Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

He'll be happy come Saturday. Boobie's back to full strength. We're gonna' cram it 45 times between the tackles for 350 rushing and 6 TD's against the DullDawgs.

DJ better get 30 of them. I rather not see Whitlow fumble or almost fumble the ball 2 times. DJ IS A GOT DANG STUD!!!! THE NEXT GREAT AU RB!!! WAR DAMN DJ WILLIAMS!!! WOOOO!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

giphy.gif

Please let Arkansas want him so bad that they will negotiate his stupid buyout! And then go out there and get Cristobal, Fleck or Norvell and let’s do thisssss!

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He needs to leave ASAP for a better job. At any time Minny could have a bad season just because of the level of talent. It is dangerous to stay there. If a big job offers him the job he is goooooone!!!

I disagree.   Minnesota recently built a new stadium and have shown they are willing to pay good money for a coach.  Now , they are in the easiest division of the big ten, so they could possibly be playing for conference championships every year.  

They are the only big time college football team in the state, and I would imagine that they have the pick of all the good players in the state.   

I’m not saying it’s one of the premier jobs in the country but it’s not as bad as some on here see it.  

34 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Watch Malzahn go to Arkansas and suddenly have a change of heart and turn them into a serious threat

a Serious threat? He can’t do that consistently at Auburn, what makes you think he can do it at Arkansas? If anything maybe, maybe respectable again. 

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

a Serious threat? He can’t do that consistently at Auburn, what makes you think he can do it at Arkansas? If anything maybe, maybe respectable again. 

The more I see of Gus the more I think he's a guy who can get a program to 7-5/8-4 but not much further. He would jump up and catch us on a bad day once or twice if he went to Arky but if we had a DC worth anything he'd put the kabosh on his offense. After 5 or 6 years Arky would get tired of losing most of their games to good teams and go try someone else. Then they'd either fall back into the crushing abyss of losing to San Jose State and WKU or get a little bit better. 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I disagree.   Minnesota recently built a new stadium and have shown they are willing to pay good money for a coach.  Now , they are in the easiest division of the big ten, so they could possibly be playing for conference championships every year.  

They are the only big time college football team in the state, and I would imagine that they have the pick of all the good players in the state.   

I’m not saying it’s one of the premier jobs in the country but it’s not as bad as some on here see it.  

Lol what good players in state? The margin of error is so thin at a program like Minny. The recruiting base is not there to build a consistent winner.

3 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

SIAP- why not promote Kevin Steele and go take Brady from LSU to be OC

Why would he leave. LSU just to stay in the same position ? 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good point, although I think he’s technically the passing game coordinator there and not the OC in charge. Something about Brady though. Is he as good without Burrow as he is with him? We wont know until next year. 

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good point, although I think he’s technically the passing game coordinator there and not the OC in charge. Something about Brady though. Is he as good without Burrow as he is with him? We wont know until next year. 

Well you got to look at it like this. Was burrow as good without him last year? Also I think everyone knows to give all the credit to Brady and Burrow's and not freaking ensminger!!!! Lol

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not currently OC so it would be a title upgrade, pay, step towards becoming HC

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol what good players in state? The margin of error is so thin at a program like Minny. The recruiting base is not there to build a consistent winner.

I think your forgetting who he is competing against.    Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, northwestern and Purdue.   Minnesota has always gone down to Florida and plucked some skill positions players.   Playing against that competition, there is enough talent in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois to grab some players.   

21 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I think your forgetting who he is competing against.    Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, northwestern and Purdue.   Minnesota has always gone down to Florida and plucked some skill positions players.   Playing against that competition, there is enough talent in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois to grab some players.   

I think the point @GwillMac6 was making is that programs like Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State etc have had established recruiting ties that Minnesota does not for years. If you're an also ran like Minnesota and you're trying to claw your way to contender status you almost can't afford for even moderately talented guys to flop when they get on campus because there might not be someone else of similar talent that you can plug in. I checked Minnesota's recruiting the last few years, there's a whole lot of 3* guys. The fact that Fleck has gotten these guys to buy in and perform far above what it was thought they were capable of is why people are so impressed with him. 

