Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

20 hours ago, AUFriction said:

My opinion, and I know people will disagree, is that it is irrelevant at this point. Gus is protected by his buyout. He may have been coaching for his job last week, but he has now secured us almost guaranteed bowl eligibility. Given his buyout, I don’t think anything short of losing the team is a true threat to his job this year. However, a similar season next year would almost definitely get him fired.

i believe you are right. since gus won at ol miss he seems more relaxed. i am betting he stays as long as he does not lose to liberty. i also believe he is read the riot act after the season and told stuff like this season would not happen again.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

At this point? You mean the point where we head into a bye week after winning an SEC game on the road, with a 170 yard rusher to boot? When we're in the thread of an article where veteran playmakers were stepping up to the mic and praising Gus for getting fired up for them? Yeah, that's a horrible time to pump sunshine. Much better to do so if we lose to TAMU, UGA, or UAT, isn't it?

I mentioned the Creed because you aren't acting like you believe Auburn football can possibly be anything other than 6-6 with a bowl loss to Podunk U. It underscores the point I made about you being a pessimist earlier in the comment. I prefer to look on the brighter side of things. Maybe I'm delusional, but I was there in 94 when Auburn intercepted 3 passes for touchdowns and turned in a miracle against LSU. I was a squalling 10 year old boy begging my father to take me home because I couldn't bear to see my team get beaten like they were. I learned that day that you gotta have faith in your team, even when things look bleak. You don't seem to have gotten that lesson yet.

You're taking this conversation far too seriously for an adult.  Maybe you haven't really changed that much since that day in '94.  

The Auburn Creed doesn't mention having faith in the football team's head coach.  Why do your persist in twisting it to your own ends?  

I didn't say anything about 6-6.  Are sure you're trying to hector the right guy?

50 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

It was late and I'm getting tired of everyone acting like Auburn has a disease. There's plenty to look forward to.

Like basketball

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think we just sorta don't have a rep at the moment, as we are irrelevent, which is almost as bad. This would be akin to the UT coaching search debacle. It would garner us a really bad spotlight. 

Auburn still has a negative rep among a lot of the national media whether it’s due to old ncaa issues or perceived buying  of Cam or racism or whatever. If we brought in a new coach and he started Winning big all would be forgotten pretty quick. But lord help us if the new guy sucked because then we would take a major beating in the media 

59 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

"...AURealist..." Perhaps 'AUPessimist' is the word you were going for?

No, sophistry is not the word I was going for. I'm a writer. If I'd wanted to use that word, I would have. If you don't think my postulation is conceivable, then you need to go back and read the part of the Creed about BELIEVING in Auburn, because you sure as hell don't seem to do so.

I know it's frustrating. I've been tearing my hair out about it, too. But refusing to allow rays of light to pierce the dark cloud that hangs over this season doesn't do anything to endear you to those of us who want to look for the silver lining.

And yes, the future is still bright for this team. If you've been watching the play of the freshmen and can't see that, you're flat out blind.

if we need gus to secure the recruiting class we are building then so be it. this coming class as well as the last one are going to be really special.we got some really special kids last year and there are more this year. but that is just me and i would rather not argue about it. especially with you debbie downers. i am not happy with gus but good grief the point has been made over and over. write the ad and the pres if it means that much. you would be much better served than making people angry all the time.

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Auburn still has a negative rep among a lot of the national media whether it’s due to old ncaa issues or perceived buying  of Cam or racism or whatever. If we brought in a new coach and he started Winning big all would be forgotten pretty quick. But lord help us if the new guy sucked because then we would take a major beating in the media 

Thing is, Gus is our current biggest problem with the media. They dislike him because he's boring and cold and doesn't give them anything to work with. Greene and Pearl are doing what they can but our football program is a damned chore for the beat guys to cover. 

Also, we don't really move the meter nationally. People are still butthurt about Cam because he was a Heisman winner, those 2010 games were appointment television, and he is still very, very visible in the NFL, and sometimes in negative ways. Otherwise, they don't really care that much about Auburn. There's definitely no national obsession with Gus's contract. I'm sure folks around the southeast will have some laughs, but like y'all said, they're already laughing. 

Outside perception is one of the absolute last things we should factor in with this decision. 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

You never went to Auburn University, did you? You DO realize there's more than football that goes into being president, right?

And I didn't say 7-6 at best this season. I believe I actually predicted 8-4. Maybe sharpen those reading comprehension skills, hmm?

I actually look at it as the opposite. We should have never needlessly thrown away that amount of money on FOOTBALL.

Sorry for some knee-jerking, just frustrated by this season.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Thing is, Gus is our current biggest problem with the media. They dislike him because he's boring and cold and doesn't give them anything to work with. Greene and Pearl are doing what they can but our football program is a damned chore for the beat guys to cover. 

Also, we don't really move the meter nationally. People are still butthurt about Cam because he was a Heisman winner, those 2010 games were appointment television, and he is still very, very visible in the NFL, and sometimes in negative ways. Otherwise, they don't really care that much about Auburn. There's definitely no national obsession with Gus's contract. I'm sure folks around the southeast will have some laughs, but like y'all said, they're already laughing. 

Outside perception is one of the absolute last things we should factor in with this decision. 

Agreed. And if anything our rep is to fall on our face whenever we have high expectations and Gus is responsible for some of that

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

if we need gus to secure the recruiting class we are building then so be it. this coming class as well as the last one are going to be really special.we got some really special kids last year and there are more this year. but that is just me and i would rather not argue about it. especially with you debbie downers. i am not happy with gus but good grief the point has been made over and over. write the ad and the pres if it means that much. you would be much better served than making people angry all the time.

