Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

4 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Great timing. JABA. Trade Gus for Muschamp.......

No and neverrrrrrrr! 🤣🤣❤❤

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Great timing. JABA. Trade Gus for Muschamp.......

Please no.  I SO HOPE YOU ARE KIDDING!!  Muschamp has done nothing as a HC in the SECe.  There is no way he would do squat in the SECw.

35 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

To date, yes. If you visit Mike Marshall's Twitter and Auburn Authority blog, it's easy to get a sense that things might be shifting. One can hope...

I've been following Marshall for a while and I still cant figure out if he has an in or not. Is he actually clued in to what's happening behind the scenes?

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I've been following Marshall for a while and I still cant figure out if he has an in or not. Is he actually clued in to what's happening behind the scenes?

I can't tell. My first visit today. Can't really tell where he comes down regarding change either, based upon his "Twitter comment likes." But I found a reference in one of his blogs to the delay of the football-only facility very hmmmm... 

Most important 3 weeks of Gus's Auburn tenure coming up IMO. Lose to UGa AND Bama and even Malzahn worshippers like me will avoid eye contact. Beat both and our few but vocal sunshine fans will temporarily slink away to the shadows. Even beating one would amount to beating 2 top 6 teams in one season and only the we-want-belichick wackjobs call for the ax then. Go Gus Go!

War Eagle!

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Most important 3 weeks of Gus's Auburn tenure coming up IMO. Lose to UGa AND Bama and even Malzahn worshippers like me will avoid eye contact. Beat both and our few but vocal sunshine fans will temporarily slink away to the shadows. Even beating one would amount to beating 2 top 6 teams in one season and only the we-want-belichick wackjobs call for the ax then. Go Gus Go!

War Eagle!

I think he has to run the table. JMHO. Uga and bammer are beatable right now and if we get embarrassed AT HOME by either team and I feel the talks will heat up to boiling point. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

We talk about Auburn being really special and it is..... It also is really effin weird and we are our own worst enemy more than any other school I have seen. We should be what Clemson is now  for most of our program history but the power brokers rather hire a yes man who is easy to control in football.

I’m off the Gus bus as much as anyone, but IMO I don’t think it’s fair to compare us to what Clemson is. If we played in the ACC and didn’t have to play LSU, UGA and Bama every season, we may have ended up like Clemson is now, even with Gus. We recover from the National Title loss in 13 with an ACC schedule and Nick Marshall in 14 easily imo, and who knows where we’d be. That’s why, if I was Gus, I’d be trying to get an ACC job. He could be most of those team’s Saban/Bryant. We want a coach that can do what Clemsons doing while playing in the SEC West. That’s a tall order. Not many coaches are on that level.

A lot can change in the next three weeks, and not that I believe Malzahn will or should be fired... But if I were Allen Green I'd have a short list of coaching replacements on hand.

I think we're in for a wild off-season

Assuming the rumors of Malzahn being Arkansas' top choice are true (and I hear there are whispers that the Mrs. is ready to go back home) the AD needs to be prepared to act accordingly. At 8-4 there will be little backlash to letting Gus go to Arkansas or possibly firing him outright.

But what if Gus wins out (10-2) and still has eyes on Arkansas? We would be in a similar situation as we were when considering firing him — we surely would need to have a better replacement lest we be lambasted for letting a 10-2 Head Coach who (again) beat Georgia and Bama in November, knocking both of our rivals out of playoff contention while simultaneously giving us an outside chance to make the playoffs ourselves.

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m off the Gus bus as much as anyone, but IMO I don’t think it’s fair to compare us to what Clemson is. If we played in the ACC and didn’t have to play LSU, UGA and Bama every season, we may have ended up like Clemson is now, even with Gus. We recover from the National Title loss in 13 with an ACC schedule and Nick Marshall in 14 easily imo, and who knows where we’d be. That’s why, if I was Gus, I’d be trying to get an ACC job. He could be most of those team’s Saban/Bryant. We want a coach that can do what Clemsons doing while playing in the SEC West. That’s a tall order. Not many coaches are on that level.

He would never be that level because the same problem would exist as it does now when he plays teams that have equal or more talent than his teams. His chicken ish passing attack  would be a big problem in big games. He never would be able to make it past the first round of the playoffs if he even gets there. A easier schedule does not fix his hiring tendencies on the offensive side of the ball and the disastrous OL crutin/re hiring a coach who we already knew from before struggled mightily in recruiting. It's not just as simple as going to a easier conference for Gus. He has a lot problems that are self inflicted besides a hard schedule. Even with said hard schedule we should be undefeated if we had a modernized offense with a sophisticated passing attack.

1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I would argue that one doesn’t have to have an ‘in’ to read Auburn. It is pretty transparent and an organization. We have too many cooks in the kitchen, and too much is based on who is connected to who, as opposed to a culture of excellence based on merit and performance. I feel like hiring Dr. Greene was a step in reversing that trend, but we shall see. 

25 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Totally agree I did that in my professional life 

Can't take credit...that's John Maxwell, but it's so true. We have to lay our egos down by hiring quality (creative, experienced if possible, and visionary-compatible) people that make up for our shortcomings and LETTING THEM LOOSE TO SOAR. 

