Auburn’s Offense vs Oregon’s Defense.

WarEagleHunter1221

https://youtu.be/wY8WXDdump4

Shoutout to WarRoomEagle for always posting these. I miss a lot during real time so it’s nice to be able to slow it down and catch everything. 

I counted 9 throws where Bo didn’t really have much of a choice but to throw it away. There was also some questionable PIs that were not called. I counted at least three. 

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Shoutout to WarRoomEagle for always posting these. I miss a lot during real time so it’s nice to be able to slow it down and catch everything. 

I counted 9 throws where Bo didn’t really have much of a choice but to throw it away. There was also some questionable PIs that were not called. I counted at least three. 

Yes, there were several bammers in our watch party. One is an college baseball umpire who also used to be a high school football official.  He agreed there were at least three uncalled PIs. I do love these videos.  

10 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Yes, there were several bammers in our watch party. One is an college baseball umpire who also used to be a high school football official.  He agreed there were at least three uncalled PIs. I do love these videos.  

The one against Sal at the end was blatant and would definitely be talked about more had we lost 

Oregon definitely was crashing to stop the run. Even later in the game when we just went full run. Boobee had no where to go but made huge effort plays a few times to still pick up yards. I do wish there were some short pass options for Bo to make. Even on his touchdown pass it was a called run and Boobee kind of stalled because he didn't get the ball. We have to stop running the same dumb play after we get a first down. 

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Oregon definitely was crashing to stop the run. Even later in the game when we just went full run. Boobee had no where to go but made huge effort plays a few times to still pick up yards. I do wish there were some short pass options for Bo to make. Even on his touchdown it was a run. We have to stop running the same dumb play after we get a first down. 

I would love to see a critique of Cristobal from some of our fans....the guy who played for Nick and is supposed to be the next great coach?  

So what coach with a first round NFL pick at QB and supposedly the best OL in the nation spends all day having his QB throw 5 yard +/- minus passes?     And needing a foot, gives the ball to the TB five yards off the line of scrimmage?   And that's just for starters.

Gus is certainly not a perfect coach, not near it....but many of the comments make it seem so automatic that other coaches would do better or make better play calls….and second guessing the calls without even looking at the details of a play call and why it was made or ignoring breakdowns by players that doom the play....and of course, ignoring good plays by the opposition. . 

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I would love to see a critique of Cristobal from some of our fans....the guy who played for Nick and is supposed to be the next great coach?  

So what coach with a first round NFL pick at QB and supposedly the best OL in the nation spends all day having his QB throw 5 yard +/- minus passes?     And needing a foot, gives the ball to the TB five yards off the line of scrimmage?   And that's just for starters.

Gus is certainly not a perfect coach, not near it....but many of the comments make it seem so automatic that other coaches would do better or make better play calls….and second guessing the calls without even looking at the details of a play call and why it was made or ignoring breakdowns by players that doom the play....and of course, ignoring good plays by the opposition. . 

I know alot of the Oregon fans are hating on him hard saying that he didn't manage the gameclock and that he gave the game away. Here are my $0.02 worth.

I thought the plan to attack us with quick passes on the RPO was a great plan. If you are facing one of the best defensive fronts in College football in the 1st game you build confidence and you attack weakness. I think that was spot on. I also believe he did a decent job of game management with the exception of a couple of things. 

1.-How mad would we be if we called TO on the very 1st play of the year?

2. Calling back to back time outs on the 4th and 1 ( although this one I understand because you want the right play plus it wouldnt have made a difference anyway.

I think they didnt take many deep shots because He didn't have a whole heck of a lot of time after the 1st quarter and when he did we had good coverage. They had the lead or I think MC would have had him take more 50/50 shots probably...thats damned if you do damned if you don't. 

I think the biggest problem was having that lead and playing not to lose instead of putting foot on the gas. Overall I thought a well coached game on both sides. JM2CW

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Overall I thought a well coached game on both sides. JM2CW

Agree....and trying to find this fault or that?   guess people can do that but like watching a baseball game and complaining about a handful of pitches out of 100....and maybe not accepting that what looks good when you call it, does not work out so well when the other side reacts. 

