Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This lines up EXACTLY with what Rick Neuheisel said on Sirius Radio during the summer. That Cristobal told him first hand that he coveted the Auburn job and would def accept the job if it came open and he was offered. Appreciate the insight sir!

Now if we got a Cristobal lined up in the bag then I have no issues with the buyout and making the move. I feel like he could be a coach that would move us forward.

The absurd buyout that was negotiated is what makes me wary. Would hate to dump all that money and end up in the same spot.

For this year, I just want them to support the man or to pull the trigger. No games, no what if's. Rip the damn band-aid.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes but even in the playoffs he still had to beat OU and then face Bama to get to the NC game. There is no way we can know one way or another even in a playoff scenario how UGA would’ve done against tOSU. Not to mention UGA played a 9-5 Arkansas team in the SEC championship games that year because Alabama had a post season Ban. Granted they did beat Bama that year in Tuscaloosa by two but we also know how hard it is to beat a team twice in one season. They also loss to an unranked Florida team which did them in for the BCS. The same Florida team that got annihilated by Miami. 

But that's the point, there's no way of knowing because they had no shot. And that tOSU team had many a close call as well. Also five of the seven rematches in the SECC have gone to the team that won first--both times the team that lost in the first round won had a lot to do with who the team that won the first round played the previous week.

All I'm saying is the "Kirby got them to the next level" argument isn't necessarily fair to Richt, as their records have thus far been quite similar during their respective years.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

But that's the point, there's no way of knowing because they had no shot. And that tOSU team had many a close call as well. Also five of the seven rematches in the SECC have gone to the team that won first--both times the team that lost in the first round won had a lot to do with who the team that won the first round played the previous week.

All I'm saying is the "Kirby got them to the next level" argument isn't necessarily fair to Richt, as their records have thus far been quite similar during their respective years.

They didn’t deserve a shot they lost to a unranked Florida team. Don’t lose to an unranked Florida team if you want a shot. 

tOSU went undefeated and won a NC in doing so. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

They didn’t deserve a shot they lost to a unranked Florida team. Don’t lose to an unranked Florida team if you want a shot. 

tOSU went undefeated and won a NC in doing so. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. 

They would've had a shot if a four-team playoff had existed. Exact same seed, too.

23 hours ago, DAG said:

Norvell has skeleton in his closets supposedly

which is why he hasn’t been picked up by them last go around. 

Actually that might not be true...there are two big factions in Arky...one with the most money wanted morris...the other wanted norvell from Memphis...most money won out this time...next time probably not...

42 minutes ago, AUwent said:

They would've had a shot if a four-team playoff had existed. Exact same seed, too.

poor Mark Richt. 

2 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Actually that might not be true...there are two big factions in Arky...one with the most money wanted morris...the other wanted norvell from Memphis...most money won out this time...next time probably not...

I feel bad for Morris.  I was bored the other day and wanted to see how he was recruiting.  He is bringing in some serious talent at QB and skill players.  I really think if Arkansas is patient they’ll have a good team.  I understand the frustration with Gus after 7 years but 2 seasons to completely rebuild and reshape a program is a lot.  If Gus were to end up in Arkansas next season he’d be walking into a decent situation.  

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I feel bad for Morris.  I was bored the other day and wanted to see how he was recruiting.  He is bringing in some serious talent at QB and skill players.  I really think if Arkansas is patient they’ll have a good team.  I understand the frustration with Gus after 7 years but 2 seasons to completely rebuild and reshape a program is a lot.  If Gus were to end up in Arkansas next season he’d be walking into a decent situation.  

I agree that Morris is build mode and getting guys that fit his system.  I was just stating that there are a couple of factions of people...on one side there is a couple of billionaires and a few multi-millionaires and on the other are multi-millionaires....they all want what is best for Arky but they disagreed on the last hire.  I think if Morris shows improvement next year he will be ok...if not then he will be gone most likely and especially if Norvell is on the market.  Of course that is my opinion but just looking at how things are starting to stack up....  Wish we had a couple of billionaires that would be interested in getting us the best football coach on our next search....it will be interesting to see what happens but I don't think we have that kind of juice because our factions are not on the same page....or else we could have the best...

