2019 Spring Practice Updates

AUght2win

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I think you have it wrong.  The order should be and will be 1. Joey 2. Bo 3. Cord 4, Willis.  I thought this was cleared up in that misinformation was given concerning the pecking order.  If willis is #1, we are in a world of hurt and will be lucky to win 4 or 5 games. I think come Saturday, we will see Joey and Bo taking the lions share of snaps. I am not saying Willis is a horrible QB but he is not an SEC caliber QB and this will be cleared up Saturday.

Using that logic... If MW were to beat out Bo and JG then it would mean he’s either really good or the other two are really bad! I don’t think the other two are really bad, so...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I think you have it wrong.  The order should be and will be 1. Joey 2. Bo 3. Cord 4, Willis.  I thought this was cleared up in that misinformation was given concerning the pecking order.  If willis is #1, we are in a world of hurt and will be lucky to win 4 or 5 games. I think come Saturday, we will see Joey and Bo taking the lions share of snaps. I am not saying Willis is a horrible QB but he is not an SEC caliber QB and this will be cleared up Saturday.

Well, you are pretty much calling him a horrible QB by saying we would win maybe 4 or 5 games with him there. That is Arkansas bad. I don't think MW will win the job, but stuff like the comments above is really pissing me off. And you would be the first person on his jock if he stayed and made an impact somewhere else on the field for Auburn. I hope if he doesn't win the job, he does stay at Auburn and make a world of difference, wherever he may end up. I also will be in full support of him, if he competes and win the job at the QB position.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Well, you are pretty much calling him a horrible QB by saying we would win maybe 4 or 5 games with him there. That is Arkansas bad. I don't think MW will win the job, but stuff like the comments above is really pissing me off. And you would be the first person on his jock if he stayed and made an impact somewhere else on the field for Auburn. I hope if he doesn't win the job, he does stay at Auburn and make a world of difference, wherever he may end up. I also will be in full support of him, if he competes and win the job at the QB position.

and the malik has a bad attitude because he does not smile or high five much? unless i read that wrong that is total bull.

15 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

That would be interesting, do you mean transfer someplace to play QB? 

Yes.  And that is total speculation with no substantial basis whatsoever.  So if you take it for what it's worth that's 0.   (as is the case with most of my posts. 😀

My thought is that he has been the #2 for 2 years, then this year I think he may get beat out by a RSFR and a TF.  Therefore, in that scenario his options would be 1. stay buried on the depth chart and enjoy his scholarship for a wonderful education.  2. Swap positions to hopefully get some playing time (He is an exceptional athlete, so this is legitimate possibility) or 3. Transfer to another school in hopes of becoming the starting QB.   Whatever may happen in our QB race, and if this scenario plays out, whatever Malik decides, I wish him the best.

15 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I still don’t get the disrespect for Malik. People are drawing entirely too much from the minimal reps he’s gotten in garbage time in games. 

Also, from practice notes, it seems like the current pecking order at QB in practices is 1. Malik; 2/3. Gatewood and Bo; 4. Cort. Malik had been consistently working with the 1’s, so...?

13 hours ago, gr82be said:

Whose notes are you referring to? Please share them. 

Yes, please. 

14 hours ago, gr82be said:

Whose notes are you referring to? Please share them. 

Per an al.com practice notes article earlier this week...

“Malik Willis got the first rep with the first-team offensive line, while Joey Gatewood got the first snap with the second-team unit. Bo Nix alternated with Willis, while Cord Sandberg rotated with Gatewood on the second team.”

To me, this sounds like Willis is number 1 right now and Cord is number 4, with the other two falling in between. That’s not to say Willis will win the job, but, from this, I don’t see how anyone can say he’s not showing at least equivalent talent to Bo and Joey.

I also saw an interview with a player a week ago where he said something like “all three are strong,” and elaborated that Malik, Joey, and Bo were all looking good in different ways. Unfortunately, I can’t find that article now.

But it seems consistent with the idea that Malik is a legitimately possible candidate to be our starter next year. It also seems consistent with the idea that Cort is behind the other 3.

34 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Per an al.com practice notes article earlier this week...

“Malik Willis got the first rep with the first-team offensive line, while Joey Gatewood got the first snap with the second-team unit. Bo Nix alternated with Willis, while Cord Sandberg rotated with Gatewood on the second team.”

