Horton reassigned to off field role

Maverick.AU

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Except Gus's uses of our RBs which other teams pound us on the trail for.

If you're not a starter, you might as well not be on the team man...

if Gus is gonna air mail it every 3 seasons, at least help yourself and stat pad the entire roster a little

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I see this little jackwagon has not changed at all since he has been away from Auburn. L O L. Best offensive recruiter?!?!? You are out of your got dang mind creeper. Turmoil? So dozens of sec assistants change jobs every year but when Auburn does it is described as turmoil? GTFO. So glad this dude is not covering AU anymore.

I dont follow guys that are generally hated on here too often, but good lord, this is ridiculous. Why not just say Auburn sucks.

8 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

E, there is more to it that that and you know it. You need to get players you need. For us that would be OL, elite RB's, etc. We can have a bunch of great receivers rated really high, but if our line can't give our QB time to get the ball to them, then it goes back to recruiting. I can argue that MS ST recruiting has been better than ours.

OL is the only area we struggle in recruiting. Most teams other than 3 or 4 per class have areas they struggle in recruiting. Comparing the talent level brought in by AU to Vols & Miss St. is laughably bad. Now player development, that's another story.

8 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

So the most likely scenario is Porter moves to RBs and Gus hires Al Pogue for Special Teams/TEs. IMO

Not sure it's most likely. Looks like more of a hope from us fans right now.

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Other than bama and georgia, what teams have out recruited us on the OL in recent years

Since we are only taking 2 high school OL per year the past near 4 years, nearly everyone.

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I will do more research to see about the couple years prior but this paints a pretty good picture

Not needed @Tigerpro2a. I've already done it & posted it earlier in the thread. We have signed 8 high school OL in now nearly 4 full classes while our Rivals Bama, UGA, & LSU have signed 17-18.

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Is it safe to assume that Porter will be the new recruiting coordinator?

No unfortunately. At best it's a hope right now.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I see this little jackwagon has not changed at all since he has been away from Auburn. L O L. Best offensive recruiter?!?!? You are out of your got dang mind creeper. Turmoil? So dozens of sec assistants change jobs every year but when Auburn does it is described as turmoil? GTFO. So glad this dude is not covering AU anymore.

Just can't get AU out of his mind.   Not missing him at all.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well if Crepea can stay employed then absolutely Tim Horton will be able to find a new job. I don't necessarily want a "nice man" as a coach. He can be nice when he gets home. 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This guy is an A$$ and I don’t usually say that about people.  Even from as far away as he can get, he still tries to cut us.  Go away, Creep!

Another thought, would Horton have been responsible for the Asa Martin mistake? Maybe he wanted to step away for a little while.  Just an idea.  

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

OL is the only area we struggle in recruiting. Most teams other than 3 or 4 per class have areas they struggle in recruiting. Comparing the talent level brought in by AU to Vols & Miss St. is laughably bad. Now player development, that's another story.

Agree on Player development. Have to agree to disagree on only struggling in OL recruiting. Our RB recruiting has been below average lately. It bothers me that Bama and UGA can get multiple elite RB in recruiting years while we do get any. 

44 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

This guy is an A$$ and I don’t usually say that about people.  Even from as far away as he can get, he still tries to cut us.  Go away, Creep!

Another thought, would Horton have been responsible for the Asa Martin mistake? Maybe he wanted to step away for a little while.  Just an idea.  

I doubt that would get him pushed aside though I recall that Asa's mother talked about discussing the issue with an "offensive coach" but did not say who....and I'm pretty sure if it had been Gus she would have said his name.....so was  likely TH or CL since they were the active coaches with the players...but no matter which one, I don't think that issue alone was a factor in the changes. 

But....I think it is good to see fresh faces from time to time with primary assistants....get some new enthusiasm and fresh ideas.   I'm not for weeding out the "old guys" or anything but sound like TH will probably get an equivalent role somewhere.   That and his salary over the years seems to be fair treatment of him. JMO

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Robinson is like 6'5 over 300 lbs. 

He can do a standing backflip. Link

Get outta here with that nonsense

Then why has he still not made an impact in the league?  Do you know much about sales?  Do you know anything about sales to naive 17-18 year olds?  He was NFL worthy, not elite NFL worthy, and yet the AU staff helped him get an elite draft spot.  That's a win and should be an easy recruiting sell for years to come.  How our AU staff fudged that opportunity up is crazy.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

We have struggled at the RB position since Jovon or Dyer

27 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Then why has he still not made an impact in the league?  Do you know much about sales?  Do you know anything about sales to naive 17-18 year olds?  He was NFL worthy, not elite NFL worthy, and yet the AU staff helped him get an elite draft spot.  That's a win and should be an easy recruiting sell for years to come.  How our AU staff fudged that opportunity up is crazy.

His measurables got him drafted #2. If it was Auburn that got him to that elite spot, then why didn't Shon Coleman get drafted top 5? Because he didn't have anywhere near the measurables GRob had. Had GRob gone to Bama, LSU, UGA, FSU, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, Troy, or UAB he would of still been drafted in an elite spot. Not many 6'5 300+ pounders can do a standing back flip. That just oozes athleticism...

