Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Okay just going to say this. Jimbo Fisher has won a NC but so did Gene Chizik. With the right support and personnel, you can do a lot but Jimbo left FSU a mess while he was there and when he left. FSU had piss poor offensive line the last year he was there and the team was falling apart. Players were disgusted with him. All this to say, I don't see what people see in Jimbo Fisher.

I also liked Dan Mullen and vouched for him but there is no guarantee he would be a slam dunk here. I did like that he was able to bring Mississippi State to their apex, so it is only logical that he could do more for Auburn. There seems to only be 3 slam dunk hires in college football: Urban, Dabo, and Nick. Everyone else has some sort of risk or con that can be said about them.

And I definitely understand your point. I honestly hesitated before putting Fisher but the fact is that they thought it was a homerun. The fan base and administration seemingly were all in on him and his ability to get more out of aTm than Sumlin had. I also agree on your “big 3”. 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AURealist said:

You liked Dan Mullen?  He's creeps me out.  There's something wrong with a man who never blinks.

Haha I thought he did very well at Mississippi State considering where that program was at when he got them 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Haha I thought he did very well at Mississippi State considering where that program was at when he got them 

Yeah, but we don't even know if he's on the planet legally.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. It's a very short list. 

I've been yapping a lot about the buyout not mattering and us needing a change now and all that, but you're right that we can't make a move unless we feel really good about the new direction we'd be heading in. And that's no guarantee. 

I would feel good in any new direction as long as that direction is away from Gus. He has sucked the life out of this program. If you think there is no buzz and excitement around the program now. Wait till if he goes in to a lame duck season next year with a team less talented than this one. It will get ugly.

3 hours ago, chimes said:

There seems to only be 3 slam dunk hires in college football: Urban, Dabo, and Nick.

What about Patterson or Petersen?  What about Franklin?   What about Oklahoma coach? Harbaugh? Stanford coach? There has never been a slam dunk hire at auburn.   The question everyone should be asking is who would you get to build consistency.   Anyone of the ones I named could build consistent winning teams st Auburn.  Auburn will never, in my opinion, go on a run like Clemson, bama or Ohio State 

8 hours ago, DAG said:

And most people who would ridicule Auburn for making a coaching change if Gus loses the next 3 games aren't very in tuned with Auburn either. So that's why I don't understand why people care what the media or national perception would be. Who cares? And I also don't buy that it would affect the ability of Auburn to get the  interest of suitable candidates.

We send a team to interview a replacement for one coach before the season's over and it gets leaked, then when that falls apart and said head coach goes on a run of winning 13, 9, 11, and 9 games, he gets fired for going 5-7. Then his replacement wins a national championship, but is fired two years later, only to be replaced by his former assistant. That former assistant goes 12-2 his first season, coming within a breath of winning a national championship, takes his team to a New Year's Day bowl game three of the next four seasons, the fourth of which he beats the #1 team in the nation twice in three weeks and has a double digit win total, but then he gets fired the next season? How many "suitable" candidates are going to want to have to operate in that kind of environment?

Furthermore, will the RIGHT candidate be willing to operate in that kind of environment? And make no doubt about it, we NEED the right candidate, because he's going to have to compete with Saban, Smart, Swinney, Mullen, and Pruitt (just to name a few) for recruits every year, in a state where 65% of the population is against him, and no matter how well he does, he's only one misstep from being thrown to the wolves. How many "suitable" candidates can live with that kind of pressure before they melt down? And how often do you want to have to keep going back to the coaching well to find a NEW "suitable" candidate?

4 hours ago, chimes said:

This has probably been mentioned numerous times already but who could we hire at the end of this season that would reasonably guarantee more success than Gus over the next 5 years? I’ve been one of Gus’ biggest critics for years now but wouldn’t we need to KNOW that the next guy would get consistently better results? Especially considering the $ that’s at stake. 

Exactly, Chimes. This was what I was getting to on tbe last page.  The next hire has to be on the money and there will be a lot of pressure on tbe next hire if Gus is bought out. If we buy out Gus, stretch our resources out even thinner, and then get stuck with an even more inept coach, then we’d be in whole other world of hurt. Some may want to make that gamble, but I’m not that type.

19 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Exactly, Chimes. This was what I was getting to on tbe last page.  The next hire has to be on the money and there will be a lot of pressure on tbe next hire if Gus is bought out. If we buy out Gus, stretch our resources out even thinner, and then get stuck with an even more inept coach, then we’d be in whole other world of hurt. Some may want to make that gamble, but I’m not that type.

