2020 3* QB Chayil Garnett Commits to AU!

aucanucktiger

6 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

that tells me all I need to know.

It tells you nothing. You assume to know more than you do. I know pot meets kettle. I do it to sometimes.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Daniel Thomas (all-SEC safety) and Boobie Whitlow are a couple of others that didn't have any P-5 offers. They worked out very well.

Actually Daniel Thomas was set to sign with Minnesota had we not come through with te late offer. He had 6 other listed P5 offers also per his 247 page.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:
3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I feel like we’re going to try to get a second. Just won’t be at ENSD

Malik Hornsby and Robby Ashford are the only two we’ve offered that aren’t committed elsewhere. I’ve always liked Ashford.

If we add another QB chances are very high it's a transfer now guys.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Daniel Thomas (all-SEC safety) and Boobie Whitlow are a couple of others that didn't have any P-5 offers. They worked out very well.

Thank you for the attempt at building a strawman.  It was wrong, but it was still an attempt.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

It tells you nothing. You assume to know more than you do. I know pot meets kettle. I do it to sometimes.

It tells me that coaches in every major conference,  being paid millions of dollars to evaluate talent, decided to pass on him.  I'm not sure how you can brush that off as "nothing".

20 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Thank you for the attempt at building a strawman.  It was wrong, but it was still an attempt.

I may have missed a bit on Thomas, that was a while back and it's not worth looking up. It's very safe to say that by your criteria AU signing Thomas was a failure. Boobie Whitlow verifies that you are off-track.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I may have missed a bit on Thomas, that was a while back and it's not worth looking up. It's very safe to say that by your criteria AU signing Thomas was a failure. Boobie Whitlow verifies that you are off-track.

Couldn't even go a whole post without trying to create another straw man.

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Couldn't even go a whole post without trying to create another straw man.

Do you even know what a strawman is? Here's the setup in a nutshell: You claim Garnett is not a good prospect because he doesn't have a bunch of major college offers. Thomas had very few such offers and they were bottom end. Whitlow had none. Those are examples that prove your position is flawed. There's no room or need for a strawman or any other discussion.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Do you even know what a strawman is? Here's the setup in a nutshell: You claim Garnett is not a good prospect because he doesn't have a bunch of major college offers. Thomas had very few such offers and they were bottom end. Whitlow had none. Those are examples that prove your position is flawed. There's no room or need for a strawman or any other discussion.

Thomas had P5 offers, yet you're still trying to use him in this discussion where he does not belong.  Whitlow is the one outlier you've been able to find and he's ok.  I'll agree he's better than his recruiting ranking was but he's still a middling SEC back.

The strawman argument came about when you started trying to say things such as "It's very safe to say that by your criteria AU signing Thomas was a failure."

Thomas did not in fact meet the criteria I was discussing re: Garnett nor have I ever mentioned Thomas was a failure.

Let's have a discussion without having to grasp for straws and create arguments that are not within the realm of what is being discussed.

Now's the part where I say we'll revisit in a few years and find out if Garnett was a waste of a scholarship or not.  We have other needs we need to address and this signing will do us zero good if Nix were to go down over the next couple of seasons.

8 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

We have other needs we need to address and this signing will do us zero good if Nix were to go down over the next couple of seasons.

We have open slots going begging, so other needs aren't affected by signing Garnett. Also, you have no idea if Garnett will help or not. Obviously, our coaches who are getting paid big bucks to evaluate talent think he will be an asset. We recruited him and took his commitment very early in the cycle. That indicates that he was someone we thought a lot of, he wasn't some last minute grab-bag pickup.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

We have open slots going begging, so other needs aren't affected by signing Garnett. Also, you have no idea if Garnett will help or not. Obviously, our coaches who are getting paid big bucks to evaluate talent think he will be an asset. We recruited him and took his commitment very early in the cycle. That indicates that he was someone we thought a lot of, he wasn't some last minute grab-bag pickup.

Yes, I agree that makes it worse.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how is his name pronounced? My guess would be a silent H therefore sounding like Cale. 

Just curious. 

On 12/14/2019 at 9:39 AM, dyehardfanAU said:

We're this close to early signing day and I still cannot fathom why we're taking this kid.

Agreed. Kid won’t play a meaningful down for Auburn.

4 hours ago, jluvah said:

Agreed. Kid won’t play a meaningful down for Auburn.

Even if he doesn't every roster needs depth at the QB position. Without him we only have Bo & Cord. That's not depth.

3 hours ago, jluvah said:

Hide and watch.

Soo you want to go into next year with only Bo & Cord on roster? Seems like a recipe for disaster but...

giphy.gif

Gus has been inconsistent at best on his QB evaluations. But here are a couple of things that make me think this Garnett kid may be a really good pickup. First, he shows an offer from Duke and the Ivys. Cutcliffe has as good a record of QB evaluation as anyone in college football, and the Ivy League offers are a sign of strong academics and character. They don’t pursue anything less. A kid with athleticism and high character will often work their way to success. Finally, there has been a recent run of guys who had few offers out of high school who turned out okay. Josh Allen had Zero D1 offers and started for the Bills last night. Baker Mayfield’s offers consisted of FAU, New Mexico, Rice, and Washington State. And there’s a tweet from Joe Burrow in 2013 where he’s begging a recruiting analyst for camp advice because he wasn’t being noticed. I’m not predicting the NFL or a Heisman for Garnett but if he signs as a Tiger, War Eagle to him. Let’s see what he can do. 

If we’re making decisions based on what we’ve seen in high school and depth is what you’re after?  WR Kobe Hudson looks like a more capable backup QB.

172/302 for 3386 yds, 32 Passing TDS and 1410 rushing yds w/ 18 rushing TDS.

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If we’re making decisions based on what we’ve seen in high school and depth is what you’re after?  WR Kobe Hudson looks like a more capable backup QB.

172/302 for 3386 yds, 32 Passing TDS and 1410 rushing yds w/ 18 rushing TDS.

He can be a “just in case of emergency” kind of QB. So hopefully we don’t have to use him at QB. But you can definitely expect that WR reverse pass we used when Ryan Davis was here with him

44 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Gus has been inconsistent at best on his QB evaluations. But here are a couple of things that make me think this Garnett kid may be a really good pickup. First, he shows an offer from Duke and the Ivys. Cutcliffe has as good a record of QB evaluation as anyone in college football, and the Ivy League offers are a sign of strong academics and character. They don’t pursue anything less. A kid with athleticism and high character will often work their way to success. Finally, there has been a recent run of guys who had few offers out of high school who turned out okay. Josh Allen had Zero D1 offers and started for the Bills last night. Baker Mayfield’s offers consisted of FAU, New Mexico, Rice, and Washington State. And there’s a tweet from Joe Burrow in 2013 where he’s begging a recruiting analyst for camp advice because he wasn’t being noticed. I’m not predicting the NFL or a Heisman for Garnett but if he signs as a Tiger, War Eagle to him. Let’s see what he can do. 

The biggest attribute of any player is their heart and that can't be measured by stars.  Look at the young man that's playing for the Steelers right now.  An undrafted free agent that went to Samford.  This kid has smarts, a good family support system and probably a good work ethic.   Over the years, we've always had outliers that nobody else wanted that ended up in the NFL.  Give him a chance.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

WR Kobe Hudson looks like a more capable backup QB.

Too much potential at wide receiver to move him. He’s got the highest upside of any wide receiver commit in our class. Even though he played quarterback during the regular season he excelled at wide receiver at all the camps that he’s been to.

Archived