4 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Josh Heupel's UCF boys just lost to a 2 win Tulsa. Yikes. Scratch him off the list.

If Tulsa had a decent kicker they would have beat Memphis this year along with another game...

14 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Josh Heupel's UCF boys just lost to a 2 win Tulsa. Yikes. Scratch him off the list.

Not good 

10 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

If Tulsa had a decent kicker they would have beat Memphis this year along with another game...

Cool, so UCF would have lost to a 4-5 team instead of a 2-7 team. This is a bad loss. 

1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Cool, so UCF would have lost to a 4-5 team instead of a 2-7 team. This is a bad loss. 

Agree that it is a bad loss no matter what Tulsa's record is but Tulsa has shot itself in the foot a few games with their kicking game.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:44 PM, CR said:

This is just me, but Id rather take a chance on a hungry coach hopefully caught on the say up than a proven guy who is obviously on the way down. Id put both Richt and Stoops in the latter group.

I would agree with that! What’s Texas a&m& whatever getting with jimmybo?

Always of the SHOULD THERE be a vacancy mindset, for there is decorum...still, think I'll drop this right here...

Tiny random research notes...

"During his time with the Buccaneers, Fleck was known to wear cleats during practice, often running routes and simulating defenses with the receivers.[11][12]"

(Nothing like hands-on when it comes to skills taught-to-caught, and sheer rapport.  Love this.)

Fleck is a 2004 graduate of Northern Illinois University with a bachelor's degree in elementary education...

Fleck annually hosts the P. J. Fleck "Live Your Dream" Football Camp that benefits the Juvenile Arthritis Foundation (Friends of Carra), Alopecia Foundation (Locks of Love), Coach Kill's Cancer Fund, and the P. J. Fleck Scholarship Fund.[43] Past camp instructors have included Fleck's former teammates and friends Ken Dorsey and Justin McCareins.[45]

(No wonder the charisma...no wonder. Mic drop.  Stop right there.  SOLD!  :yay::jossun: )

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Always of the SHOULD THERE be a vacancy mindset, for there is decorum...still, think I'll drop this right here...

Tiny random research notes...

"During his time with the Buccaneers, Fleck was known to wear cleats during practice, often running routes and simulating defenses with the receivers.[11][12]"

(Nothing like hands-on when it comes to skills taught-to-caught, and sheer rapport.  Love this.)

Fleck is a 2004 graduate of Northern Illinois University with a bachelor's degree in elementary education...

Fleck annually hosts the P. J. Fleck "Live Your Dream" Football Camp that benefits the Juvenile Arthritis Foundation (Friends of Carra), Alopecia Foundation (Locks of Love), Coach Kill's Cancer Fund, and the P. J. Fleck Scholarship Fund.[43] Past camp instructors have included Fleck's former teammates and friends Ken Dorsey and Justin McCareins.[45]

(No wonder the charisma...no wonder. Mic drop.  Stop right there.  SOLD!  :yay::jossun: )

P.J. Fleck has a genuine infectious personality that you can not fake.  It is in him much like Dabo.  Everybody around him is affected by it.  He has to recruit kids that enjoy being coached by that kind of coach.  So far he has changed the culture of every place he has been a head coach, he can do it here and bring the fan base together.  The dream is alive.

Fleck and Matt Rhule both 9-0. Personally? Rather have Fleck out of those 2. I think he could recruit better. He just looks to have IT. 

I was wanting PJ last year. Someone is going to grab him up and he’s going to turn them into a dominate program. I really hope that’s us and no Arky or Tennessee, or someone like that.

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I was wanting PJ last year. Someone is going to grab him up and he’s going to turn them into a dominate program. I really hope that’s us and no Arky or Tennessee, or someone like that.

lol Going to Arky or UT is career suicide at this point.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

lol Going to Arky or UT is career suicide at this point.

I agree on Arky. I think a guy like Fleck could revive the Vols program.

Archived