Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

13 minutes ago, chimes said:

So what you’re saying is that you could’ve just responded to my initial question today by saying that 8 wins will keep Gus safe and anything less is likely to put his job in jeopardy? 

Nope. The way you extrapolate words out of thin air is entertaining. I said:

“a win against AtM and I think Gus is secured.”

You could’ve just left it at that. 

He could finish with 7 regular season wins and should be okay. Obviously with 8, I think he stays. If 6: tough decision.... and if he’s fired, he should be fired before tbe bowl game. 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nope. The way you extrapolate words out of thin air is entertaining. I said:

“a win against AtM and I think Gus is secured.”

You could’ve just left it at that. 

He could finish with 7 regular season wins and should be okay. Obviously with 8, I think he stays. If 6: tough decision.... and if he’s fired, he should be fired before tbe bowl game. 

👌🏼

10 hours ago, Rednilla said:
Spoiler

To answer the question, no, Gus is not coaching for his job against TAMU. If we lose by two touchdowns or more, he might have to pull a rabbit out of his hat and beat UGA or UAT to really be safe, but the only way I see there being even a semblance of a chance that he gets fired after this season (barring a loss to Liberty) is if we lose handily to all three remaining SEC opponents. Even then it would be a surprise, despite the consternation of the message board mafia.

As far as next year goes, the entire O-line returns, and they'll all have a full year starting under their belts (aside from Brahms, who is two games shy of that...and I expect his learning curve to be the highest of any starter on the line). That amount of talent, along with the possibility of Ashley and/or Troxell being ready to step in, means that barring injuries, our line should be a fair slice better. Beyond that, the freshmen who have been garnering all the attention will be back, and while we may not close recruiting particularly strong, I think we'll hold onto the core of the current class and still make the top 15 even if the season goes to pot. Another youth movement next year to go along with the one this year would go a long way toward currying favor for Gus, regardless of the record.

However, the line will, again, be more experienced, and they've looked good in spots recently in the run game. Boobee and Worm both return next year to provide a nice thunder/lightening combo running the ball, and as I've been saying for years, when Gus has experience up front, his offense is worlds better. Therefore, no matter who is playing QB, he should have a solid running game to compliment a bevy of talented receivers, and if it's not Bo Nix starting as a true freshman, then we should have a true dual threat under center, further complicating defensive scheming for opposing DCs (not sure as to Bo's legitimacy as a dual threat). 

On defense, there will still be plenty of talent in the front 7 despite whatever departures we have. Remember all we lost from the 03 defense, only to have the 04 group rise to one of the best defenses ever for a school that has been known for defense since the 1913-1914 teams combined to give up something like 7 points in two seasons? It's late, and I  don't feel like looking up exactly how many the '13 squad gave up, but the '14 team gave up 0 all year. Sure, the game was different then, but that's still a legacy worth mentioning.

This year's defensive secondary has looked solid to me, what with the front 4 not getting hardly any rush on the passer unless there was just no one open (which is called a "coverage sack"). We have 4 big time players in their first year back there (Monday, Smoke, Igbinoghene, Sherwood), plus Dinson, Dean, and Davis to provide veteran leadership, so I expect them to be good...not to mention Rodney Garner's proclivity to get great things out of the linemen he recruits. Oh yeah, and the number 1 outside linebacker recruit in the country (time will tell if he's ready and if he pans out, but it's worth mentioning). So veteran leadership and a ton of talent in the secondary, questionable depth but top notch talent starting up front...sound familiar?

All of this to say that the future is still very bright after this season, so barring a complete meltdown, no, I don't think Gus will be even close to being shown the door, no matter what the Monday Morning Quarterbacks have to say on here. Saw one prediction of no better than 6-6 next year, too, which is about as negative nancy as you can get. Bottom line is that Gus is here to stay for AT LEAST one more season. If he screws the pooch next year, yeah, he might well be gone, but then again he'll know that, and it's you guys who keep saying he coaches best with his job on the line (not that I disagree).

So maybe just wipe the table clean. It's a good time for that, with this being the bye week. We're 5-3. If we take on the challenging task in front of us, maybe reevaluate the negativity about Gus and chalk the first three losses up to having a new offensive line and no proven running back to get pressure off Stidham. It's certainly a tall task, but say we finish the regular season 3-1 to go 8-4. Say then we ride the momentum to a bowl win, with the nasty taste in our mouths from losing to a Group of 5 school that shouldn't have been on the same field as us, their record be damned, and the players realize that no matter who they're playing they have to bring their A game. Don't think the coaches won't drill that one home pretty hardcore. A win in the bowl would give us a lot of positives to build on in the offseason, having gotten up off the mat and finished strong. The players are closer because of having to be to pull it off. Maybe all the speculation about Malzahn being kicked to the curb makes them rally around their leader, strengthening the team bond even more. More than likely we bring in a new OC, one with some new ideas of how to use the talent.

