2019 Spring Practice Updates

AUght2win

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Agreed.  Go live but don't be stupid.  Don't blindside with a kill shot.  Stay above the knees and no head shots.  Be smart and let natural selection take it's course.

Going live would be an advantage to Gatewood and could separate him from the other contenders.  Time will tell.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Going live would be an advantage to Gatewood and could separate him from the other contenders.  Time will tell.

I agree that would be an advantage to Gatewood in that it would let him play his full game, but it occurs to me that it might provide similar or equal advantages to the other guys. And maybe that's the disadvantage that Gus has put some of his guys at in previous years by not letting them go live. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Can you summarize or give any insight?

https://m.soundcloud.com/espn-97-7-the-zone/drive-dye-smith-4-2-20

o line light years better than same time last year. Kim will never be strong as he should but he’s getting better at getting in the defense’s way. ( I was trying to listen but had other things going on) but they like Stutts on line. 

High on Gatewood. Says it appears to be a two man race. Bo is competing with him. 

He can see a difference in Gus now running offense. 

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not me. 

Basketball alone is about to kill me. ;D

I have enjoyed it immensely. Two months ago I wrote this team off. They have far exceeded any expectations I had even at the end of last year. But I don’t think I have ever attended an Auburn basketball game. Even this year until the tournament I only watched 3-4 games in their entirety. So I am probably the definition of a bandwagon fan. 

I just think I could handle the same amount of information on spring football as I normally get. It’s the folks giving that info that’s not keeping up. I can deal with that another few days though. 

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I agree that would be an advantage to Gatewood in that it would let him play his full game, but it occurs to me that it might provide similar or equal advantages to the other guys. And maybe that's the disadvantage that Gus has put some of his guys at in previous years by not letting them go live. 

Can't recall the last time we've had what looks like quality depth at QB to take a chance that we could afford to take a chance on a fluke injury.

So wonder if they will go live at A day?  AU is like most schools I guess.....the spring game seems designed to get the fans on campus and excited about the fall....and not give anything away about the team. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't recall the last time we've had what looks like quality depth at QB to take a chance that we could afford to take a chance on a fluke injury.

So wonder if they will go live at A day?  AU is like most schools I guess.....the spring game seems designed to get the fans on campus and excited about the fall....and not give anything away about the team. 

I'm okay if they don't go live at A Day. I agree with you that A Day isn't where the sausage gets made.

They need to be going live in the other scrimmages, although I did post elsewhere that I can understand certain scenarios where putting on the orange jersey- and taking scrambles out of the equation- could be a unique test unto itself. As for depth, I'm not sure if Gus has actually known whether he had it or not because he hasn't gauged what the guys can do under live fire. Maybe in 2015 Sean White starts the season or at least starts earlier in the season if Gus has found out what his guys were really capable of before the season started. 

Edit: Either way, I don't believe in making major decisions that impact your team's chances of success based on slim-chance doomsday scenarios. 

I’d put Qbs going live Aday at 10%.  Maybe Cord or #15 in clean up duty.  Didn’t they practice yesterday?  I was thinking MWF scrimmage Saturday?

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

They won’t go live at A day they will be very vanilla. They will try not to show any flaws. A-day is more of for the fans and player showing off to family, than actually for practice purpose. Just my thought.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: Either way, I don't believe in making major decisions that impact your team's chances of success based on slim-chance doomsday scenarios. 

Edited by McLoofus

Guess it's a risk vs reward situation.   Doomsday might be slim but reward of playing live in a practice game is not that great either...in fact, probably no potential reward at all as far as the coach or players are concerned.    And no point in showing the opposition anything either....but I'm still interested to see what the guys look like even in a restricted practice. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

playing live in a practice game is not that great either...in fact, probably no potential reward at all as far as the coach or players are concerned.

What makes you say that? I mean, you could be right, I guess... but you really don't think there's any benefit whatsoever to seeing how QBs perform when there's actually a chance of being tackled by a 300 lb DL vs no fear of meaningful contact whatsoever? You don't think that's good info for the coaches, or good especially for a true freshman like Nix to get that out of the way before his first actual game? I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. 

As for showing the opposition anything, practices are closed...

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What makes you say that? I mean, you could be right, I guess... but you really don't think there's any benefit whatsoever to seeing how QBs perform when there's actually a chance of being tackled by a 300 lb DL vs no fear of meaningful contact whatsoever? You don't think that's good info for the coaches, or good especially for a true freshman like Nix to get that out of the way before his first actual game? I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. 

