, with almost all of its starters returning, including one of the SEC's top defensive fronts, was going to be a slight favorite to hang a second loss on the Tigers. Auburn beating State on the road -- because the Bulldogs' defense can shut down the run -- just didn't add up to a Tigers victory with all those cow bells clanging.
Then came Kentucky 28, State 7 and Florida 13, State 6.

Now we're calling an audible. A "Whoa Nellie."

Opinions have changed, starting with the Vegas sports books. Now  Auburn enters Saturday night's 6:30 game a 3 1/2-point favorite.

What's wrong with Auburn can be fixed with a running attack, but that may be another year and three more losses away. We'll find out Saturday. On the plus side, the Tigers have a dependable quarterback with Jarrett Stidham and a few good wide receivers such as Darius Slaton and Ryan Davis. I'm fairly certain Gus Malzahn and his OC, Chip Lindsey, would feel a whole lot better if  their NFL talent QB was playing a whole lot better, too.

We know Auburn's defense could be more dominating,  but it's hard to nitpick Kevin Steele's guys.

What's wrong with State is another story. Its defense is still a force, giving up 287 yards and 13.4 points per game, but the offense stinks. Thirteen points in two games and the opponents are not named Alabama and Georgia.

Quarterback Nick Fitzgerald, coming off a knee injury, is playing like he's coming off a knee injury. He needs a heavy dose of confidence and some wide receivers. Whatever rookie coach Joe Moorhead is doing  isn't working. The offense has been a disaster in SEC play.

Moorhead, going back to his Penn State days, likes to go deep a bunch of times during a game. Fitzpatrick is no Trace McSorley. His 49 percent completion percentage is the worst in the SEC among starting quarterbacks.

Heaven help him this weekend against the Tigers' defense.

This week's picks:

Auburn vs. Mississippi State
Getting by the Bulldogs in Starkville is not a sure thing for Auburn because its offense isn't so hot either. State actually has better stats, averaging 432.3 yards to Auburn's 376.2. The passing game is better (214.2 to 197.6), the ground game is better (219 to 176.6), third down conversion is better (47.7 to 34.78) and the Dawgs have committed four fewer turnovers (3 to 7).
If Fitzpatrick 2.0 can perform like the 1.0  version, this could be a State win. He has two running backs, Kylin Hill and Aeris Williams, that Auburn would love to have, but the best passing game on the field belongs to Auburn. That'll be the difference in a game that might not make it out of double digits.
Auburn 10, Mississippi State 9 

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/10/whats_wrong_with_state_and_ala.html

you call this a positive thread? Auburn not much better?

1 minute ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I take what I can get.  Why are you trying to rain on my parade?

your statement is click bait and not funny. "auburn is not much better" is in no way a positive.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

your statement is click bait and not funny. "auburn is not much better" is in no way a positive.

You'll need to take your negativity elsewhere, sir.  This is not the thread for it.

2 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

You'll need to take your negativity elsewhere, sir.  This is not the thread for it.

Agreed.  Imagine the nerve of that guy coming into a positive thread with all his negativity.  

This is not what our Auburn Family needs right now.  I will support our players and coaches 100% because I believe in Auburn and love it!

1 minute ago, thrustmaxwell said:

correction lad..............maybe you need to iggie me. i will state my opinion........good or bad on here as i see fit. but thanx so much for trying. waves.........

no hate for mr thrush plains.......

10 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Boys boys! Come on it’s gameday! Can’t we all just get along? 

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

no hate for mr thrush plains.......

"LIKE". 

I will say it would be the very Gus (or even AU) thing to do, to come out tonight and look like world beaters.

47 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

I will say it would be the very Gus (or even AU) thing to do, to come out tonight and look like world beaters.

AU just doesn’t have the world beater DNA in ‘em this year.😞

1 minute ago, keesler said:

AU just doesn’t have the world beater DNA in ‘em this year.😞

I agree, they don’t seem to, on O anyway, but I’ve learned never say never

Only positive I have for this game is I think our Defense is better. If our O comes out playing like they did against UW it'll be a great surprise. If they play like the last 2 weeks,  thank goodness we have a Defense.  We're gonna need em.

I just wish stidham had joe burrows grit. That kid may not be as talented but he isn’t afraid to get hit and runs hard when he scrambles. 

Archived