Yes, that last paragraph is speculation, but it's not too far fetched, and it mirrors the close of 2003. LSU showed up UGA last weekend, the same LSU that took a last second field goal to beat us. The players are fired up for Malzahn after his on field rant that cost him 15 meaningless yards but went a long way to endear him to the team's playmakers. It's not so hard to see a lot of things going right over the last third of the season. 

So how about we put the not buying tickets thing on the back burner and show up loud and proud for A&M. Make sure Jordan-Hare is rocking from beginning to end. Not for Malzahn, but for Auburn, for the players donning the orange and blue. Those are our boys out there, after all, no matter how the season is going. Rise up, ye Auburn men and women. Remember the Creed and believe in Auburn. And let's show those Aggies what the 12th Man is REALLY about.

So.....

The season has been so bad Auburn fans should forget what has happened thus far and should look forward to next season.  Ahhh, the future - a magical place where there will be no excuses reasons for losing again to weak teams whose first-season coaches make a mere fraction of what our coach hauls in. Come to think of it, forgetting we've lost to Coach O at Corndog U two seasons in a row is probably sound mental health advice.

We might lose some games this season, (Get ready kids! Football season starts in less than 2 weeks!), but any negative repercussions or negative feelings resulting from those losses will be quickly washed away by our tears of joy over our valiant victory as we vanquish our 6-6 oppressors in our imminent bowl game.  Good thing we're forgetting about the past, 'cuz even the most cursory of a glances would tell you that Gus Malzahn does not win bowl games!   (Plus, Ive recently been informed, by a coach no less, that bowl games are irrelevant.)  

"...speculation..."  Perhaps 'sophistry' was the word you were going for?

Funny how everyone keeps mentioning Gus' "rant."   Maybe Gus has a PR counselor/life coach.  Maybe next, Gusbot will be observed holding a Bud Light and chuckling, "Dilly! Dilly!"  

"Heh", we'll say, "That crazy Gus. Just one of the guys... not a multi-milionaire who lost to Coach O twice in a row."   Crap.  Mentioned it again, didn't I? 

Look, we all love Auburn and the fine young men who are proud to be Auburn Tigers or we wouldn't be here.  I seriously doubt anyone will actually boycott games because they don't like having Gus Malzahn as Head Coach.  

We're just frustrated by what we've been seeing lately.  I'm sure we'll all get over it or not...

*Sorry, everyone, for the double helping of sarcasm.  Blood sugar must be low...

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

So.....

The season has been so bad Auburn fans should forget what has happened thus far and should look forward to next season.  Ahhh, the future - a magical place where there will be no excuses reasons for losing again to weak teams whose first-season coaches make a mere fraction of what our coach hauls in. Come to think of it, forgetting we've lost to Coach O at Corndog U two seasons in a row is probably sound mental health advice.

We might lose some games this season, (Get ready kids! Football season starts in less than 2 weeks!), but any negative repercussions or negative feelings resulting from those losses will be quickly washed away by our tears of joy over our valiant victory as we vanquish our 6-6 oppressors in our imminent bowl game.  Good thing we're forgetting about the past, 'cuz even the most cursory of a glances would tell you that Gus Malzahn does not win bowl games!   (Plus, Ive recently been informed, by a coach no less, that bowl games are irrelevant.)  

"...speculation..."  Perhaps 'sophistry' was the word you were going for?

Funny how everyone keeps mentioning Gus' "rant."   Maybe Gus has a PR counselor/life coach.  Maybe next, Gusbot will be observed holding a Bud Light and chuckling, "Dilly! Dilly!"  

"Heh", we'll say, "That crazy Gus. Just one of the guys... not a multi-milionaire who lost to Coach O twice in a row."   Crap.  Mentioned it again, didn't I? 

Look, we all love Auburn and the fine young men who are proud to be Auburn Tigers or we wouldn't be here.  I seriously doubt anyone will actually boycott games because they don't like having Gus Malzahn as Head Coach.  

We're just frustrated by what we've been seeing lately.  I'm sure we'll all get over it or not...

"...AURealist..." Perhaps 'AUPessimist' is the word you were going for?

No, sophistry is not the word I was going for. I'm a writer. If I'd wanted to use that word, I would have. If you don't think my postulation is conceivable, then you need to go back and read the part of the Creed about BELIEVING in Auburn, because you sure as hell don't seem to do so.

