Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

2 minutes ago, rophle said:

Dabo lost to Syracuse in 2017 and should’ve lost to NC this year; no thanks! 

Lol. Yah he never recovered from that loss...... What a absolutely terrible take. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol. Yah he never recovered from that loss...... What a absolutely terrible take. 

People sure do look at end scores for a variety of points to support, don't they!  Dabo--upward trajectory--fact.

Image result for spin doctors songs

so for those "Row the Boat" fans who want him as our coach please explain why?  Is it because he has them at 9-0?  Because if that is the case please explain how you feel about the South Dakota State win  by a whopping 7 points, Beating Fresno State by 3, GA Southern by a commanding 3 points, Big Purdue by 7 he took care of the others by respectable Margins and did beat Penn State (or did Penn State beat Penn State? watching that game...hard to tell)....Yes Minnesota is a hard place to win at times but is easily in one of the easiest conference divisions.  So if they lose 2 out of their last 3 will you still be wanting him?  Iowa & Whisky remains on their schedule....I get that he is young and energetic and can recruit some but do you think he would survive in this division?  I have my doubts about it.  I think he could do ok but may be a 7-5, 8-4 type of coach here.  I would hope that I am wrong but I have watched some of their games and didn't see something that others may have seen.  I saw them struggle against the teams that I called out this year...I don't think we have that luxury in our conference....  so I would be interested in hearing some of your responses...I am tired of the Gus experiment...especially since my wife who isn't a football fan but started watching the games with my Son and I and she calls out who is going to get the ball pre-snap by the formations that we run...kind of frustrating to see the non-progression of our offense and a waste of a championship defense...

1 minute ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

so for those "Row the Boat" fans who want him as our coach please explain why?  Is it because he has them at 9-0?  Because if that is the case please explain how you feel about the South Dakota State win  by a whopping 7 points, Beating Fresno State by 3, GA Southern by a commanding 3 points, Big Purdue by 7 he took care of the others by respectable Margins and did beat Penn State (or did Penn State beat Penn State? watching that game...hard to tell)....Yes Minnesota is a hard place to win at times but is easily in one of the easiest conference divisions.  So if they lose 2 out of their last 3 will you still be wanting him?  Iowa & Whisky remains on their schedule....I get that he is young and energetic and can recruit some but do you think he would survive in this division?  I have my doubts about it.  I think he could do ok but may be a 7-5, 8-4 type of coach here.  I would hope that I am wrong but I have watched some of their games and didn't see something that others may have seen.  I saw them struggle against the teams that I called out this year...I don't think we have that luxury in our conference....  so I would be interested in hearing some of your responses...I am tired of the Gus experiment...especially since my wife who isn't a football fan but started watching the games with my Son and I and she calls out who is going to get the ball pre-snap by the formations that we run...kind of frustrating to see the non-progression of our offense and a waste of a championship defense...

His true potential won't be fully realized till he gets to a place where he can finally flex his recruiting muscle to its full potential and his infectious personality is able to be more of a asset.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

His true potential won't be fully realized till he gets to a place where he can finally flex his recruiting muscle to its full potential and his infectious personality is able to be more of a asset.

I disagree but that is what message boards are for.  He good year at Western Mich he didn't play anyone really except for Whisky in the bowl game which he lost also got schooled that year by Willy Frisk his last year at GA southern...So I am not sold on Fleck yet.  Will have to wait and see how he does against the rest of the schedule.  Willy might be a more interesting candidate due to what he has done at the schools he has been yet.  If we do switch to him, I would hope we don't tie that much up in him so that we could get out of it easily if needed.  Of course this is my opinion as I think he has done an ok job where he is but not great looking at his competition and watching some of their games the past couple of years....I do remember watching him at W. Michigan when he was there and they had some good athletes that became future NFL players.

5 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I disagree but that is what message boards are for.  He good year at Western Mich he didn't play anyone really except for Whisky in the bowl game which he lost also got schooled that year by Willy Frisk his last year at GA southern...So I am not sold on Fleck yet.  Will have to wait and see how he does against the rest of the schedule.  Willy might be a more interesting candidate due to what he has done at the schools he has been yet.  If we do switch to him, I would hope we don't tie that much up in him so that we could get out of it easily if needed.  Of course this is my opinion as I think he has done an ok job where he is but not great looking at his competition and watching some of their games the past couple of years....I do remember watching him at W. Michigan when he was there and they had some good athletes that became future NFL players.

