Campbell overrated?

vatz22au

Here

THIS GUY DOES NOT KNOW FOOTBALL!!!! My god...... did he not grasp the fact that Campbell had 4 different coord.??????? 2 of them actually proved to be great coordinators....what happened in those seasons...um, Campbell had a break out year with Petrino and Borges.

Like this quote guys?

"For most of his career, Campbell struggled with the mental aspect of the game, making poor decisions and struggling to pick up offensive schemes"

Im sure having one of the best pass percentages while having a different coord. every year means he made bad desicisions and struggled to pick up things.

What about this quote?

"He finally thrived in the West Coast offense employed by his fourth coordinator in as many years, Al Borges, but several of Borges' predecessors found themselves simplifying their playbooks as much as possible to appease Campbell."

Did he make that up? Is this how he gets his paycheck...by checking out a player for about 5 minutes, and trying to analyze the player for 4 years of college ball? It seems to me the way this guy talks, that he didnt do a full background check on any of the players he talked about.

As I remember, Jason's sophmore year with Petrino was a great one....had a bad junior year because of NALL...NOT HIS INABILITY DUMBASS...then had another great senior season (heisman contention).

This guy is a deusch.......looks like Dilbert anyways. Whats he doing talking about sports, the more he talks, the more I realize he really doesnt know much about these players.

By the way...the guy states Frank Gore out of Miami as overrated compared to UNDERRATED Sproles...... SPROLES IS 5-7 IDIOT.....

This guy needs to be fired...his analysis of players is mind boggling, its almost like he made up 50% of the stuff he wrote.

3. Cleveland: I just have a feeling that Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell is in the Browns' future. It makes too much sense. They need a long-term quarterback, they like what they've seen out of the kid, whose talents in the dropback and running game were hidden by the great crop of rushers at Auburn. Campbell should go right around the 34th overall selection, which is where the Browns pick in the second round. And he would be a steal, by the way. That doesn't help me much here. I'm sure Romeo Crennel would like to start rebuilding his defense, but any defensive player would be a reach here (unless Crennel's in love with either Antrel Rolle or Adam "Pac Man" Jones at cornerback, which I don't think he is.) Cleveland is threatless at receiver, so that's where I'm going, giving the Browns the best player on several teams' overall draft boards. The pick: Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards.

Whatever team "gets" Jason will get a VERY GOOD qb and an even better leader and human.

I think he kinda' likes it when folks "underrate" him. :au:

but several of Borges' predecessors found themselves simplifying their playbooks as much as possible to appease Campbell."

Unfortunately, Tuberville fed this notion when trying to justify playing Daniel Cobb. Remember the comment about with Jason they'd have to run a high school offense? One of Tubby's least classy moments, IMHO.

Hmm, wonder who knows more...professional NFL scouts and coaches, some of whom don't even understand why Campbell isn't right up there with Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers, or some guy who might have played football back in Pop Warner league and lives vicariously through others now? Hmmmmm. :moon:

Well said Titan. Far too many of these morons "write" about subjects that they have no clue about to begin with.

I think most "experts" have Jason rated as more or less the third best QB up for grabs & late first/early second round, which I think is probably a fair enough rating.

I do expect him to take a year or two to grow into the NFL system just as it did take him a few years to really grow into the college system. I mean--all discussion of multiple OC's aside--how many of you would have really drafted Jason in the 1st or 2nd round coming out of his freshman or sophomore college seasons, if you were an NFL general manager? I will not be at all surprized to see him performing better than Smith or Rodgers in 2-3 years, but I imagine they will look a little better in their rookie year.

But I don't consider that in any way a slam on Jason--I think he's going to have a long and impressive pro career. He seems to have the size and smarts to be a great NFL quarterback, but he may need to grow into the role and develop a little pro confidence as he did in college.

Regarding QB's in general, this was an interesting article:

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Draft/Draft_101.htm

Don't draft a quarterback in the first two rounds unless he does something at an elite level

Unless a quarterback has some otherworldly talent like Michael Vick's speed, Donovan McNabb's magical intangibles or Daunte Culpepper's size, don't take a quarterback in the first two rounds. The numbers simply don't lie.

In the past, you could draft a quarterback, ease him into the mix, and turn him loose after a few seasons of seasoning. No more. Now, the quarterback has to come in and turn things around right away, but almost no quarterback is ready to become a star in his rookie year. 

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to draft a quarterback when there are so many good ones out there that can fit into the right system like a Marc Bulger. Let someone else develop your quarterback.

I think Campbell is a question mark to a lot of people, and I see why. Heck, we all watched the 2003 season. How many delay-of-games, fumbles and stupid sacks did Jason have that year? Maybe it was the Borge’s offense or maybe he got something right in his head. But he just simply wasn’t the same player this past year.

He was incredible!

I’m not going to fault Mandel for this one. I think he will be proven to be dead wrong in a couple of years … but the question mark for Jason is legit at this point.

Whatever team "gets" Jason will get a VERY GOOD qb and an even better leader and human.

I think he kinda' likes it when folks "underrate" him. :au:

156596[/snapback]

Agree 100%, Tim. He will definitely be a better leader & human and he's had worse things said about him than that he's overrated! ;)

I think Campbell is a question mark to a lot of people, and I see why. Heck, we all watched the 2003 season. How many delay-of-games, fumbles and stupid sacks did Jason have that year?  Maybe it was the Borge’s offense or maybe he got something right in his head. But he just simply wasn’t the same player this past year.