I watch a lot of football and see coaches with 30 years HC experience do inexplicable things.....but somewhere in their stats or experience is the "knowledge" that the play should work....and of course we can run a play off tackle that gets stuff and folks complain, maybe forgetting that the play was successful a series or so back....or that the same call later on goes for a dozen.  :dunno:   second guessing the coaches is national sport ...

may the draw play to Worm could have been a huge gainer if he had kept his feet. He had a lot of room to run if he got past the DL who all had a man on them. I hope he doesn't turn into another Ontario where his feet were too fast to stay underneath him lol.

Also, on maybe the first or second drive where Nix had to throw it away due to a missed block by Worm there was an underneath drag route happening......we do some intermediate routes its seems!

Not trying to pick on Worm here.....just 2 plays that stood out to me. I actually thought the missed block by worm was a big ask from him. He had to go across the LOS to get the blitzing OLB.....tough play for any back much less a smaller one. He did take a bad angle though

27 minutes ago, gravejd said:

may the draw play to Worm could have been a huge gainer if he had kept his feet. He had a lot of room to run if he got past the DL who all had a man on them. I hope he doesn't turn into another Ontario where his feet were too fast to stay underneath him lol.

Also, on maybe the first or second drive where Nix had to throw it away due to a missed block by Worm there was an underneath drag route happening......we do some intermediate routes its seems!

Not trying to pick on Worm here.....just 2 plays that stood out to me. I actually thought the missed block by worm was a big ask from him. He had to go across the LOS to get the blitzing OLB.....tough play for any back much less a smaller one. He did take a bad angle though

That draw play he actually appeared to trip on Prince Tega's leg. tega took a step back right as Worm was rounding the hip. I was like "Man nothing but Green!!!"

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That draw play he actually appeared to trip on Prince Tega's leg. tega took a step back right as Worm was rounding the hip. I was like "Man nothing but Green!!!"

yeah excellent point....he was certainly tripped up unlike Onterio who was always running into that turf monster when coming around the edge

25 minutes ago, gravejd said:

yeah excellent point....he was certainly tripped up unlike Onterio who was always running into that turf monster when coming around the edge

Worm is not OM. Worm will be just fine. 

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

The one against Sal at the end was blatant and would definitely be talked about more had we lost 

The one on Sal looks even worse in slow motion. The ball was underthrown but had Sal not been dragged to the ground I think he makes the catch. The one that’s was really bad was on I think Stove (can’t see his jersey number). He appears to be going out in the flat with Bo play action passing to the same side. Bo had to throw it in the dirt because the CB literally snagged Stove’s front jersey and did not let go. The Oregon crowd booed because they wanted grounding but Stove was in the area and they missed the hold. Auburn ran close to the same play earlier in the game and Stove went for 9. He would have went for a lot more this time because he was wide open with blocking down field. It’s at the 1:48 mark. That’s the one that makes me mad. I see how they missed it but man it could have been a big gain. 

One thing I noticed: If Nix could have connected on a couple of those middle screens, we would have burned Oregon for coming with such a heavy rush.  Hopefully, they'll get that cleaned up.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

He would have been crucified for his use of time outs.  and rightly so.

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Calling back to back time outs on the 4th and 1 ( although this one I understand because you want the right play plus it wouldnt have made a difference anyway.

He called back to back TOs believing it would allow the injured Herbert back in the game. 

13 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

That’s true but in the first half Bo didn’t do a great job setting his protection in pre-snap. Second half was much better as were the results. Freshman learning 😁

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Agree....and trying to find this fault or that?   guess people can do that but like watching a baseball game and complaining about a handful of pitches out of 100....and maybe not accepting that what looks good when you call it, does not work out so well when the other side reacts. 

I watch a lot of football and see coaches with 30 years HC experience do inexplicable things.....but somewhere in their stats or experience is the "knowledge" that the play should work....and of course we can run a play off tackle that gets stuff and folks complain, maybe forgetting that the play was successful a series or so back....or that the same call later on goes for a dozen.  :dunno:   second guessing the coaches is national sport ...

