Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

58 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Not.

Gonna.

Happen.

This.

Season.

Sorry.

wetr.gif

ww.gif

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AURealist said:

You're taking this conversation far too seriously for an adult.  Maybe you haven't really changed that much since that day in '94.  

The Auburn Creed doesn't mention having faith in the football team's head coach.  Why do your persist in twisting it to your own ends?  

I didn't say anything about 6-6.  Are sure you're trying to hector the right guy?

I do apologize if I've gotten you mixed up with those predetermining that we're only going to win the Liberty game from here on out, but it seemed to fit your argument. I do seem to remember you lambasting me for "speculating" that we could go 3-1 down the stretch, but maybe that wasn't you, either. If not, I apologize. But that's what I mean about believing in Auburn: in our ability to beat both of our biggest rivals when they're ranked #1 in the country; in our ability to rise from a thus far mediocre season and salvage the best of it. To believe that the team can find a spark, even this late in the year, and become the force they were predicted to be after beating Washington in the season opener. Not having faith in the coach, but having belief in the team as a whole. We showed it down the stretch last year. Why not again this year?

And that is my ultimate beef: leaving no room for the possibility of that which may seem improbable. That this season is already in the tank, Gus Malzahn sucks, and we might as well just pack it in and accept that we're not going to finish any better than 7-6, if we're lucky. I fully recognize the possibility that we could finish 6-7. But I also keep in mind that it's still possible to finish 10-3. It would take a lot of things coming together perfectly, sure, but it's possible.

As for how much I've changed since 94, I'm not at all the same person, and not just because of my age. I was riding my four-wheeler in July of 97 without a helmet on when I got sideswiped by a pickup truck and knocked into a two week coma. The miracle that brought me back literally years before I was supposed to be functional was Auburn. My parents had bought season tickets to the games that year so I could go to my first Iron Bowl. I don't remember this, but they tell me when I was in Healthsouth rehabilitation, every time the doctor walked in the room, the first words out of my lips were, "Can I go to the Auburn games?" The doctor used my passion to push me through the process, and I progressed far more quickly than anyone expected. I missed less than 9 weeks of school, and not a single home game that year (Dameyune Craig's senior season, if you recall). But I was never the same rambunctious kid that I had been before. I withdrew into a shell, unable to communicate properly with my peers for fear of their unending ridicule. That's when I started writing poetry, because I had no other way to vent.

And still, to this day, I hang on every second of Auburn football games. More recently I've gotten better about not allowing the season to dictate how my fall went (probably has something to do with my little girl being born 3 and a half years ago)...but it still gets under my skin for Auburn people to be bashing the team, including the coach, especially when there IS precedent for a turnaround. No, I'm not the same kid who was crying for his dad to let him leave so he didn't have to watch, even though the lesson learned is still burned in my data banks. However, there is still a part of me that is constantly optimistic about the next Auburn game, no matter what, no matter the odds. I'm the guy who got laughed out of the room at the Montgomery Advertiser (was writing freelance) for daring suggest that Auburn could knock off Bama in 08 if things came together right.

And as much as I know I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to my beloved Auburn Tigers, it is utterly baffling to me when Auburn men and women can't see the possibilities I see and embrace them, rather than rejecting optimism and declaring themselves "realists" because they choose the negative view, even when there is such a recent layout of how quickly a season can turn around (with the same coaching staff, no less). You'll have to excuse me if my exuberance comes across so palpably, because this is where I am at my most serious: putting words in type. This is where I fight my battles. This is where I do everything I can to rally the downtrodden troops to belief that we still need to do our part in making Jordan-Hare Stadium the most intimidating atmosphere in the college football world, just like we did last November. Because when I hear people talking about not buying tickets and not showing up so as to deliver a message to the powers that be, I tend to get pretty serious about it.

worst possible scenario - 

Gus swaps  OCs off season and gets two more years to figure out how to work with an OC b/c he made a swap.

For all those saying, "the media will laugh at us for firing a coach after a contract extension,"  you care more about what people think versus the kids ON THIS TEAM?   Just let the talent be marginalized and let them transfer?   Really?  