But at the same time your idea that it should be an easy sell for years to come...

We did get him to an elite draft status, and he didn't excel in the NFL. He wasn't taught anywhere near enough to have him drafted that high overall. He was drafted that high because of his measurables, athleticism, and raw power. 

GRob was completely raw going into the league. He is no different than the WRs we have had drafted. Both GRob and our drafted WRs went into the league without a complete game. GRob was an exceptional run blocker, a true road grader, but was as raw as they come as far as pass blocking...and the league is a pass happy league. 

Below isnt directed at you AUDevil

As much as knock Kodi on his coaching skills, he absolutely can attract talent. We have more talent from true WRs right now than we may have EVER had. That makes me think that maybe moving him to RB coach wouldn't be the worst idea. At least he could bring in talent. But I'm sure Porter could also bring in the talent and he actually played the position and has a history of bringing in and  coaching top RBs. So Porter moving over also could work well... Then maybe if Gus is real about wanting to use TEs again, we could let Kodi coach WR/TE and as much as I HATE the idea, bring in a 2nd OL coach to help pull the weight recruiting that Grimes obviously cannot cover. 

45 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

There are some articles that point out that Auburn fooled the NFL and that doesn’t help selling G Rob to our recruits. There was also an article by a Colts writer that said Brayden has done well in tbe NFL despite his college coaching. 

47 minutes ago, lala said:

We have struggled at the RB position since Jovon or Dyer

Which is it? Dyer or Jovon? You do realize that they were half a decade apart? Dyer signed in the 2010 class and Jovon signed in the 2015 class. 

I would argue that we have struggled since the class Dyer signed. Yeah in the 2015 class we signed Jovon and KJ. So we could cut that class from the struggle list. We could also argue to throw out the 2018 class as well. Asa and Worm were great signees but Asa is gone and Worms body will likely never allow him to be RB1 in the SEC. I'm not saying he can't, but its unlikely he ever becomes a 20+ carry up the middle guy. So I would argue the 2018 class absolutely counts as struggling. 

I have a post history stating how much we struggled in RB recruiting, but I was told we have had 1000 yard rushers X amount of years in a row and that I was wrong. At least now people are starting to wake up to the fact we have in fact struggled in RB recruiting. Hopefully now with a fresh face, that will change. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

There was also an article by a Colts writer that said Brayden has done well in tbe NFL despite his college coaching. 

Exactly. Its the same with GRob and our WRs. However, unlike Drago, they haven't done well.

The Creep did not do Horton any favors by posting this.  Think about it...the Creep never says anything nice about anyone, so why did he post this?  Could it be that the Creep was taking up for his source?  You can bet people are going to think that.

12 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

As far as Horton... I don't understand how anyone could be surprised by this. 

I love Horton. He came in as one of the most respected RB coaches in the game. He was a great coach and great recruiter. Lately, he seems to be a shell of his former self. As my boy @GwillMac6 said, it seems he has been mailing it in for a few years now. 

It was time for us to move on...

@GwillMac6 is your son now that explains a lot of things:poke:

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Again, you are making things up to fit your (incorrect) narrative.  Greg Robinson's draft stock didn't soar to Top 5 status until after the Combine wherein he showed freakish speed (4.92 forty at 332 pounds) and power (32 bench reps with above-average arm length).  Going into the Combine he was actually perceived to be behind at least the OT out of Texas A&M, but eventually rose above after a freakish display in Indianapolis.  He is one of the most physically impressive linemen to show up to the Combine probably ever.  That had nothing to do with what we did or didn't teach him and everything to do with his pure natural physical talent, so you are outright LYING by claiming that he wasn't "elite NFL worthy" as you are going to be hard pressed to find a 330 pound man that can move like him while also having the power to throw people around like nothing.  His problem is that he came out of that Auburn offense that was running the ball ~70% of the time and relying on rudimentary passing principles (and thus the pass blocking schemes were also rudimentary).  He was very unprepared from a pass blocking perspective because we barely had to pass the ball period, and the NFL is a pass-oriented league.  Our offense took advantage of his outright ability to just push guys forward (most of Mason's rush yards came on that side) at the expense of his overall development as a lineman.  Yes, the argument you can make is that it is Auburn's job to do whatever it takes for Auburn to win regardless of what it means for the NFL development (or lack thereof) of its players, but when you take that stance then you're going to have to live with the reality that you will be negatively recruited to hell, because the primary goal of all any highly recruited kid is to play in the NFL.

We run a gimmick offense that preaches simplicity, which is a NEGATIVE for the NFL development of basically every offensive player.

Gotta believe Horton wouldn’t be reassigned without a new guy ready to be named in the next couple days.  Bama got any other coaches who are tired of Saban’s fit pitching?

This does not play out with the narrative that everyone was preaching a month ago.   Wasn’t it stated only Gus w/ Horton decided who we would recruit on the O side of that ball.  If Tim was that ingrained why would he be reassigned?    

Weren’t we told it was fact, and if we thought otherwise we were kidding ourselves?      

Archived