I know it's frustrating. I've been tearing my hair out about it, too. But refusing to allow rays of light to pierce the dark cloud that hangs over this season doesn't do anything to endear you to those of us who want to look for the silver lining.

And yes, the future is still bright for this team. If you've been watching the play of the freshmen and can't see that, you're flat out blind.

7 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

ADD5EB02-1605-40EF-887D-8AA1365FA87F.jpeg

It was late and I'm getting tired of everyone acting like Auburn has a disease. There's plenty to look forward to.

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

It would suck to not only go 7-6 at best this season, but to then go 8-5 at best next season and for him to survive that, too. I would LOVE for Leath to be shown the door.

You never went to Auburn University, did you? You DO realize there's more than football that goes into being president, right?

And I didn't say 7-6 at best this season. I believe I actually predicted 8-4. Maybe sharpen those reading comprehension skills, hmm?

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We already tried that.

Please go back and watch highlights of Lindsey's offenses at prior jobs. Your comment lets me know that you haven't, and that you're assuming that what we see every Saturday is a Chip Lindsey offense. It's not.

As long as Gus is here, our offensive coordinator will not meaningfully affect the identity of the offense. 

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have, but Lindsey doesn't have the clout to get in Gus's face and challenge him about the way the offense is run. That's what I was talking about. An offensive guy equivalent to Kevin Steele who has the coaching experience to stand up and say something that gets through Malzahn's thick skull. We all need that sometimes, and it seems obvious Gus does, too.

10 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

It was late and I'm getting tired of everyone acting like Auburn has a disease. There's plenty to look forward to.

I understand Rednilla. I’m looking forward to basketball season.

Just now, Rednilla said:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have, but Lindsey doesn't have the clout to get in Gus's face and challenge him about the way the offense is run. That's what I was talking about. An offensive guy equivalent to Kevin Steele who has the coaching experience to stand up and say something that gets through Malzahn's thick skull. We all need that sometimes, and it seems obvious Gus does, too.

No experience offensive coordinator is going to come here just to be in a tug of war. How about Gus just take over the offense since he wants to run it his way.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I don’t disagree with your premise here but then I would wonder why have Gus at all? We hired him largely because of his offensive prowess so if you take that away why is he there other than a figure head...then again that seems to be working for LSU lol 😂 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I don’t disagree with your premise here but then I would wonder why have Gus at all? We hired him largely because of his offensive prowess so if you take that away why is he there other than a figure head...then again that seems to be working for LSU lol 😂 

Recruiting. I've heard a lot of positivity about his relationship with players. Plus I still think he can integrate his power run attack with an innovative OC's offense and get the best of both worlds.

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Right? Isn't this his specialty? Why doesn't he step in and give chip some pointers 

Just now, Rednilla said:

Recruiting. I've heard a lot of positivity about his relationship with players. Plus I still think he can integrate his power run attack with an innovative OC's offense and get the best of both worlds.

Nice point. Look if I thought he could do that successfully I wouldn’t be so down him. 

Look at us, having a nice calm reasonable conversation...😀

Just now, DAG said:

Right? Isn't this his specialty? Why doesn't he step in and give chip some pointers 

Yeah I just think they are not jiving and I honestly don’t see Gus jiving with any OC

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

"...AURealist..." Perhaps 'AUPessimist' is the word you were going for?

No, sophistry is not the word I was going for. I'm a writer. If I'd wanted to use that word, I would have. If you don't think my postulation is conceivable, then you need to go back and read the part of the Creed about BELIEVING in Auburn, because you sure as hell don't seem to do so.

I know it's frustrating. I've been tearing my hair out about it, too. But refusing to allow rays of light to pierce the dark cloud that hangs over this season doesn't do anything to endear you to those of us who want to look for the silver lining.

And yes, the future is still bright for this team. If you've been watching the play of the freshmen and can't see that, you're flat out blind.

Yes.  I know you're a writer, Red.  We all know you're a writer, Red.  We know you're a writer because you make certain to tell us that you're a writer.  If you weren't a writer, I wouldn't have poked you about your choice of words.   

Can't deny the frosh are looking great.  I just want them to have a great leader.  I don't see that right now and all data points to another disappointing season.  

Don't preach to me about the Auburn Creed.  You don't know me.  I'm an Auburn alum and I love my school.  Stooping so low as to try to shame me with The Creed just to get a dig in because you didn't like my post is beneath you.

Lighten up.  I pick on you, but it's because misery loves miserable company.  Pumping sunshine at this juncture is an assault on the senses.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

No experience offensive coordinator is going to come here just to be in a tug of war. How about Gus just take over the offense since he wants to run it his way.