I think we have seen the best of Gus or what he can do.  He can win when his back is against the wall, but nobody can live that way. 

He has been our HC for years now and hasn't figured out how to:

1.  accept any responsibility for a bad game plan - have you heard him say, "this on me" during a presser? (I recall this once, I think.)

2.  really allow an OC the autonomy to put in a  system or the ability to put in a complete game plan

3. develop a highly recruited quarterback (or any qb I guess)

That and his below .500 record against our rivals is enough.   Laugh at me, but Gus can do a lot more damage long term if he stays a couple more years.

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I do apologize if I've gotten you mixed up with those predetermining that we're only going to win the Liberty game from here on out, but it seemed to fit your argument. I do seem to remember you lambasting me for "speculating" that we could go 3-1 down the stretch, but maybe that wasn't you, either. If not, I apologize. But that's what I mean about believing in Auburn: in our ability to beat both of our biggest rivals when they're ranked #1 in the country; in our ability to rise from a thus far mediocre season and salvage the best of it. To believe that the team can find a spark, even this late in the year, and become the force they were predicted to be after beating Washington in the season opener. Not having faith in the coach, but having belief in the team as a whole. We showed it down the stretch last year. Why not again this year?

And that is my ultimate beef: leaving no room for the possibility of that which may seem improbable. That this season is already in the tank, Gus Malzahn sucks, and we might as well just pack it in and accept that we're not going to finish any better than 7-6, if we're lucky. I fully recognize the possibility that we could finish 6-7. But I also keep in mind that it's still possible to finish 10-3. It would take a lot of things coming together perfectly, sure, but it's possible.

As for how much I've changed since 94, I'm not at all the same person, and not just because of my age. I was riding my four-wheeler in July of 97 without a helmet on when I got sideswiped by a pickup truck and knocked into a two week coma. The miracle that brought me back literally years before I was supposed to be functional was Auburn. My parents had bought season tickets to the games that year so I could go to my first Iron Bowl. I don't remember this, but they tell me when I was in Healthsouth rehabilitation, every time the doctor walked in the room, the first words out of my lips were, "Can I go to the Auburn games?" The doctor used my passion to push me through the process, and I progressed far more quickly than anyone expected. I missed less than 9 weeks of school, and not a single home game that year (Dameyune Craig's senior season, if you recall). But I was never the same rambunctious kid that I had been before. I withdrew into a shell, unable to communicate properly with my peers for fear of their unending ridicule. That's when I started writing poetry, because I had no other way to vent.

And still, to this day, I hang on every second of Auburn football games. More recently I've gotten better about not allowing the season to dictate how my fall went (probably has something to do with my little girl being born 3 and a half years ago)...but it still gets under my skin for Auburn people to be bashing the team, including the coach, especially when there IS precedent for a turnaround. No, I'm not the same kid who was crying for his dad to let him leave so he didn't have to watch, even though the lesson learned is still burned in my data banks. However, there is still a part of me that is constantly optimistic about the next Auburn game, no matter what, no matter the odds. I'm the guy who got laughed out of the room at the Montgomery Advertiser (was writing freelance) for daring suggest that Auburn could knock off Bama in 08 if things came together right. And as much as I know I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to my beloved Auburn Tigers, it is utterly baffling to me when Auburn men and women can't see the possibilities I see and embrace them, rather than rejecting optimism and declaring themselves "realists" because they choose the negative view, even when there is such a recent layout of how quickly a season can turn around (with the same coaching staff, no less). You'll have to excuse me if my exuberance comes across so palpably, because this is where I am at my most serious: putting words in type. This is where I fight my battles. This is where I do everything I can to rally the downtrodden troops to belief that we still need to do our part in making Jordan-Hare Stadium the most intimidating atmosphere in the college football world, just like we did last November. Because when I hear people talking about not buying tickets and not showing up so as to deliver a message to the powers that be, I tend to get pretty serious about it.