Every year he was at Western Michigan they had the top recruiting class in the conference. Obviously being at Minny the deck is stacked against him as far as recruiting goes. Him being at Auburn would obviously be much more advantageous as he would be on a level playing field. I can see him getting us top 5 classes consistently eventually. Him and Cristobal because of how great of recruiters they are is why they are my top 2 realistic candidate's.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Every year he was at Western Michigan they had the top recruiting class in the conference. Obviously being at Minny the deck is stacked against him as far as recruiting goes. Him being at Auburn would obviously be much more advantageous as he would be on a level playing field. I can see him getting us top 5 classes consistently eventually. Him and Cristobal because of how great of recruiters they are is why they are my top 2 realistic candidate's.

Yes.  You look at an upward trajectory, and his is climbing, not based upon simply a present landing spot. Gwill, let's admit it.  We like the way he reminds us of Pearl.  Buy-in is HUGE, and restoring excitement in a way that unites (almost) everyone is going to be high on the priority list.  I read some great articles today about how the PTB leave CBP alone these days because of success, his manner, and the fact that it's basketball instead of football and that we're seeing night and day compared to what he inherited.  Maybe the right fit will keep the PTB at bay...as much "at bay" as can be hoped for.

14 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Yes.  You look at an upward trajectory, and his is climbing, not based upon simply a present landing spot. Gwill, let's admit it.  We like the way he reminds us of Pearl.  Buy-in is HUGE, and restoring excitement in a way that unites (almost) everyone is going to be high on the priority list.  I read some great articles today about how the PTB leave CBP alone these days because of success, his manner, and the fact that it's basketball instead of football and that we're seeing night and day compared to what he inherited.  Maybe the right fit will keep the PTB at bay...as much "at bay" as can be hoped for.

You absolutely nailed it TG!!!! 🎯!!!! That infectious contagious personality that is the closest thing to a Pearl personality out there out of guys we realistically have a shot at hiring!!! We need that energy and leadership to unify the fanbase that has been fractured for several years!!

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It will be interesting to watch all of this play out and we will still be where we are...hope that changes but we will see...

19 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I've been aware of Fleck since he was the receivers coach for the Bucs and on through his stops at WMU and now Minny. If you've got a few minutes to kill you should watch his postgame press conference last Saturday. Dude is absolutely dialed in. Reminds me of the good things about Saban where he's staying on message and always talking about getting better and how this game was a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rAshZcxIk

I agree this could be a wild off season.  If we win out or go 1-1 and Gus makes moon eyes at Arky or FSU and vice versa let him go.  Promote Steele to HC or hire an up and comer like Drinkwitz or Norvell with the under standing that our d staff stays in tack.  If we lose out let him go.

34 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

I agree this could be a wild off season.  If we win out or go 1-1 and Gus makes moon eyes at Arky or FSU and vice versa let him go.  Promote Steele to HC or hire an up and comer like Drinkwitz or Norvell with the under standing that our d staff stays in tack.  If we lose out let him go.

Drinkwitz first off is a Gus protege, that would definitely rub the "Fire Gus" crowd the wrong way. Secondly he's in his first year at App. State following Scott Satterfield. He needs to prove he can sustain success.

Norvell maybe, but Justin Fuentes looked like a solid hire from Memphis to Virginia Tech and has been middling for the most part and that's in the second weakest P5 conference. I'm sheepish on him.

I would also add, the only reservation I would have with promoting Steele is that he would need to hire/promote a DC to handle those he's relinquishing as he takes on new head coaching duties. Yes we keep the staff together, but do we keep the same production? Steele's last Head Coaching gig was pretty bad, I know we're talking Baylor and a small sample size, but that's still of an unknown to give me pause.

But I've been thinking of the current situation— say we do win out... Would Arkansas still make an offer? Malzahn is more more expensive now than two years ago and in a 10-2 scenario I don't see Auburn and the PTB negotiating a way to let him go. I think that would deter Arkansas from going after him. Again also dependent on just how badly (or not) the Malzahn's want out of Auburn. But I don't see where even winning out would result in a contract extension or raise if we can trust the business acumen of Allen Green.

I could be totally wrong too... Let's just win out and cross that bridge when we get there 😁

11 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I've been aware of Fleck since he was the receivers coach for the Bucs and on through his stops at WMU and now Minny. If you've got a few minutes to kill you should watch his postgame press conference last Saturday. Dude is absolutely dialed in. Reminds me of the good things about Saban where he's staying on message and always talking about getting better and how this game was a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rAshZcxIk

Just listening to this guy makes you want to believe.  He is made for football as he looks more like a strength and conditioning coach than a head coach.  There isn’t a football player that wouldn’t run through a brick wall for this guy.  It is his life style, no excuses, just full bore. It will be interesting to see, when he loses, if he takes the blame or shuffles it off to someone else.

