2019 Spring Practice Updates

AUght2win

On 4/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, AU64 said:

Guess it's a risk vs reward situation.   Doomsday might be slim but reward of playing live in a practice game is not that great either...in fact, probably no potential reward at all as far as the coach or players are concerned.    And no point in showing the opposition anything either....but I'm still interested to see what the guys look like even in a restricted practice. 

I feel like you’re talking about the A day game, and not closed practices. QBs probably won’t be live. We don’t have enough DBs for Gatewood to run over.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Doesn’t the cash go to charity? Or am I making that up

Yes, it goes to charity.

13 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I feel like you’re talking about the A day game, and not closed practices. QBs probably won’t be live. We don’t have enough DBs for Gatewood to run over.

Yep....I'm all in favor of closed practices and A Day games that reveals NOTHING about the team or players.    

Like the military...nobody telling the world what our nuclear subs or super carriers are really capable of.....show they the vanilla stuff so they know they are out there....but keep folks guessing about what they can do at crunch time.   

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, it goes to charity.

I was stuck thinking it was either charity or the nursing school. Can’t remember. 

I thought this scrimmage was supposed to be a veteran scrimmage?  All our Qbs are young 😁

Sounds like Gus didn’t stick around to answer many questions.  He’s heading north to the land of lakes and Auburn Tigers b-ball.

if auburn is giving their a dy money to charity then i have no more gripes.

Tigers go young in 2nd scrimmage

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports.com AUBURN |

Gus Malzahn has a pretty good idea what his veteran players can do. So Saturday’s second scrimmage of the spring focused on the younger players, the backups.

And instead of holding a full scrimmage like last week, Malzahn cut today’s workout into a half-practice/half-scrimmage, with the practice portion focusing on special situations.

“We did some 2nd and 10 situations and then we did some 3rd down and 2. After that we really scrimmaged our twos and our threes,” Malzahn said. “And some of the orange guys, some of the first-team guys, got to rotate in that needed more reps. We went about 50, 55 plays.

“Overall, there’s whole lot of teaching that can come from a day like this, specifically the quarterbacks being young with the two-minute situations.”

Auburn athletics Malzahn didn’t say much, he had to shower and hop on a plane, but several of the players plus a couple of onlookers had praise for quarterbacks Joey Gatewood and Bo Nix running back D.J. Williams, and defensive backs Traivon Leonard, Devan Barrett and Roger McCreary.

Some of the veterans also rotated into the scrimmage including wide receiver Sal Cannella, who had a couple of long receptions.

Gatewood and Nix got a lot of reps, but Malzahn is still holding back on making anything but a very general statement on the still four-way battle for the starting quarterback position.

“I’m not ready to say anything about anybody starting to distance themselves,” Malzahn said.

Saturday’s workout completed Auburn’s 11 of 15 practices this spring. The Tigers will go Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week before wrapping it all up with the A-Day game Saturday at 3 p.m. CT on SEC Network.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:33 PM, Win4AU said:

Pretty sure Aday at Auburn was free up until 2009-2010

It may have been free at some point, but it used to cost to get in. I remember Pat Dye donating the proceeds to the library, way back when.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

It may have been free at some point, but it used to cost to get in. I remember Pat Dye donating the proceeds to the library, way back when.

Maybe it’s always been $5?  I’ve been to so few of them I can’t remember.  I might actually head down this year if the weather is nice.  I’m sure they’ll do something nice for the b-ball team.  “Fans direct your attention to the Jumbotron etc”

On 4/2/2019 at 7:55 PM, Win4AU said:

It’s a damned if you do and damned if you don’t scenario.  I’ve been on here when people were pitching fits for Gus not letting the Qbs go live.  I’ve also seen where Tyler Queen got injured and never made it back after a live scrimmage.  I’m for live scrimmages and I’m sure the coaches emphasize no kill shots.  No need for highlight tackles in practice.  Auburn already lost Deal due a practice injury.  I think it was the kids first practice too.  

Exactly. The fan base if we dont go live with the QBs in the spring:

“We cant tackle and aren’t tough enough. We need to be going live in the spring.”

The fan base if we go live in the spring and get guys injured: 

“Coaches need to be fired. The amount of injuries is ridiculous.”

20 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Exactly. A few clowns in The fan base if we dont go live with the QBs in the spring:

“We cant tackle and aren’t tough enough. We need to be going live in the spring.”

A few clowns in The fan base if we go live in the spring and get guys injured: 

“Coaches need to be fired. The amount of injuries is ridiculous.”

Most reasonable people in the fan base:

"It will help the coaches get a better idea of what our inexperienced QBs might be capable of in a real game situation if they go live more this spring than they have in the past. Also, we have 4 perfectly healthy guys and a couple of them are pretty big dudes."

FIFY

Don't worry. Common mistake. People have a natural tendency to mistake a few loudmouths for the entire flock. 

Anybody hear any additional info about the scrimmage Saturday?  I know Bo and Joey got a bunch of reps but anything else?

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Anybody hear any additional info about the scrimmage Saturday?  I know Bo and Joey got a bunch of reps but anything else?

Take it for the grain of salt that it is worth....  Local radio guy this morning said that he was hearing that Bo & Joey got reps because the second & third strings were the ones doing most of the work.  And from that the guy deduced that Malik was the front runner.  He also said that GM was very brief after because he was trying to get on the plane to make trip to F4.

8 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Take it for the grain of salt that it is worth....  Local radio guy this morning said that he was hearing that Bo & Joey got reps because the second & third strings were the ones doing most of the work.  And from that the guy deduced that Malik was the front runner.  He also said that GM was very brief after because he was trying to get on the plane to make trip to F4.

Grain of salt ingested. That QB stuff is the opposite of everything I've heard. But I know nothing except that it's an ongoing investigation...

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Grain of salt ingested. That QB stuff is the opposite of everything I've heard. But I know nothing except that it's an ongoing investigation...

I would take that info and assume that Nix and Joey got the majority of the reps because Gus is still trying to find enough separation to make one the main guy.  If it was just because it was the 2s and 3s why isn’t Chord getting tons of reps?.  He’s just as new as Joey.

19 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

He deduced from that MW was the front runner? Not shooting the messenger but that seems like a huuuuuuge reach.

30 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Local radio guy this morning said that he was hearing that Bo & Joey got reps because the second & third strings were the ones doing most of the work.  And from that the guy deduced that Malik was the front runner. 

That local radio guy is wrong.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I would take that info and assume that Nix and Joey got the majority of the reps because Gus is still trying to find enough separation to make one the main guy.  If it was just because it was the 2s and 3s why isn’t Chord getting tons of reps?.  He’s just as new as Joey.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

He deduced from that MW was the front runner? Not shooting the messenger but that seems like a huuuuuuge reach.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

These.

Dang I am going to have to post more from him.  That 1 post got more response than anything I have posted in a long time.  

BTW I knew it was bull, just relaying the information

Think since the word is that Malik is still looking like...Malik and not looking like it's gonna change much. They wanted to see more from Bo and Joey.

Glad to see we did some situational 2nd and 10 work. This isn't quite the type of thinking ahead I wanted to see from Gus but I guess practicing for what happens after the 1st down play for no gain up the gut is a start ;)

On 4/8/2019 at 1:20 PM, bigbird said:

FTR, Malzahn said he already had plenty of information on Malik Willis. I think it means Willis will be on his way out soon. Willis is just as raw as the rest of the QBs and needs just much reps as the rest of em.

Archived