To me, this sounds like Willis is number 1 right now and Cord is number 4, with the other two falling in between. That’s not to say Willis will win the job, but, from this, I don’t see how anyone can say he’s not showing at least equivalent talent to Bo and Joey.

I also saw an interview with a player a week ago where he said something like “all three are strong,” and elaborated that Malik, Joey, and Bo were all looking good in different ways. Unfortunately, I can’t find that article now.

But it seems consistent with the idea that Malik is a legitimately possible candidate to be our starter next year. It also seems consistent with the idea that Cort is behind the other 3.

Based strictly on that, I see why you thought that. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Pump the friction, brakes!

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Based strictly on that, I see why you thought that. 

And for the record, I’m not saying Malik will start. I’m just suggesting the competition is a little tighter than some folks on here are suggesting. 

TBH, I don’t know who I think will win it, or how to feel about it. I can see seven scenarios, all with legitimate rationales: 1. Bo is the best, so he starts. 2. Joey is the best, so he starts. 3. Malik is the best, so he starts. 4. At least Bo can throw an accurate pass, so he starts, even though he may not be ready. 5. Malik hasn’t panned out at all and Bo isn’t read, so Joey starts and we struggle. 6. Joey hasn’t panned out at all and Bo isn’t read, so Malik starts and we struggle. 7. Cort comes out of left field and wins the job late.

I think all are reasonably plausible. I also don’t think we’ve seen enough of any QB in college games where we weren’t winning by 30 to say any of our projections with complete confidence. I also think a lot of people are guilty of major confirmation bias on this starting QB issue. Objectively, We know almost nothing about any of these guys.

Update:  Gus has completed another year of Spring practices of which all have been great.  He now is focusing on having another perfect fall ball to maintain that streak.

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Update:  Gus has completed another year of Spring practices of which all have been great.  He now is focusing on having another perfect fall ball to maintain that streak.

Completely accurate statements. I would add that I suspect we will be three or four games into the 2019 season before CGM decides what offense he has the personnel to run, and which quarterback is going to run it. That would be just so CGM ;D!

2 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Completely accurate statements. I would add that I suspect we will be three or four games into the 2019 season before CGM decides what offense he has the personnel to run, and which quarterback is going to run it. That would be just so CGM ;D!

Sometimes that works and sometimes not....Clemson had a really hotshot freshman QB but did not start him for several games.....worked him into the lineup and that was the end of Kelly Bryant's career at Clemson. If you just watch football in general you will see that it's not uncommon for a team to not settle on a QB at the start of the season...even when one is a returning player.   With the new redshirt rule I'm hoping that Bo and Joey both get some serious time the first few games, maybe based on field position or such. 

45 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

“No Doubt” said like Jay Tate said like Gus.

Sorry....did not mean to intrude into a bash Gus fest.....…thought this forum topic was to share opinions about practice and what to expect from the QB selection process..   Looks like I should have checked to see who was posting....that would have clued me in.....,my bad :no:

Seems to be the most popular subject. Let's bash Gus. I think people are going to be very surprised at the outcome of the QB race and our season Just my gut feeling. Time will tell..

WDE

The frustration is that somehow Gus has managed to put together the best defenses AU has had in over a decade and his offensive genius brain can’t find a way to capitalize on it. How he has completely reversed 2014 is crazy

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Sometimes that works and sometimes not....Clemson had a really hotshot freshman QB but did not start him for several games.....worked him into the lineup and that was the end of Kelly Bryant's career at Clemson. If you just watch football in general you will see that it's not uncommon for a team to not settle on a QB at the start of the season...even when one is a returning player.   With the new redshirt rule I'm hoping that Bo and Joey both get some serious time the first few games, maybe based on field position or such. 

I agree with everything else you said, but the statement in bold is just plain ridiculous.   Only sounds like something one of the Gus pumpers would say, not anyone who pays attention to football.

1 hour ago, Slammer1 said:

Seems to be the most popular subject. Let's bash Gus. I think people are going to be very surprised at the outcome of the QB race and our season Just my gut feeling. Time will tell..

WDE

Have to say I’ve heard nothing but positive reports about both lines up front. Don’t think people should assume the worst yet either.  

