Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

101 yards! And the crowd knew it. Pretty cool for Kerryon. He's looked good tonight, and they've said "Auburn" several times, which can't be bad!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Way to go KJ! That's why they drafted him.  I actually like the rotation the Lions are doing.  It keeps defenses guessing with the different styles of back,  and probably allows KJ have more success when he does run.  It worked tonight.  So happy for him. 

4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Way to go KJ! That's why they drafted him.  I actually like the rotation the Lions are doing.  It keeps defenses guessing with the different styles of back,  and probably allows KJ have more success when he does run.  It worked tonight.  So happy for him. 

They didn’t let KJ finish the game. Couldnt risk KJ getting tackled behind the line.

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They didn’t let KJ finish the game. Couldnt risk KJ getting tackled behind the line.

I was hoping he wouldn't get back in as well lol 

6 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Awesome

Basically, KJ’s first game with extended carries killed the drought. Maybe tbey should feed him the totes more often.

Happy for KJ but it says a lot about the direction of the NFL in recent years when getting 100 yards is a rare accomplishment.     Mostly we see guys averaging about +/- 4 yards per carry and a dozen carries per game.....at about $25K per carry?  ..good work if you can get it. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Happy for KJ but it says a lot about the direction of the NFL in recent years when getting 100 yards is a rare accomplishment.     Mostly we see guys averaging about +/- 4 yards per carry and a dozen carries per game.....at about $25K per carry?  ..good work if you can get it. 

The NFL likes versatile backs like McCaffrey,  Chris Thompson, Tarik Cohen, Jerrick McKinnon, and Theo Riddick that can be great third down receiving backs if not starters. The old school bell cows like Leonard Fournette and Josh Howard don’t get as many receiving opportunities and are pretty much becoming a dying breed. 

Vance McDonald just stiff armed some Buccaneer to the unemployment line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The NFL likes versatile backs like McCaffrey,  Chris Thompson, Tarik Cohen, Jerrick McKinnon, and Theo Riddick that can be great third down receiving backs if not starters. The old school bell cows like Leonard Fournette and Josh Howard don’t get as many receiving opportunities and are pretty much becoming a dying breed. 

Vance McDonald just stiff armed some Buccaneer to the unemployment line. 

Peterson can still tote the rock......and a few others but few backs get more than a dozen to fifteen carries a game.    AP is about the last of the old school RBs when guys were pushing 2000 yards per season and averaging 20+ carries per game year after year.  . 

• Like 1

Cam having MVP start to year

Cam Newton on pace to exceed MVP season
By Steven Taranto 15h ago • 2 min read

Given how dominant Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was in 2015 on his way to earning NFL MVP honors, it's hard to imagine Newton having a "career year" in comparison. But so far in 2018, the Panthers' franchise quarterback looks like he could be on pace to do just that.

Through three games in the regular season, the results of Newton's transition to Norv Turner's offensive system have been remarkable: Newton is completing 67.4 of his passes, has a quarterback rating of 99.7, and has a 5-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio (1.1 interception percentage). All marks are better than his career-bests in those categories.

Newton's strong performance through three games has been noticed by everyone on the Panthers - after all, Newton is not the sort to have "quiet" performances. During his Monday morning press conference, head coach Ron Rivera gave a very positive assessment the performance of his quarterback.

"Very consistent is a good word for it," said Rivera. "His play has truly matured, and by that I mean he's learning to take what's being given. In the past he may have tried to force some things downfield. He was a little high early in the game, and then once he kind of got the ball down and went through his reads quickly, he was getting the ball where it needed to be thrown. It was very efficient that way.

"And then the decisions he's making in terms of some of the zone read stuff that we do. On whether or not to hand the ball off or keep it. And again, he's done a great job with that."

Speaking with Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer, general manager Marty Hurney also praised the way Newton has performed early in the season.

"His all-around game is as good as it’s ever been," said Hurney. "He’s confident. He’s making great decisions. And he’s making great throws."

Part of the maturation process of Newton's game has been placing responsibility on himself to have his teammates follow his example. Cam did, however, have a gaffe yesterday when he was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after referees determined that he shoved the ball into the chest of Bengals defensive end Sam Hubbard. Speaking post-game, Newton stated that he wasn't aware that such a move was considered "taunting" by the NFL.

"The defender just kept slapping at the ball," said Newton. "I just gave him the ball, I didn't know that was taunting. Can't do that. Kids, if you're watching, don't do that at home."

Newton also showed how his game has evolved during a play that could have been disastrous for the Panthers. After Carlos Dunlap forced a fumble by Newton in Panthers territory in the fourth quarter, Newton was able to dive for and recover the fumble - something that the Panthers quarterback has been criticized for not doing once before.

"I've been bashed before for not jumping on fumbles," smirked Newton. "So I just wanted to make sure (by) Hell or high water I was gonna get that fumble. Just trying to create good habits."

With the rest of his Panthers teammates, Newton will have the opportunity to assess his season to date and gear up for the stretch run of the season as the Panthers take their Bye Week in Week Four.

Edited by AUBwins

• Like 1

Would make a big difference for us this year to have that guy in the backfield....

Thanks for the two video clips.....two of my all time favorite players at AU....

• Like 1

Leveon reports week 7 during their bye week. Shrewd move as he will get paid a game check to do nothing that week. 

Dee Ford with the sack on Case Keenum!

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 1