Reality Check from the WSJ

DKW 86

From the WSJ

The Berger File

Sandy Berger didn't destroy documents with notes in the margin.

Friday, April 8, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

Some people won't let a bad conspiracy theory go. We're referring to those who loudly assert that former NSC adviser Sandy Berger was trying to protect the Clinton Administration when he illegally removed copies of sensitive documents from the National Archives in late 2003.

Meanwhile, conservatives don't do themselves any credit when they are as impervious to facts as the loony left.

I am open minded enough to realize that I may have been badly mislead by a certain radio personality just this week about this very subject.

From the WSJ
The Berger File

Sandy Berger didn't destroy documents with notes in the margin.

Friday, April 8, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

Some people won't let a bad conspiracy theory go. We're referring to those who loudly assert that former NSC adviser Sandy Berger was trying to protect the Clinton Administration when he illegally removed copies of sensitive documents from the National Archives in late 2003.

Meanwhile, conservatives don't do themselves any credit when they are as impervious to facts as the loony left.

I am open minded enough to realize that I may have been badly mislead by a certain radio personality just this week about this very subject.

154892[/snapback]

This whole thing makes very little sense. I can't figure out any motivation that really makes sense. But, Berger's career is over, as it should be. I doubt he'll even get a decent teaching job.

... This whole thing makes very little sense.  I can't figure out any motivation that really makes sense.  But, Berger's career is over, as it should be.  I doubt he'll even get a decent teaching job.

154893[/snapback]

If I had access to the content within the papers he tried to smuggle out of the Archives I bet I could find a motivation. I wouldn't worry about Sandy. He'll probably land a job with one of those big department stores (Macy's, Nieman-Marcus) in the security department teaching the guards how to spot shop-lifters. :big:

... This whole thing makes very little sense.  I can't figure out any motivation that really makes sense.  But, Berger's career is over, as it should be.  I doubt he'll even get a decent teaching job.

154893[/snapback]

If I had access to the content within the papers he tried to smuggle out of the Archives I bet I could find a motivation. I wouldn't worry about Sandy. He'll probably land a job with one of those big department stores (Macy's, Nieman-Marcus) in the security department teaching the guards how to spot shop-lifters. :big:

154894[/snapback]

But he had to know he didn't have the only copies. And the 911 Commission found nothing damning about how the Clinton administration handled the thwarted millenial threat, which is what the papers addressed.

If he left the original documents and took only copies, his motive was not to HIDE the documents. He must have been trying to get the documents to where someone could look at them who wouldn't have had access to get in and see for himself.

Doesn't that make sense?

The only other explanation I can think of is that he was so incompetent or thoughtless that he didn't realize he was breaking the rules by taking classified documents away, or he thought it was harmless error to break security because he "knew he wasn't going to do anything wrong with them" and anyhow rules are for other people. I can see a high level political snot having that mindset.

So, the question remains.... just what the HELL was he doing? Is he nut? Seriously..as in ...does he literally have no clue of what he's doing ? Taking notes and destroying copies .....for what purpose ? And this clown was the NSA....doesn't that make all of us feel so much more safe?

If he left the original documents and took only copies, his motive was not to HIDE the documents.  He must have been trying to get the documents to where someone could look at them who wouldn't have had access to get in and see for himself.

Doesn't that make sense?

154898[/snapback]

It is possible. Or perhaps he wanted more time to review them at his leisure.

I believe that Berger simply thought, as did the entire Clintonista regime, that he could DO no wrong.

154929[/snapback]

Coming from a guy who supported a President for re-election who could not think of a single mistake he had made.

Archived