I appreciate the candor.  Sounds like you went through some hard times and I am certainly glad to see you've recovered well.  I also appreciate your love for Auburn.  It's something to which I can truly relate.  In the end, we want the same thing - what's best for the Auburn Tigers.  

I know my high levels of hyperbole put a lot of folks off, but rest assured - I love my school and appreciate the level of love for Auburn shown on this board.  I was an Auburn fan from the time I was 6 and the years I attended AU were truly some of the best in my life.  It is truly a unique college experience.  Then and now.  I know this because I have a nephew currently attending and he says his experience has been AUsome!

Everyone expresses themselves in their own way and I often challenge others in their beliefs to challenge my own.  You mustn't take my over-the-top rhetoric as my most considered opinions on a subject.  And if I poke at you, know that I'm prodding you to defend your thoughts and to change mine.  I'm accustomed to working out my thoughts by bouncing them off the skulls of others.  Two of my siblings are attorneys and you should see us discuss world affairs.  It'll leave a mark. 

Don't know how much of your injuries still remain. And I don't care.  I'm not going easy on you.  See that?  I was smiling when I wrote that.  It's true, of course.  I'm not going easy on you.  But I digress...

Glad we could clear the air.  I hope we understand one another better.

I'll tolerate your sunshine if you can stomach my sardony.  <- Not an actual word, but should be one, so use it early and often!  

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I appreciate the candor.  Sounds like you went through some hard times and I am certainly glad to see you've recovered well.  I also appreciate your love for Auburn.  It's something to which I can truly relate.  In the end, we want the same thing - what's best for the Auburn Tigers.  

I know my high levels of hyperbole put a lot of folks off, but rest assured - I love my school and appreciate the level of love for Auburn shown on this board.  I was an Auburn fan from the time I was 6 and the years I attended AU were truly some of the best in my life.  It is truly a unique college experience.  Then and now.  I know this because I have a nephew currently attending and he says his experience has been AUsome!

Everyone expresses themselves in their own way and I often challenge others in their beliefs to challenge my own.  You mustn't take my over-the-top rhetoric as my most considered opinions on a subject.  And if I poke at you, know that I'm prodding you to defend your thoughts and to change mine.  I'm accustomed to working out my thoughts by bouncing them off the skulls of others.  Two of my siblings are attorneys and you should see us discuss world affairs.  It'll leave a mark. 

Don't know how much of your injuries still remain. And I don't care.  I'm not going easy on you.  See that?  I was smiling when I wrote that.  It's true, of course.  I'm not going easy on you.  But I digress...

Glad we could clear the air.  I hope we understand one another better.

I'll tolerate your sunshine if you can stomach my sardony.  <- Not an actual word, but should be one, so use it early and often!  

The only lingering effect is on my in person skills, as I developed my personality online and through type, so no, don't go easy on me. I can only imagine what it must be like having two siblings as attorneys, as that is a hell I have not trod in my life (just being around two attorneys, let alone them being my siblings).

I can certainly respect the challenging others' beliefs to challenge your own. Had someone comment on a Facebook exchange in which I engaged to say that life is short, so we should waste it arguing politics with strangers. I responded with the Biblical quote from Proverbs, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." That's essentially what you're going for, I think.

And sardony is not a word, but sardonic is, so you could say that you'll tolerate my sunshine if I can stomach your sardonic ways. (Yeah, that's the writer in me, always finding a way to say the same thing and be grammatically correct.) But you're right, sardony SHOULD be a word, specifically because sardonic is one. Maybe we should look into trademarking it. Could use one or both of your siblings' help with that. 🤣

18 hours ago, DAG said:

I think it's best for Gus to start thinking that he is coaching for his job every game. Maybe that would light a fire under him.

Stole the words right out of my mouth. He should be doing that already. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Gus swaps  OCs off season and gets two more years to figure out how to work with an OC b/c he made a swap.

For all those saying, "the media will laugh at us for firing a coach after a contract extension,"  you care more about what people think versus the kids ON THIS TEAM?   Just let the talent be marginalized and let them transfer?   Really?  

I think we have seen the best of Gus or what he can do.  He can win when his back is against the wall, but nobody can live that way. 