31 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

A lot can change in the next three weeks, and not that I believe Malzahn will or should be fired... But if I were Allen Green I'd have a short list of coaching replacements on hand.

I think we're in for a wild off-season

Assuming the rumors of Malzahn being Arkansas' top choice are true (and I hear there are whispers that the Mrs. is ready to go back home) the AD needs to be prepared to act accordingly. At 8-4 there will be little backlash to letting Gus go to Arkansas or possibly firing him outright.

But what if Gus wins out (10-2) and still has eyes on Arkansas? We would be in a similar situation as we were when considering firing him — we surely would need to have a better replacement lest we be lambasted for letting a 10-2 Head Coach who (again) beat Georgia and Bama in November, knocking both of our rivals out of playoff contention while simultaneously giving us an outside chance to make the playoffs ourselves.

Wise to have a short list. Good points. Many of your thoughts have crossed my mind, too...including their ultimate happiness. In my foggy memory was a wonder-quote "if they had done the right thing by staying" shortly after the exten$$ion and the wild field outcomes that followed.  I think, I hope, our eyes are on the total picture, which is admittedly murky even with observable trends and some ghastly stats, rather than a late curveball. I know it's so Pollyanna of me, but I really do hope for a win-win for all perspectives. 

46 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He would never be that level because the same problem would exist as it does now when he plays teams that have equal or more talent than his teams. His chicken ish passing attack  would be a big problem in big games. He never would be able to make it past the first round of the playoffs if he even gets there. A easier schedule does not fix his hiring tendencies on the offensive side of the ball and the disastrous OL crutin/re hiring a coach who we already knew from before struggled mightily in recruiting. It's not just as simple as going to a easier conference for Gus. He has a lot problems that are self inflicted besides a hard schedule. Even with said hard schedule we should be undefeated if we had a modernized offense with a sophisticated passing attack.

He is in one of the best possible places to make runs at championships right now...it's laughable to think otherwise. Sure the competition is tougher but the tools are there for great seasons. Not 7-5 or 8-4 seasons. Good grief,  I guess I just have a higher opinion of Auburn than those that say otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

He is in one of the best possible places to make runs at championships right now...it's laughable to think otherwise. Sure the competition is tougher but the tools are there for great seasons. Not 7-5 or 8-4 seasons. Good grief,  I guess I just have a higher opinion of Auburn than those that say otherwise. 

Auburn is a top 10 program with top 5 potential.  I am right there with you fam!!!  

I agree with both of you that Auburn has the ability to become a top 5 program, but I don’t think it’s fair to think that a middle of the road coach like Gus couldn’t have us getting our 1 or 2 loss seasons and championships in a conference with 1 other legit power. Hell I think Gus would have done better in the last 7 years if he was in the SEC East with our talent. Much less a ACC that is stupid easy. Dabo Sweeney would not be thought of as a top 3 coach if he was playing Bama, LSU, and Georgia every single year, because those teams are in the same if not better positions to win big too. 

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I agree with both of you that Auburn has the ability to become a top 5 program, but I don’t think it’s fair to think that a middle of the road coach like Gus couldn’t have us getting our 1 or 2 loss seasons and championships in a conference with 1 other legit power. Hell I think Gus would have done better in the last 7 years if he was in the SEC East with our talent. Much less a ACC that is stupid easy. Dabo Sweeney would not be thought of as a top 3 coach if he was playing Bama, LSU, and Georgia every single year, because those teams are in the same if not better positions to win big too. 

I think you have a good point about Gus but I think you're wrong about Dabo. He has more than held his own against Saban and Bama in their matchups. Even with Gus's oddities and stubbornness to change he literally could have won three in a row over LSU and at least broken even against UGA. He just outgusses himself. I think Dabo is a better coach than Gus so I think he would have beaten LSU the past three years and Georgia wouldn't have something like 7 of the last 10 against us either. It's all hypothetical I know but I really think Dabo would win his share of SEC championships in the West. 

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I give dabo the benefit of the doubt for beating 2 saban teams in the Natty. 1 being by far the biggest blow out in sabans bama career. Before dabo came along saban was undefeated in national title games. He got to the playoffs with Kelly Bryant as QB who is just a above average QB.

Clemson has a top 3 talented team in the country year in year out along with bama and Ohio State. They would do fine. Just like bama has with a sec schedule.

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

As far as Gus.. . The pieces were in place all he had to do was be a dabo like CEO coach and get the hell out of the way!!! If he would just stop being a overbearing egotistical control freak and let the OC he hires do their dang job we would have at least 1 more sec title and maybe even a natty. 2017 was arguably the most complete team in the country that year and def our best team top to bottom since 04. This year's defense is even better than 17 and close to 04. We just need our "offensive genius" to get his head out of his ass. We would be undefeated going in to amen corner.

Just my unfounded opinion but switch Dabo at Auburn and Gus at Clemson. I highly doubt Gus would’ve gotten Clemson to their peak. As far as I am concerned Gus would make someone like Trevor Lawrence look like JS 2.0 and Ross a strictly go route guy. Dabo to me would‘ve gotten us to the playoffs with some of the talent we had in the last seven years. The 2014, 2015 and 2017 was criminally talented teams. 

Archived