27 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Don’t know what this means

FAS-CIN-A-TING...

"...Thus, the culture of infighting was set and the absence of strong leadership was born. In athletics, there have been two examples of aggressive leadership- Pat Dye and Bruce Pearl. Both managed to unite alumni and students with strong  personalities. Both arrived at Auburn with their respective programs at their lowest ebbs, starved for success. Otherwise, Auburn has usually settled for milder, non-threatening figures to lead their flagship programs, a pattern that has maintained the already weak leadership model.

The most consistent traits of the upper tiers of Auburn University are infighting among leaders, the quest for money, and the desire for gentler personalities. Always remember money..."

http://theauburnauthority.com/2019/11/marshall-column-the-continuing-quest-for-unity-at-auburn

9 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

FAS-CIN-A-TING...

"...Thus, the culture of infighting was set and the absence of strong leadership was born. In athletics, there have been two examples of aggressive leadership- Pat Dye and Bruce Pearl. Both managed to unite alumni and students with strong  personalities. Both arrived at Auburn with their respective programs at their lowest ebbs, starved for success. Otherwise, Auburn has usually settled for milder, non-threatening figures to lead their flagship programs, a pattern that has maintained the already weak leadership model.

The most consistent traits of the upper tiers of Auburn University are infighting among leaders, the quest for money, and the desire for gentler personalities. Always remember money..."

http://theauburnauthority.com/2019/11/marshall-column-the-continuing-quest-for-unity-at-auburn

Nice read, but how does this relate to his earlier comments? Lol

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think what Marshall is insinuating is those at the top like feeling they have power or influence over a mild mannered coach like Gus or Chiz or Tubbs. Someone like PJ Fleck who has his own brand and a strong personality would not be popular with these types. Maybe it's because I wasn't born into Auburn but I don't understand why is this even a thing. Why doesn't the conversation start and end with "What can we do to win more football games?" (within the rules of course)

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It is a chapter of the "rest of the story"--the amplification of the hints that Mike Marshall's tweets suggest...IMHO.

I don't know how I haven't known about this blog. Maybe you did already?Posters here are always wanting "inside tidbits." If these are common knowledge, I haven't seen them posted here...

http://theauburnauthority.com/2019/10/marshall-column-the-inability-to-change-rises-again-in-the-auburn-football-program

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I think was Marshall is insinuating is those at the top like feeling they have power or influence over a mild mannered coach like Gus or Chiz or Tubbs. Someone like PJ Fleck who has his own brand and a strong personality would not be popular with these types. Maybe it's because I wasn't born into Auburn but I don't understand why is this even a thing. Why doesn't the conversation start and end with "What can we do to win more football games?" (within the rules of course)

We talk about Auburn being really special and it is..... It also is really effin weird and we are our own worst enemy more than any other school I have seen. We should be what Clemson is now  for most of our program history but the power brokers rather hire a yes man who is easy to control in football.

3 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I think was Marshall is insinuating is those at the top like feeling they have power or influence over a mild mannered coach like Gus or Chiz or Tubbs. Someone like PJ Fleck who has his own brand and a strong personality would not be popular with these types. Maybe it's because I wasn't born into Auburn but I don't understand why is this even a thing. Why doesn't the conversation start and end with "What can we do to win more football games?" (within the rules of course)

The best leaders surround themselves with even better ones...

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You see this in this forum all the time when any one mentions a strong leader. They are blasted as being not christian or not kissy kissy g rated pansies that will make auburn look bad or not be a daddy figure to players. 

The people who are are/believe this just aren't winners and it kills auburn before it has a chance. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

We talk about Auburn being really special and it is..... It also is really effin weird and we are our own worst enemy more than any other school I have seen. We should be what Clemson is now  for most of our program history but the power brokers rather hire a yes man who is easy to control in football.

To date, yes. If you visit Mike Marshall's Twitter and Auburn Authority blog, it's easy to get a sense that things might be shifting. One can hope...

Great timing. JABA. Trade Gus for Muschamp.......

Archived