Even if the next hire is just as inept then we’ve made a mistake 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

What about Patterson or Petersen?  What about Franklin?   What about Oklahoma coach? Harbaugh? Stanford coach? There has never been a slam dunk hire at auburn.   The question everyone should be asking is who would you get to build consistency.   Anyone of the ones I named could build consistent winning teams st Auburn.  Auburn will never, in my opinion, go on a run like Clemson, bama or Ohio State 

For some reason you quoted me but I didn’t say it. I do agree, however, that the 3 quoted look to be on a whole different level than the ones you mentioned. To be clear though, I’d be 100% happy with any on your list 

Oklahoma, Georgia, Clemson were all in the playoffs last year.  All 3 hired an assistant to be head coach.  This path seems much more likely to me considering Gus buyout. I don't think Gus is getting fired though. 

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol now come on. That is what you are worried about our reputation? News flash. We do not have a good one on a national scale as it is. No one really does unless you are a blue blood grandfathered in or new money winning consistently like Clemson now. If someone deserves to be fired they should be regardless. We cannot worry what people think about us. Especially when it already is not very highly as it is.

Disagree. Just look at Tennessee, dude. They are historically the 2nd best team in the SEC. They have 100k stadium, tons of money, and no in state competition.

Yet, all their meddling and drama have tainted them to the point where they had to BEG head coaches to take the job. Steele turned them down, NC State's coach turned them down, Brohm chose to stay at Purdue, David Cutcliffe chose to stay at DUKE! 

This stuff matters in the coaching world. Who could we realistically convince to come to Auburn, when they would have to fight off UGA, Alabama, AND their very own boosters? 

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

What about Patterson or Petersen?  What about Franklin?   What about Oklahoma coach? Harbaugh? Stanford coach? There has never been a slam dunk hire at auburn.   The question everyone should be asking is who would you get to build consistency.   Anyone of the ones I named could build consistent winning teams st Auburn.  

No offense to you, and to the school that I support, but why would any of those coaches  willingly leave their CFP contending schools to go to Auburn? Patterson would be the most likely of them all, but he’s already spurned us once and he’s already got a statue at TCU. 

3 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Oklahoma, Georgia, Clemson were all in the playoffs last year.  All 3 hired an assistant to be head coach.  This path seems much more likely to me considering Gus buyout. I don't think Gus is getting fired though. 

Pretty sure Dabo was just a WR coach too. He was only originally supposed to be the interim coach though. 

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

For one, I agree we should get all the big names to tell us no, first. But they of course will, especially if they consider our competition and the fact that we just canned a coach for 32 million after 6 straight winning seasons. 

Secondly, I have never liked the idea of putting limits on Auburn football. Or any major college football team. Nobody thought Florida would ever become a powerhouse, as they were a historically mediocre team up until the late 80s. Same goes for Clemson Oregon, Baylor, Miami and Florida State. It just takes one right coaching move to turn a program into a dynasty. I think we'll see a consistent powerhouse Auburn in our lifetimes. 

26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Disagree. Just look at Tennessee, dude. They are historically the 2nd best team in the SEC. They have 100k stadium, tons of money, and no in state competition.

Yet, all their meddling and drama have tainted them to the point where they had to BEG head coaches to take the job. Steele turned them down, NC State's coach turned them down, Brohm chose to stay at Purdue, David Cutcliffe chose to stay at DUKE! 

This stuff matters in the coaching world. Who could we realistically convince to come to Auburn, when they would have to fight off UGA, Alabama, AND their very own boosters? 

We have had way way way more turmoil and self destruction in our athletic department through the years than rocky top and we still have had some amazingly high highs. As bad as Chizik and Gus are/were they were never even close to as bad as freaking derek dooley and Lyle. Omgsh compared to those 2 we hired pete carroll and urban meyer. That is where they messed up more than anything. Also we are a much better job than Rocky Top and have been for some time. We have a better recruiting landscape at AU that makes it easier to recruit here. A coach would see a extremely talented team and want to come here. The coaches KNOW how talented our team is and how much gus has squandered it. We would be the only big job to open up as the landscape is now and have our pick.  LOL steele did not turn them down. GET REAL. That is his dream job. And who they ended up with was a good hire imo. They were going to hire Mike Leach before their old AD got fired. That would of been a hell of a hire. Especially given the circumstances.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We have had way way way more turmoil and self destruction in our athletic department through the years than rocky top and we still have had some amazingly high highs. As bad as Chizik and Gus are/were they were never even close to as bad as freaking derek dooley and Lyle. Omgsh compared to those 2 we hired pete carroll and urban meyer. That is where they messed up more than anything. Also we are a much better job than Rocky Top and have been for some time. We have a better recruiting landscape at AU that makes it easier to recruit here. A coach would see a extremely talented team and want to come here. The coaches KNOW how talented our team is and how much gus has squandered it. We would be the only big job to open up as the landscape is now and have our pick.  LOL steele did not turn them down. GET REAL. That is his dream job. And who they ended up with was a good hire imo. They were going to hire Mike Leach before their old AD got fired. That would of been a hell of a hire. Especially given the circumstances.