12 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Personality GIF - Personality Winning Winner GIFs

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Just my unfounded opinion but switch Dabo at Auburn and Gus at Clemson. I highly doubt Gus would’ve gotten Clemson to their peak. As far as I am concerned Gus would make someone like Trevor Lawrence look like JS 2.0 and Ross a strictly go route guy. Dabo to me would‘ve gotten us to the playoffs with some of the talent we had in the last seven years. The 2014, 2015 and 2017 was criminally talented teams. 

Spot on.

Barely above .500 vs Miss State? Losing to a 7 loss Tennessee? Losing to bad UGA teams? That is Clemsoning if I've ever seen it.

At this point I don't care who the coach is as long as they actually understand what they're looking at during practices and one who doesn't take SIX FREAKING WEEKS to realize an offense might run better if you play your 2 best WRs at the same time.

The bar is really low and we still aren't managing to get there. I feel so bad for our players.

Auburn would be undefeated and in the playoffs this season with Clemson's schedule. 

I'm not sure what Dabo's record would be this season with our schedule. It's easy to say he would be undefeated, but really, would he be? 

Anyway, I'm not arguing that Dabo isn't a better coach than Gus, but our schedules - especially this season - are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum. 

Our schedule really is a bear, and I know that people don't like the way we've lost our games, but there aren't many teams that would be undefeated with our schedule to this point. Maybe Ohio State? Maybe Clemson? Maybe?

Dabo might not be undefeated with our team but his decision making is significantly more trustable and reliable than Gus'. That alone means we would be in a better spot with him, schedule be damned. Also, not to mention he owns Gus in h2h meetings.

He would've at least tried something in the LSU and UF games.

Nobody is denying the schedule is tough or asking for any person to consistent go undefeated. Who cares if tOSU wouldn’t go undefeated in this schedule. My concern is consistency . Our HC is consistently losing to our rivals. I don’t think Clemson is going 0-3 against Coach O. I don’t think Clemson would be 1-3 against UGA with Kirby Smart as HC. Does anyone else? 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nobody is denying the schedule is tough or asking for any person to consistent go undefeated. Who cares if tOSU wouldn’t go undefeated in this schedule. My concern is consistency . Our HC is consistently losing to our rivals. I don’t think Clemson is going 0-3 against Coach O. I don’t think Clemson would be 1-4 against UGA with Kirby Smart as HC. Does anyone else? 

If that ain't consistency, I don't know what is.  :tease:

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nobody is denying the schedule is tough or asking for any person to consistent go undefeated. Who cares if tOSU wouldn’t go undefeated in this schedule. My concern is consistency . Our HC is consistently losing to our rivals. I don’t think Clemson is going 0-3 against Coach O. I don’t think Clemson would be 1-3 against UGA with Kirby Smart as HC. Does anyone else? 

I've been active on ITAT/AUC for a decade now and I think a significant part of that board is ok with losing 70% of games to our rivals now. It's the strangest thing and I can't figure it out. 

Another thing that is kind of grinding my gears. You can find fault in legit any perspective coach. There are several questionable game in Stoops Career. UM has had far from the unblemished record at tOSU in terms of teams he has loss to. For me, it takes the whole body work to really have any type of judgement for the case of any individual. 

2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I've been active on ITAT/AUC for a decade now and I think a significant part of that board is ok with losing 70% of games to our rivals now. It's the strangest thing and I can't figure it out. 

I fought this mindset for a little bit now I am starting to succumb to thinking this is true. It is rationalized on our history or these teams recruit better than us. All could be accurate but does that mean we should just accept it? I for one do not want to accept being the whipping boy for those schools. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Another thing that is kind of grinding my gears. You can find fault in legit any perspective coach. There are several questionable game in Stoops Career. UM has had far from the unblemished record at tOSU in terms of teams he has loss to. For me, it takes the whole body work to really have any type of judgement for the case of any individual. 

Exactly. This "Coach X lost to                   this week, scratch him off the list" is incredibly short sighted and will only lead to more problems. It goes beyond the W/L record. How sustainable are things? How many remedial coaching decisions have been made? Have they quelled or do they keep happening? Things like that are more important IMO

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Exactly. This "Coach X lost to                   this week, scratch him off the list" is incredibly short sighted and will only lead to more problems. It goes beyond the W/L record. How sustainable are things? How many remedial coaching decisions have been made? Have they quelled or do they keep happening? Things like that are more important IMO

I'm pretty sure it's just a running joke.

Archived