Pat Dye speaks

quietfan

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...47862171920.xml

Dye disputes designation of best backs

Tommy Tuberville recently called Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams the best running-back tandem in Auburn history. Considering the two were integral cogs in Auburn's 13-0 season and are likely to be among the top picks in today's NFL draft, one might be reluctant to raise a ruckus.

In the draft's history, only three times have two running backs from the same college gone in the opening round and never has it happened in the top 10. But while Brown and Williams will go in the history books in the annals of the NFL draft today, there is one man who isn't even sure they are the best running-back duo in Auburn history. Maybe, not even second best.

Who says?

Pat Dye, that's who.

While the legendary Auburn coach repeatedly heaped praise on Brown and Williams this week, Dye refused to give them the nod over the combustive combination of Bo Jackson and Brent Fullwood in the '80s and, to add to insult to injury, refused to rank them ahead of another Auburn duo -- James Brooks and Joe Cribbs, both of whom went on to impressive NFL careers.

"Bo was better than any of them," Dye said. "Ain't nobody as good as Bo."

"Brent was as good as either one of them (Brown and Williams)," Dye said. "But I wouldn't go so far as to say he was better. Brent could score from anywhere on the field. Bo and Brent were faster than both of them, though."

Realizing he might have put his foot in his mouth, Dye turned diplomat, saying: "I've never seen two running backs who were the same."

"It's just not fair to judge Carnell and Ronnie to Bo and Brent," Dye said.

Why not?

"Well," Dye said, "it's just different."

But your guys were better, right?

"Bo was better than any one of them," Dye said. "Brent was as good as any of them."

Bottom line: They're all great players, says Dye. If Tuberville wants to say his two are better, Dye is not going to fuss and fight about it. He won't say Tubs is wrong. He sure won't say he's right, either.

But what I really liked in his comments was this:

What Dye will say unmistakably is that everybody is focusing on the wrong side of the ball.

"The key to Auburn's undefeated season last year was the defense," Dye said. "After watching the spring game, I think they're going to be damn good this year, too."

Archived