Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Personally, I don't see UM coming back to the SEC much less the SEC W.  I don't think he would like coming to a place where he doesn't know for sure that he has an easy road forward.  Maybe I am wrong but that is just my gut feeling about him.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Why does everyone automatically rule out Stoops? It was a possibility last year (how much of one is debatable, but there was definitely some communication between him and our boosters), and he was looking at FSU but they didn't offer him enough money. This isn't the AU under JJ where we end up with some good-ole-boy ala Chizik instead of a proven winner. I think Greene could get an elite coach to come to Auburn.

I personally don't want him even if it could happen and most agree it wasn't really happening last year. He's a get wins but no rings kind of guy in his prime. He's been passed up at this point. Would rather go younger looking for a very long term hire.

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Mike Leach would bring the fun in football back to Auburn. I'm not convinced he'd bring wins though.

Terry Bowden is a GA at Clemson. Stepped down from Akron to do so. It was one of the more bizarre stories from this past summer.

This. At least it would be fun but I don't think we'd win the SEC with him.

8 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Pay Urban Meyer $40M for 5 years to build a top tier program.  Then find someone else to run it.  Maybe putting a 5-year limit will keep him from flaking out and bolting.  

Either we do it now or someone else will... 

e8a.gif

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Do we let him build a culture of illegal recruiting and crimes too? Like I said, I'd be amazed if he ever returns to the SEC.

No.  We don't let him do the crime thing.  You think he'll do bad things next time around?  I say we give him a chance to do right in AU.  Seemed to work for basketball.

41 minutes ago, AURealist said:

No.  We don't let him do the crime thing.  You think he'll do bad things next time around?  I say we give him a chance to do right in AU.  Seemed to work for basketball.

I would hope so. Don't think Bruce and Urban are cut from the same cloth though personally.

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I would hope so. Don't think Bruce and Urban are cut from the same cloth though personally.

I thought the Bible Belt was a forgiving bunch !

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I thought the Bible Belt was a forgiving bunch !

I'm forgiving... but there's a saying about being fooled once, twice, three times, etc.

We're obviously forgiving if Gus still has a job!

At this point I’m pretty sure a cardboard cutout of Shug on the sidelines with Coach Dye drinking a cold one in the booth and Baby Bowden running the offense could produce about the same results as Gus...and a lot cheaper...

20 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm forgiving... but there's a saying about being fooled once, twice, three times, etc.

We're obviously forgiving if Gus still has a job!

Jesus says not 7 times but 77 times 

- Gus apologists 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Jesus says not 7 times but 77 times 

- Gus apologists 

"Forgiving" is a whole lot different from "Accepting".

I forgive my brother-in-law for his behavior and the money he owes....but I'm still not going to trust him.

As for this quote though?  Gold!!! LOLOLOL!!!

6 hours ago, aubaseball said:

If you want a coach that is better and someone that will come? Three names: kiffin, freeze or briles 

Kiffin with Steele's D would be scary good...

18 minutes ago, DivisionN said:

Rhule- He rebuilt Baylor in three years. 

He just signed a contract extension thru 2027.  He's not leaving Baylor unless  Baylor gets the death penalty.

26 minutes ago, AURealist said:

He just signed a contract extension thru 2027.  He's not leaving Baylor unless  Baylor gets the death penalty.

lol contract extensions mean NOTHING. Guys sign lengthy extensions all the time and still. You really do not think Auburn could not get the Baylor football coach? Is Baylor even a top 50 job in the country? The reason why he may not be attainable is not the extension but the fact that he has a 10 million dollar buyout I believe. Which would not be a problem normally buuuuuut Gus buy out is already going to set us back 13 million immediately that has to be paid within 30 days. Then the rest is paid out over 4 years.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol contract extensions mean NOTHING. Guys sign lengthy extensions all the time and still. You really do not think Auburn could not get the Baylor football coach? Is Baylor even a top 50 job in the country? The reason why he may not be attainable is not the extension but the fact that he has a 10 million dollar buyout I believe. Which would not be a problem normally buuuuuut Gus buy out is already going to set us back 13 million immediately that has to be paid within 30 days. Then the rest is paid out over 4 years.

Gus contract is the biggest albatross in Auburn history. We essentially paid for his great grandkids to have a cushy life. What did we get in return? Gus choking away a National Championship that was within his grasp, wasting a talent like Stidham who could have helped us to another one, and now financially boot strapping Auburn for the next half decade. 

I may never view the prayer in Jordan Hare or Kick Six fondly again. Without those two plays Gus could have been gone already. 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yeah, it wasn't so much the length of extension, but more the (probable high) buyout and his flaming bromance with Mack Rhoades I was thinking of.  Are there actual concrete numbers on that buyout?  

At this point, the smartest thing for Auburn to do financially if they want Gus out is to promote Steele and let him bring in an OC/QB coach. I just don’t see how Kevin Steele, with all these years of experience, would be incapable of running a football program. Yea he stunk it up at Baylor, but it was 90’s Baylor for gods sake. And it was so long ago. 

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

At this point, the smartest thing for Auburn to do financially if they want Gus out is to promote Steele and let him bring in an OC/QB coach. I just don’t see how Kevin Steele, with all these years of experience, would be incapable of running a football program. Yea he stunk it up at Baylor, but it was 90’s Baylor for gods sake. And it was so long ago. 

Possibly someone like a Hugh Freeze?

20 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Freeze would be better off waiting for us to fire Gus and hire him as an HC.

11 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Hadn’t thought about that, but Hugh would be a good option. Kendall Briles would be awesome too and if it worked out, he could slide into the HC role when Steele retires and promote and retain T-Will or Garner as his DC. Stability for years!!😂

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Hadn’t thought about that, but Hugh would be a good option. Kendall Briles would be awesome too. 

KB is one I was thinking of too. Another young one that would be good is Sean Gleeson

52 minutes ago, bigbird said:

KB is one I was thinking of too. Another young one that would be good is Sean Gleeson

Out of likes but agree!!!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Wouldn’t be a terrible idea and would be able to keep the majority of the staff in place that I do think is doing a good job

Archived