Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

better safe than sorry? if bo and joey both got hurt folks would complain gus did not get the backups enough snaps. am i right?

Yes, but he’s not basing practice off of what the fans complain about. 

I never thought of the Red Shirt option. I have no doubt Gus knows what he’s doing, but if you need these two freshman to get as much experience as possible, why are you giving your third string quarterback the same amount of snaps?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

I never thought of the Red Shirt option. I have no doubt Gus knows what he’s doing, but if you need these two freshman to get as much experience as possible, why are you giving your third string quarterback the same amount of snaps?

i agree but in the past we dang near had to run out the ball boy to qb with all the injuries. i just think it is smart football. and like another poster said if nix gets the redshirt we need another backup option right?

20 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

any idea of why they would do that? just curious. thanx

We know what we have in Seth. They probably wanted to see what guys like Matthew Hill and Shedrick Jackson could do. 

15 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

It was my first thought that he’s giving Cord some experience just to finish games if Bo redshirts...or if Joey transfers. That’s a possibility too. 

I'm glad to see all 3 get reps, it helps to be prepared for the future.  I want to see Cord in game action this yr.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

OL was terrible last year and it's expecting a bit much to think they will all of a sudden turn into a dominant group IMO. All the experience in the world doesn't make up for lack of ability.

If we can be average that will be a big step up from last season

I think being wrecked by backups, with us having like 3 guys hurt, is very far from average 

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think being wrecked by backups, with us having like 3 guys hurt, is very far from average 

Yeah we are closer to sucking than being average if our 2s are dominating our 1s but I didn't wanna say that out loud lolol

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i agree but in the past we dang near had to run out the ball boy to qb with all the injuries. i just think it is smart football. and like another poster said if nix gets the redshirt we need another backup option right?

Yes, maybe that’s it.

Is Cord a lefty? Maybe he wanted to show the defense how a lefty ball spins differently. If Joey is QB1, I like the idea of red-shirting Bo if Sandberg is an adequate enough backup.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also, like you said, it's one thing to say "Auburn's offensive line improved" and it's another thing to say "Auburn's offensive line is ready to compete in the SEC in 2019". Some of us tried to tell some others that over the summer. They were still way behind at the end of last year. 

Also, there's been talk that we changed our blocking schemes again. That might be for the better, but that's just more change that they'll have to work through for now. (Really crazy that Gus immediately hired Grimes without even considering anyone else and now we're hearing that he brought in a kid from Memphis who changed the way we block after one season of Grimes.)

That all said, I don't think anybody's giving up on the season or anything. You just wanted to see better from the group that we need the most improvement from.

I really believe everyone is not understanding this.  First off, just because Gus Malzahn says the  o-line is going to be a team strength, in absolutely no way means it will.  I am not going to list everytime Gus has said a unit or  player has "improved" or is going to be a team "strength" instead I will  let someone just start  an argument with me and prove  them wrong with facts.    Out of the seven SEC West teams last season I would say our o-line was about fifth.  So im proved could still be good enough for fifth this season.  Or fourth.  I do believe the o-line has improved.  I honestly do,  but improved  enough to take on Alabama, MSU, LSU, UGA, UF even a young aTm front seven?   Ha.  Even assuming our  starting o-line  is ready to  compete against those  front seven's, how good  is our depth? Not sayin, just  sayin!

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

In case Nix gets the job and Gatewood transfers then Cord will be ready as a back up.

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

They are facing the best D-line in college football. I would hope they'd lose badly this point in fall camp. 

No doubt about our DL. Good thing we will not be lining up across from them but we will line up across from other schools with good to great DLs as well as linebackers.. etc. OL has to get it together if we have any chance of winning with our freshmen QB.  And they better be light years better than they were last year. 

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Our desperate need for OL commits didn't win many recruiting battles for the 2019 class...  And you could make a great case that we are indeed killing it.  Enough to make WDE come out and say he is impressed.

Last years  o-line situation was reminiscent of 2015 QB situation. By the time Gus  realized he didn't have a viable option at QB mid season he panicked and signed the only JUCO QB available JF3.  The following year he signed Malik.  After MSO last year he realized just how much he had neglected  o-line recruiting and tried to flip players starting mid season or just started trying to recruit from scratch and build relationships with high school players two months before early signing period.  Now Gus has two o-linemen I am pretty impressed with and another two than seem promising along with two JUCO transfers.  But this is  now a re-occurring issue with Gus, he has to have a mid season crises and be firmly on the hot seat and fighting off a potential disaster realizing that he didn't  properly recruit and has to  try and play catch up.

8 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

In case Nix gets the job and Gatewood transfers then Cord will be ready as a back up.

Good point!