I can't help but wonder if Gus's hindrance of Lindsey is related to the lack of experience/production up front. I would think that would be when he would turn to his OC and say, "Okay, what else you got," but it doesn't seem like that's happening.

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

One quick comment about the buyout:   you don't continue to spend good money on a bad decision.   People need to get over, "we will look bad if we pay a coach 32 mil not to coach".  

We already look bad  losing to a bunch of 1st year coaches to programs like Tenn and MSU for crying out loud.   If you remove the special teams play, the Ark game may have gone the other way.   Jimbo will outcoach Gus again and the outcome will be close.   Coin toss I figure.  

We also look bad  when media guys are correctly predicting plays from a studio set in ATL.  

Folks, just remember, we love Auburn football b/c we love Auburn....let's not worry about what other people think so much.  I hope the AD can figure out the right thing to do for Auburn and show some leadership while doing it. 

There is a difference between looking bad on the field and paying a $32 million buyout one year into a contract. THAT would be our reputation for years to come. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

There is a difference between looking bad on the field and paying a $32 million buyout one year into a contract. THAT would be our reputation for years to come. 

I’m not disagreeing with you but our rep nationally is already not great so I’m not sure it would make it that much worse

20 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Ok. You said a guy with new ideas. Chip has those.

If you want a guy who somehow has leverage over Gus, then I'm with the others. Give that guy the headset and the big paycheck. Gus is doing some things right but it's clear to me that he won't be able to tolerate another guy running the offense, especially if the other guys does it better than he can. 

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Yes.  I know you're a writer, Red.  We all know you're a writer, Red.  We know you're a writer because you make certain to tell us that you're a writer.  If you weren't a writer, I wouldn't have poked you about your choice of words.   

Can't deny the frosh are looking great.  I just want them to have a great leader.  I don't see that right now and all data points to another disappointing season.  

Don't preach to me about the Auburn Creed.  You don't know me.  I'm an Auburn alum and I love my school.  Stooping so low as to try to shame me with The Creed just to get a dig in because you didn't like my post is beneath you.

Lighten up.  I pick on you, but it's because misery loves miserable company.  Pumping sunshine at this juncture is an assault on the senses.

At this point? You mean the point where we head into a bye week after winning an SEC game on the road, with a 170 yard rusher to boot? When we're in the thread of an article where veteran playmakers were stepping up to the mic and praising Gus for getting fired up for them? Yeah, that's a horrible time to pump sunshine. Much better to do so if we lose to TAMU, UGA, or UAT, isn't it?

I mentioned the Creed because you aren't acting like you believe Auburn football can possibly be anything other than 6-6 with a bowl loss to Podunk U. It underscores the point I made about you being a pessimist earlier in the comment. I prefer to look on the brighter side of things. Maybe I'm delusional, but I was there in 94 when Auburn intercepted 3 passes for touchdowns and turned in a miracle against LSU. I was a squalling 10 year old boy begging my father to take me home because I couldn't bear to see my team get beaten like they were. I learned that day that you gotta have faith in your team, even when things look bleak. You don't seem to have gotten that lesson yet.

Yes and no. No because he isn't going anywhere no matter how unhappy people get at the end of the season. His buyout, plus the coaching staff's buyout, is just simply too much especially when you consider you have to hire a whole new coach and staff. Yes in the sense that, in my opinion, he's coaching for his job the rest of this season. If he loses to A&M, he'll have to beat UGA or Bama on the road. If he got a massive extension after beating those two teams for the first time since 2013, I can only imagine the job security he'd have after beating one of them on the road.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ok. You said a guy with new ideas. Chip has those.

If you want a guy who somehow has leverage over Gus, then I'm with the others. Give that guy the headset and the big paycheck. Gus is doing some things right but it's clear to me that he won't be able to tolerate another guy running the offense, especially if the other guys does it better than he can. 

That may be a fair point. My hope is that Malzahn will learn to be a part of the success rather than having to be the totality of any success.

"Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of [our] greatest strength and [our] greatest weakness."
--The Matrix

6 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m not disagreeing with you but our rep nationally is already not great so I’m not sure it would make it that much worse

I think we just sorta don't have a rep at the moment, as we are irrelevent, which is almost as bad. This would be akin to the UT coaching search debacle. It would garner us a really bad spotlight. 

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think we just sorta don't have a rep at the moment, as we are irrelevent, which is almost as bad. This would be akin to the UT coaching search debacle. It would garner us a really bad spotlight. 

People keep saying that but there's no reason to believe that it would happen here and now. 

Archived