Softball Mississippi State series March 33-24

AU travels to Nusz Park in Starkville. 1000 chairback seats. Free admission.  Auburn baseball is also having a series in Starkville on same dates.  Coach Van Stuedeman is from Vestavia Hills, Alabama and played high school ball at VHHS.  Attended college in the state and assistant coach at BAMA 2000 - 2011 which may explain her recruiting connection to the state of Alabama.  This years roster has 5 players from Alabama including the 5th player from Oak Mountain HS.  Also, she has had an number of players from the Birmingham Thunderbolts travel team with 4 players 2017 class, 2 in 2018 class and 4 in the 2019 class.

The State is 19 - 8 overall and 0 - 3 in conference having lost a recent 3 game series at Kentucky.  Top 3 pitchers have ERA's ranging between 2.29 and 2.80.  Emily Williams appears most used and has faced 198 batters with 75 strike outs (38%) and also surrendered 41 walks (21%).  Hitting is lead by the remarkable Mia Davidson with BA .515 and 14 HR.  She has SO 8 of 68 at bats.  She is likely the highest rated recruit they have had and is also a terrific catcher. Four players have BA above .300.    As a team they have been very successful at stolen bases with 32 out of 34 attempts (AU 50/60).  One comparison stat I found interesting revolved around double plays.  Auburn has turned 17 and Mississippi State 5.  

Some on this forum have indicated there may have to  be some modifications/adjustments in our pitching rotation which is a concern.   Hope our hitting holds up.  

Thanks for the preview, Slot.  I am reminded of the last time we played MSU in Starkville with the highest-achieving softball team in AU history, 2016.  We got into a marathon game on Friday night, finally winning 3-2 in 14 innings.   MSU had a pitcher named Silkwood that pitched the entire game for them, over 200 pitches.  We lost the Saturday game 3-6, then came back and won 2-0 on Sunday.  This team had 5 pitchers:  Davis, Harper, Walters, Carlson, and Martin.  The infield was Cooper, Jordan, Carosone, and Rhodes.  That MSU team won 3 SEC games all year, and didn't even get to play in the SEC tournament they hosted.  I guess my point is that I'd love to get a sweep, but a series win on the road would be a good result. 

MSU played a tough series against Kentucky.  They were winning the 3rd game (I think 8-0) until a few errors, great hits and such got Kentucky back in the game.   The killer was the way the winning run was scored.  Runner on 3rd, Abby Cheeks at bat hits the ball infield, first base tags the bag and turns to throw home and Cheeks, who is running in fair territory (not in the runners lane where she is supposed to run) absolutely trucks over the 1B who makes a bad throw and the runner is safe at home.  No call for interference by the umpires (bad no-call in my opinion - I think Cheek should have been tossed for malicious contact).  That turns into the winning run 9-8 for Kentucky.  Cheeks better not try that with JP or I think JP will get up and deck her.

Overall, I think MSU will be a tougher win than TA&M.

I know Vann and the Stuedeman family well.  Good family.  Roseanne owned Papa Joes Pizza in Hoover after the Burbanks sold out. It was a great family joint that served as softball headquarters for Hoover and Vestavia.   I coached against Vann in her playing days.  She was a good pitcher at Vestavia and Huntingdon, where she played for Tina Deese.  

I always knew she would be a coach.  Her sister Les coaches at UAH and is always in the running for the Championship.   I like to see them do well except against Auburn. 

Archived