2020 3* QB Chayil Garnett Commits to AU!

aucanucktiger

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

If we’re making decisions based on what we’ve seen in high school and depth is what you’re after?  WR Kobe Hudson looks like a more capable backup QB.

172/302 for 3386 yds, 32 Passing TDS and 1410 rushing yds w/ 18 rushing TDS.

I'm not a fan of the Lakeland High Dreadnaughts, but they are an area power that gathers talent as Prattville used to do before the tricks were discovered. They pulled Garnett in from his former school so they saw something. Also, according to some accounts, the team seldom throws a pass because they don't often have to pass. Lets give this kid a chance before we do all the stone throwing. If the coaches at Lakeland wanted him and the coaches at AU wanted him, he has a lot of talent.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

No one triggers people more than this kid

I think that's because he's picked up a couple of very vocal bashers. It's the gripers that are being responded to.

39 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

No one triggers people more than this kid

I sorta get it. People are scared of another project. And we just lost Gatewood, and this guy might be the only QB in this class. I understand folks wanting another guy that looks better on paper.

But the negative hyperbole is over the top. 

A lot of names have been thrown around, but I haven't seen Johnathan Wallace mentioned. We've got a spot on this roster for a guy like him. No idea of Garnett is anything like him, though.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I sorta get it. People are scared of another project. And we just lost Gatewood, and this guy might be the only QB in this class. I understand folks wanting another guy that looks better on paper.

But the negative hyperbole is over the top. 

A lot of names have been thrown around, but I haven't seen Johnathan Wallace mentioned. We've got a spot on this roster for a guy like him. No idea of Garnett is anything like him, though.

I get the criticism. But such is the problem with have a true freshman QB who beat out another high profile QB. Nobody wants to come sit behind him for three years.

Jwall was a class act and the last central player I genuinely liked. 😂

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Soo you want to go into next year with only Bo & Cord on roster? Seems like a recipe for disaster but...

giphy.gif

Not saying we don’t need QB depth. Just  saying by looking at his offer list, can we not do better. Sheesh, c’mon, we’re fighting it out with Bowling Green and Costal Carolina for a Qb?

32 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Not saying we don’t need QB depth. Just  saying by looking at his offer list, can we not do better. Sheesh, c’mon, we’re fighting it out with Bowling Green and Costal Carolina for a Qb?

Do better by getting who exactly?

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Do better by getting who exactly?

Shouldn’t you be asking the coaches that question? There’s a guy from Muscle Shoals whose the #6 DT QB in the country committed to Nebraska. This guy is the #23 rated Qb. Sorry, wasted scholarship 

26 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Shouldn’t you be asking the coaches that question? There’s a guy from Muscle Shoals whose the #6 DT QB in the country committed to Nebraska. This guy is the #23 rated Qb. Sorry, wasted scholarship 

Possibly the kid from Muscle Shoals is looking at Bo as a 1st year starter so no PT for 2-3 years so was not interested in Auburn.  Having a Freshman as a starting QB means HS kids don't see opportunity for PT for a while. It is not always that there aren't better players out there it is who you can get.  Plus I think this kid may surprise some people.

41 minutes ago, jluvah said:

He's not the one crapping on this kid's recruitment. 

55 minutes ago, jluvah said:

If he’s committed to Nebraska why would he go to Auburn? Martinez will be a junior next year and there’s a possibility he could be gone after next year. These guys want to play, not sit behind somebody forever

4 hours ago, jluvah said:

& recruiting site ratings aren't everything. Very possible the staff likes Garnett better. Also we won't know if it was wasted til we see him play in college.

Or until we don't see him play. We need to be positive. Hope he helps the football team and has a good experience at Auburn.

5 hours ago, jluvah said:

This wasn’t a very strong class for QBs and also there’s more factors that goes into finding a QB than just going by their ranking. Either the staff saw something they didn’t like with the muscle shoals QB or they just thought Garnett would be a better fit for the offense. 

I realize this is just Highlight film but he has a live arm and his mechanics are decent. He does a good job of setting his feet but showed that he can throw when his feet are not set.  Time will tell if he develops into a solid SEC backup QB or even starting QB. He has potential and if Morris is as good as many say at developing a QB there is hope in his signing.

Archived