Horton reassigned to off field role

Maverick.AU

43 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

This is a good move. We need a new coach and someone that can recruit at a higher level than Horton has done recently. We need a young coach with lots of energy that relates well with kids.

Yes, this. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

OL CRUTIN IS THE NUMBER ONE THING that needs to change.

It won't no matter who the OL coach is unless Gus makes some changes on his OL recruiting philosophy. Taking out Grimes without some changes with Gus does little to no good to help OL recruiting.

Just now, ellitor said:

It won't no matter who the OL coach is unless Gus makes some changes on his OL recruiting philosophy. Taking out Grimes without some changes with Gus does little to no good to help OL recruiting.

We just flat out aren’t recruiting the guys to make a dominant OL

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

We just flat out aren’t recruiting the guys to make a dominant OL

Well Gus is being too damn picky on who he will take & not giving enough real consideration & preparation to Plan Bs when Plan As go elsewhere.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Well Gus is being too damn picky on who he will take & not giving enough real consideration & preparation to Plan Bs when Plan As go elsewhere.

And that is a huge problem, and it’s showing

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am not a Horton guy at all and have not been for awhile. I think he has been mailing it in on the trail for a few years and not been fully invested. But the first coach who I would of nudged out is Grimes. OL CRUTIN IS THE NUMBER ONE THING that needs to change. I do not care how "great" of a coach Grimes is. This is not the NFL you MUST be able to recruit. Especially in our predicament recruiting against bama and georgia.

I have been saying for a while now we need both a new RB coach and a new OL coach. We are halfway there. I agree on recruiting. We are getting out-recruited by Bama, Georgia, A&M, LSU. Our recruiting now is on the MS St and TN level. We need to recruit at an elite level to compete in the SEC. Way more focus on OL recruiting. 

And that is a huge problem, and it’s showing

well the problem is We strike out on literally every PLAN A we have been after the past few years. Keiondre Jones was one of the few PLAN A's in OL crutin we have got in recent years.

1 hour ago, CR said:

I'm surprised he's staying in the off the field spot. He's been trying to leave for a few years now.

My thoughts exactly. Anyone correct me if i'm off base but seems like he's been trying to leave for some time now. Seems like he may have turned down a job or two and/or not hired. Maybe he feels he should have a better position than what teams have been offering/considering him for?

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

well the problem is We strike out on literally every PLAN A we have been after the past few years. Keiondre Jones was one of the few PLAN A's in OL crutin we have got in recent years.

Yep, our problem is we go from tier 1, to tier 3. We doesn’t replace missing on a tier 1 with a tier 2

Yep, our problem is we go from tier 1, to tier 3. We doesn’t replace missing on a tier 1 with a tier 2

THIS THIS THIS

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think Gus has already tried but not forced the change. He was probably preferred for Hortin to have gotten another gig. So now he will just move to off field position and hopefully get a shot somewhere else. I just hope if Gus goes outside for a new coach it will be one that he is willing to listen to and help him move his offense forward.

Like not running our RB1 into the ground every season and giving guys like Worm more reps. I guess we can all dream for that.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m guessing we might move porter to RB coach and look  for a TE coach.

Forgot about porter . Could be a great move 

6 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Our recruiting now is on the MS St and TN level.

lolbama.0.gif

Not even close. Our rating per signee/commit is 91.94, 5th in the nation. Vols rating is 89.85, 16th in the nation. Miss St rating is 88.43, 20th in the nation.

14 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Actually Gus hasn't liked the tier 2s or 3s so we are actually replacing tier 1s with transfers in most cases.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:
20 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Actually Gus hasn't liked the tier 2s or 3s so we are actually replacing tier 1s with transfers in most cases.

To concretely illustrate this we have only signed 8 high school OL the past near 4 full classes while our Rivals, Bama, UGA, & LSU have all signed 17 & 18 in that time.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

lolbama.0.gif

Not even close. Our rating per signee/commit is 91.94, 5th in the nation. Vols rating is 89.85, 16th in the nation. Miss St rating is 88.43, 20th in the nation.

E, there is more to it that that and you know it. You need to get players you need. For us that would be OL, elite RB's, etc. We can have a bunch of great receivers rated really high, but if our line can't give our QB time to get the ball to them, then it goes back to recruiting. I can argue that MS ST recruiting has been better than ours.

I think our lack of OL signees has a lot to do with our offensive scheme and blocking schemes don't translate to the NFL game. High School players hear this from the other teams.  How many AU OLinemen, under Gus have gone to the league?  2, maybe 3?  

4 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Interesting comment 

Hmm...

So is that an indictment on the other coaches?

Very interesting indeed...

10 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I think our lack of OL signees has a lot to do with our offensive scheme and blocking schemes don't translate to the NFL game. High School players hear this from the other teams.  How many AU OLinemen, under Gus have gone to the league?  2, maybe 3?  

Coleman, Smith, Robinson, and Slade (not sure if he's active).

Just now, AUDevil said:

Coleman, Smith, Robinson, and Slade (not sure if he's active).

Wasn't there a Robinson interview where it was stated that he wasn't really ready for the NFL and having to work hard to get up to speed?  I seem to remember a bit shade thrown on AU's O-line coaching about that time.  Do we suck at getting o-line players prepared for the NFL?  Could such an impression be limiting our recruiting?  

These reporters on Twitter are talking about him like he just died.  It's not like his career is over or he's not allowed to coach anymore.  He'll probably get another on field role in another year or two.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Wasn't there a Robinson interview where it was stated that he wasn't really ready for the NFL and having to work hard to get up to speed?  I seem to remember a bit shade thrown on AU's O-line coaching about that time.  Do we suck at getting o-line players prepared for the NFL?  Could such an impression be limiting our recruiting?  

I think so.  If AU, you could also spin that as Robinson isn't really top tier NFL caliber and we still got him a spot in the 1st round.

27 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Other than bama and georgia, what teams have out recruited us on the OL in recent years.  If you watch other offenses in the conference, nobody has dominant OLs and most are worse than AU ...JMO

Archived