A Damaged Soul and a Disordered Personality

homersapien

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/12/27/trump-vietnam-war-bone-spur-diagnosis/2420475002/

WASHINGTON – Two daughters of a New York podiatrist say that 50 years ago their father diagnosed President Donald Trump with bone spurs in his heels as a favor to the doctor's landlord, Fred Trump, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

Trump received five deferments from the draft for military service during the Vietnam War. He received four education deferments while he was a college student and a fifth deferment in 1968 for a medical exemption after he graduated. 

That's what is known as a "concerted effort" to avoid the draft.

And yes, I was just lucky. Because had I been called, I would have gone.  I would not have cheated to avoid it.

I don't apologize for not volunteering for Viet Nam out of high school.  I was the first one in my family to attend college and at the time, that was a lot more important to me than volunteering for a war I didn't understand.  Had I been drafted during or while in college, I would have gone.  I wouldn't have my daddy finagle a way out, as Trump did.

Regardless, unlike Trump, I always respected the people who did serve in Nam - especially those who sacrificed more than just their time.  I would never disparage them the way Trump did:  "I prefer soldiers who weren't captured"

You'd have to be a real POS to say that about someone who suffered 5 years as a POW while refusing a release before his prisoners. And that's true even if you hadn't made a concerted effort to avoid serving.

But if you don't see the distinction, that's your problem, not mine.

You know the sad thing is you and Trump are exactly alike.  You disparage people on this site all day everyday, posters, politicians or people in the news (only people that don't agree with politics of course). You don't have any moral high ground to stand on about what you would or wouldn't do.  There are over 36K posts to show the kind of person you are and everyone on this site knows it.  And as I stated before with the bar as low as "two daughters of a NY podiatrist say......50 years ago." we could probably throw some some shade on your claim about not having your "daddy finagle a way out!!!!" #CLUELESS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, auburn41 said:

You know the sad thing is you and Trump are exactly alike.  You disparage people on this site all day everyday, posters, politicians or people in the news (only people that don't agree with politics of course). You don't have any moral high ground to stand on about what you would or wouldn't do.  There are over 36K posts to show the kind of person you are and everyone on this site knows it.  And as I stated before with the bar as low as "two daughters of a NY podiatrist say......50 years ago." we could probably throw some some shade on your claim about not having your "daddy finagle a way out!!!!" #CLUELESS

I disparage people who lie and/or act like fools. That's why this is called the trash talk forum.

You are just trying to distract from the OP - Trump - who relied on a medical fraud set up by his father to avoid the draft has done nothing but disparage on of the great military hero's of this country.  Doing so revealed just how morally depraved of a person is.

But you can keep your focus on me if you think that somehow justifies your love for the Dear Leader.  After all, it's transparent.

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I admire that Homer every male over 18 was reguired to sign up as did I and just like you I had a student deferment with a high draft number. Lucky lucky me. My Dad was a disabled vet from WWII and as you say I would have gone but I'm glad it didn't happen. I had classmates from high school die over there. This is not a jab at you or your Dad Homer just that we were so so lucky we did not have to go. Also I was in many protests against the war my girlfriend at Auburn at the time was a Weatherman Sgt. yes Auburn had Weathermen all be it only 10 members who I was never allowed to see or meet. If you were enrolled at Auburn around 1970 or 71 you would remember a bomb threat at Thach Hall. Well that was Weathermen

As for McCain I truly admire him for his service in Nam and the pain he went thru at Hanoi Hilton especially turning down early release after they found out his Dad was a Admiral. I actually met him and Jeremiah Denton at a function. 

And finally for Trump who avoided the draft he's a prick and low life POS but if we're all honest who are we to say we would not have done the same to avoid Nam if we had the ability to do so.

Nam was the worst god awful s&^% to happen war when it did not have too.

peace sign GIF

I remember sitting in the Sigma Nu house and watching the draft lottery.  Guys were going crazy.  I just sat there and watched, not really caring.  That just shows how stupid and ignorant I was.  It wasn't until the Kent State massacre that I really started to wake up.

The Vietnamese continue to lose people from unexploded ordnance, not to mention the cancers from agent orange.  The Vietnam war is still killing people. It's simply amazing how welcoming the Vietnamese are to Americans now, considering what we did to their country.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I disparage people who lie and/or act like fools. That's why this is called the trash talk forum.

You are just trying to distract from the OP - Trump - who relied on a medical fraud set up by his father to avoid the draft has done nothing but disparage on of the great military hero's of this country.  Doing so revealed just how morally depraved of a person is.

But you can keep your focus on me if you think that somehow justifies your love for the Dear Leader.  After all, it's transparent.

Help me out Homey; which dodges were righteous?  Using your white privilege college deferment?  That ones OK?  Kind of makes you racist doesn't it?

Just so you know, my brother had a college deferment....he joined anyway...with his best friend.  When my time came, I joined.  I personally find your protestations regarding avoiding serving your country a distinction without a difference.   Was your motto Semper Gallanacious Stercor

57 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Help me out Homey; which dodges were righteous?  Using your white privilege college deferment?  That ones OK?  Kind of makes you racist doesn't it?

Just so you know, my brother had a college deferment....he joined anyway...with his best friend.  When my time came, I joined.  I personally find your protestations regarding avoiding serving your country a distinction without a difference.   Was your motto Semper Gallanacious Stercor

There is a difference between taking a legally proscribed deferment and cheating the system to avoid service.