In the past 10 years we have absolutely not had as much turmoil as Rocky Top. Kiffin leaving in the night? Dooley? Butch Jones? Last year's coaching search debacle. Nah, no way. Tennessee has been the strangest situation in college football since Fulmer left. 

25 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

In the past 10 years we have absolutely not had as much turmoil as Rocky Top. Kiffin leaving in the night? Dooley? Butch Jones? Last year's coaching search debacle. Nah, no way. Tennessee has been the strangest situation in college football since Fulmer left. 

Btw just because we have had a much better record than Rocky Top and have had higher highs does not mean there has not been less inner turmoil than them. We self destruct with the best of them. Remember when Gus and Jacobs had a tug of war play out in the press over OC job opening where Chip Lindsey was hired? We hired a 5-19 coach. /thread. Even UT never did that. AND LOL YES I know chizik ended up having a decent record here. We done here? Ok great. Lets go be fam and brodies now!!!! lol WOOOO!!! LETS GOOOO!!!!

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We hired a 5-19 coach. /thread. We done here.

Which delivered a NC to Auburn. Not to mention we have been more frequently ranked and much more relevant than Tennessee has been since Mt. Cody’s blocked extra point. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Edit: I’ll take Chizik over Dooley and Mr. five star heart any day. 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

We send a team to interview a replacement for one coach before the season's over and it gets leaked, then when that falls apart and said head coach goes on a run of winning 13, 9, 11, and 9 games, he gets fired for going 5-7. Then his replacement wins a national championship, but is fired two years later, only to be replaced by his former assistant. That former assistant goes 12-2 his first season, coming within a breath of winning a national championship, takes his team to a New Year's Day bowl game three of the next four seasons, the fourth of which he beats the #1 team in the nation twice in three weeks and has a double digit win total, but then he gets fired the next season? How many "suitable" candidates are going to want to have to operate in that kind of environment?

Furthermore, will the RIGHT candidate be willing to operate in that kind of environment? And make no doubt about it, we NEED the right candidate, because he's going to have to compete with Saban, Smart, Swinney, Mullen, and Pruitt (just to name a few) for recruits every year, in a state where 65% of the population is against him, and no matter how well he does, he's only one misstep from being thrown to the wolves. How many "suitable" candidates can live with that kind of pressure before they melt down? And how often do you want to have to keep going back to the coaching well to find a NEW "suitable" candidate?

The good thing about it you will probably get your wish. And we will probably be on our third offensive coordinator in seven years,  so let’s hope that your guy makes the suitable hire for the success of Auburn in the future.

Otherwise, everything else is continued speculation and I am just done with it at this point haha.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

We hired a 5-19 coach. /thread. We done here.

Who won a national title. Our program has won more SEC titles in the past 15 years than anyone besides Bama. We are absolutely nowhere close to the dumpster fire UT has been since Fulmer left. Please don't pick this hill to die on.

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Who won a national title. Our program has won more SEC titles in the past 15 years than anyone besides Bama. We are absolutely nowhere close to the dumpster fire UT has been since Fulmer left. Please don't pick this hill to die on.

I know it does not reflect in our record but WE SUCCEED IN SPITE of ourselves. Yes we have had more success than rocky top but that does not mean there has not been more turmoil behind the scenes. It truly is amazing the success we have had. This goes back several more years for us than Rocky tops turmoil. WE gucci with agreeing on that point? good! Good food. Good meat. GOOD GOLLY LETS GO EAT! lol.

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Which delivered a NC to Auburn. Not to mention we have been more frequently ranked and much more relevant than Tennessee has been since Mt. Cody’s blocked extra point. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Edit: I’ll take Chizik over Dooley and Mr. five star heart any day. 

I agree on the chizik over butch and Dooley but we had one of the greatest players of the decade.

I think if chizik had had two top notch coordinators here, he would’ve still been the. Coach 

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I know it does not reflect in our record but WE SUCCEED IN SPITE of ourselves. Yes we have had more success than rocky top but that does not mean there has not been more turmoil behind the scenes. It truly is amazing the success we have had. This goes back several more years for us than Rocky tops turmoil. WE gucci with agreeing on that point? good! Good food. Good meat. GOOD GOLLY LETS GO EAT! lol.

Hey Auburn has been on a wild ride since Dye, no argument at all. My original point is Tennessee is an unparalleled wasteland, and it all happened recently due to behind the scenes turmoil. We could become the same if we aren't careful.

Archived