Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

This defense is top 3 in sacks and also the offense is top 3 in sacks allowed. Can't play around with them. Cam knows better man..Now the defense smells blood.

Panthers invisible OL....Cam fortunate to get through this without a concussion

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Panthers invisible OL....Cam fortunate to get through this without a concussion

He should’ve saw a couple stunts coming that ended in sacks, but the OL left him out to dry.

4 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Kody Parker had a rough day

All 4 of his missed try’s clanked off tbe upright.

Kerryon had a decent day. 1 rec TD 1 rushing TD

Carolina Panthers ‘to take an honest look at’ Cameron Artis-Payne

Updated Posted 
Staff
Carolina Panthers running back Cameron Artis-Payne carries the football during an NFL game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Oct. 10, 2016, at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. (Streeter Lecka)

Christian McCaffrey hasn’t left much for the Carolina Panthers' No. 2 running back to do this season, but what there is will now be done by former Auburn standout Cameron Artis-Payne.

The Panthers waived running back C.J. Anderson on Monday, elevating Artis-Payne on the depth chart.

“This is an opportunity to give a veteran guy a chance,” Carolina coach Ron Rivera said, “and also more importantly, it gives an opportunity for us to take an honest look at Cap. Cameron Artis-Payne’s been here a few years, and he’s done some good things. But we just haven’t had enough opportunities for him. We’ve put ourselves in a position where we have to find out, so I’m excited for Cameron, and I think this will be a good opportunity for Cap.”

The Panthers signed Anderson in May after he'd been released by the Denver Broncos, even though he ran for 1,007 yards during the 2017 season. But in nine games this season, Anderson had 104 rushing yards on 24 carries and one reception for 24 yards.

In his second NFL season, McCaffrey has 579 yards and four touchdowns on 123 carries and 54 receptions for 439 yards and four TDs while playing 96.3 percent of Carolina's offensive snaps -- the highest playing rate of any NFL running back in 2018.

Rivera said the Panthers thought Artis-Payne could deliver what they would get from Anderson without the frustration felt by a player with more than 3,000 rushing yards now playing an average of six snaps a game.

“It is an important depth piece,” Rivera said, “but when you look at the things that Cap can do in comparison, they’re very similar. And so, again knock on wood, we can maintain and Christian can continue in the role as he is, we should be fine. This was a gamble, but we feel strong enough about Cap that we wanted to give him this opportunity.”

Rivera said he hoped Artis-Payne would be able to take a little more of the burden off McCaffrey.

“I most certainly believe that he can be that guy,” Rivera said. “He’s a tough, hard-nosed young man. He’s waited for his opportunity; he’s earned this opportunity. And, hopefully, when he gets his chance on the football field, he’ll take advantage of it.”

Artis-Payne entered the NFL as a fifth-round draft selection in 2015 after leading the SEC with 1,608 rushing yards for Auburn in 2014.

In his three NFL seasons, Artis-Payne largely served as a stand-in for Jonathan Stewart. When the veteran was banged up, Artis-Payne played, getting in 15 games, including two postseason contests. Overall, Artis-Payne had 429 yards and four touchdowns on 102 carries and eight receptions for 72 yards.

Stewart left the Panthers in the offseason. But the emergence of McCaffrey and the addition of Anderson shut Artis-Payne out of the Carolina game plan. In 2018, he's been active for only two of the Panthers' nine games, with his action limited to 25 special-teams plays.

“He just keeps plugging along,” Rivera said. "He’s been the guy that does the show team running back stuff and just works hard. That was also one of the things we were really impressed with. (General manager) Marty (Hurney) and I talked about that Cap just worked. It’s one of those things that you’re real appreciative of a guy, to a degree, is a little upset that he’s not getting an opportunity to play, but when he does get the chance he’s ready because he’s practiced that way.

"Giving him this chance -- and I shouldn't say giving him -- but him earning this chance, we'll see."

Artis-Payne said he had worked to stay ready.

“Just been working,” Artis-Payne said. “Running, trying to stay in shape, taking as many scout-team reps as I possibly could. Just trying to stay in tip-top shape, preparing for an opportunity.”

Artis-Payne could see his first action with the Carolina offense this season on Sunday, when the Panthers visit the Detroit Lions.

“You don’t want to go out there and do too much,” Artis-Payne said.“You just want to go out there and play to the best of your ability. The offense has been rolling. Christian has shown he’s one of the better backs in this league. When you go in there to spell him, you got to do your job and make sure you’re taking care of the ball.”

Stringer
Carolina Panthers running back Cameron Artis-Payne celebrates with quarterback Cam Newton (1) after scoring a touchdown during an NFL game against the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 13, 2017, at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C.  Grant Halverson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Happy that CAP has been able to hang around the Panthers for several years, draw a pretty good salary I expect and is getting close to being vested in the lucrative NFL pension plan....good for him.    Hope he get some more playing time....Panthers are gonna overwork McCaffrey who is not that big a guy and his the misfortune to be their best runner and also maybe their best pass catcher in the clutch. 

• Like 1

Kerryon J.....running right through the Panthers on Lions first drive.... TD.

• Like 1

In my dreams I keep seeing KJ in an AU uniform again this season......things would be different....mediocre OL or not.....the guy could make yards when needed and thinking JS would look more confident too.     KJ was a huge loss.

• Thanks 1

DAMN CAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!! COME ON!!!!!!! HE WAS WIDE!!!!! Same exact throw basically as the maryland one that was missed on that 2 point conversion.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

How many passes did 17 drop for the Panthers today....dang......hard to believe an NFL professional could do that and still have a job..  So another loss by Panthers to an inferior team...

KJ injury ☹️... 

17 is not really all that great. I hope he isn’t looking for WR1 money this offseason. Samuel and DJ Moore has far exceeded him as far as impact goes. 

Good news: 

Unfortunately he’s probably not playing on Thanksgiving now. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Horrible road record. Could easily be winless on the road if not for a miracle 4th quarter comeback vs the eagles. Undefeated at home. Thank goodness the next couple of Panther games are at home. Though the Panthers have never beat the Seahawks at home in the regular season in the Russell Wilson era. Hope that ends next week.

Well, you know Gano is gonna Gano. 

Why we didn’t just kick the PAT and go to overtime beats me. Kerryon was already out of the game and Detroit only has one decent WR. Rivera showed no confidence in his defense.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

17 is not really all that great. I hope he isn’t looking for WR1 money this offseason. Samuel and DJ Moore has far exceeded him as far as impact goes. 

True but seems he has the ability to get open pretty often and Cam seems to throw to him quite a bit......probably cost them the game today..

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Good news: 

Unfortunately he’s probably not playing on Thanksgiving now. 

Dang that sucks. I was actually excited to watch the Lions game Thursday.  Crap. 

Just now, AUBwins said:

Carlson hits a GW FG as the clock hits :00. Awesome!

He has rebounded nicely! The last two weeks his leg has been true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

He has rebounded nicely! The last two weeks his leg has been true. 

This is exactly what he needed, considering he lost a game this year.  Great to see him get it done. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Carlson hits a GW FG as the clock hits :00. Awesome!

THAT IS OUR GUY BRO!!!!!!!!! OUR BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAIDER FOR LIFE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! If Leath was the owner of the raiders he would give him a lifetime contract!!!! lol But seriously so happy for DC!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1