He was incredible!

I’m not going to fault Mandel for this one.  I think he will be proven to be dead wrong in a couple of years … but the question mark for Jason is legit at this point.

156627[/snapback]

I agree with this for the most part.

Hmm, wonder who knows more...professional NFL scouts and coaches, some of whom don't even understand why Campbell isn't right up there with Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers...

156607[/snapback]

Two words: Wonderlic Score

Physically JC is probably the most gifted QB in the draft, sans Matt Jones who is looking to be drafted as a TE/WR.

Excluding his So. (under Petrino) and Sr. seasons, JC was inconsistent in his play. If his #1 receiver was not (wide) open, making the 2nd and 3rd read was non-existent, often resulting in a sack. Reading the defense and calling the correct play often resulted in disaster. JC often lacked the confidence to throw to them (WR) unless absolutely wide open. Don't forget Tubby's comment about JC not being able to run a high school offense early...

But also keep in mind the guy survived 4 OCs during his AU career. That may be a testament to his character in and of itself. I hope JC does well in whatever he chooses to do as a career. Thanks for the great senior season.

:au:

Hmm, wonder who knows more...professional NFL scouts and coaches, some of whom don't even understand why Campbell isn't right up there with Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers...

156607[/snapback]

Physically JC is probably the most gifted QB in the draft, sans Matt Jones who is looking to be drafted as a TE/WR.

Excluding his So (under Petrino) and Sr. seasons, JC was inconsistent in his play. If his #1 receiver was not (wide) open, making the 2nd and 3rd read was non-existent, often resulting in a sack. Reading the defense and calling the correct play often resulted in disaster. JC often lacked the confidence to throw to them unless absolutely wide open. Don't forget Tubby's comment about JC not being able to run a high school offense early...

But also keep in mind the guy survived 4 OCs during his AU career. That may be a testament to his character in and of itself. I hope JC does well in whatever he chooses to do as a career. Thanks for the great senior season.

156656[/snapback]

But see thats just it....who were the offensive coord. those years?? Could the lack of COACHING not be at fault here? Seems like when an actual coordinator came into the program, Jason had no problem at all. You cant blame jason's "inconsistency" on him given the fact that when he had a good coach, the results spoke very well. You could very well blame it on him given the fact that hes the player...but when you step back from all that, you need to consider who is telling him," Ok...when you hike, look for this read, look for this coverage, etc"....DO Y'ALL REALLY THINK A LINE COACH TOLD JASON TO DO ALL THESE THINGS?!?!? HELL NO

Thats why you see the great results with Borges and Petrino....they actually helped coach the qbs on what reads to make and the right targets to aim at.

Cmon guys, you know football is alot more than just the players, we see it every season in college football. A #1 season in 2003 came to a crushing halt just because of that one thing....Nall. I believe if Borges were the coord. in 2003, we would have two undefeated seasons on our hands as of now.

This idiot writes for Sports ILLUSTRATED which is kind of like writing for Playboy. I subscribed to SI for one year and other than looking at the nice pictures the magazine was pretty much useless. They do have a nice swimsuit issue but I cannot remember if it had any words in it. :big:

156607[/snapback]

Excluding his So (under Petrino) and Sr. seasons, JC was inconsistent in his play. If his #1 receiver was not (wide) open, making the 2nd and 3rd read was non-existent, often resulting in a sack. Reading the defense and calling the correct play often resulted in disaster. JC often lacked the confidence to throw to them unless absolutely wide open. Don't forget Tubby's comment about JC not being able to run a high school offense early...

156656[/snapback]

But see thats just it....who were the offensive coord. those years?? Could the lack of COACHING not be at fault here? Seems like when an actual coordinator came into the program, Jason had no problem at all. You cant blame jason's "inconsistency" on him given the fact that when he had a good coach, the results spoke very well. You could very well blame it on him given the fact that hes the player...but when you step back from all that, you need to consider who is telling him," Ok...when you hike, look for this read, look for this coverage, etc"....DO Y'ALL REALLY THINK A LINE COACH TOLD JASON TO DO ALL THESE THINGS?!?!? HELL NO

Thats why you see the great results with Borges and Petrino....they actually helped coach the qbs on what reads to make and the right targets to aim at.

Cmon guys, you know football is alot more than just the players, we see it every season in college football. A #1 season in 2003 came to a crushing halt just because of that one thing....Nall. I believe if Borges were the coord. in 2003, we would have two undefeated seasons on our hands as of now.

156657[/snapback]

Remember that Petrino preferred Cobb over Campbell until Cobb proved that he was legitimately color-blind, helplessly uncoordinated and therfore benched.

2003 will always be a bitter pill for me to swallow. Our defensive unit was better than the 2004 unit but received absolutely zero help from the offensive side of the ball. What could have been if Tubby had of hired a halfway competent OC...

Campbell still completed over 60% of his passes every single year. Why does it matter what he did the years before so much? Do players not grow? Although I can see where people will have their doubts, since he didn't perform like a heisman all of his other years. Look at Jason White, he was a heisman winner and talked as the best QB in college football during his years, but he isn't being drafted high.

Archived