As far as righteous is concerned, considering the immorality of that war, one could make the argument that any way of avoiding service was righteous.  The people who did go were victims of both the war and the lies that created it.

But again, the real point here is what Trump said about McCain.

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

There is a difference between taking a legally proscribed deferment and cheating the system to avoid service.

As far as righteous is concerned, considering the immorality of that war, one could make the argument that any way of avoiding service was righteous.  The people who did go were victims of both the war and the lies that created it.

Sure Homey, that's why you dedicated 2 pages of posts to yours and Trump's deferments....  Like I said, Semper Gallanacious Stercor.....

12 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Sure Homey, that's why you dedicated 2 pages of posts to yours and Trump's deferments....  Like I said, Semper Gallanacious Stercor.....

I was answering questions. I didn't "dedicate" anything,  jerk.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

I remember sitting in the Sigma Nu house and watching the draft lottery.  Guys were going crazy.  I just sat there and watched, not really caring.  That just shows how stupid and ignorant I was.  It wasn't until the Kent State massacre that I really started to wake up.

The Vietnamese continue to lose people from unexploded ordnance, not to mention the cancers from agent orange.  The Vietnam war is still killing people. It's simply amazing how welcoming the Vietnamese are to Americans now, considering what we did to their country.

You were a Sig Nu did you know Bill Dyas??? Theta Chi here right across the street

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I’m glad to know you can determine the morality of all situations. You wasted your talent in your chosen profession. You should have been the “Moral Compass” of the US. #CLUELESS. And I want to state outright that as a veteran I am deeply offended at your statement from a post above about what we did the country of Vietnam. 58K brave US citizens lost their lives by doing what they were directed to do by the stupid politicians that were elected by we the people. You should be ashamed for saying that crap!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

I’m glad to know you can determine the morality of all situations. You wasted your talent in your chosen profession. You should have been the “Moral Compass” of the US. #CLUELESS. And I want to state outright that as a veteran I am deeply offended at your statement from a post above about what we did the country of Vietnam. 58K brave US citizens lost their lives by doing what they were directed to do by the stupid politicians that were elected by we the people. You should be ashamed for saying that crap!!!!!!

Wow, really? 

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

You were a Sig Nu did you know Bill Dyas??? Theta Chi here right across the street

Yep. He was in the class behind me.

3 hours ago, auburn41 said:

It's true.  We dropped more bombs on Vietnam than we did in WWII in it's entirety.  Not to mention the agent orange. It was an immoral war we never should have gotten involved in. Those lives were wasted for no reason.  Facing the truth is nothing to be ashamed of.  Just the opposite.

I'll give Trump credit for taking active measures to avoid it.  He was a lot smarter than me at the time.  I simply lucked out of it.

But I would never disparage someone like McCain for cheap political resentment and envy.

52 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It's true.  We dropped more bombs on Vietnam than we did in WWII in it's entirety.  Not to mention the agent orange. It was an immoral war we never should have gotten involved in. Those lives were wasted for no reason.  Facing the truth is nothing to be ashamed of.  Just the opposite.

I'll give Trump credit for taking active measures to avoid it.  He was a lot smarter than me at the time.  I simply lucked out of it.

But I would never disparage someone like McCain for cheap political resentment and envy.

So I suppose you don't find any irony that in the same post you say, "I would never disparage someone like McCain" while also saying about US GI's "lives were wasted for no reason?"  You disparaged everyone that served, including McCain.  You are a special kind of moron.  

1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

So I suppose you don't find any irony that in the same post you say, "I would never disparage someone like McCain" while also saying about US GI's "lives were wasted for no reason?"  You disparaged everyone that served, including McCain.  You are a special kind of moron.  

No, I just told the truth. The lives lost in that war were lost in vain. 

That doesn't detract from McCain's heroism at all. Just the opposite actually.

17 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Amen brother. He is an embarrassment to the Auburn I love. But he is nothing more than a jayhawk messing with an eagle:wedance:

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

No life is ever wasted.  

Other than respect for their sacrifice, what exactly was gained?

What mission was accomplished?

Should we send people into combat to simply generate hero's?

If we don't learn from our mistakes we will repeat them. (In fact, some would argue Iraq falls into that category.)

Or to put it another way, "the truth shall set you free", even when it's hard to deal with.

And if you had any sense, you would respect that as support for our men and women in the military.  They were sacrificed in Vietnam for no good reason.

20 hours ago, auburn41 said:

And it doesn't matter if that "offends" you or not, it's the truth.

Hell, Vietnamese are still dying from what we did there.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Other than respect for their sacrifice, what exactly was gained?

What mission was accomplished?

Should we send people into combat to simply generate hero's?

If we don't learn from our mistakes we will repeat them. (In fact, some would argue Iraq falls into that category.)

Or to put it another way, "the truth shall set you free", even when it's hard to deal with.

And if you had any sense, you would respect that as support for our men and women in the military.  They were sacrificed in Vietnam for no good reason.

My statement is a belief that no life, no matter how long the life is, is wasted.  I have a lot of gratitude for those who have come before and taught us how to live by their actions, whether they teach us what to do or what not to do.

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

My statement is a belief that no life, no matter how long the life is, is wasted.  I have a lot of gratitude for those who have come before and taught us how to live by their actions, whether they teach us what to do or what not to do.

Fine

Archived