Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I agree on the chizik over butch and Dooley but we had one of the greatest players of the decade.

I think if chizik had had two top notch coordinators here, he would’ve still been the. Coach 

Agreed. Chiz certainly cannot take credit. He and Cam did guide Auburn through some adversity pretty  well though. 

We have had a mixed bag of seasons but our lows haven’t been consistently Tennessee low. 😆 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Hey Auburn has been on a wild ride since Dye, no argument at all. My original point is Tennessee is an unparalleled wasteland, and it all happened recently due to behind the scenes turmoil. We could become the same if we aren't careful.

I trust Allen Greene. He has given me no reason not to with the way he handled the Pearl situation and got Leath to step TF back.  UT has had some clowns recently as AD. Worse than even JAR JAR. I think AG would make a heck of a hire. Don't you?

On 10/23/2018 at 11:45 PM, Mikey said:

First, I'm not an insider. However, there's a lot more to being the university president than the football team. Maybe if he were the general manager of a pro team and his decisions kept on being poor he'd be fired. But Leath is not the GM of a pro team, he's the president of a major university. His job involves a lot more than just football.

Yes but his job does include being smart with how he spends AU’s money. I think he definitely shows no sign of being a good steward with finances for AU. Would you have been ok if he went out and bought a 50 million dollar plane that we didn’t need ? I wouldn’t and neither am I happy about wasting money on a buyout that was total ridiculous and completely uncalled for. No way Gus deserved a buyout of that degree. Nothing in his resume justifies it. Should have offered a rais to 6 million with a 12 million buyout and called his bluff. No way was he going to The pigs.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The good thing about it you will probably get your wish. And we will probably be on our third offensive coordinator in seven years,  so let’s hope that your guy makes the suitable hire for the success of Auburn in the future.

Otherwise, everything else is continued speculation and I am just done with it at this point haha.

To be fair, the only reason Gus Malzahn is "my guy" is that he's the head coach at Auburn. I defended Tuberville to the end, too, though I did want Chizik gone (and I thought Malzahn was the best hire, even though he'd only had one season of head coaching under his belt). Furthermore, a big part of the reason I do defend Gus so much is that I was at both the UGA and UAT games last year, and that was such a spectacular way to end the regular season that I can forgive the SECCG and Peach Bowl. Now, if we don't do something to turn the season on a dime this year, then next year had better be good, because I WON'T be satisfied with mediocre then, even breaking in a new QB. I may not think Gus should be fired (mainly because he'll still be owed more than 25 million in his buyout), but more likely I'll be advocating for a new coach to come in and breathe life into all the talent Gus and company have recruited.

Hopefully, I won't find out what my feelings will be like in that situation, because hopefully, we'll finish this season out well and have a great year in 2019, but you're absolutely right that it's all speculation as far as what the future will bring.

18 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

good god, this could be a worse team next year...Oregon is gonna be one year better from a top 20ish type season, A&M is gonna be one year better from only losing to the two best teams in the nation, Florida looks like FLORIDA again, LSU looks like the best tigers in the conference again....We could be s*** outta luck not only wins wise, but coach wise. Alot of names will be rumored this offseason I believe. 

plus we'll have to depend on Gatewood (who I personally like but supposedly the coaches dont), Willis (pretty much the same thing as Joey), Cord (cmon now), and Bo, who's frame could get him obliterated behind this line quite frankly 

Yes the conference looks to be shaping up again, which will be a relief, ironically. We're better off tit-for-tatting each other as a conference than just chasing the turds and the leg-humpers. But our guy, who should've been killing the rebuilders all these years, will be more exposed than ever. You all think it's hot this year--- wait til next year, lol.

Gus needs to go the JUCO ranks and bring in a couple of OTs & OGs and a Center. Infuse some life into the OL with JUCO talent in that we will need all the help we can get on our OL for 2019.  I think I will go out and research the JUCO ranks and send my findings to JB & Chip so they can talk Gus into bringing them aboard. Any thoughts on this?

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I do have question tho @chimes are you the old school chimes or the new one? Me and old school chimes go way back. Need to know if this is my boy or not

Yeah man it’s me. Took a break for awhile and had some trouble accessing my old account when I came back so I just created a new one. Good to “see” you brother 

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes but his job does include being smart with how he spends AU’s money. I think he definitely shows no sign of being a good steward with finances for AU. Would you have been ok if he went out and bought a 50 million dollar plane that we didn’t need ? I wouldn’t and neither am I happy about wasting money on a buyout that was total ridiculous and completely uncalled for. No way Gus deserved a buyout of that degree. Nothing in his resume justifies it. Should have offered a rais to 6 million with a 12 million buyout and called his bluff. No way was he going to The pigs.

What Gus got was the going rate, and that going rate is even higher now. I can promise you that an offer of $6 million salary with a buyout of 12 million would have had him at Arky in a heartbeat. We may not like it, but that's the current market. Leath did the minimum of what he had to do to keep Gus at Auburn. Hindsight 11 months later is 20-20, but you are talking about a coach who was an injury to KJ away from the SEC championship and a slot in the playoff at the time that deal was done. Gus got what coaches performing at that level get. No more, no less.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

What Gus got was the going rate, and that going rate is even higher now. I can promise you that an offer of $6 million salary with a buyout of 12 million would have had him at Arky in a heartbeat. We may not like it, but that's the current market. Leath did the minimum of what he had to do to keep Gus at Auburn. Hindsight 11 months later is 20-20, but you are talking about a coach who was an injury to KJ away from the SEC championship and a slot in the playoff at the time that deal was done. Gus got what coaches performing at that level get. No more, no less.