1.  accept any responsibility for a bad game plan - have you heard him say, "this on me" during a presser? (I recall this once, I think.)

2.  really allow an OC the autonomy to put in a  system or the ability to put in a complete game plan

That and his below .500 record against our rivals is enough.   Laugh at me, but Gus can do a lot more damage long term if he stays a couple more years.

I don't want him to stay but I think you're underestimating the damage in reputation a $32 million buyout would do to Auburn. 

We would be seen as a coaching impossibility. We would be labeled as the penultimate Meddle U. Boosters pooling together 32 MILLION dollars to axe a non-scandal coach one year into a contract? What coach would come here after that? 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

If he continues to recruit at the level he has been, he's not doing much damage to the program long term. He has a five star linebacker and a top notch QB in this year's recruiting class, plus a QB with all world potential redshirting right now. No, Jeremy Johnson didn't work out so well, but what other elite QB prospect has he had to develop?

We've seen what happens when his back is against the wall after a miserable loss, and hopefully everyone here applauded that effort. Maybe let's see what happens when his back is against the wall for a whole season, knowing if he doesn't produce after the let down of last year's postseason and the first 67% of this year that he probably will be gone, buyout or not, even if he does pull another rabbit out of his hat and finish 2018 on a high note.

By the way, something tells me you wouldn't be nearly this cavalier about GET RID OF HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!1! if it were your 32 million dollars that he'd get paid for being fired. I mean, it's really easy to harp on how much damage he'll do to the program when you know if he gets fired, the money isn't coming out of your pockets, isn't it?

Look, Gus came within a play or two of winning a national championship, he's had the team ranked in the top ten in October and/or November of every season except this one, and he's been to four New Year's Day (or better) bowl games in five years. For every tit you throw down about him being horrible, or as good as he can get, or whatever, I can throw back a tat suggesting he's getting there. Wouldn't it be a shame to fire him and let him go somewhere else that he applies what he learned at Auburn and starts dominating?

No, that's not possible! He's the worst thing to happen to Auburn since Doug Barfield!! Cut his damned head off!!!!

*Shakes head* Some people just don't know how to manage perspective.

17 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

The only lingering effect is on my in person skills, as I developed my personality online and through type, so no, don't go easy on me. I can only imagine what it must be like having two siblings as attorneys, as that is a hell I have not trod in my life (just being around two attorneys, let alone them being my siblings).

I can certainly respect the challenging others' beliefs to challenge your own. Had someone comment on a Facebook exchange in which I engaged to say that life is short, so we should waste it arguing politics with strangers. I responded with the Biblical quote from Proverbs, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." That's essentially what you're going for, I think.

And sardony is not a word, but sardonic is, so you could say that you'll tolerate my sunshine if I can stomach your sardonic ways. (Yeah, that's the writer in me, always finding a way to say the same thing and be grammatically correct.) But you're right, sardony SHOULD be a word, specifically because sardonic is one. Maybe we should look into trademarking it. Could use one or both of your siblings' help with that. 🤣

Sibs are great, even if they are attorneys.  We are all, each of us, right until proven wrong.  Really does sharpen the mind.

My thoughts exactly.  I actually had "sardonic ramblings", but just went with sardony.  I mean really: ironic -> irony, sardonic -> sardony.  The adjective-signalling  "-ic" just screams for a corresponding noun, amirite?  Hell yes, I am.   ;)

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I think he's lost his job already. It's only a matter of contract timing. Lame duck for now. Safe this year. Maybe even next. 

Oh good grief. The only way he's a lame duck is if the decision has been made to fire him after the season, and even then he's got five more games to turn it around. If he's safe this year, and next year too, what happens if he makes the playoffs two years from now? Do you fire him out of spite?

If the team doesn't look any better for the rest of this year and continuing into next year, he's probably gone. But he's only a lame duck if nothing he does can save his job. You really think the powers that be would want to fire him if he somehow wins the last four games and the bowl game to take us to a double digit win total 2 years in a row for the first time in program history? You really think he wouldn't buy himself some good faith by winning the SEC next year? I'm not saying it's going to happen, but in the words of the great Yogi Berra, "It ain't over til it's over."