20 hours ago, DAG said:

If Willis wins the job and does a great job doing so, I promise you I will be the first to admit being wrong.  I just do not see it happening. I want Auburn to win and win big whoever the QB happens to be.  I keep reading from sources over again that Joey and Bo have separated themselves from the pack.  My intention was not to piss anyone off but to express my opinion. I am usually not this harsh and apologize for offending anyone. I will be a more respectful poster in the future in that this is my usual style.

I have some serious life threatening issues I am battling and the meds tend to make me upset over things that I normally let roll off of my back. I guess trying to live in moment can be a bit overrated when you are not sure how many moments you have ahead of you. My apologies to you DAG and anyone else I may have offended with my post. Avastin is a nasty med that can make one crazy and has done a number on this old geezer! 

I am looking forward to seeing the A-Day game and hope the best man rises to the top whoever the Good Lord has in his plans.

46 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If Willis wins the job and does a great job doing so, I promise you I will be the first to admit being wrong.  I just do not see it happening. I want Auburn to win and win big whoever the QB happens to be.  I keep reading from sources over again that Joey and Bo have separated themselves from the pack.  My intention was not to piss anyone off but to express my opinion. I am usually not this harsh and apologize for offending anyone. I will be a more respectful poster in the future in that this is my usual style.

I have some serious life threatening issues I am battling and the meds tend to make me upset over things that I normally let roll off of my back. I guess trying to live in moment can be a bit overrated when you are not sure how many moments you have ahead of you. My apologies to you DAG and anyone else I may have offended with my post. Avastin is a nasty med that can make one crazy and has done a number on this old geezer! 

I am looking forward to seeing the A-Day game and hope the best man rises to the top whoever the Good Lord has in his plans.

No need to apologies doc. You are definitely in my prayers and I am sorry for being as aggressive in my post and tone. It’s not necessarily you , it’s just I have gotten in this debate with a few other posters beforehand. I just want the best man to win the job. I would hate for Cord or Willis to win the job and the fan base just call the season a wash because of so. That just doesn’t sit right with me, but it is opinion based and I need to handle it better. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

No need to apologies doc. You are definitely on my prayers and I am sorry for being as aggressive in my post and tone. It’s not necessarily you , it’s just I have gotten in this debate with a few other posters beforehand. I just want the best man to win the job. I would hate for Cord or Willis to win the job and the fan base just call the season a wash because of so. That just doesn’t sit right with me, but it is opinion based and I need to handle it better. 

all is good my friend! I have always enjoyed your posts and know you have the same desire for Auburn football to be great. I need to get into the car and make a trip to Walmart for some Charmin TP.  Too bad I could not use it on Toomer's Corner in that this would be far more enjoyable.  Why don't all get together after A Day and discuss the QB race in a respectful way to all involved. I have to stop and remember that these young men all want to win and want to do it to the best of their abilities.

I really like Dilly as our QB coach and think he will help to get the most out of whoever wins the job. I will be tuned into the SEC channel Saturday with a bowl of Blue Belle HOmemade Vanilla in that this is one of the last goodies my GI tract will tolerate!

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I remember a while back at Mississippi State when they started a QB that gave way to Dak Prescott during Dak's inaugural season . I will do some research to find out who the QB was. This does happen and could happen to us in all honesty. My hearts desire is for us to find the right QB whoever he may be and let him run the offense. I am willing to give Gus a chance to run the offense and win a lot of games. Not sure what is going to happen and hope the best for Auburn football regardless of who is the HC. This is going to be a very intriguing season. I am going to make a consorted effort to not bash anyone and to give all folks the respect they deserve on this board. 

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I remember a while back at Mississippi State when they started a QB that gave way to Dak Prescott during Dak's inaugural season . I will do some research to find out who the QB was. This does happen and could happen to us in all honesty. My hearts desire is for us to find the right QB whoever he may be and let him run the offense. I am willing to give Gus a chance to run the offense and win a lot of games. Not sure what is going to happen and hope the best for Auburn football regardless of who is the HC. This is going to be a very intriguing season. I am going to make a consorted effort to not bash anyone and to give all folks the respect they deserve on this board. 

I do believe you are speaking of one Mr. Tyler Russell.

Archived