Uh.... 'fifty?

Did you mean to quote Red?  He's a sunshine guy.  

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Uh.... 'fifty?

Did you mean to quote Red?  He's a sunshine guy.  

no. what part of my post did you not understand? i am pretty sure i was clear.

Just to clarify, I think we should give him ONE MORE YEAR. We'll look better, we'll have less money to pay him, and we're naturally due for a better pool of coaching candidates next year.

Ok.  :thumbsup:

i am just playing real. no harm intended. me and red went to school together tho and we both stay at the holiday inn.........um in separate rooms. waves

15 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

If Auburn does not up their game when recruiting offensive line, all the skill position talent will be wasted. 

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i am just playing real. no harm intended. me and red went to school together tho and we both stay at the holiday inn.........um in separate rooms. waves

S'all good.  

No need to explain your relationship.  These are new times.  We're all friends here and we don't judge.  ;)

Just now, Auburn Kev said:

If Auburn does not up their game when recruiting offensive line, all the skill position talent will be wasted. 

i would be willing to bet a hundred dollars to a doughnut they have been working on it most of this year.

S'all good.  

No need to explain your relationship.  These are new times.  We're all friends here and we don't judge.  ;)

the hell you say......lol. i judge folks all the time. but i do try to have fun on here.i miss the back and forth when it is done in a good nature...........oh and i have been wrong about a few folks on here. some i think stink do but there are a few i have been terribly wrong about. and yes i should not judge but it is just part of the game to me on sports boards. plus i am a crazy cat anyway............

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i would be willing to bet a hundred dollars to a doughnut they have been working on it most of this year.

They haven't been succeeding. Change is needed. And, on this specific point, I am not talking about firing Gus. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

They haven't been succeeding. Change is needed. And, on this specific point, I am not talking about firing Gus. 

the mistake is letting hand halfazz the line while trying to improve the o. but that is just my opinion. but i bet we are talking juco kids pretty regular. they say they are working on recruiting so i bet they are going to see those as well as the high school kids.

No I do not think that Gus is coaching for his job. Maybe he should be (according to most), maybe not (according to few).

I think that all of these rumors about certain people pulling together millions to get rid of him are fabricated. Most AU fans including myself are not happy with the product on the field but the reality is that we are stuck with this coach right now. The team is still fighting and there is something to be said for that... although they do look lost and discombobulated. I think this is a mixture of terrible coaching, terrible QB play, and terrible OL play. There has also been some incredibly bad luck (look at the MSU game). maybe this is due to the good luck we had in 2013. haha

In the end it is the coach's responsibility to recruit the right players for the system, coach them up, and call the right plays. I do not feel that this has happened. But the new contract basically voids any chance of us canning Gus right now so I am going to pull for the team to win like I always do and hope for the best.  

The real question is: If there was no buyout, would we fire Gus if we lost to TAM?

Side Note: If we lost to liberty of course that would change everything. 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The real question is: If there was no buyout, would we fire Gus if we lost to TAM?

He might not've made it to the Ole Miss game if that were the case. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Like basketball

Go figure the sport where we actually have a proven winner is the sport we are looking forward to. What a novel concept. WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL FOREVER!!! It is so easy to root for him and the basketball team when he wins AND has the personality he does.

Keeping Gus is pointless. We would be putting off the inevitable. Because if you thought this season was bad........ Wait till next year when we lose a lot of defensive talent that has been saving our butts, our OL will still suck and have the same problems. Plus we will most likely be starting and breaking in a new QB. It would be like when LSU was just about to fire Les and then got cold feet at the last second because they almost got jimbo but it fell apart. Then of course he loses to Gus  at the start of the next season and is gone the next day. I absolutely see that happening to us next season. Gus is done. It is just a matter if it is this season or next. I PRAY we just rip the band aid off and do it now. At least when we struggle next year we will have the hope of a new coach. We all know Gus is not going to change. If he was going to he would of done so already. IDK how anyone could watch the product on the field this year and be like YAAAAAAAAH!!!  WE ARE SO WELL COACHED! Lets run that back next year. All Gus does is coach DOWN our 4 and 5 star talent and waste them.

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Keeping Gus is pointless. We would be putting off the inevitable. Because if you thought this season was bad........ Wait till next year when we lose a lot of defensive talent that has been saving our butts, our OL will still suck and have the same problems. Plus we will most likely be starting and breaking in a new QB. It would be like when LSU was just about to fire Les and then got cold feet at the last second because they almost got jimbo but it fell apart. Then of course he loses to Gus  at the start of the next season and is gone the next day. I absolutely see that happening to us next season. Gus is done. It is just a matter if it is this season or next. I PRAY we just rip the band aid off and do it now. At least when we struggle next year we will have the hope of a new coach. We all know Gus is not going to change. If he was going to he would of done so already. IDK how anyone could watch the product on the field this year and be like YAAAAAAAAH!!!  WE ARE SO WELL COACHED! Lets run that back next year. All Gus does is coach DOWN our 4 and 5 star talent and waste them.

Not.

Gonna.

Happen.

This.

Season.

Sorry.

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He might not've made it to the Ole Miss game if that were the case. 

This is true. 

28 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think that all of these rumors about certain people pulling together millions to get rid of him are fabricated. 

I kinda agree. If not fabricated, maybe exaggerated. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Just to clarify, I think we should give him ONE MORE YEAR. We'll look better, we'll have less money to pay him, and we're naturally due for a better pool of coaching candidates next year.

All of this. Plus, it will give Gus his chance to see his project (Gatewood) through. 😆

Archived