As for showing the opposition anything, practices are closed...

I'm referring to live during A-Day....you mention the doomsday scenario....yet folks frequently defend players who decide not to take a risk playing in a meaningless bowl game.    So.....I guess this also means that top players and coaches should not take the risk of having the QB's live in a meaningless game where nobody even keeps score.  Coaches likely know all they need to know by then.....but it would make the game more fun to watch. .   I recall seeing MW break free in the A Day a couple years ago and was downright giddy with expectation for what he would be able to do with a year or two of experience.  Shows what I know?  :dunno:

Just now, AU64 said:

I'm referring to live during A-Day....you mention the doomsday scenario....yet folks frequently defend players who decide not to take a risk playing in a meaningless bowl game.    So.....I guess this also means that top players and coaches should not take the risk of having the QB's live in a meaningless game where nobody even keeps score.  Coaches likely know all they need to know by then.....but it would make the game more fun to watch. .   I recall seeing MW break free in the A Day a couple years ago and was downright giddy with expectation for what he would be able to do with a year or two of experience.  Shows what I know?  :dunno:

Oh, I already said that I agree about A Day and that I was only talking about going live in other scrimmages.

As for departing players skipping bowl games, that's a massively false equivalency. 

As for departing players skipping bowl games, that's a massively false equivalency.

disagree....just saying it's a risk reward decision that someone is making....player in the bowl games or coaches during practice games.  

Just now, AU64 said:

disagree....just saying it's a risk reward decision that someone is making....player in the bowl games or coaches during practice games.  

But the potential rewards are completely different. 

It's like equating buying a lottery ticket to wearing a seatbelt. 

But the potential rewards are completely different. 

It's like equating buying a lottery ticket to wearing a seatbelt. 

Shoot it is more like buying the winning lottery ticket . I can’t think of a single guy who chose  to sit out a bowl game not get drafted. You may or may  not get hurt in a live scrimmage.

On 4/3/2019 at 2:56 PM, homersapien said:

Not me. 

Basketball alone is about to kill me. ;D

Same here!  I remember not too long ago, folks were starting to write this team off and were saying that it would be a miracle if we made it to the NCAA tourney. Even if we go no further than we have, it is still something beyond special and then some!  My gut feeling tells me we will beat UVA and play MSU for all of the marbles. The idea of winning a NC in basketball makes me feel gloriously absolute giddy beyond belief!  It is much harder to win a NC in basketball than it is in football any day of the week! 

If we win it all, maybe Charmin will make a special toilet paper and donate a couple hundred thousand roles of this special paper for rolling Toomers!  We need to have an anti-updyke moment of silence before the rolling procedes! 

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

If we win it all, maybe Charmin will make a special toilet paper and donate a couple hundred thousand roles of this special paper for rolling Toomers!  We need to have an anti-updyke moment of silence before the rolling procedes! 

That's a thought, we should try and get Charmin or another brand to Sponsor some of our athletic endeavors

13 hours ago, DAG said:

Shoot it is more like buying the winning lottery ticket . I can’t think of a single guy who chose  to sit out a bowl game not get drafted. You may or may  not get hurt in a live scrimmage.

...and the potential rewards are completely different. One is practical- finding out which of your QBs perform better or worse under live fire- and the other is emotional- one last ride with your boys, being there for your teammates, whatever. 

64 and some others love to crap on the kids for any decision that involves prioritizing their futures and their ability to provide for their families. 

i know it is pocket change but i really dislike auburn charges people to watch an admitted vanilla game and someone i dislike like the turds do not charge fans. i am pretty sure auburn has tons of money from folks saying auburn could buy out our contract with gus. is there a reason they charge for the aday game i might not have thought about?

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i know it is pocket change but i really dislike auburn charges people to watch an admitted vanilla game and someone i dislike like the turds do not charge fans. i am pretty sure auburn has tons of money from folks saying auburn could buy out our contract with gus. is there a reason they charge for the aday game i might not have thought about?

Pretty sure Aday at Auburn was free up until 2009-2010

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

So that's what "All In" means. 

Had to pay for Cam somehow.  Wink wink.

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Doesn’t the cash go to charity? Or am I making that up

Archived