Gus deserved an extension, but when he pitted us versus Arkansas we should have called his bluff. Go ahead. If you are the type of person who considers leaving Auburn for a place like Arkansas then maybe we shouldn't entrust the program to you.

Not exactly a Bear Bryant fan, but there's a story about him recruiting a kid from Birmingham back in the day. The kid told Bear on an in home visit it was down to Bama and Vanderbilt. Bear shook his hand, told him "good luck at Vandy" and left. Bear later explained to the assistant he had with him on the visit, "if he is the type to be torn between us and Vanderbilt, we don't want him." 

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Gus needs to go the JUCO ranks and bring in a couple of OTs & OGs and a Center. Infuse some life into the OL with JUCO talent in that we will need all the help we can get on our OL for 2019.  I think I will go out and research the JUCO ranks and send my findings to JB & Chip so they can talk Gus into bringing them aboard. Any thoughts on this?

The OTs have not played that poorly. Nick Brahms is a freshman, so growing pains are expected, but this time on the field for him is invaluable to his being an asset going forward. The guards, however, have been underwhelming. I could see Calvin Ashley moved permanently to guard next year to shore up one side, but hopefully a full year under their belts will make a difference for the guys we have there already. 

In other words, I don't think going the JUCO/grad transfer route is the wise move here. There's no guarantee that those players will be any better, and we really need to focus on finding incoming freshmen on the line (we do have one 4 star guard, at least). We need young OTs for the future, but JUCOs aren't going to help with that. Both starting tackles are back next year, and again, they haven't played badly. We just need depth, and a quick fix from JUCO isn't going to help much, IMO.

Just gotta remember, on offensive line, especially, experience matters a great deal, and our guys are getting it this year. They all return next year, so we can expect them to be better, both individually and as a unit.

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gus deserved an extension, but when he pitted us versus Arkansas we should have called his bluff.

It wasn't a bluff. At that moment there were three SEC schools looking for a new head coach, and who knows how many elsewhere. It was a seller's market with big demand and short supply. Gus got the market rate, no more. We paid what it would have taken to get him had he not been already at Auburn, if it helps you to look at it that way.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

It wasn't a bluff. At that moment there were three SEC schools looking for a new head coach, and who knows how many elsewhere. It was a seller's market with big demand and short supply. Gus got the market rate, no more. We paid what it would have taken to get him had he not been already at Auburn, if it helps you to look at it that way.

Strangely, that doesn't help at all.

36 minutes ago, AURealist said:

He should have been told to kick rocks. If that is what it took for him to be loyal to the team that gave him a shot at being an SEC coach.....bye bye

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Leath was out of his league negotiating the deal. Only Megyn Kelly has a better deal than Malzahn.

35 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Leath was out of his league negotiating the deal. Only Megyn Kelly has a better deal than Malzahn.

We still have NO proof Leath negotiated anything. If he was smart, being new to this University, he had plenty of legal experts who hopefully knew how to deal with agent/coach contract negotiations. They were telling him if it was a good deal, or if they worked with the agent on ironing out the contract.

But Leath only gave the go ahead based on someone else's recommendation. And the BOT didn't have to agree, but did.

So i think everyone thought this was the only way keep GM...

I am willing to change if someone can tell me where Leath did this on his own...and if he did, he was stupid for doing it.

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

We still have NO proof Leath negotiated anything. If he was smart, being new to this University, he had plenty of legal experts who hopefully knew how to deal with agent/coach contract negotiations. They were telling him if it was a good deal, or if they worked with the agent on ironing out the contract.

But Leath only gave the go ahead based on someone else's recommendation. And the BOT didn't have to agree, but did.

So i think everyone thought this was the only way keep GM...

I am willing to change if someone can tell me where Leath did this on his own...and if he did, he was stupid for doing it.

Well nobody is going to admit doing anything stupid freely. Either way, nothing gets by without someone signing off to it and it was a ridiculous notion to have such a big buy out.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I do think it was a bluff. And even if it wasn't, let him go to a lesser school if that's where his head is at. Like another poster said, kick rocks.

22 hours ago, Mikey said:

Name me another coach that got a buy out like that. Heck Saben is only ten million. 

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

We should have let Arky wasted their money instead of wasting ours. You will see by next year. 

On 10/25/2018 at 11:43 AM, chimes said:

And I definitely understand your point. I honestly hesitated before putting Fisher but the fact is that they thought it was a homerun. The fan base and administration seemingly were all in on him and his ability to get more out of aTm than Sumlin had. I also agree on your “big 3”. 

You have to put Peterson in there too. 

Just now, alexava said:

You have to put Peterson in there too. 

Yeah, that argument could definitely be made. Though he hasn’t had the level of success as the other 3, he’s turned his last two schools into nationally relevant programs with very little resources. Peterson might actually be the most impressive name on the list due to his ability to do more with less.

8 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

This team and coaching staf reminds me a lot of the 2012 team and coaches.

Well they do dress like the team from 2012 so there's that. 

3 minutes ago, chimes said:

Yeah, that argument could definitely be made. Though he hasn’t had the level of success as the other 3, he’s turned his last two schools into nationally relevant programs with very little resources. Peterson might actually be the most impressive name on the list due to his ability to do more with less.

I would or used to have petrino in this discussion but have been cooler on him lately. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I would or used to have petrino in this discussion but have been cooler on him lately. 

Yep. If I had a list of “never going to happen but wouldn’t it be incredible” coaches, I think it’d probably be 1a Peterson and 1b Dabo. I’m also higher on James Franklin than most here.

Archived