22 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Oh good grief. The only way he's a lame duck is if the decision has been made to fire him after the season, and even then he's got five more games to turn it around. If he's safe this year, and next year too, what happens if he makes the playoffs two years from now? Do you fire him out of spite?

If the team doesn't look any better for the rest of this year and continuing into next year, he's probably gone. But he's only a lame duck if nothing he does can save his job. You really think the powers that be would want to fire him if he somehow wins the last four games and the bowl game to take us to a double digit win total 2 years in a row for the first time in program history? You really think he wouldn't buy himself some good faith by winning the SEC next year? I'm not saying it's going to happen, but in the words of the great Yogi Berra, "It ain't over til it's over."

Relax it was just my opinion, assuming that there will be no turn-around next year. I can't fire him and don't care if they do or don't. But my $.02 is CCL is out after Thanksgiving, and the coaching universe won't provide a replacement that can deal with Gus and/or put it back together.

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don't want him to stay but I think you're underestimating the damage in reputation a $32 million buyout would do to Auburn. 

We would be seen as a coaching impossibility. We would be labeled as the penultimate Meddle U. Boosters pooling together 32 MILLION dollars to axe a non-scandal coach one year into a contract? What coach would come here after that? 

This is my concern EXACTLY. It was bad enough letting go of a coach 2 years removed from a National championship and the previous coach having the Jetgate situation. We don't want the reputation that is coming our way.

36 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This is my concern EXACTLY. It was bad enough letting go of a coach 2 years removed from a National championship and the previous coach having the Jetgate situation. We don't want the reputation that is coming our way.

lol now come on. That is what you are worried about our reputation? News flash. We do not have a good one on a national scale as it is. No one really does unless you are a blue blood grandfathered in or new money winning consistently like Clemson now. If someone deserves to be fired they should be regardless. We cannot worry what people think about us. Especially when it already is not very highly as it is.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol now come on. That is what you are worried about our reputation? News flash. We do not have a good one on a national scale as it is. No one really does unless you are a blue blood grandfathered in or new money winning consistently like Clemson now. If someone deserves to be fired they should be regardless. We cannot worry what people think about us. Especially when it already is not very highly as it is.

Yep, with how we recruit, we are viewed as one of the most inconsistent, talented  programs in the country. I want us to rid ourselves of this “ 8 wins most of the time with top 10 level talent” reputation. I want to take that next step. Complacency does not breed success.

8 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Yep, with how we recruit, we are viewed as one of the most inconsistent, talented  programs in the country. I want us to rid ourselves of this “ 8 wins most of the time with top 10 level talent” reputation. I want to take that next step. Complacency does not breed success.

got dang I want to give you all of my 20 likes!!! WAR DAMN BROTHER!! well said fam.

Yes because we have a golden reputation this year with Kirk Herbstreit going on national tv and saying we are the most disappointing team in the country smh 

On 10/23/2018 at 5:51 PM, aucom96 said:

Why? The buyout will still be huge and next year is going to be a rough season. We'll still be thin on the OL, likely be breaking in a brand new QB and will lose several playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. If Gus is kept around, there will also likely be the usual firing of the scapegoat and we'll break in another coordinator. We'll be on the road for Oregon, A&M, Florida and LSU...pretty brutal. I don't see where the crop of available coaches will be any different if we make a move in a year, either. 

If Gus' buyout is protecting him, we're in for a long, ugly haul before he's gone...and Leath needs to precede him out the door. 

good god, this could be a worse team next year...Oregon is gonna be one year better from a top 20ish type season, A&M is gonna be one year better from only losing to the two best teams in the nation, Florida looks like FLORIDA again, LSU looks like the best tigers in the conference again....We could be s*** outta luck not only wins wise, but coach wise. Alot of names will be rumored this offseason I believe. 

plus we'll have to depend on Gatewood (who I personally like but supposedly the coaches dont), Willis (pretty much the same thing as Joey), Cord (cmon now), and Bo, who's frame could get him obliterated behind this line quite frankly 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Forget the reputation stuff, If we buyout a contract worth over 31 million and fire a coach after a winning season, we would be tbe epitome of everything that’s wrong with money driven CFB, unrealistic expectations, and the must win now mentality. 

