2019 Spring Practice Updates

AUght2win

Auburn is now over the halfway point of spring football practices with Monday's workout the ninth of the 15 allowed by the NCAA. One of the points of emphasis by Coach Gus Malzahn and his staff has been to be more physical at the point of attack. On Monday they gave players from every level the opportunity to go one-on-one with a player on the other side of the ball in "Tiger Drills". It has become a favorite of the players and you can see by their reactions that it's something that gets them going early in a practice. Watch players such as Kenney Britt, Roger McCreary, Tyler Fromm and Malcolm Askew all have big wins in the drill.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-football-players-go-one-on-one-in-Mondays-spring-practice--130785420/

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Zion is gonna be an absolute stud! He may be our "honey badger"

4 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Auburn is now over the halfway point of spring football practices with Monday's workout the ninth of the 15 allowed by the NCAA. One of the points of emphasis by Coach Gus Malzahn and his staff has been to be more physical at the point of attack. On Monday they gave players from every level the opportunity to go one-on-one with a player on the other side of the ball in "Tiger Drills". It has become a favorite of the players and you can see by their reactions that it's something that gets them going early in a practice. Watch players such as Kenney Britt, Roger McCreary, Tyler Fromm and Malcolm Askew all have big wins in the drill.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-football-players-go-one-on-one-in-Mondays-spring-practice--130785420/

Wanna see Seth baby some folk this  season like in that video.

30 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

RJ is too quick. Wish we'd move him back to LB just to get him on the field more often.

Wonder if there was any shake up on the Qb rotations after the scrimmage?  It’ll be interesting to hear if they go live in the 2nd scrimmage to get the rotation trimmed to 2 potential starters working exclusively with the 1st team.  You know Aday will be plain Jane with no contact.

42 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

It’ll be interesting to hear if they go live in the 2nd scrimmage to get the rotation trimmed to 2 potential starters working exclusively with the 1st team.  

1 minute ago, Auburn Kev said:

They should be honestly..need as much live experience as possible IMO.

7 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

They should be honestly..need as much live experience as possible IMO.

I suppose an argument can be made that having them wear the orange jerseys takes away some of the scrambling element and forces them to stand in the pocket, go through their progressions, etc a little more. But I don't know whether or not that argument is remotely legit. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I suppose an argument can be made that having them wear the orange jerseys takes away some of the scrambling element and forces them to stand in the pocket, go through their progressions, etc a little more. But I don't know whether or not that argument is remotely legit. 

That would be a good argument tbh. I just feel like how much true skeleton passing is happening under Gus?! You know? 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's a good point, but if they go live we would see who bails too quick and who stands tall to make those progressions.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

That would be a good argument tbh. I just feel like how much true skeleton passing is happening under Gus?! You know? 

20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That's a good point, but if they go live we would see who bails too quick and who stands tall to make those progressions.

Agreed on all. 

It’s a damned if you do and damned if you don’t scenario.  I’ve been on here when people were pitching fits for Gus not letting the Qbs go live.  I’ve also seen where Tyler Queen got injured and never made it back after a live scrimmage.  I’m for live scrimmages and I’m sure the coaches emphasize no kill shots.  No need for highlight tackles in practice.  Auburn already lost Deal due a practice injury.  I think it was the kids first practice too.  

53 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

It’s a damned if you do and damned if you don’t scenario.  I’ve been on here when people were pitching fits for Gus not letting the Qbs go live.  I’ve also seen where Tyler Queen got injured and never made it back after a live scrimmage.  I’m for live scrimmages and I’m sure the coaches emphasize no kill shots.  No need for highlight tackles in practice.  Auburn already lost Deal due a practice injury.  I think it was the kids first practice too.  

Queen actually did make it back and played in two games prior to his decision to leave. This is a different injury mind you from the first one that he had due to playing high school baseball. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Queen actually did make it back and played in two games prior to his decision to leave. This is a different injury mind you from the first one that he had due to playing high school baseball. 

I stand corrected but I think you get the point I was trying to make. 

Just now, Win4AU said:

I stand corrected but I think you get the point I was trying to make. 

To an extent yes. I don't think this scenario applies. Just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

IIRC, Tyler Queen was one of those guys who would've gotten injured doing his laundry if it hadn't happened on the football field. Some guys just can't stay healthy. 

I don't agree with coaching under the assumption that guys are going to get hurt. Injuries probably happen almost as often in training and in other non-contact scenarios as they do from contact. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

IIRC, Tyler Queen was one of those guys who would've gotten injured doing his laundry if it hadn't happened on the football field. Some guys just can't stay healthy. 

I don't agree with coaching under the assumption that guys are going to get hurt. Injuries probably happen almost as often in training and in other non-contact scenarios as they do from contact. 

Sometimes playing not to get hurt actually leads to getting injured. I believe the injuries to three of our players last year were non contact -Newkirk and White lightning 🌩 are examples , but I can’t remember the other.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed.  Go live but don't be stupid.  Don't blindside with a kill shot.  Stay above the knees and no head shots.  Be smart and let natural selection take it's course.

29 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Agreed.  Go live but don't be stupid.  Don't blindside with a kill shot.  Stay above the knees and no head shots.  Be smart and let natural selection take it's course.

Exactly. One of the young LBs was talking about it. He said he enjoys the QBs being live but he approaches it differently. This kids aren't idiots and they all want to win. 

If anyone listens to the Wes Neighbors radio show ( comes on after Finebaum in Huntsville) Pat Dye was on yesterday. Talked about what he is seeing in practice. Interesting I don’t know if they have a podcast or not. 

I remember that one practice Borges let our QBs go live...ruined Neil Caudle's career when he broke his wrist.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

If anyone listens to the Wes Neighbors radio show ( comes on after Finebaum in Huntsville) Pat Dye was on yesterday. Talked about what he is seeing in practice. Interesting I don’t know if they have a podcast or not. 

Can you summarize or give any insight?

Archived