Horton reassigned to off field role

Maverick.AU

4 hours ago, around4ever said:

I didn't think the "off field assistants" could recruit.  I thought only the 10 on field coaches and head coach could recruit. 

I'm not sure myself. I can't find anything definitive. Some support staff can't recruit on the road but I didn't see anything prohibiting anyone from having contact once the recruit is on campus. I think @toddc is on the right track with his earlier post. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Depends on how one values said off the field role.  If he can take recruiting analysis/targeting/planning off of Gus's plate, then that job becomes super important and likely worth the money.  But we absolutely can pay it. Auburn isn't lacking for cash.

This is true 

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Depends on how one values said off the field role.  If he can take recruiting analysis/targeting/planning off of Gus's plate, then that job becomes super important and likely worth the money.  But we absolutely can pay it. Auburn isn't lacking for cash.

Another way to look at this move is Horton was under contract with a one year buyout, so Auburn is honoring this while Horton looks for another job.  I have no inside info on this, but it doesn’t make sense that Auburn would pay an off the field coach that kind of money on a year to year basis.  This, of course, assumes Horton is getting paid his “coaching” salary.

On 1/13/2019 at 2:14 AM, ellitor said:

OL is the only area we struggle in recruiting. Most teams other than 3 or 4 per class have areas they struggle in recruiting. Comparing the talent level brought in by AU to Vols & Miss St. is laughably bad. Now player development, that's another story.

We have been struggling at RB recruiting for the past 3 years. 

37 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We have been struggling at RB recruiting for the past 3 years. 

We have been getting good ones. Just not elites because of the way Gus uses his RBs & how he gets hammered on the trail for it.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have been getting good ones. Just not elites because of the way Gus uses his RBs & how he gets hammered on the trail for it.

We have got some good ones. Also been very lucky. Boobie was not recruited to AU to be a every down tailback. Lucky for AU he grew into one. Without Boobie last year, we would have been in deeper trouble on offense. Can't keep relying on this type of luck. Same with the transfer QB's and OL's. Going to be a time when this approach fails. 

12 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Going to be a time when this approach fails

Ref: AU Football, 2015&2016

56 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We have got some good ones. Also been very lucky. Boobie was not recruited to AU to be a every down tailback. Lucky for AU he grew into one. Without Boobie last year, we would have been in deeper trouble on offense. Can't keep relying on this type of luck. Same with the transfer QB's and OL's. Going to be a time when this approach fails. 

Yep, a band-aid has no real staying power.

I also want to know when we are expanding the stadium, scheduling a home-and-home with Oklahoma in football, and bringing in Tracy Rocker as our DC.....

17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If we can't get Dell McGee, what are the chances of hiring Eddie Gran.

Gran is the present OC at Kentucky and rumored future OC at Georgia. So not likely to come for a regular assistant job.

Lol Dell Mcgee has been nega-recruiting AU for years with cold, hard facts he's not going to remove himself from reeling in top backs year after year to come to AU where he knows it'll be harder to recruit his position due of the truth behind what he's been telling RB recruits for a while now. That'd be some silly self sabotage if you ask me

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Lol Dell Mcgee has been nega-recruiting AU for years with cold, hard facts he's not going to remove himself from reeling in top backs year after year to come to AU where he knows it'll be harder to recruit his position due of the truth behind what he's been telling RB recruits for a while now. That'd be some silly self sabotage if you ask me

I just don't see too many coaches that are already in a great position wanting to attach themselves to a ship that 50/50 could sink next year.  If Dell wants to come back, he'll wait until the next coach.

Just now, AUDevil said:

I just don't see too many coaches that are already in a great position wanting to attach themselves to a ship that 50/50 could sink next year.  If Dell wants to come back, he'll wait until the next coach.

Exactly. Kirby is about as secure as it gets. Gus might not make it through October if things fall apart or the QB and OL situation is worse than we'd hoped.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, lala said:

Disagree with you as I did on you all that said Grimes had no say in who to recruit.  

I 100% agree Tim will work recruiting and I also believe Tim will look at other options away from AU.    Again, IMO this debunks the belief that only he and Gus figured who to recruit, why would u demote your most trusted team member.   

I can explain. There are those on here that formally had “inside information” that have been proven wrong over and over again and it is easier for some to make excuses about being continually wrong rather than admit it and move on.

So when the coach Horton situation makes no sense, based on what we’ve been told is “gospel in the past” they will make up excuse after excuse and reason after reason rather than simply admitting they are wrong and moving on

16 hours ago, psyfro said:

Gran is the present OC at Kentucky and rumored future OC at Georgia. So not likely to come for a regular assistant job.

Gran is going to stay at UK and is about to get a huge pay raise, up to 2m a year. 

15 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I can explain. There are those on here that formally had “inside information” that have been proven wrong over and over again and it is easier for some to make excuses about being continually wrong rather than admit it and move on.

So when the coach Horton situation makes no sense, based on what we’ve been told is “gospel in the past” they will make up excuse after excuse and reason after reason rather than simply admitting they are wrong and moving on

What makes no sense about the Horton situation? Based on "gospel in the past"? And the info about JB not getting a say so on who to recruit came directly from JB himself. If that is wrong then what can I say? 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What makes no sense about the Horton situation? Based on "gospel in the past"? And the info about JB not getting a say so on who to recruit came directly from JB himself. If that is wrong then what can I say? 

Nothing. It litteraly won't matter to a few.

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Some people seriously think you come on here and spew out nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Hey man, you need to just move on. Like the guy who used this reassignment as a flimsy excuse to dig up old stuff to argue with you about. 

How much did you get paid to tell us about the way we recruit linemen, btw? The REC got to you, didn't they...

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Nothing. It litteraly won't matter to a few.

The Horton move isn't some huge rocket scientist stuff. Gus wants to keep his job with AU. I'm not a Gus fan but the man wants to win a natty. The way he was operating the offense was not working. Time to move some people out and get some new people in. Horton taking a off the field position should say all that needs to be said here. 

I wonder what the timeline will be on getting the hire made? In situations like this where a coach is fired or reassigned i expect it to move pretty fast since Gus was likely thinking about this for some time and hopefully had a list of replacements ready. 

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Some people seriously think you come on here and spew out nonsense. 

I mean damn I'm not going to be right on everything. Never said I would. I could go into more detail about who does what with recruiting but I won't. Seems Gus is changing things within the program. These changes have been pretty good ones. Love the Dilly hire. Was time for Horton to move on or step down and Gus made that hard decision to move Horton. Props to Gus. 

Just now, gravejd said:

I wonder what the timeline will be on getting the hire made? In situations like this where a coach is fired or reassigned i expect it to move pretty fast since Gus was likely thinking about this for some time and hopefully had a list of replacements ready. 

Don't think there is one. As of yesterday I'm told Gus has not made any final decisions. 

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I mean damn I'm not going to be right on everything. Never said I would. I could go into more detail about who does what with recruiting but I won't. Seems Gus is changing things within the program. These changes have been pretty good ones. Love the Dilly hire. Was time for Horton to move on or step down and Gus made that hard decision to move Horton. Props to Gus. 

Someone suggested that moving Horton to an off-field position was done to allow him to take on some of Gus' responsibilities (that maybe Suddes was handling) to allow Gus to focus more on on-field coaching and play calling.  Do you know if there is any truth to this?  

Archived