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes because we have a golden reputation this year with Kirk Herbstreit going on national tv and saying we are the most disappointing team in the country smh 

Kirk is not in step with Auburn football. For one, most ESPN members predicted Auburn the most likely SEC member to disappoint this season thanks to losing so many OL and the brutal schedule. How can we be predicted to be the most disappointing team prior to tbe season, and then be the most disappointing team to this date? That’s a lazy low hanging fruit that’s best served to the ignorant. 

Two, he’s basically predicted every game wrong. He predicted Washington to win, Auburn to beat LSU, and lastly, Ole Miss over Auburn. And on that note, which creates my third point, he flat out said that he didn’t even think Auburn cared anymore before playing against Ole Miss. Our players haven’t quit all season. He has no clue what’s going on in Auburn. 

If anything Washington should be the most disappointing team to him. He predicted Washington to the CFP, not Auburn. To this date, “the most disappointing team,” and Oregon has already beat Washington.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

8 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Fam

I've posted this before, Auburn has not made a HC change after a winning season since PRE-WWII.

And we rarely have let a coach go after going even.

I've lost alot... or nearly all faith in Gus to maintain playing at a highly competitive level. But he's gonna have to go from mediocre to straight sucking bad before he gets fired.

39 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Forget the reputation stuff, If we buyout a contract worth over 31 million and fire a coach after a winning season, we would be tbe epitome of everything that’s wrong with money driven CFB, unrealistic expectations, and the must win now mentality. 

Kirk is not in step with Auburn football. For one, most ESPN members predicted Auburn the most likely SEC member to disappoint this season thanks to losing so many OL and the brutal schedule. How can we be predicted to be the most disappointing team prior to tbe season, and then be the most disappointing team to this date? That’s a lazy low hanging fruit that’s best served to the ignorant. 

Two, he’s basically predicted every game wrong. He predicted Washington to win, Auburn to beat LSU, and lastly, Ole Miss over Auburn. And on that note, which creates my third point, he flat out said that he didn’t even think Auburn cared anymore before playing against Ole Miss. Our players haven’t quit all season. He has no clue what’s going on in Auburn. 

If anything Washington should be the most disappointing team to him. He predicted Washington to the CFP, not Auburn. To this date, “the most disappointing team,” and Oregon has already beat Washington.

I like Kirk, but I agree with what you said here. Like most analysts he is only paying attention very little of the time outside of the few programs that bspn loves i.e. bama, osu, clempson etc.  

I disagree with the first premise however, that this would somehow be so horrible for our rep. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about being an Auburn fan over 35 years, is it doesn’t matter what we do the national media will never really like us anyway. I think we probably gained a few fans in 2013 because of the miracle and the kick six but that has waned. 

And as far as the win now mentality, Gus has had five more years since 2013 to build a consistent winner with probably as a whole more talent than Auburn has ever fielded in a five year span. And he’s not getting it done. I’d agree with you if we had fired him after say 2015 but this will be six years in. Who cares what the media thinks? If we fire him they will light us up for being short-sighted, if we keep him and he continues to suck then they will light us up for not firing him sooner....its a no win situation with those guys.

Screw the optics. If we win, no one will care about the previous coach, except maybe our opponents.  We just need to make sure we don't make the same hiring mistakes as before.

6 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I've posted this before, Auburn has not made a HC change after a winning season since PRE-WWII.

And we rarely have let a coach go after going even.

I've lost alot... or nearly all faith in Gus to maintain playing at a highly competitive level. But he's gonna have to go from mediocre to straight sucking bad before he gets fired.

This is true but I believe Gus is an exception to a lot of rules lol. 7-6 or 6-7 with this amount of talent is borderline criminal and at least completely incompetent.

Archived