2019 Spring Practice Updates

AUght2win

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Glad to see we did some situational 2nd and 10 work. This isn't quite the type of thinking ahead I wanted to see from Gus but I guess practicing for what happens after the 1st down play for no gain up the gut is a start ;)

From what I read, I believe Gus also said we worked on third down, too. Believe one of the 247 writers wrote we did some situational work on 2nd and 10 and third and 2. lol

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st and 10 dive up the middle for no gain, 2nd 10 bubble pass to the outside for gain of 8, 3 and 2 double fake jet sweep long bomb, punt.

I'm a Malik fan....want to see him using that talent somewhere on the field and just hate that he's gonna waste the spring running in 3rd place. 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm a Malik fan....want to see him using that talent somewhere on the field and just hate that he's gonna waste the spring running in 3rd place. 

By summer, I expect he will be in the secondary, which he could flourish at being a QB previously.  Of course, if he actually chooses to stay.

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

10 hours ago, DAG said:

By summer, I expect he will be in the secondary, which he could flourish at being a QB previously.  Of course, if he actually chooses to stay.

I'm not sure he's even running 3rd.

One thing I keep reminding myself of when it comes to Willis is that he's not Shea Patterson or Jalen Hurts. We're the only P5 school- maybe the only school period?- that offered him at QB. The fact that he's getting passed by guys like Gatewood, Nix, and even Sandberg is what we should have expected, really.  

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One thing I keep reminding myself of when it comes to Willis is that he's not Shea Patterson or Jalen Hurts. We're the only P5 school- maybe the only school period?- that offered him at QB. The fact that he's getting passed by guys like Gatewood, Nix, and even Sandberg is what we should have expected, really.  

That's my understanding and we kept him there as the back-up for JS last year...but that task has been completed.   He was serviceable in an emergency but is not going to be even be the back-up now.    Hope someone has had a heart to heart with him on that point.....time for him to take the next step while there is time for him to develop the skills to play regularly. 

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's my understanding and we kept him there as the back-up for JS last year...but that task has been completed.   He was serviceable in an emergency but is not going to be even be the back-up now.    Hope someone has had a heart to heart with him on that point.....time for him to take the next step while there is time for him to develop the skills to play regularly. 

Perfectly stated IMO. 

49 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is my understanding as well, which is why I don’t understand why he gets ripped to shred at times. Seems to me he is competing , going to class and staying out of trouble .

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is my understanding as well, which is why I don’t understand why he gets ripped to shred at times. Seems to me he is competing , going to class and staying out of trouble .

I've been harsh in my assessment of his play. Hopefully I've avoided making it personal. Regardless, I do hope he finds a role at Auburn. Can't help but want good things to happen for a guy such as what you describe.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This is my understanding as well, which is why I don’t understand why he gets ripped to shred at times.

I think part of it is his personality can rub off on people the wrong way.  And part of that may be the fan base's fault for over-hyping him when he first arrived and thought he was to be the next Nick Marshall.  It may have gone to his head, where his body language reflected that.  Just my opinion of course.  I had no issue with Malik, I just love Bo Nix.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I think part of it is his personality can rub off on people the wrong way.  And part of that may be the fan base's fault for over-hyping him when he first arrived and thought he was to be the next Nick Marshall.  It may have gone to his head, where his body language reflected that.  Just my opinion of course.  I had no issue with Malik, I just love Bo Nix.

What exactly about his body language 

Competition breeds success. If recruiting is done correctly and at a high level, then you should be bringing in players that are equal to or better than those brought in with prior classes. By doing so, players are put on notice that they will either need to step up or get pushed aside. That fear drives players to find ways to push past and fight through their own perceived barriers and limitations. They miraculously find ways to rise up and really compete with eachother all the while the bs players love to prop up as to why they can't or couldn't just fades away.

Healthy programs have youth all over the place battling for PT. The great coaches recognize talent and ability and utilize whomever, regardless of age or seniority. That said, no matter the outcome of position battles, the fight and drive to be the best is infectious and forges the drive, attitudes, and mental toughness that define championship level teams.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

What exactly about his body language 

There were a few times when he was on the field and was letting his emotions get the best of him when he wasn’t allowed to open up and throw.  If you watch the practice videos, all of the quarterbacks are high fiving people and Malik doesn’t do much of that.  And I don’t think I have ever seen him smile.  That stuff really doesn’t matter to me but I know a few people have brought that up on here before.  

My total guess is that Malik transfers shortly after Spring ball.  Joey and Bo battle it out through Fall practice.  Joey is eventually named starter, but Bo also gets playing time.

Gus also designs a few plays where they are both on the field at the same time.   One of them involves a whirlybird with Joey eventually handing the ball off to Spencer Nigh for a 2 yard loss.  The other involves Bo throwing a TD pass to Joey in the corner of the EZ!  But only one of them will actually get used in a game.  

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

My total guess is that Malik transfers shortly after Spring ball.  Joey and Bo battle it out through Fall practice.  Joey is eventually named starter, but Bo also gets playing time.

Gus also designs a few plays where they are both on the field at the same time.   One of them involves a whirlybird with Joey eventually handing the ball off to Spencer Nigh for a 2 yard loss.  The other involves Bo throwing a TD pass to Joey in the corner of the EZ!  But only one of them will actually get used in a game.  

That’s not a bad idea seeing how Joey played at the receiver position quite a bit through hs! He was pretty darned good at it too.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

That’s not a bad idea seeing how Joey played at the receiver position quite a bit through hs! He was pretty darned good at it too.

From everything I have read on here Joey seems to be quite an athlete. I think if we could have both Joey and Bo on the field at the same time it would really be quite a weapon.  and a nightmare for the opposing defenses. I am fairly sure Gus realizes this also. I just think Bo is more of a quarterback and Joey is more suited for a wildcat role. I can't wait for A -Day  so I can see both of them in action. JMO

WDE!!

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

That would be interesting, do you mean transfer someplace to play QB? 

I still don’t get the disrespect for Malik. People are drawing entirely too much from the minimal reps he’s gotten in garbage time in games. 

Also, from practice notes, it seems like the current pecking order at QB in practices is 1. Malik; 2/3. Gatewood and Bo; 4. Cort. Malik had been consistently working with the 1’s, so...?

40 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I still don’t get the disrespect for Malik. People are drawing entirely too much from the minimal reps he’s gotten in garbage time in games. 

Also, from practice notes, it seems like the current pecking order at QB in practices is 1. Malik; 2/3. Gatewood and Bo; 4. Cort. Malik had been consistently working with the 1’s, so...?

Brilliant head fake? 😉

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

I think you have it wrong.  The order should be and will be 1. Joey 2. Bo 3. Cord 4, Willis.  I thought this was cleared up in that misinformation was given concerning the pecking order.  If willis is #1, we are in a world of hurt and will be lucky to win 4 or 5 games. I think come Saturday, we will see Joey and Bo taking the lions share of snaps. I am not saying Willis is a horrible QB but he is not an SEC caliber QB and this will be cleared up Saturday.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Whose notes are you referring to? Please share them. 

Archived