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Last years  o-line situation was reminiscent of 2015 QB situation. By the time Gus  realized he didn't have a viable option at QB mid season he panicked and signed the only JUCO QB available JF3.  The following year he signed Malik.  After MSO last year he realized just howmuch he had neglected  o=line recruiting and tried to flip players starting mid season or just started trying to recruit from scratch and build relationships with high school players two months before early signing period.  Now Gus has two o-linemen I am pretty impressed with and another two than seem promising along with two JUCO transfers.  But this is  now a reoccurring issue with Gus, he has to have a mid season crises and be firmly on the hot seat and fightin of a potential disaster realizing that he didn't  properly recruiting and has to  try and play catch up.

It was worse than that, he skipped over the best JUCO QB available (Jerod Evans) to  sign JF3.  Your dead in on your assessment of Gus' lack of a comprehensive recruiting strategy.

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Is Cord a lefty? Maybe he wanted to show the defense how a lefty ball spins differently. If Joey is QB1, I like the idea of red-shirting Bo if Sandberg is an adequate enough backup.

I like this idea myself....provided Bo's truly no threat to transfer. 

10 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I really believe everyone is not understanding this.  First off, just because Gus Malzahn says the  o-line is going to be a team strength, in absolutely no way means it will.  I am not going to list everytime Gus has said a unit or  player has "improved" or is going to be a team "strength" instead I will  let someone just start  an argument with me and prove  them wrong with facts.    Out of the seven SEC West teams last season I would say our o-line was about fifth.  So im proved could still be good enough for fifth this season.  Or fourth.  I do believe the o-line has improved.  I honestly do,  but improved  enough to take on Alabama, MSU, LSU, UGA, UF even a young aTm front seven?   Ha.  Even assuming our  starting o-line  is ready to  compete against those  front seven's, how good  is our depth? Not sayin, just  sayin!

So it wasn’t Gus that was saying the OL improved.  It was other people that were ranking them high, like Phil Steele, and Cole Cubelic to name two off of the top off my head.  Cole actually had Auburn 4th in the SEC in top OL, ahead of LSU.  Then players like Derick Brown coming out and saying they were flat out beat with one-on-ones against guys like Horton in the spring.

So, my reasoning is with all of these positive reports coming out of the spring, and one bad outing, let’s give them another shot before we try to pass judgement.  Not saying they will be Elite, but my guess is they are certainly better than their representation from the first scrimmage.  

10 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Last years  o-line situation was reminiscent of 2015 QB situation. By the time Gus  realized he didn't have a viable option at QB mid season he panicked and signed the only JUCO QB available JF3.  The following year he signed Malik.  After MSO last year he realized just how much he had neglected  o-line recruiting and tried to flip players starting mid season or just started trying to recruit from scratch and build relationships with high school players two months before early signing period.  Now Gus has two o-linemen I am pretty impressed with and another two than seem promising along with two JUCO transfers.  But this is  now a re-occurring issue with Gus, he has to have a mid season crises and be firmly on the hot seat and fighting off a potential disaster realizing that he didn't  properly recruit and has to  try and play catch up.

Regarding JFIII, Gus was pressured to go get one that second.  It was more of an impulse buy to appease everyone.  

I think we will be seeing less of this now that Gus has surrounded himself with elite recruiters.  The 2020 cycle Gus is killing it with Dilly/Caddy/T-Will.  Our 2020 class is now ranked 6th in the country.  With who is still on the board it could go higher.  Looking beyond that I love our 2021 and 2022 guys currently committed.  

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Regarding JFIII, Gus was pressured to go get one that second.  It was more of an impulse buy to appease everyone.  

I think we will be seeing less of this now that Gus has surrounded himself with elite recruiters.  The 2020 cycle Gus is killing it with Dilly/Caddy/T-Will.  Our 2020 class is now ranked 6th in the country.  With who is still on the board it could go higher.  Looking beyond that I love our 2021 and 2022 guys currently committed.  

Lashlee was the guy that wanted JF3. 

As for the OL, I have less concerns for the starting OL as I do for the backups. Aside from a couple, Brahms and Sharp, we don’t know what we have.

15 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Any thoughts on this?

I’m glad to see Cord getting some reps. Regardless of our other 2 guys being freshmen, we are an ankle twist of jammed finger away from Cord being our number 2 guy. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Aside from a couple, Brahms and Sharp, we don’t know what we have.

This is true, but there is a lot of young talent for the inside spots. People (myself included at times) often bash Gus over his OL recruiting, however the OL wasn't ignored. Just OT is what's currently short on talent. We have signed a lot of extremely talented youngsters at OG and one or two of those OGs will likely end up a center.

16 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is true, but there is a lot of young talent for the inside spots. People (myself included at times) often bash Gus over his OL recruiting, however the OL wasn't ignored. Just OT is what's currently short on talent. We have signed a lot of extremely talented youngsters at OG and one or two of those OGs will likely end up a center.

I just wanna win championships man. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I just wanna win championships man. 

Me too brother.

Gus fan - Gus haters

It's really difficult staying neutral about Gus... 

Everyone just wants what they feel is best for Auburn football. We all just want Auburn to win. 

One thing for sure EVERY decision right or wrong someone will dress it up and try to explain it ok.....I've learned you just have to realize who you're talking to then go on from there

Archived