I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing out ways to improve. Even when people were saying their throw in Gatewood, I thought they were overreacting. When they were ripping the defense I was saying that we're playing a good team. People were picking us to beat Oregon by 20. I picked us to win by a narrow margin. By 1 I think.

People disrespect other teams, which is fine, but Auburn seems to have level playing fields with no matter who we play. I'm okay with giving Gus a pass, but it shouldn't just be one play he should want back.... There's whole series that just weren't called with proper intention

6 hours ago, Viper said:

He called back to back TOs believing it would allow the injured Herbert back in the game. 

Yeah and we also punted back to them one more time after we stopped them on fourth down. They had another opportunity to do something on O and couldn't .. so it's all moot in my opinion

23 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Bookmarked that channel on YouTube for future reference. Thanks!

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Over the last 5 years, Auburn has averaged a 44th place finish in team offense. Over that same stretch, the defense has averaged a 34th place finish, and that includes 2 sub-60th finishes in 2014 and 2015. The last 3 years, since Kevin Steele arrived, the offense and defense have averaged 41st and 11th place finishes, respectively. 

We have averaged top-12 recruiting classes in that time.

It's not like Gus has had a bad call here or there. It's not like he's just had a little bad luck in this season or that one. His offense consistently under-performs, particularly relative to talent level and to what other coaches on his own staff are capable of. 

Does it mean we should fire him? Nope. But it 100% gives the fans the right to question his leadership of our offense. In fact, it's only logical to wonder why we haven't gotten better results. 

We wore down Oregon's D by pounding it win lose or draw, then beat them in Q4 when they were too tired, and it was awesome. 

But it will only net us 7 or 8. We play a few teams that can run that game all day long and lol about it.

8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah and we also punted back to them one more time after we stopped them on fourth down. They had another opportunity to do something on O and couldn't .. so it's all moot in my opinion

And on that opportunity, they called a deep dropback pass on 2nd & 7. Sacked for a loss of 7. That asinine call thwarted their own chances of running out the clock.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Over the last 5 years, Auburn has averaged a 44th place finish in team offense. Over that same stretch, the defense has averaged a 34th place finish, and that includes 2 sub-60th finishes in 2014 and 2015. The last 3 years, since Kevin Steele arrived, the offense and defense have averaged 41st and 11th place finishes, respectively. 

We have averaged top-12 recruiting classes in that time.

It's not like Gus has had a bad call here or there. It's not like he's just had a little bad luck in this season or that one. His offense consistently under-performs, particularly relative to talent level and to what other coaches on his own staff are capable of. 

Does it mean we should fire him? Nope. But it 100% gives the fans the right to question his leadership of our offense. In fact, it's only logical to wonder why we haven't gotten better results. 

His offense has changed very little since he returned as HC.  He has got to change it up.  He makes very few adjustments in his offense to take advantage of what the defense is doing.  He thinks his offense will work no matter what the defense does. 

Great video and really helps to get a better idea of where we are on O.  Not very impressed with play-calling BUT the O line looked pretty bad most of the game.  Gus had some dud play calls at critical moments of the game but also had some good ones as well.  Not sure why we didn't open up the passing game in the middle of the field.  Mostly to the sideline.  It appears we are trying to work a back shoulder throw into the playbook but did not complete one that I remember.  Prince had two crucial false starts.  2nd and first half of the 3rd quarter were AWFUL.  Was REALLY impressed with Whitlow.  I did not see many plays where the O line gave him much to work with and that concerns me.  I do appreciate Malzahn letting Nix loose but it looked too much like playground football.  Nix had no easy options and it did not appear the WR's were coming back to help him out after running their routes.  His deep balls were very accurate so that's a plus! 

22 minutes ago, around4ever said:

His offense has changed very little since he returned as HC.  He had got to change it up.  He makes very few adjustments in his offense to take advantage of what the defense is doing.  He thinks his offense will work no matter what the defense does. 

THIS does concern me greatly as well.  He has the tendency to keep forcing the square block into the round hole. 

Archived